Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

- DDDamian - 2012-02-05

coresw Wrote:What exactly is this feature?

Ummmmmmm see page 1?

- Zaxx40 - 2012-02-05

Thank you DDDamain. Just retired my BoxeeSmile

- coresw - 2012-02-06

bluray Wrote:DTS-HD and TrueHD audio's.....

This was not available before?
What exactly does this implement?
What is so good with DTS-/True-HD?
Do you need DTS-/True-HD material to be able to benefit from this?
What does the "bitstream" part mean, is there non-bitstream DTS-/True-HD?

- dtviewer - 2012-02-06

coresw Wrote:This was not available before?
What exactly does this implement?
What is so good with DTS-/True-HD?
Do you need DTS-/True-HD material to be able to benefit from this?
What does the "bitstream" part mean, is there non-bitstream DTS-/True-HD?

I suggest google.

All your answers are a couple clicks away....

- coresw - 2012-02-06

dtviewer Wrote:I suggest google.

All your answers are a couple clicks away....

If you think that, then you don't understand even the questions. Much less the answers, I presume.

- dtviewer - 2012-02-06

coresw Wrote:If you think that, then you don't understand even the questions. Much less the answers, I presume.

This thread certainly isnt the appropriate place for a primer on the benefits of HD audio formats. Thats why I suggested google.

It also says a lot that the second question you are asking is answered and explained in the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread.

(BTW, I understand the questions and the answers quite well.
Maybe try a little effort to research the answers for yourself and you will understand as well?)

- davilla - 2012-02-06

stay on topic, please.

edit: don't make me repeat myself.

- ArieS - 2012-02-06

minimoe Wrote:I have the same problem with one MKV, made with MakeMKV I think. The video is choppy and the audio goes out of synch. It happens only with this one file, everything else plays fine.

dmbmay98 Wrote:Like a lot of people in this thread I was having issues with true hd. It was out of sync and video issues. I was using MakeMKV to rip these blu ray. I re-ripped the movie using DVDFAB 8 qt. I no longer am having the issue.

So far this has worked for the Dark Knight. Hopefully this will help others.
Bingo, you nailed it. The problem is TrueHD with MakeMKV.
I ripped a movie with AnyDVD and remuxed it with MKVMerge and the video plays fine...

I'm still testing out but it feels like there's a small out of sync issue with the audio compare to MPC-HC.
Anyone else noticed that or is it just me?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-06

I see it slightly with a sample remuxed with MKVMerge, although it's slight. Varying settings in terms of sync via audio clock or video clock made small adjustments, none perfect. That's gonna be the fun of it - balancing video processing with audio....Sorry, nothing done with MakeMKV to compare to.

That said, DTS-MA perfect on several movies (I have far more in this format).

- bluray - 2012-02-06

ArieS Wrote:Bingo, you nailed it. The problem is TrueHD with MakeMKV.
I ripped a movie with AnyDVD and remuxed it with MKVMerge and the video plays fine...

I'm still testing out but it feels like there's a small out of sync issue with the audio compare to MPC-HC.
Anyone else noticed that or is it just me?
I'm wondering why I don't have this problem because I ripped all my BD's to ISO/BD folder using AnyDVD HD. There are several movies that are direct copied and pasted of M2TS from BD to USB hard drive. Both DTS-HD and TrueHD movies are working fine on my E350M1 HTPC and Onkyo AVR! Smile

- ArieS - 2012-02-06

Probably because, like Damian mentioned, you didn't use MKVMerge.
The problem with M2TS is you can't strip the extra audio, subs, etc...

- ArieS - 2012-02-06

DDDamian Wrote:I see it slightly with a sample remuxed with MKVMerge, although it's slight. Varying settings in terms of sync via audio clock or video clock made small adjustments, none perfect. That's gonna be the fun of it - balancing video processing with audio....
Yeah it's slight but since I sit pretty close to the TV I can notice it so it will probably bug me Sad
What do you mean by balancing video processing with audio?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-06

ArieS Wrote:Yeah it's slight but since I sit pretty close to the TV I can notice it so it will probably bug me Sad
What do you mean by balancing video processing with audio?

There's a lot going on between reading the file and the light and sound hitting your senses. Everything from the demuxing, decoding, scaling/deblocking/antiAliasing/filtering, buffering, etc. And that's just in the PC. AVR's add processing time on both audio and video, as do TV's.

The amazing thing is it works at all. Add the fact that there are many different ways codecs arrange timing & interleaving data. MKV is one of the most open formats there is, but that can be an Achilles heel too.

Very subtle sync issues like what I'm seeing are pretty easy to put down to some of the above. Gross issues are another thing entirely and likely due to ripping software.

As Daniela alluded to, there are some very basic issues like the calculations for audio block durations which are hard to find concrete data on, and it sounds like this is more an issue with TrueHD by the testing so far...

- bluray - 2012-02-06

ArieS Wrote:Probably because, like Damian mentioned, you didn't use MKVMerge.
The problem with M2TS is you can't strip the extra audio, subs, etc...
Nobe...I don't like to strip anything from the original BD. I enjoys watching BD with all the junks (menus, previews, chapters, etc) in it.

My BD decoding and stripping using (HandBrake, DVDFab, AVS Video Converter, PavTube, Xilisoft, Leawo, RipBot264, MeGui, MakeMKV, MKVToolNix, TsMuxer, etc) days were over a couple years ago. I used and compared most of them on my PC several years ago. I got tired of it after messing with it so much. I'm ripping most BD's with AnyDVD HD now, and I'm sticking to original contents only! Smile

- bluray - 2012-02-06

ArieS Wrote:Yeah it's slight but since I sit pretty close to the TV I can notice it so it will probably bug me Sad
Did you try to set your AVR to pass-thru video? Your HTPC and HDTV should be able to handle these jobs!