Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats (/showthread.php?tid=121877)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - ix400 - 2012-06-01

... cool thing. I'll stick with the nightlies.

:-)

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - tjcinnamon - 2012-06-01

(2012-05-31, 19:56)DDDamian Wrote: tjcinnamon - not a bug - if you want HD audio it requires exclusive mode. If you want sound from other apps use DirectSound.

I'm rolling with your windows only version and have the same settings as the screenshot yet I'm not relegated to exclusive mode. Perhaps your version allows both? I can take a screenshot when I get home to prove it.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - voip-ninja - 2012-06-01

Damian, is there a specific build you can recommend as "stable" that has the new audio engine included?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-06-01

@voip-ninja - May 30th nightly was very good. Any taken after may run into this merge cycle

@tjcinnamon - not sure what you mean. AE supports WASAPI exclusive and DirectSound, and you can apply them to passthrough and non-passthrough independently of each other.

Just FYI folks - please use one of the AE threads for any further questions about it. I have no problems answering those there, and supporting Daniela's patch here as I have from day one (as with any other questions I feel I can help with), but let's keep them seperate. I have answered the pros and cons of each in a previous post, but supporting AE in this thread will confuse users Wink

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - Dixon Butz - 2012-06-01

NVM

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - shanndogg - 2012-06-08

Looking for some clarification on "Sync playback to display" using Eden with DanielaE's patch:

When playing back 24p mkv's with hd audio via bitstream, I would get dropped frames (I believe thanks to Intel's inability to output 23.976- I have an Ivy w/HD4000). I enabled "Sync playback to display" with "Video Clock(resample audio)" selected. This appears to have fixed the dropped frames.

However, I just read that using this option does not allow "passthrough." My receiver still shows DTS-HD MSTR on it's display, so I assume XBMC is still bitstreaming the audio? Am I confusing "passthrough" with "bitstreaming?"

Do I have it set correctly for what I am trying to accomplish (no dropped frames with bitstreamed HD audio), do I need to set it up differently, or should I be using the new AE build from the nighties?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-08, 08:55)shanndogg Wrote: However, I just read that using this option does not allow "passthrough." My receiver still shows DTS-HD MSTR on it's display, so I assume XBMC is still bitstreaming the audio? Am I confusing "passthrough" with "bitstreaming?"
Who said that? If your receiver display DTS-HD MSTR, it is the real deal. If everything work fine with "Sync playback to display" enabled and "Video Clock(resample audio)" selected, congratulation.......it's time to enjoy the movie......Nod

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-06-08

Kinda the opposite - resample audio does nothing when bitstreaming - it's ignored. It only does anything when playing pcm. You cannot resample passthrough with the existing code - there's no code there to do it.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - shanndogg - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-08, 18:16)bluray Wrote: Who said that? If your receiver display DTS-HD MSTR, it is the real deal. If everything work fine with "Sync playback to display" enabled and "Video Clock(resample audio)" selected, congratulation.......it's time to enjoy the movie......Nod

It's posted in the XBMC Wiki found here. This is the exact sentence: "The disadvantage of resampling is that it doesn't work with passthrough, and there is a slight loss of audio quality."

(2012-06-08, 18:25)DDDamian Wrote: Kinda the opposite - resample audio does nothing when bitstreaming - it's ignored. It only does anything when playing pcm. You cannot resample passthrough with the existing code - there's no code there to do it.

I am enjoying the movies/set up, I just like to understand and learn how things work and why turning on Sync playback to display with the resample audio option fixes the dropped frames. Is it just speeding up or slowing down the video to match what the HTPC's frequency is able to put out without touching the bitstreamed audio?

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-06-08

By my quick read it justs resets the error when the error exceeds the value it would normally drop a frame at (or speed up / slow down audio at if resampling). This may imply you'll get a slow drift over time, depends on other clocking values including in the file itself.

Note that this was from a two-minute look Wink

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - bluray - 2012-06-08

(2012-06-08, 19:48)shanndogg Wrote:
(2012-06-08, 18:16)bluray Wrote: Who said that? If your receiver display DTS-HD MSTR, it is the real deal. If everything work fine with "Sync playback to display" enabled and "Video Clock(resample audio)" selected, congratulation.......it's time to enjoy the movie......Nod

It's posted in the XBMC Wiki found here. This is the exact sentence: "The disadvantage of resampling is that it doesn't work with passthrough, and there is a slight loss of audio quality."
I read it and I saw it a long time ago.....well, you said it work fine with it in your HTPC and your receiver display DTS-HD......and you had problem without it..........

Maybe, there is some other un-known settings that we don't know about. It work fine with it on your HTPC, and I don't see a problem.......

Yeah, this is very interesting since by the definition in the wiki, it would seem it wouldn't do what it appears to be doing for me (eliminating dropped frames while bitstreaming).

I just set everything up so I have hardly watched anything yet. All I have been able to do is watch a TV show ripped from DVD to mkv and it played fine with "regular" settings (Adjust display refresh rate to match video on, no sync to display).

I then watched a bluray ripped to mkv in 24p and it was dropping frames every 4 minutes or so. Also, the audio was off by about .125 so I adjusted the delay in the options. About halfway through the movie I set Sync playback to display to "on" with the resample audio option (since it was the default when turning on the sync). For the last half of the movie it seemed fine- no drops and still saw DTS-MA on the receiver. Haven't had a chance to watch something from beginning to end yet like this so hopefully the audio doesn't drift over time.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - DDDamian - 2012-06-09

From DVDPlayerAudio.cpp ln780:

Code:
else if (m_synctype == SYNC_RESAMPLE)
    {
      //reset the integral on big errors, failsafe
      if (fabs(m_error) > DVD_TIME_BASE)
        m_integral = 0;
      else if (fabs(m_error) > DVD_MSEC_TO_TIME(5))
        m_integral += m_error / DVD_TIME_BASE / INTEGRAL;

Basically every time the error exceeds the threshold (and it would normally resample or skip or duplicate the audio packet here depending on the setting) if on videoclock or drop the frame if on the default audioclock, it instead just resets the accumulated error to zero. It all depends on the file a/v interleave what happens thereafter, i.e. if error continues to accumulate or a syncframe corrects it.

RE: - Dj Freddy D - 2012-06-11

(2012-03-10, 22:50)DDDamian Wrote:
Jaypeg Wrote:Anyone having any trouble playing mp3 audio on avi-files using this patch, the error seems to be consistent throughout my avi files with mp3 audio?

Furthermore, I don't get any audio on avi-files with ogg audio, but that is a general issue for Eden? I've seen some posts on the forum regarding this, but you guys might know something I guessed Wink

Update: It seems I have the same problem on normal RC2 client. The problem disappears when I set audio output to analog

It looks like it's trying to open the mp3 as passthrough, which most receivers will not accept. Not sure why it would do that (mine doesn't) unless you have the tag enabled in guisettings.xml

Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>wasapi:AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device)</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>9</channellayout>
        <dontnormalizelevels>false</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
        <mode>2</mode>
        <passthroughaac>true</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
        <passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
        [b]<passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>[/b]
    </audiooutput>

Have a look and make sure it's false.

For OGG I can't say - don't have any to test with.

I too am having this issue, I searched this thread for a solution but did not find any.

RE: [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats - gregnukem - 2012-06-26

Where did everybody go? Huh