Kodi Community Forum
This thread is for forum update discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Website and Forum Issues or Suggestions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: This thread is for forum update discussion (/showthread.php?tid=124036)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - BORIStheBLADE - 2012-03-12

One thing I have noticed with the new forum is its hard to distinguish which threads have been updated since your last visit. With most other forum software the threads that have been updated since your last visit have titles that are bolder than the others. Not a big issue, but when I open a forum it looks like all are new every time I come on, Its stressing me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - generious - 2012-03-12

Some issues today?

MyBB SQL Error

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
1053 - Server shutdown in progress
Query:
SELECT t.*, (t.totalratings/t.numratings) AS averagerating, t.username AS threadusername, u.username FROM mybb_threads t LEFT JOIN mybb_users u ON (u.uid = t.uid) WHERE t.fid='52' AND t.visible='1' ORDER BY t.sticky DESC, t.lastpost desc LIMIT 0, 20

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - theuni - 2012-03-12

Now that the new forum is up and running, we had to some mysql tuning to accomodate. Looks like we're much better off now.

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - jd2157 - 2012-03-12

(2012-03-12, 16:35)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 16:11)frieten Wrote: wow i logged on and thought i'd gone back to 1999. wtf is with the ancient style forums? they look horrible Sad((

So you want some fancy multicoulored hard to read forum?

Don't know if you have looked the xbmchub.com forum but that one looks just plain horrible

Agree with both of you... new forums could use more color but not to the point of xbmchub. Even if the XBMC logo had some color/style that'd help... the original screen shots of what the forums might look like had a better banner/logo.

This thread is for forum update discussion - tredman - 2012-03-12

Woo Hoo, tapatalk working again!

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - TugboatBill - 2012-03-13

(2012-03-12, 17:16)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: One thing I have noticed with the new forum is its hard to distinguish which threads have been updated since your last visit. With most other forum software the threads that have been updated since your last visit have titles that are bolder than the others. Not a big issue, but when I open a forum it looks like all are new every time I come on, Its stressing me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

+1

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - ubuntuf4n - 2012-03-13

Nice forum update, however it would be good to have a slightly darker theme.
It's eye-burning and too bright.

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - Monkeypox - 2012-03-14

(2012-03-12, 23:33)tdw197 Wrote: Woo Hoo, tapatalk working again!

+1.
Like the forum update, love Tapatalk!

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - thrak76 - 2012-03-14

(2012-03-12, 16:04)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 15:52)thrak76 Wrote: Is it possible for this forum software to display post previews upon mouse hover over the thread link? That feature is so useful to me.

Gotta second that - will check with Da-anda who's done an amazing job on the forum move to MyBB!

Any word on this, by chance?

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - fyrfyter71 - 2012-03-15

(2012-03-13, 00:55)TugboatBill Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 17:16)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: One thing I have noticed with the new forum is its hard to distinguish which threads have been updated since your last visit. With most other forum software the threads that have been updated since your last visit have titles that are bolder than the others. Not a big issue, but when I open a forum it looks like all are new every time I come on, Its stressing me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

+1

I agree.

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - da-anda - 2012-03-15

(2012-03-15, 04:38)fyrfyter71 Wrote:
I agree.

that's already fixed - if not, check your browser cache. Only new/unread threads are bold now.

(2012-03-14, 21:45)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 16:04)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 15:52)thrak76 Wrote: Is it possible for this forum software to display post previews upon mouse hover over the thread link? That feature is so useful to me.

Gotta second that - will check with Da-anda who's done an amazing job on the forum move to MyBB!

Any word on this, by chance?
Will have a look at it - but it will take some time. I spent some workdays for the forum update/migration and need to catch up the lost time now to meet customers deadlines. But I fear this would require additional queries - and if so, it won't gonna happen for now until we know the server can handle it.

(2012-03-12, 15:43)wsume99 Wrote: After conversion some of the url links in my signature were not being displayed correctly (there was an extra space in the text between the = sign and the site address) so I tried to change them but I'm getting an error that indicates the max character length is 255. That is pretty short especially if you are using links in your signature. I believe the previous limit was 1000. Can we have the limit restored to 1000?
BBCode should not be counted in for the length check - so it should be enough. There might have been a issue with this when you tried it - so please try again.

RE: This thread is for forum update discussion - JoeLouie - 2012-03-15

I really like the look of MyBB. I currently run a forum using vBulletin, and I was debating switching to a free alternative, either phpBB (which I'm familiar with, and have used in the past) or MyBB (which I've never really used), and I think I've made up my mind after seeing this!

Good work guys!

(2012-03-15, 14:59)JoeLouie Wrote: I really like the look of MyBB. I currently run a forum using vBulletin, and I was debating switching to a free alternative, either phpBB (which I'm familiar with, and have used in the past) or MyBB (which I've never really used), and I think I've made up my mind after seeing this!

Good work guys!
Thanks. The theme you see here is a mod of the default theme - so you won't get it "officially" somewhere. I also did some "hacks" using myBBs hook system to get the topbar working as intended etc. - but the theme is not the biggest issue for a conversion. If you would like to migrate EVERYTHING that myBB supports and you currently use in vB like we did (subscriptions, banned users, custom user fields, buddies, signature pics, spammers, blocked ips) then you have to mess around with the converter script. I had to write 8 custom converter modules and modified pretty much all existing converters to perform better. Also if you like to keep the IDs so that links work again you have to mess with the converter scripts. If time allows I'll try to contribute my modifications to the official myBB converter - but I'm not sure if they would accept my hacks.