Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - m0v1em4n - 2012-04-01

(2012-03-31, 17:55)DanielaE Wrote:
(2012-03-31, 16:39)voip-ninja Wrote: You need to talk Damian into producing a build lol. I believe his builds included global delay.
This is a feature of "Eden" final. People may take advantage of that by uncommenting the related lines in 'advancedsettings.xml' that I've thrown in gratitiously.

Hi DanielaE,

This advanced setting, does it get installed with your version of Eden, is it the one thats in the main xbmc system folder ?
I only ask because for some reason it plays havoc with my MQ3 skin.
Is the advanced setting needed because removing it from the folder solves my problem

thanks for all your time and great work

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - frozenice - 2012-04-01

I have updated my RC2 to "Eden" Final and tried something...

First result:
DTS works fine and DTS-HD, too Cool

Thanks!

My Hardware:
Asrock Vision 3D (Windows 7 x64) - Denon AVR-1912

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-04-01

(2012-04-01, 08:14)michaeldecharon Wrote: Dear Bluray,

Thanks for your replay!

1. I've downloaded en installed the latest drivers even the pre-release.
But no luck.
2. I've connected my system the way you pointed, i even disconnected my plasma i case of a handshake (EDID) problem
Again no luck
3. Done it.
As you may gues no luck.
That is not good.....you can try a couple more things-

1. Download- High Definition Audio Codecs
2. Check W7 control panel to see if you can select the options as shown in my screen shots below-
3. If you still cannot see the options after you did #1&2, you can try to switch to another HDMI input on your AVR. And that still doesn't work, you can try another HDMI cable...

[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - millercentral - 2012-04-01

This is mildly off topic, but I thought I'd try and squeeze it in here since you guys represent some of the most helpful devs in the community.

Is there any way to add to add an option to xbmc to select a preferred audio track automatically? Language first, format/channels second. I have many files with either both a HD audio track and a non-hd version, and some with multiple languages, and XBMC seems to pick which ever happens to be first in the file. Unfortunately this choice is often wrong...

Anyhow, thanks again for everything you've done with HD bitstreaming and let me know if this tweak would be possible as well...

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - voip-ninja - 2012-04-01

(2012-04-01, 07:51)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-04-01, 07:33)voip-ninja Wrote: Daniela,

I have tested your build based on Eden final and from what I can see so far in limited testing things are working fine, including Dolby True HD tracks.

Just wanted to provide my feedback.

That's good news. Trust me, you're not gaining much RC2->Final, but there's a lot of goodies going in right now like the long-awaited ffmpeg version bump, a much better streaming cache controller, pause/skip glitch fix and other goodies so I've been holding off till they're in master before doing any more builds of this.

It's not officially announced yet, but the debug/release cycle is being changed for shorter cycles so we don't have to wait so long for some of the major items to get in. An official announcement will come later from JMarshall, along with some other great news for XBMC. Stay tuned Smile

That is some great news Damian. Some of those items are long overdue so it is fantastic to see development tackling them in a shorter release cycle than we've historically seen. I spy a wonderful dot release of XBMC on the horizon!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-04-01

(2012-04-01, 20:50)voip-ninja Wrote: That is some great news Damian. Some of those items are long overdue so it is fantastic to see development tackling them in a shorter release cycle than we've historically seen. I spy a wonderful dot release of XBMC on the horizon!

Yep, look forward to dot releases every month / two months with more goodies. The idea is not to have to wait a year for major releases Smile

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - ix400 - 2012-04-01

(2012-04-01, 20:45)millercentral Wrote: This is mildly off topic, but I thought I'd try and squeeze it in here since you guys represent some of the most helpful devs in the community.

Is there any way to add to add an option to xbmc to select a preferred audio track automatically? Language first, format/channels second. I have many files with either both a HD audio track and a non-hd version, and some with multiple languages, and XBMC seems to pick which ever happens to be first in the file. Unfortunately this choice is often wrong...

Anyhow, thanks again for everything you've done with HD bitstreaming and let me know if this tweak would be possible as well...

+1

I'm also would like to have this feature.

Chris

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - voip-ninja - 2012-04-01

You might get more traction by bringing this up in the appropriate place, the feature request forum here;

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=9

[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - michaeldecharon - 2012-04-01

(2012-04-01, 20:37)bluray Wrote:
(2012-04-01, 08:14)michaeldecharon Wrote: Dear Bluray,

Thanks for your replay!

1. I've downloaded en installed the latest drivers even the pre-release.
But no luck.
2. I've connected my system the way you pointed, i even disconnected my plasma i case of a handshake (EDID) problem
Again no luck
3. Done it.
As you may gues no luck.
That is not good.....you can try a couple more things-

1. Download- High Definition Audio Codecs
2. Check W7 control panel to see if you can select the options as shown in my screen shots below-
3. If you still cannot see the options after you did #1&2, you can try to switch to another HDMI input on your AVR. And that still doesn't work, you can try another HDMI cable...

I did it all and still no luck!

I guess it must be the drivers...

EDIT: DDDamian snipped the duplicate pictures!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-04-01

(2012-04-01, 21:06)ix400 Wrote:
(2012-04-01, 20:45)millercentral Wrote: This is mildly off topic, but I thought I'd try and squeeze it in here since you guys represent some of the most helpful devs in the community.

+1

I'm also would like to have this feature.

Chris

There is a bit of logic there - XBMC looks for the track with the most channels, but yeah, it could be improved. Some have suggested looking at the user's locale / language and trying to match so their preferred language is selected first. Best place for a feature request is the forum mentioned and also on Trac as a feature request Smile

@michaeldecharon - did you post a Debug Log? Might have missed it. May also be that being so new ATI/AMD hasn't got the drivers up to speed yet - wouldn't be the first time they roll out hardware without full driver support.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - thrak76 - 2012-04-02

(2012-03-29, 05:44)DDDamian Wrote: A user asked about DVD-A and MLP files. Thought I'd share a few pointers about ripping/handling/playing.

That user was me! Big Grin

(2012-03-29, 05:44)DDDamian Wrote: DVD-Audio was one of two competitors to follow up on the Redbook CD standard - it's rival being SACD.

It was a way of storing high-definition audio on a DVD, making use of almost the full capacity of the DVD for tracks in PCM stored in MLP-packed format, and sometimes in DTS 96/24 format. Coming out later than normal DVD-Video, it was difficult to backup/rip due to a newer protection scheme and the use of a different structure than what most DVD-V ripping software used. Files were stored in the AUDIO_TS folder as opposed to the normal VIDEO_TS folder and .aobs were used similar to .vobs.

MLP stands for Meridian Lossless Packing, and is used in Dolby TrueHD lossless compression as well.

A program called DVD-A Explorer came to the rescue, allowing DVD-A's to be ripped in their native MLP-packed PCM, to unpacked PCM in wave headers, or with the addition of a path to FLAC.exe to FLAC-compressed lossless PCM.

Both formats are losslessly compressed, so either is identical in terms of audio quality.

MLP decoding has been part of FFMpeg for some time, and allows XBMC to unpack MLP to PCM, which was a feature used to bring lossless TrueHD decoding, but not bitstreaming, to XBMC. One of the things DanielaE has done is allow XBMC to bitstream MLP to a receiver capable of decoding it, including TrueHD and DVD-A MLP files. In the case of DVD-A, with FFMpeg repacking the audio in MLP dataframes and databursts, it maintains the 24-bit depth of DVD-A and TrueHD. Because the 24-bit data get's repacked into MLP frames it slips 24-bit data past the current XBMC 16-bit limitation.

So use DVD-A Explorer to rip/backup your precious DVD-A's and you can:
1) playback the MLP files and get lossless DVD-A
2) rip them further to 24-bit FLAC for track separation and metadata embedding. This further step can be done by ripping the files to wav's in DVD-A Explorer, then using EAC3TO and More GUI to convert to 24-bit FLAC and MP3Tag or other tagging software to embed metadata. When AE is merged you will get the full 24-bit glory from these as well, like all high-fidelity FLAC's.

I've got about 20 DVD-A's and especially since they are mostly out-of-print and few come out now (unlike SACD which has at least some titles still coming out) they are worth ripping. Hope that helps anyone who also has them and wants them preserved and part of their library.

This worked brilliantly. I skipped the step of using the eac3to and more gui, and just fed DVD-A explorer the flac.exe (as you suggested to me earlier), and the process was quick and plays back perfectly. It's so much nicer to have the surround tracks accessible through the music library, than how i was doing it before - ripping TS folders and setting up favorites in the skin for easy access. Now to dig out all the jewel cases and re-rip some surround music!

Thanks Damian!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - minimoe - 2012-04-02

Damian uploaded Eden final+HD audio patch @ github

What kind of new goodies are hidden within, I wonder Big Grin

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - minimoe - 2012-04-02

(2012-03-25, 20:48)minimoe Wrote:
(2012-03-25, 19:10)DanielaE Wrote:
(2012-03-25, 12:15)minimoe Wrote: I' m having problems with this release and WMV files. XBMC can not lock the framerate.
With 30fps WMV files, the fps counter of the OSD fluctuates between 22 and 33 fps and with 25fps WMVs it's between 22 and 27fps. The drop:xx counter doesn't show any dropped frames but there are a lot of skips and jumps in the picture.
Does vanilla Eden exhibit the same behavior? Neither am I an expert in the video processing part of XBMC nor did I dare to touch it.

No, it doesn't happen with Eden downloaded from the official site. I did some more tests and I tend to believe that the problem happens with 'non-standard' audio streams i.e. flac or WMA.
I tested a WMV with DTS sound and it run smoothly but another movie with flac sound had the same problems.

All the files I tested run smoothly with DDDamian's patched RC2
I continue having these problems with playback. I tried Damian's Eden final with HD audio and it exhibits the same behavior. The videos I mentioned in my previous posts were taken from live streams. Now I have the same problem with live streams playing directly in XBMC using the Hellenic TV plugin.
For testing purposes, the problem appears with the channels Mega Cyprus (WMAv2 audio) and ANT1 Cyprus(MP3 audio). Frame fluctuates with WMAv2 audio and the problem gets worse with MP3 audio. In the second case there are a lot of errors like this:

Code:
13:20:56 T:4048   ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPacketsRenderer - timeout adding data to renderer
13:20:56 T:4048   ERROR: CDVDAudio::AddPackets - failed to add leftover bytes to render
13:20:56 T:4048   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:4773429.335355, should be:1697000.026122, error:-3076429.309233

No problem playing streams with AAC audio. I deleted guisettings.xml in case there were leftovers from my AudioEngine installation but the problems remain.

All files and streams play fine with the official Eden release.

System:
Code:
Starting XBMC (11.0-HD-Audio Git:HD-audio-20120325), Platform: Windows 7, 32-bit Service Pack 1 build 7601. Built on Mar 25 2012 (compiler 1600)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080 32Bit at 50Hz
Running with restricted rights
Aero is enabled
Found screen: Generic PnP Monitor on ATI Radeon HD 5450, adapter 0.

XBMC.log

Any ideas?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-04-02

(2012-04-02, 09:56)minimoe Wrote: Damian uploaded Eden final+HD audio patch @ github

What kind of new goodies are hidden within, I wonder Big Grin

Just an FYI - that was just a straight mirror of Daniela's build - I haven't done one since RC2, so no new goodies in that Wink