Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - loekf - 2012-04-16

(2012-04-16, 22:46)DDDamian Wrote: @loekf - absolutely it matters, Use WASAPI for passthrough, not DirectSound. DirectSound uses system mixers which essentially prevent passthrough. Make sure your Windows settings are set for WASAPI exclusive mode as well.

Amazing...

I switch to WASAPI AMD HDMI device + exclusive mode and my DTS-ES movies work !!

So now basically all my movies work with bitstreaming (DD, DTS, DTS-ES and DTS MA).

(with DTS-ES movies I'm referring to those Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars movies)

EDIT: switching to the AE thread, because now I have also a question on AudioEngine ;-)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-04-17

(2012-04-16, 23:22)loekf Wrote: I switch to WASAPI AMD HDMI device + exclusive mode and my DTS-ES movies work !!
Man, did you miss the screen shot in the first page? It clearly show WASAPI in OP first post......I posted the screen shot with Onkyo AVR in the 3rd page too.......

I told you that there is nothing wrong with Onkyo........

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - loekf - 2012-04-17

Well, just started to use XBMC. Typical case of RTFM, or better said was too lazy to read through 125 pages in this thread.... sorry for that

Nothing wrong with Onkyo indeed, great value for money.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-04-17

Hmmm...a little harsh there.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - steeve23 - 2012-04-17

Just a quick question on the same theme as above, I tried using Wasapi, but got no end of problems (audio breakup mainly), but saw (a while back) here about using Directsound, been using it for a while, and I thought it worked, amp is
displaying correct symbols.

So is it working for me, or is an illusion (no sarcasm intended), will directsound work ok? I assumed as the amp has the correct pretty pretty lights, I was good?

Thanks,
Steve

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-04-17

Posted this in another thread - thought it might be good here too:

Just a little tutorial:

Since Vista SP1, Windows has two primary audio interfaces, DirectSound and Wasapi (Windows Audio Session Application Programming Interface). The latter was a replacement for XP's Kernal Streaming mode.

DirectSound acts as a program-friendly middle layer between the program and the audio driver, which in turn speaks to the audio hardware. With DS, Windows controls the sample rate, channel layout and other details of the audio stream. Every program using sound passes it's data to DS, which then resamples as required so it can mix audio streams from any program together with system sounds.

The advantages are that programs don't need resampling code or other complexities, and any program can play sounds at the same time as others, or the same time as system sounds, because they are all mixed to one format.

The disadvantages are that other programs can play at the same time, and that a program's output gets mixed to whatever the system's settings are. This means the program cannnot control the sampling rate, channel count, format, etc. Even more important for this thread is that you cannot pass through encoded formats, as DS will not decode them and it would otherwise bit-mangle them, and there is a loss of sonic quality involved in the mixing and resampling.

Partly to allow for cleaner, uncompromised or encoded audio, and for low-latency requirements like mixing and recording, MS re-vamped their Kernal Streaming mode from XP and came up with WASAPI.

WASAPI itself has two modes, shared and exclusive. Shared mode is in many ways similar to DS, so I won't cover it here.

WASAPI exclusive mode bypasses the mixing/resampling layers of DS, and allows the application to negotiate directly with the audio driver what format it wishes to present the data in. This often involves some back-and-forth depending on the format specified and the device's capabilities. Once a format is agreed upon, the application decides how it will present the data stream.

The normal manner is in push mode - a buffer is created which the audio device draws from, and the application pushes as much data in as it can to keep that buffer full. To do this it must constantly monitor the levels in the buffer, with short "sleeps" in between to allow other threads to run.

WASAPI, and most modern sound devices, also support a "pull" or "event-driven" mode. In this mode two buffers are used. The application gives the audio driver a call-back address or function, fills one buffer and starts playback, then goes off to do other processing. It can forget about the data stream for a while. Whenever one of the two buffers is empty, the audio driver "calls you back", and gives you the address of the empty buffer. You fill this and go your way again. Between the two buffers there is a ping-pong action: one is in use and draining, the other is full and ready. As soon as the first is emptied the buffers are switched, and you are called upon to fill the empty one. So audio data is being "pulled" from the application by the audio driver, as opposed to "pushed" by the application.

WASAPI data is passed-through as-is, which is why you must negotiate capabilities with the audio driver (i.e. it must be compatible with the format you want to send it as there is no DS between to convert it), and why encoded formats like DTS can reach the receiver unchanged for decoding there.

Because WASAPI performs no mixing or resampling, it is best used in the exclusive mode, and as a result the application gets the exclusive rights to the audio buffers, to the exclusion of all other sounds or players. WASAPI shared mode does allow this, but that's not a common mode and not what we want for an HTPC. I myself have a dislike of Window's cutesy system sounds happening at 110db

Hope some of you found today's primer of use. Please pick up a scorecard from the desk and drop it in the big round "collection box" on your way out

Cheers,
Damian

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-04-17

(2012-04-17, 02:01)steeve23 Wrote: So is it working for me, or is an illusion (no sarcasm intended), will directsound work ok? I assumed as the amp has the correct pretty pretty lights, I was good?

Thanks,
Steve
If AVR displayed it correctly, you're good to go.....

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - voip-ninja - 2012-04-17

Thanks Damian that is extremely informative.

cheers voip-ninja - it's a confusing bit of jargon for many

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Maxoo - 2012-04-17

Didn't know half of that, thanks a lot for this explanation/clarification !

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - steeve23 - 2012-04-17

(2012-04-17, 02:57)bluray Wrote:
(2012-04-17, 02:01)steeve23 Wrote: So is it working for me, or is an illusion (no sarcasm intended), will directsound work ok? I assumed as the amp has the correct pretty pretty lights, I was good?

Thanks,
Steve
If AVR displayed it correctly, you're good to go.....

Thanks, I had hoped it was working right, but sometimes you're never sure Big Grin

Steve

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DanielaE - 2012-04-17

Hi folks,

with spare time on short supply, it took me much longer than anticipated to release a new build. This time with the following changes:
  • cut off the very latest Eden branch (mostly translation changes on top of official Eden)
  • a small fix for the single channel audio issue (thanks minimoe)
  • a small fix for the erratic frame rate values seen with some sample files
  • enhanced support for rare types of Dolby Digital Plus streams
  • fix to ffmpeg for correct handling of Dolby Digital Plus streams with embedded AC3 core
On my system this build works at least as good as the official Eden build, in some cases even better. All sample files that I have around work as expected (i.e. within hardware limits of the AMD E-350 APU).

With audio passthrough enabled I strongly recommend to choose these general settings:
  • adjust display refresh rate to match video [on]
  • sync playback to display [off]
  • A/V sync method [audio clock] (if you happen to insist on A/V sync switched on)
Even with A/V sync off you'll see the amount of A/V sync mismatch hovering around a constant value, if your hardware is fine and the media stream is properly muxed - the better the mux, the smaller the deviation. At least, this is the observable behaviour on my lowly machine. Your milage my vary...

Download link: XBMC-11.0+HD-audio full installer

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Dj Freddy D - 2012-04-17

Thank you - I will install this in all my htpc's

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - loekf - 2012-04-17

Big thank you. Works great !!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - minimoe - 2012-04-18

Thanks Daniela, all problems solved! Image