Kodi Community Forum
Nvidia ION driver update now HTPC won't show up on plasma - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Nvidia ION driver update now HTPC won't show up on plasma (/showthread.php?tid=122469)

Nvidia ION driver update now HTPC won't show up on plasma - navig8r - 2012-02-10

OK here is my issue.
Last night I decided to update the Driver for my Nvidia ION video card.
So went to Nvidia site downloaded driver for the ION (64bit) then istalled it,
and BAM all of a sudden I can no longer get my HTPC to show up on my Samsung Plasma (PN59D7000)
I will break down my setup (also I did not change anything prior to driver update)

HTPC zotac zbox hd-id11
Running HDMI out to
onkyo tx-sr705
Then Onkyo runs HDMI to the Samsung

As stated before I did not change anything physically in the setup.

I will also mention that I can get it to show if I plug directly from HTPC to the Samsung.
I also tried a small PC monitor (non HDMI) and can see the HTPC, it will also detect the Onkyo.

So when it runs from HTPC to the Onkyo to the Samsung I get no picture.

Please help, I spent well over 5 hours last night trying to figure this out!! It is driving my nuts because I can not understand what could have happened.

Thanks

I thought I would add a bit more info
When I turn my computer on, I see the BIOS boot screen on my plasma TV with no problems.
Everything looks great. Then I see the initial Microsoft screen with the panning progress bar showing that Windows is booting. At this point things crap out. The TV goes blank with no signal right when the PC gets to the windows login screen.
I can't see anything. I can't figure out what is going wrong.
The only thing that works is if I boot to 'safe mode' Then I can see the windows login and desktop at the 800x600 screen resolution it defaults too.
You can't make any changes to resolution in safe mode however.

- buges - 2012-02-10

are you using windows by any chance??

If so boot into safe mode (F8 key when you turn the system on) & set the resolution & khz from there.

- navig8r - 2012-02-10

buges Wrote:are you using windows by any chance??

If so boot into safe mode (F8 key when you turn the system on) & set the resolution & khz from there.
Yes I am using windows, I have tried safe mode and it will apear ok (running through AVR) but once I restart in normal it's gone again. What resolution and khz should I have it set at? LIke I said I tried everything I could think of. I feel pretty dumb right now Oo Usually I am pretty good with these things

- buges - 2012-02-10

I'd dig out the manuals for the receiver & the plasma. 99% of manufacturers state what resolutions & khz there kit supports.

- navig8r - 2012-02-10

buges Wrote:I'd dig out the manuals for the receiver & the plasma. 99% of manufacturers state what resolutions & khz there kit supports.

I appreciate, I will do some digging or googling Smile Thanks for the help

Hope I can get this all squared away

- navig8r - 2012-02-10

I have been diggin all over the net and can't find anything on resolution settings for the Onkyo 705 and the Samsung PN59D7000 Angry

- Jogee - 2012-02-10

Whatever resolution your windows desktop is set to use (screen res and refresh rate) is not entirely compatible with your receiver. That's why the screen goes blank at the normal desktop, but not in safe mode or at POST.

Bring up the F8 display window (where you choose Safe Mode) and use the reset to vga option (cant remember the actual wording). This should let you get into your normal desktop, then play with the resolution settings.

Ciao.

- navig8r - 2012-02-10

Jogee Wrote:Whatever resolution your windows desktop is set to use (screen res and refresh rate) is not entirely compatible with your receiver. That's why the screen goes blank at the normal desktop, but not in safe mode or at POST.

Bring up the F8 display window (where you choose Safe Mode) and use the reset to vga option (cant remember the actual wording). This should let you get into your normal desktop, then play with the resolution settings.

Ciao.

I will give it a go and see what happens, this is driving me crazy, doesn't make sense as I didn't change anything in the setup except updating the Nvidia Driver......:confused2:

- buges - 2012-02-10

Looking at the specs for your Kit the Onkyo (hdmi) & the Samsung support 1080p

so I'd try 1280x720 @60hz or 1920x1080 @60hz

- navig8r - 2012-02-10

buges Wrote:Looking at the specs for your Kit the Onkyo (hdmi) & the Samsung support 1080p

so I'd try 1280x720 @60hz or 1920x1080 @60hz

Thank you, I will report back once I have a chance to test this out and let everyone know the results...again appreciate all the assistance Big Grin

- navig8r - 2012-02-15

Ok all I finally got the damn thing working, trying all kinds of things suggested and some other things, not sure what exactly did the trick, but I can tell you there is a setting on my Onkyo saying something like HDMI Audio Out = Yes/No. If i set it to No I get nothing on my screen. Stare However now the problem I am running into is getting proper audio out of XBMC, if I check either DTS capable, or surround sound capable (i think this is what it is) I get an error when playing movies saying audio device failed to initialize. As of right now I have to leave it set to these being unchecked Sad I have done a driver update for the nvidia HDMI audio and still does not make a difference. Has anyone else come across this issue and have a solution? I really appreciate all the help! Big Grin

- Jogee - 2012-02-18

The only times I've seen the "failed to initialize" message is when I forget to turn on the receiver before I start up XBMC, or when the receiver is off and I'm trying to play a DTS or AC3 content.

Stupid question: did you turn on the receiver before you turn on XBMC?

- navig8r - 2012-02-20

OK I finally got everything working the way it should. Not sure exactly what the cuplrit was. I ended up, updating my bios, reinstalled the drivers for the vid and audio about a dozen times, also did a fresh install of xbmc (eden 3) somehow I got it all working and with full 7.1 audio. Thanks for everyones help on this. Cool