Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Darquebus - 2012-03-23

[quote=As I said in the opening post, bitstreaming is implemented for the video player only. To get away with this restriction, I've added the capability of playing wave encapsulated DTS (or AC3 for that matter) to the video player. Raw DTS/AC3/whatever streams are fine, too. The next HD-audio drop (derived from Eden) has a fix for the pitch distortion seen with 44.1kHz DTS. And exact audio frame duration calculation for all supported packed audio formats (DTS, DTS-HD, AC3, E-AC3, TrueHD, MLP), too.

[/quote]

Dear Damien!
Apologize for false alert Smile I just found the root of my issue, the files are maybe corrupted,
the XBMC played other DTS audio files without problem, except maybe that pitch issue.
Songs were faster and a little bit higher tone, this is the 44.1 vs 48 kHz issue, right?

I just start to build my own HTPC and spread the word about this amazing software. Smile
With respect,
Darq

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-03-23

@Darq - yes, that would be the 44.1khz (Redbook CD) vs 48khz (DTS/AC3/SPDIF standard) timing issues. Try the build in post #2 of this thread per DanielaE's comments - they play back at the adjusted/correct frequency.

EDIT: sorry - to explain better - to playback at corrected frequency use DVDPlayer (the video part of XBMC), not PAPlayer, the music part. To do this right-click on the DTS/wav file and select "Play Using" > "DVDPlayer". This is what DanielaE refers to in her first post and as quoted in post 971. It is then bitstreamed or passed-through as DTS at the correct frequency.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Darquebus - 2012-03-23

(2012-03-23, 20:16)DDDamian Wrote: @Darq - yes, that would be the 44.1khz (Redbook CD) vs 48khz (DTS/AC3/SPDIF standard) timing issues. Try the build in post #2 of this thread per DanielaE's comments - they play back at the adjusted/correct frequency.

EDIT: sorry - to explain better - to playback at corrected frequency use DVDPlayer (the video part of XBMC), not PAPlayer, the music part. To do this right-click on the DTS/wav file and select "Play Using" > "DVDPlayer". This is what DanielaE refers to in her first post and as quoted in post 971. It is then bitstreamed or passed-through as DTS at the correct frequency.

I just installed that newest version and tried both way of playback,
DVDPlayer plays the music faster in DTS, the PAPlayer plays in correct speed in Multi-channel PCM.

Source is:

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-03-23

Yes, that should be a "normal" one. I've seen some that have been re-encoded to 48khz already, so you'd have the opposite issue playing it from a CD-player. With no real defined standard it's one reason DTS-wav never really took off. A lot were only ever up-mixes by guys on computers, and many of them were done at 48khz for computer playback.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Darquebus - 2012-03-24

Does it (XBMC) support the 24bit/352.8kHz DXD encoded .WAV files? Or will it?
However nowadays-general-DACs support only up-to-192kHz sampling, maybe the down-sampling is needed.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-03-24

It will support 16/192khz. The AE branch will support 32bit/352.8 if your hardware will handle it, although the 32bits will likely be dithered to 24 on most hardware, which is really no loss at all.

24bit audio gives 144db of range, more when dithered. Most music is barely 15db dynamic range, and signal lower than -60dba are pretty much inaudible. 32bit is just way over the top.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Darquebus - 2012-03-24

What is "AE branch"?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-03-24

We're straying pretty far off-topic here, but AE is short for AudioEngine, which is basically a re-write of XBMC's audio system. XBMC development is largely done in "branches" which are taken from the "trunk" or main code, modified and then re-merged with the main trunk code.

Basically AE is one of the cores of the software which handles the audio playback across multiple platforms for both music and video. It has not been merged with master yet, so is still only available for developers, testers and those willing to compile their own code.

It is on the roadmap for upcoming features, but is not an official part of XBMC for the current version Eden.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - CpTHOOK - 2012-03-24

Guys,

I was hoping to get some assistance with some issues I'm having and excuse me if they have been addressed already. It seem that when I switch between DVD .iso's and my HD Audio tracks within XBMC I get this high pitched gargle sound and have to either hit the mute button turning audio off/on or totally restart XBMC. I have been using Daniela's HD + RC2XBMC build since released. I notice the problem when channel surfing using PseudoTV.

CPU:i32100, MOBO:ZOTAC H67ITX-C-E LGA 1155, GPU:ATI 6570

Post your Debug Log and let's see. I wonder if it's related to this pause bug we're finding.

okay....will have to read up on debugging but I think THIS will do. Thanks for the help!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DanielaE - 2012-03-24

(2012-03-23, 20:48)Darquebus Wrote: I just installed that newest version and tried both way of playback, DVDPlayer plays the music faster in DTS, the PAPlayer plays in correct speed in Multi-channel PCM.
That's what I meant with 'pitch distortion' in the pre-Eden HD audio builds floating around here. As I said before: this is fixed in my 'Eden with HD audio' build (amongst other things). This build is *not* released yet!

(2012-03-24, 08:01)CpTHOOK Wrote: okay....will have to read up on debugging but I think THIS will do. Thanks for the help!

Almost there - there was a lot of "noise" in the log though, so the full log didn't fit. Turn off the Update Library on Startup option, exit and retry, that will help. Also, you are using a version that has what became to be known as the pvr.spam issue, where it was built with pvr options enabled in the skin and as there is no pvr avaiable it spams the debug log with a large number of errors.

You may just want to grab Eden final and do a clean install of it before going further so it removes this issue.

(2012-03-24, 16:43)DDDamian Wrote: You may just want to grab Eden final and do a clean install of it before going further so it removes this issue.

Dang...!! Okay, but can i at least save my set-up by saving a back-up of current 'userdata' and adding it to new Eden fresh install or would elements of the pvr.spam issue be in that folder as well? Also, would I add Daniela's build over top of fresh Eden install or how would this work? I may search forum/google for a guide on how to save current XBMC set-up and add to update but if you could provide me with a direct link to such info, I would be grateful.

(2012-03-24, 23:44)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-03-24, 16:43)DDDamian Wrote: You may just want to grab Eden final and do a clean install of it before going further so it removes this issue.

Dang...!! Okay, but can i at least save my set-up by saving a back-up of current 'userdata' and adding it to new Eden fresh install or would elements of the pvr.spam issue be in that folder as well? Also, would I add Daniela's build over top of fresh Eden install or how would this work? I may search forum/google for a guide on how to save current XBMC set-up and add to update but if you could provide me with a direct link to such info, I would be grateful.

Easiest thing to do is simply rename your C:\users\<your_login_name>\appdata\roaming\xbmc directory to, say, xbmc2. Do the same with c:\program files (x86)\xbmc

You can then go ahead and install one of these builds. The latest is RC2 in the second post of this thread. In the last hour Eden 11.0 final has been released and is ready for download. Obviously it does not have this patch. A combined version will be posted here soon. Eden final almost rolled out with no audio (doh!) but was caught in the nick of time, so it's good to wait a day or two to check things are good before doing a rebuild to include this.

So in a nutshell - either wait a day or two for a combined Eden final + patch build and then do as follows, or go ahead and rename those directories then install a currently available build. This will give you a "clean" install while giving you a backup. You can simply copy over your database files from the backup to the user directory to give you back your library, likewise with the thumbnails directory.