Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- paolov74 - 2012-03-06

@voip-ninja

I'll try to be very clear about my setup...

All of my movies are in 23,976 format (mkv and bluray folder rips): I tried to play them with Ati 23hz (23.977, more or less) setting and bitstreaming, both with mpc-hc+reclock and xbmc sync to playback...failing to achieve 0 frame drops (but I got no audio drops at all). Maybe my rig is not stable enough, anyway...

So I tried with a more stable refresh: 24hz (24.000 fps): this way I can bitstream dts-hd, dts, ac3 and truehd (at least with DanielaE's build and first DDDamian one) with sync playback to video, drop/dupe audio, without a single audio or video drop.
Right, no audio glitches or dropouts. In the advancedsettings.xml I forced the refresh rate for 23,976 movies to switch to exactly 24hz.

I already excluded AVR from the chain (htpc---> TV directly) with same results. My tv is able to do 24p (I alredy tried with a blu-ray player with 24p output).

With reclock and lavfilters I have exactly the same results as for latest DDDamian builds: DTS-HD, AC3 and DTS are perfectly bitstreamed (@24hz) with no video frame drops (0 in an entire movie) and no audio glitches; TrueHD drops every 40 second (exactly during resyncing audio to video).

So I'm using the first eden beta3 DDDamian build cause, for my rig, is perfect also for TrueHD, except for sync issue easily corrected by adjusting audio offset at movie start.

Maybe is a weird setup, but I got the clue to set refresh to 24hz from other forums. Early on I had a totally different system with a geforce 430...I got exactly same results described before. The magic option was to set the refresh to exactly 24hz (24.000) and bitstreaming dropping/duping audio.

Sorry for the long post, but my trials went on for two months before finding the right settings!

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-06

Okay, from your description I suspect that your problem is a configuration issue. What you are doing is not "typical" and the problem with any kind of re-clocking and re-sampling of the audio/video (which you must do in order to speed up a 23.976 source to 24.00 fps) is that you are going to either drop audio or drop video frames when bitstreaming audio.

Just for reference, I experienced many of the same issues that you are describing, when I was trying to get "proper" clocking with a GT430 and the Intel on-board graphics. I wanted perfect 1080P playback with no frame drops. However, the clocks in the video cards are not accurate enough for this to happen. You have to choose if you want a dropped video frame or dropped audio frame (audio dropout). I was able to get away with it with the low def formats (I could clock both playback and source to 1080p/23.976 and get error free playback) but it is not possible with HD audio, probably due to some of the differences like frame size variation in True-HD bitstream output.

However, with the Radeon 6000 series, the clock appears close enough that re-sync frames are able to keep it in sync properly to my Yamaha RXV-1800 and then on to my Panasonic 1080P Plasma TV, with no frame drops and no audio dropouts.

I am simply using the "sync to source" option in XBMC. Monitoring diagnostics during playback show that even during a 2+ hour long movie there is not a single dropped frame unless I pause/resume or ff/rew the movie.

I think that you are reporting breakage that isn't really there. You should find out if anyone using re-clock or similarly speeding up the playback clock speed to 24FPS as you are doing is able to use these builds without audio dropout taking place.

- paolov74 - 2012-03-06

update...

I already tried sync to playback with 23hz settings (23.976)...but maybe my two cards hasn't a very stable clock: both xbmc and mpc-hc+reclock always failed to achieve a 0 frame drop play.

Do you have problems with both True-HD and DTS-MA if you choose both the options "sync to display" and "sync to source" and use the audio resample options and do 1080p/23.976 and not speeding it up to 1080p/24?

I only had problems with True-HD when doing this. There's an easy workaround, just send THD to the AVR as PCM (which XBMC supports). There is no audio difference in doing this you just won't get a light on your AVR that indicates it is receiving THD.

- paolov74 - 2012-03-06

@voip-ninja

My experience, with both rig /(gt430 and HD6330) is that latest DDDamian build DTS-HD can be resynced, dropped or duped without audible glitches (23.976 sped up to 24.000): trueHD don't.

DanielaE and first DDDamian builds are able to resync with dropping or duping without audible drops also for TrueHD.

I don't want to bother this thread with my setup...I still have to try rc2 build and Audioengine build extensively...I'll let you know.

- mrhyde1969 - 2012-03-06

I have read a few posts now that say the nvidia's are not very good for 1080p/23.976 with HD audio. Perhaps I am just really lucky but I can watch a full 3hr film either TrueHD or DTS Master and get no frame drops at all!! I have DXVA2 enabled and Verticle blank sync enabled and that is all, I dont have to do any other adjusting or syncing. I am running a gt520, i7 cpu, win7(64), into a pioneer vsx-lx70 amp into a pioneer KRP600-M monitor( via a rather long 15m hdmi cable(just unitil i build a stand alone HTPC system)).Oh I also have 'use true full screen enabled'

What are your sync options? You are probably outputting 1080p/60 which is why you aren't getting any frame drops. If you aren't setting "sync to source" then you are outputting video at whatever framerate your HTPC desktop resolution is, which is probably 60 fps.

- DDDamian - 2012-03-06

Wow - busy in here Smile

@paolov - sorry must have missed your first post. It does sound like a hardware (GPU) issue more than anything. We're starting to get some fairly consistent evidence here that the more recent this GPU the better the clocking for 23.976 material.

This is long overdue, and both ATI and nVidia are being pasted all over the net for not addressing this sooner. It's led to software like Re-Clock.

I think the sync issue improved for the majority in this thread from the first release to the second, your situation seems to be the opposite.

I think the GPU makers have finally tweaked that the HTPC market is demanding better handling of 23.976 playback, whereas their focus before was almost strictly gaming.

I'm afraid I can only recommend a new GPU as the solution.

- jagilbertvt - 2012-03-06

Just wanted to add my feedback. Tested DTSHD-MA and TrueHD on my setup w/ no problems.

My Setup:
AMD A6-3500 APU (AMD Radeon HD6530D GPU)
Onkyxo HT-S6100 (HT-R667)

I didn't seem to have any sync issues, but I would also add that I'm not using any of the sync to display/source options.

- luckyy - 2012-03-07

jagilbertvt Wrote:I didn't seem to have any sync issues, but I would also add that I'm not using any of the sync to display/source options.

I too would like to add my feedback, and say that I had a little bit of trouble getting audio working with the default catalyst HDMI audio driver, however the Realtek one cleared that up for me.

Now it is working beautifully so far, without any problem with keeping synchronization or skipping/etc. (which I've had considerable trouble with the AE branch to date)

I do use the sync refresh option "Adjust refresh rate to match video" as I have a 24hz capable display. But have not noticed any sync problems so far on TrueHD or DTS-HD. I do not have a ton of TrueHD material, but what I do have seems to play fine so far.

Setup:
Win7 x64, i3-540, Radeon 6450, Catalyst 12.1, Realtek HDMI Audio drivers.
Yamaha HTR-5063 (RX-V567) receiver

Thank you for your great work & effort, and will keep testing!

- paolov74 - 2012-03-07

@DDDamian

Hi DDDamian,

I can't figure out how to enable video scalers other than DXVA. Your RC1 has spline36 and lanczos3 enabled, but RC2 don't.

I copied advancedsettings.xml from RC1 to RC2 just to be sure to make no mistakes..also tried removing it with no luck.

- meridius - 2012-03-07

DDDamian Wrote:Wow - busy in here Smile

@paolov - sorry must have missed your first post. It does sound like a hardware (GPU) issue more than anything. We're starting to get some fairly consistent evidence here that the more recent this GPU the better the clocking for 23.976 material.

This is long overdue, and both ATI and nVidia are being pasted all over the net for not addressing this sooner. It's led to software like Re-Clock.

I think the sync issue improved for the majority in this thread from the first release to the second, your situation seems to be the opposite.

I think the GPU makers have finally tweaked that the HTPC market is demanding better handling of 23.976 playback, whereas their focus before was almost strictly gaming.

I'm afraid I can only recommend a new GPU as the solution.

hi mate i have the ATI 6570 is that a better card to use on a HTPC for 24p sync ? if so what is the best drivers to use at the moment. and do you use WASPI i think its called for the audio driver ?

cheers

- bluray - 2012-03-07

meridius Wrote:hi mate i have the ATI 6570 is that a better card to use on a HTPC for 24p sync ? if so what is the best drivers to use at the moment. and do you use WASPI i think its called for the audio driver ?

cheers
I have the HD5570/HD6450 and the GT430. I like the AMD a little more than Nvidia. For my AMD GPU's, I'm using 12.1 driver. It seems to work very well for bitstreaming and 24p sync, and I am using WASAPI. The HD6570 is more powerful than HD6450, and it should be a great choice for HTPC.

It seems that AMD is the most popular for bitstreaming...at least in this thread!

- patseguin - 2012-03-07

I had to veer away from my Zotac and am using my home built PC with (overpowered) AMD FX 8150, 24GB RAM, 500GB hybrid SSD hard drive, and nVidia 430 card. HD Audio works GREAT along with all video including 3D. DDamian is my hero for life, lol.

- voip-ninja - 2012-03-07

While Damian's efforts are invaluable, Daniela deserves most of the credit here for coming up with what appears to be a pretty elegant solution to this problem.