Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-05-31

Glad that helped - best guess there is that the track is only in 5.1. Download MediaInfo (very small, unobtrusive and handy) and see what it says. Also try one of the many samples available here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-05-31

(2012-05-31, 06:22)clark kent Wrote: updated with the AMD drivers and the TrueHD audio is detected and working.
That is weird....when I asked you in post #1401, you said everything is up to date in post #1403......but I'm glad that you have TrueHD audio now.....Nod

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - clark kent - 2012-05-31

My apologies DDDamian I am getting 7.1 audio I was just reading my receiver incorrectly. Everything is running great and like I said thanks again. I did have to switch back to AMD 11.12 drivers from the 12.4 because my windows kept disconnected from my hdmi every time I changed a source, but that's fine. I wonder if I can now switch the AE engine nightlies and have everything running fine, but to be honest with you I am a little hesitant considering I just got everything running fine on this setup as it is. What advantages would I be seeing over this if I wanted to run that setup, or do you think it's better to just stick with this for now? I wish I could try it out without messing with this install.
(2012-05-31, 07:17)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 06:22)clark kent Wrote: updated with the AMD drivers and the TrueHD audio is detected and working.
That is weird....when I asked you in post #1401, you said everything is up to date in post #1403......but I'm glad that you have TrueHD audio now.....Nod

Well it was up to date. I was just running the RealTek drivers instead of the AMD, and like I just said to DDDamian I actually just switched back to 11.12 and it is still working fine. I could swear I switched to RealTek in the first place because the AMD setup wasn't working, but who knows I am just glad everything is up and running now. Thanks for all your help.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - moravec - 2012-05-31

Cat. 12.4 drivers introduced a bug, that if you switch source no more HDMI if you switch back. Cat. 12.3 works fine.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - clark kent - 2012-05-31

Are you sure 12.3 works fine. Is there any advantage of me switching form 11.12 to 12.3 has that much really changed? lol

Actually I just ran XBMC AE branch nightly and that also works fine. Any opinions on which one I should run? Oh did I mention how much I absolutely love XBMC? Best program by far!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Phantom_Zone - 2012-05-31

(2012-05-31, 10:11)clark kent Wrote: Actually I just ran XBMC AE branch nightly and that also works fine. Any opinions on which one I should run? Oh did I mention how much I absolutely love XBMC? Best program by far!

AE is really coming on...I'm getting less and less issues with movies that wouldn't play with the bitstream patch so thumbs up here!

Best to play around...the latest AE build does crash a fair bit on me and this current patch is superb so unless you've issues I'd wait a bit longer!

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-05-31

(2012-05-31, 09:47)clark kent Wrote: Are you sure 12.3 works fine. Is there any advantage of me switching form 11.12 to 12.3 has that much really changed? lol
The 12.4 work fine on my HTPC's, and here is AMD release note- AMD Catalystâ„¢ Software Suite Version 12.4 Release Notes .....

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - tjcinnamon - 2012-05-31

(2012-05-31, 10:11)clark kent Wrote: Actually I just ran XBMC AE branch nightly and that also works fine. Any opinions on which one I should run? Oh did I mention how much I absolutely love XBMC? Best program by far!

Did it block all of the sound from External Programs (mainly emulators). When I ran the AE version I couldn't get Audio from any program other than XBMC. When XMBC was shut down the programs (in my case Nintendo Emulator) had sound again.

Perhaps they fixed this bug?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-05-31

tjcinnamon - not a bug - if you want HD audio it requires exclusive mode. If you want sound from other apps use DirectSound.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - clark kent - 2012-06-01

DDDamian since it seems as though the AE branch is working well for me I think I am going to make the switch. Would it be ok for me to install over my current build, or would uninstalling and installing AE be better?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - voip-ninja - 2012-06-01

I can't speak for Damian, but, for me, going with nightly builds is just a little too risky. The HD Audio patch is based on the official release which makes troubleshooting easier.

I would imagine we will see an 11.1 within a month or two that incorporates HD Audio.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-06-01

My $0.02....

Daniela's patch is wonderfully stable, and built on the very stable Eden 11.0 final. If your aim is just to get DTS-MA/TrueHD working with a minimal of fuss, then this is an excellent option, and kudo's to Daniela as I've said from post #2 here.

If you want the latest and greatest, and something where you can pull in new features as they come up, this patch isn't for you - it cannot be merged with any future release of XBMC as the base it is written on now includes AE as a core feature.

There are no stable 11.1's, 11.2's etc. As announced a while ago, the release model has changed. We merge features for 10 days of the month, and make fixes and prepare for the next merge cycle for the rest of the month. In theory, by the end of the month it's pretty stable - that's certainly the goal.

The bad news with that is the "stable" releases are 12.0 and so on, and those updates will come faster than the time between Dharma and Eden. The good news is it doesn't take a year or more to get new features like AE in. You are likely better grabbing an end-of-the-month nightly than after the first week of the month, but hey, if you have an issue you just get then next nights!

Troubleshooting is actually much easier with the nightlies. For one, AE has much better debugging logging. For another, the team always has recent code in front of them to diagnose with.

So to summarize: if this satisfies you then use it! It's very stable and does what it says on the tin. But you're stuck. If you want new features before 12.0 comes around, you have to go the other route, which you will sooner or later anyways Wink

Personal choice, and there is no wrong answer!

Either way, I recommend at least removing the old XBMC folder (not your userdata / databases) and guisettings.xml before installing pre-Frodo XBMC,

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - ix400 - 2012-06-01

(2012-06-01, 06:18)DDDamian Wrote: My $0.02....

Daniela's patch is wonderfully stable, and built on the very stable Eden 11.0 final. If your aim is just to get DTS-MA/TrueHD working with a minimal of fuss, then this is an excellent option, and kudo's to Daniela as I've said from post #2 here.

If you want the latest and greatest, and something where you can pull in new features as they come up, this patch isn't for you - it cannot be merged with any future release of XBMC as the base it is written on now includes AE as a core feature.

There are no stable 11.1's, 11.2's etc. As announced a while ago, the release model has changed. We merge features for 10 days of the month, and make fixes and prepare for the next merge cycle for the rest of the month. In theory, by the end of the month it's pretty stable - that's certainly the goal.

The bad news with that is the "stable" releases are 12.0 and so on, and those updates will come faster than the time between Dharma and Eden. The good news is it doesn't take a year or more to get new features like AE in. You are likely better grabbing an end-of-the-month nightly than after the first week of the month, but hey, if you have an issue you just get then next nights!

Troubleshooting is actually much easier with the nightlies. For one, AE has much better debugging logging. For another, the team always has recent code in front of them to diagnose with.

So to summarize: if this satisfies you then use it! It's very stable and does what it says on the tin. But you're stuck. If you want new features before 12.0 comes around, you have to go the other route, which you will sooner or later anyways Wink

Personal choice, and there is no wrong answer!

Either way, I recommend at least removing the old XBMC folder (not your userdata / databases) and guisettings.xml before installing pre-Frodo XBMC,

... will there always be sort of a fixed date when the new features get merged in? That would make it easier to predict when the nightlies become more unstable again in a new month.

Chris

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-06-01

Hi Chris - goes like this:

June 1st - June 10th: merge cycle - pull requests getting "blessed" by team members familiar with that code or the area it affects get vetted in and merged. This can create a higher chance of bugs than just small fixes, and the review process isn't perfect, but this is how new features and upgrades get in. These merges can happen anytime during this period.

June 11th - 30th: debug cycle - no features, only bug-fixes are allowed in. A mini-feature-freeze. Fixes ofc can be pushed any time, but the idea of this cycle is settling things down, ironing out bugs, and prepping work for the next merge cycle. Ofc bug-fixes sometimes create bugs.

Cycle repeats....

One typo can bring the whole thing down, as it did with Eden RC1, so there is no guarentees any time. That said, avoiding builds done between the 1st and 10th of every month is good if you're cautious. I only run nightlies Wink