Kodi Community Forum
Looking for a remote to control EVERYTHING - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Looking for a remote to control EVERYTHING (/showthread.php?tid=124005)

Pages: 1 2

Looking for a remote to control EVERYTHING - myksterx - 2012-02-26

Hi guys,
Currently looking for a remote to control everything!

By everything i mean:
- TV
- AMP
- DVD Player (Blue-ray)
- PC (media centre / xbmc)
- and anything else that is possible...

which can also do:
- Programmable keys
- Multi-Function Keys (ie. 1 press would turn amp over to appropriate setting and then select a certain setting on PC for example)

now, i have been lookingat a range of products, specifically logitech as they seem to be the most search results in ebay

but i am not understanding it all fully, i am new to the posh remote side of the set-up and i want to move over to a single remte rather than my current set-up of 4 remotes and a wireless keyboard (with touchpad)

i would like the remote to be able to programme into all my units
lg tv, lg blue-ray, sony amp, acer revo pc, etc.

now, i know theres hundreds to work normal IF units, but when it comes to needing it to work through my pc (mainly to use on XBMC- although i will find it useful for more functions on my pc) i dont know were to start.

so basicly i need advice on:
1) what sort of remotes am i looking for?
2) would i benefit from touch screen remotes (i do like poshness, so that is an option)
3) what price range am i looking at (i know they can range fom 50 - 350) but i mean for the specific ones you are recommending?

further
1) what software to use on pc to control
2) do i need to buy a IF receiver for pc
3) or do some connect to wifi??

as you can probably tell, im unsure of how these posh remotes work.
ive come across logitech harmony 1000 (the big touch screen one), althouh its pricey, its interesting and im interested.. (would there be any alternative systems to this, at a cheaper price?)

im not sure if i want a touchscreen unit like the harmony 1000, or a remote with a touch screen, or even a remote without a touch screen.. (arrrgggghhhh decisions!!!!!!)

ANY assistance and ANY knowledge on this subject would be very much appreciated, as this is the only thing im lacking at the moment and i want to make the right decision as i dont wanna buy a remote then change it after a few months - want to try and get it right the first time with your help!

cheers, mike

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-26

I have a low end Harmony (the 300) that can control four devices and has 1 multifunction button, and it only cost me about £20 from Amazon (though that was a special offer). The more expensive Harmonies add more devices and more multifunction buttons. Just decide how many of each you want and but the appropriate model.

For use with your PC you have to buy a receiver from an MCE remote. The HP receivers are popular and work well, or a cheaper option is to use a VRC-1100 remote. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Remote_control_reviews for some reviews of MCE remotes; the list includes the HP and VRC-1100 remotes.

JR

- jayleekay - 2012-02-26

I use this: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-remote.pl?mdl=RMVL600

It's a learning remote so I set it up to do exactly what I want it to do. System function "A" turns on receiver and TV and then sets the compenent to DVD (which is the function I use for controlling my computer) and while on DVD the volume controls control the AMP.

Amp runs my onkyo, TV runs my sharp lcd, DVD runs my computer, Cable runs my Uverse cable box, CD runs the NET functions of my Onkyo, VCR is set to control the XBox 360, and Sat runs the Roku.

I've gone through quite a bit of programming to get the thing exactly like I want but it's so easy a noobie can use it. I can't say the same for harmony remotes.

- nsviper - 2012-02-26

I have this with my ipod - universal remote - works great, even with my 15 year old stereo...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038Z45IW/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

- Chris! - 2012-02-26

jhsrennie Wrote:I have a low end Harmony (the 300) that can control four devices and has 1 multifunction button, and it only cost me about £20 from Amazon (though that was a special offer). The more expensive Harmonies add more devices and more multifunction buttons. Just decide how many of each you want and but the appropriate model.

For use with your PC you have to buy a receiver from an MCE remote. The HP receivers are popular and work well, or a cheaper option is to use a VRC-1100 remote. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Remote_control_reviews for some reviews of MCE remotes; the list includes the HP and VRC-1100 remotes.

JR

I have the 300 - very good, still less than £20 on amazon.co.uk.
I would recommend getting flirc (flirc.tv) for your computer (rather than MCE adapter - easy to set up, can use any remote (apart from MCE) and very powerful (and it's a charity project - next best thing to open source).

- matt77303 - 2012-02-27

Harmony one ftw

Matt

- DJVege - 2012-02-27

Lots of options. Smile

IR or RF remote.

IR promotes 'point and press'; IR promotes 'press' and wait. Smile

EventGhost is a great free app to catch events and launch associated actions to control your PC, or IR devices via an IR transmitter.

I currently use: iPad/iPhone + iRule (software to create your own remote screens on the phone) + USB-UIRT + eventghost.

I still have a Snapstream Firefly RF remote which I used to use with Eventghost and the USB-UIRT to control the world as well.

- calev - 2012-02-27

Event ghost is unintuitive and a pain to learn. Go with a harmony & mce adapter.

- optiix - 2012-02-27

Harmony one is so damn slooooow ! Sad

- DJVege - 2012-02-28

calev Wrote:Event ghost is unintuitive and a pain to learn. Go with a harmony & mce adapter.

I'll agree there is no perfect user friendly guide, but once you understand the basics, it's fairly easy to get up and running. The guys on the forums can help, as can I.

- calev - 2012-02-28

DJVege Wrote:I'll agree there is no perfect user friendly guide, but once you understand the basics, it's fairly easy to get up and running. The guys on the forums can help, as can I.

Good to know. I have a few remotes i wanted to try it out, but felt to frightened of event ghost.
Like the ps3 remote.

- Artiros - 2012-02-28

+1 for Harmony one. I guess some of the cheaper harmony remotes would work as well, haven't tried them...

I just got my harmony one set up to do everything I want. Since it can send both normal IR commands and key presses it is very flexible.

The OSD is also pretty good if you want to have some special commands that you do not have room for on the hard buttons. This is also very gf friendly as I can name then however I like.

E.g. I needed a button to turn 3D on, and toggle subtitles which I could not fit in any of the hard buttons. Soft buttons was a very elegant solution for this. I would say the remote is so easy to use after the setup that any of my visitors would have no problems using it to watch tv or use XBMC even if they have never seen XBMC before..

- myksterx - 2012-02-29

hi thanks for replies, just had a look at flirc.tv looks interesting and im interested.
although if i went this route, i wouldnt be able to control my LG TV, my Sony receiver, my Blue-ray player etc. as i think of what i read and see that it would basicly just be used on my Revo.

i need a remote that can control all of my appliances on my set-up so that it illiminates all remotes bar the one i purchase, i do like the look of the harmony one, although i would "prefer" a cheaper alternative that is capable of doing everything that can do?

plus someone mentioned here that it is a slow device?

event ghost isnt a problem i dont mind messing with software programs and im sure ive used event ghost in the past, it cant be that hard i dont think lol (and also members are willing to help use this program too)

i just need an all-rounder - everyone here seems to be thinking all for the media centre? or am i reading wrong lol

- DJVege - 2012-03-01

Cheapest... hmm...

EventGhost - Free - To map events to actions
USB-UIRT - $75 i think, delivered - so you can learn IR commands and transmit them to your devices
Then your choice of remote. Lot of options already listed.

- jhsrennie - 2012-03-01

DJVege Wrote:Cheapest... hmm...

EventGhost - Free - To map events to actions
USB-UIRT - $75 i think, delivered - so you can learn IR commands and transmit them to your devices
Then your choice of remote. Lot of options already listed.

A Harmony 300 is considerably cheaper in the UK.

JR