Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - moravec - 2012-05-09

@Daniela

Should I really try installing the Realtek HDMI driver to get rid of the after pause stutter?

I currently only have AMD drivers for grafic and HDMI.

Christian

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DanielaE - 2012-05-09

I didn't experience any noticable differences in behaviour with either ATI or Realtek. But I might just be lucky with my Yamaha. If you don't mind investing 5 minutes I'd recommend to have a test with Realtek driver installed.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - weichieh007 - 2012-05-10

Thanks Daniela! It works perfectly for me.. Even with the Dolby True HD demo files from demo world. Maybe it's a bit too short to notice any sync problem.. I've got no Dolby True Hd rips with me yet but DTS HD MA movie works without any problem. Thank you..

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - gregnukem - 2012-05-11

(2012-05-08, 18:05)bluray Wrote: You can try these-

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I've checked my system both manually and with online IntelĀ® Driver Update Utility, so I can confirm I've got the latest from them.

I also tried Realtek driver as well as motherboard (Gigabyte) specific audio driver. I noticed no difference, so I stuck to the latter just because superficially it makes more sense to me.

In TMT the 'HD audio' tracks play fine (at first try, that is, - no need to press Play/Pause multiple times) by the way. So at least I know my AVR is can handle this alright.

Might sound funny, but intuitively I think it has something to do with the audio buffer. Is there any such thing that is tweakable? Smile

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-11

which one should I download from Github? XBMC-AE-Final.exe OR XBMC-Eden11.0 HD-Audio.exe

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - minimoe - 2012-05-11

XBMC-Eden11.0 HD-Audio.exe : Eden with Daniela's patch

XBMC-AE-Final.exe: Eden with gnif's AudioEngine

Take your pick Smile

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-11

Thanks for the reply. How are they different? Pros Cons? Your Preference?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - gnif - 2012-05-11

@tjcinnamon.

AudioEngine (AE) is now in the nightly builds as it has merged with master, and it is the way forward. The patch provided here by DaniellaE has been a stop-gap measure to provide HD support until AE was stable enough to be merged and put in to general use.

The patch provided here is excellent and supports some formats AE does not, but it does not have any of the analog audio benefits that AE introduces, which are:

* Support for greater then 16bit resolution of all audio codecs and output devices.
* Removal of SDL_Mixer and full GUI sound integration (no more output device contention for GUI sounds)
* Real-time transcoding of audio to AC3 including GUI sounds when required
* PAPlayer supports bitstreaming now
* Upmixing sources to create missing channels (optional)
* Much tighter A/V sync

There will also be coming digital signal processors (DSPs) soon which will allow advanced features usually only seen in top-end studio equipment, such as configurable DRC and real time configurable HRTF (Head-related transfer function) for headphone users. The DSP interface will be pluggable and will allow people to write their own custom DSPs for whatever they want or need.

And finally, AE runs on all platforms, it is not windows specific.

Cool. I think I'll roll AE due to the A/V Sync and Analog benefits.

Thanks for the info.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-12

So this definitely works but it seems to hijack the audio device. When I try to run an emulator or watch a movie in an external player (such as Internet Explorer for XBMC-Flicks), there is either no audio, in the case of the emulator, or an error, in the case of netflix. Is there a setting that I have incorrect where I'm disabling all other applications from getting sound?

When I change the audio properties to non-exclusivity, then video runs incorrectly. That seems like it should be the fix.

XBMC - 11.0 AE Final
Windows 7 x64
ATI 6850 HDMI audio out

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DanielaE - 2012-05-12

tjcinnamon: you're barking up the wrong tree. This thread is explicitly not about problems with AE!

As gnif pointed it out: my patch is made for people who want to stick with Eden until the next stable release of XBMC is out with all of the nice features of AE. Until then, Eden + HD-audio does exactly what it says. 100% Eden plus the additional capability of true streaming of compressed audio to external decoders like AVRs without touching audio contents in any way. Nothing more, nothing less.

The sheer size of this thread is an indicator of the problems people may experience from setting up their rigs to get working bitstreaming. Offering a crash test dummy to sort things out is the second purpose of my patch. Get it, install it, run it, and tweak your system until HD audio bitstreaming is working fine with your particular setup. As far as I can tell, there's nothing left that I can do to improve XBMC's audio handling code with respect to streaming issues. Look at my sig and you'll notice that my XBMC hardware is probably at the lowest limits of computing and graphics power required to run XBMC flawlessly on non-dedicated hardware with a general purpose OS and stock drivers. It handles everything that I've thrown at it just fine.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - couto27 - 2012-05-12

your patch is execelent DanielaE, millions like me use a proper av receiver, dedicated speakers and like to truly enjoy a movie with the latest sound formats.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-12

(2012-05-12, 09:06)DanielaE Wrote: tjcinnamon: you're barking up the wrong tree. This thread is explicitly not about problems with AE!

As gnif pointed it out: my patch is made for people who want to stick with Eden until the next stable release of XBMC is out with all of the nice features of AE. Until then, Eden + HD-audio does exactly what it says. 100% Eden plus the additional capability of true streaming of compressed audio to external decoders like AVRs without touching audio contents in any way. Nothing more, nothing less.

The sheer size of this thread is an indicator of the problems people may experience from setting up their rigs to get working bitstreaming. Offering a crash test dummy to sort things out is the second purpose of my patch. Get it, install it, run it, and tweak your system until HD audio bitstreaming is working fine with your particular setup. As far as I can tell, there's nothing left that I can do to improve XBMC's audio handling code with respect to streaming issues. Look at my sig and you'll notice that my XBMC hardware is probably at the lowest limits of computing and graphics power required to run XBMC flawlessly on non-dedicated hardware with a general purpose OS and stock drivers. It handles everything that I've thrown at it just fine.

Good point. I through that it the wrong thread. Anyways, I'll give your patch a shot as well. I'd like to have my cake (Bitstreaming) and eat it too (emulators and netflix).

I have an Onkyo RC-360 and a 5.1 Paradigm piece by piece set of speakers. They sound cherry so it'll be worth sorting this out.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-05-12

(2012-05-12, 17:20)tjcinnamon Wrote: I have an Onkyo RC-360 and a 5.1 Paradigm piece by piece set of speakers. They sound cherry so it'll be worth sorting this out.
It will work fine......it works flawless on my 7.2 RC270 so far....if you haven't update your Onkyo RC360 firmware, you can update it from here- Firmware Updates!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Streamerke - 2012-05-13

(2012-05-01, 15:17)DDDamian Wrote: @Streamerke - TrueHD/DTS-MA require a link with 8ch, 192000hz, 16bits/sample - if the driver rejects this you will not ne able to bitstream, nor to decode TrueHD at full rate. Time to update that GPU.

Hi,

I have replaced my Geforce 9600GS with a Geforce 520 GT.

After installation of the HD Audio patch I got some strange behaviour. I configured the Audio settings: Receiver capable of pretty much anything.

First few tests: movies were played back at slow speed and there was no audio. The O command revealed there were no frames dropped. There was no error message. The receiver showed: "Multich" indicating that multiple channels of audio were received though no bitstream. The result was the same for DTS-HD and TrueHD movies.

After rebooting the PC the problem persisted. Then something strange happened: I switched on debugging, changed absolutely nothing in the config and ran the same movie again... Suddenly the TrueHD sign appeared on the display of the receiver and the movie plays smoothly and audio is as expected!!! Same with DTS-HD movies.

I am not sure why I got the problems immediately after installation and even after reboot but it seems the patched version is working now as it should. Also I have NO video delay or A/V sync issues. A/V are perfectly in line!

Thanks for the patch, I really appreciate it and I hope it will be part of next standard XBMC builds! Keep up the good work!