Kodi Community Forum
How many people only(or mostly) use file mode due to library limitations? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: How many people only(or mostly) use file mode due to library limitations? (/showthread.php?tid=124378)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- NEOhidra - 2012-03-02

DDDamian Wrote:From my perspective I've yet to see a project like this where users have near-instant and frequent communication to developers

Indeed this is something we (users) have to be grateful and apreciate.
Thanks a lot to the devs spending time in the forums!

Giving more to the users (and require nothing in return) will make them want/demand even more - we are greedy!

- Munch - 2012-03-02

devkid Wrote:Care to explain what "MB" is?

Fun Fact:
Googling for "xbmc vs mb" brings exactly this thread as first result Smile

MB=Media Browser - XBMC's windows only competitor.

- Munch - 2012-03-02

jmarshall Wrote:First off, Eden does actually move a fair way to what you want. Just not far enough Wink

It is a improvement for sure. But the problem is still that I spend most of my time not only in file mode but in my download folder which contains mixed content. As all my new content is not automatically put in their respective folders. It does not have to move physically just index the series and put them in their respective series list under series and for movies automatically appear there with metadata although they physically still reside in the download folder.

I only really go to the Movies and Series folder to visit stuff I already watched and moved. But by the time I move them they are already watched. So no matter what you do with playlist whatever the problem remains that mixed folders need handled somehow.

- Munch - 2012-03-02

Martijn Wrote:And all of that can do easily be done with smartplaylist!
If you already have them sorted in different folders.

How would you know if it is easy to be programed? Have you already tried?
All takes time to do it right.

You missing my point. The thing is they are not sorted in different folders yet as they are in my download folder. By the time they are they have already been watched(The downloads are automated so when I get home I just want to plonk down on the couch and watch whatever is new). So I will only see them indexed for stuff I want to re watch. In addition it ignores other content types unless you create nfo's. All stuff that can be automated.

I realize things take time. And I am a developer myself. That is why I do appreciate what is beign done by the dev's. I have already started creating my own player written in C#. Well the whole media front part of it. However it takes time and if there is a solution out there that does this already I would not have to. If I write my own player from scratch it could take maybe a year given my free time. I understand the dev's here also have limited time but they are dedicated to this project and the changes I propose will benefit everyone not just me. I am not the first person to ask for this.

- Munch - 2012-03-02

Also take note that the changes I want were not my expectations for Eden. I knew month ago already that Eden is unlikely to include my wishlist. However now that Eden is nearly done I want to ensure that the next version focuses on streamlining the library. Even if it takes a year. I do realize it takes time.

- stoli - 2012-03-02

Munch Wrote:You missing my point. The thing is they are not sorted in different folders yet as they are in my download folder. By the time they are they have already been watched(The downloads are automated so when I get home I just want to plonk down on the couch and watch whatever is new). So I will only see them indexed for stuff I want to re watch. In addition it ignores other content types unless you create nfo's. All stuff that can be automated.

100% of my downloads are completely automated. Movies via CouchPotato, TV via SickBeard and music via HeadPhones. I don't touch a thing and it's all imported and scraped to the appropriate library in XBMC. Then I just select "Recently Added" and it's all there. Simple as that.

- magao - 2012-03-03

TeKo Wrote:Use Explorer/Filemanager and VLC player then...

Let the guys working on XBMC alone.

You thought I was criticising the devs? Far from it - I really appreciate that they have put so much effort into ensuring that both library mode and file mode are available for people who have different needs and desires of their HTPC.

Oh - and please explain how I would use Explorer and VLC with OpenELEC ...

- gquiring - 2012-03-03

Memphiz Wrote:Guess today its "Lets shit on the devs day" ... looking forward to the "devs shit on users" day then - ohh wait obviously Eden already takes care of that...

Maybe we should get rid of file mode - ohh better not - obviously its exactly what fits your needs...
I really don't think he's crapping on the devs. It's just some valid limitations of XBMC when compared to other apps like Media Browser. We know you guys do this for free and it's very well appreciated but the users have a right to provide opinions of what they feel is lacking.

- isamu.dragon - 2012-03-03

Munch Wrote:MB=Media Browser - XBMC's windows only competitor.

ReallyHuh?

What about MediaPortal?
What about Plex for Windows?
What About Boxee?
What About SageTV?

You obviously never looked at other programs. Ironically, MediaPortal, Plex, and Boxee are based on the XBMC code.

These are all decent programs, I've used them all, and XBMC is king.
How hard is it to NAME your Movies correctly?
Use this scheme for ease:
Code:
<Movie Name> (Year).ext
or
<Movie Name> (Year)\<Movie Name> (Year).<Source Type>.ext
It works magic, evey time the library scrapes those perfectly.
How Hard is it to NAME you TV Shows (And Episodes) correctly?
Use this scheme for ease:
Code:
<Show Name>\S01E01.ext
or
<Show Name>\Season <#>\S01E01.ext
or
<Show Name>\Season <#>\<ShowName> - S01E01.ext
or
<Show Name>\Season <#>\<ShowName> - S01E01 - <EpisodeName>.ext
or

<Show Name>\Season <#>\<ShowName> - S01E01 - <EpisodeName> - <SourceType>.ext
Notice how I gave all the different variants of 1 basic scheme. What you may or may not know is some use an absolute scheme (Meaning in a 100 episode show, the first is 1 and the last is 100), some use the 1x01 method. while others use the 101 method.

for what you want, how would XBMC differentiate all of those episode naming schemes?

Then you have the question of auto detect of source. How would it know the difference between Batman (1966 TV Show) and Batman (1966 Movie)?
or even Batman (1966 TV Show) and Batman (1989 Movie)?

- ashlar - 2012-03-04

pTeronaut Wrote:Those who complain about XBMC, should return it for a full refund of the amount that they paid for it.
WTF are you talking about? Do you seriously think XBMC is a great product just thanks to developers? User feedback is unimportant in your opinion?

So a free product should go on uncriticized just because it's free? We are in the feature suggestions forum and Munch post was surely polite and tried to explain in depth what behaviour he was after from XBMC. The first reply was "this is 'let's rain shit on developers' day". From a developer.

Memphiz, have this forum closed, or if it gets to you nerves like this, don't read it in a bad day. Rolleyes

- Memphiz - 2012-03-04

ashlar Wrote:Memphiz, have this forum closed, or if it gets to you nerves like this, don't read it in a bad day. Rolleyes

Quote:Most of the work the developers put in to version 11 will go wasted because file mode remains the only usable mode. Ironically users have been complaining and feature requesting a improved library like forever and their request have fallen on deaf ears.

This is definitly shitting on all work which was done by all devs for getting eden rolling. And its a total egoistic attitude. There are a real big bunch of requests by useres which where realised in eden - but as allways "its all unimportant as long as these are not the requests i am interested in".

Ashlar i can say my opinion here like every other forum user too. And when you roll your eyes then it might happen that the stay in a uncomfortable position *like all mothers would say it*.

- Munch - 2012-03-04

isamu.dragon Wrote:ReallyHuh?

What about MediaPortal?
What about Plex for Windows?
What About Boxee?
What About SageTV?
I never said it does not have other windows competitors i said 'windows only' not 'only windows' meaning MB only runs on windows and XBMC is cross platform.

I did try all those other options before too and they have problems of their own out of scope of this discussion.

- Munch - 2012-03-04

isamu.dragon Wrote:ReallyHuh?

How hard is it to NAME your Movies correctly?

It's not much to do with the naming it's to do with importing them. I could not care what the file names are on disk. The names imported into the library is a different story.

isamu.dragon Wrote:for what you want, how would XBMC differentiate all of those episode naming schemes?
From what I can tell 99% of content downloaded use the same naming scheme. So the user can then say configure xbmc to rename to his own preferred scheme if he wishes. Or configure the type of naming you use. Since all new files will have a certain naming convention which is know it will be easy for xbmc to rename and import the file name into the library. Even so when there is uncertainty or ambiguity the files can go to a exception list that can be reviewed by the user when he wants.

What I am getting at is XBMC controls you filesystem and presents them to you in a clean formated way with metadata. The actually name of the files should not have to matter and can even be hidden from the user. I understand some people will want clean file systems so let XBMC rename the files to your chosen format.

isamu.dragon Wrote:Then you have the question of auto detect of source. How would it know the difference between Batman (1966 TV Show) and Batman (1966 Movie)?
or even Batman (1966 TV Show) and Batman (1989 Movie)?
I never asked for perfect detection. Sometimes some detection is better than none when most of the time it will be right. Again in this instance it could go to an exception list informing the user. Or a set of rules can be followed on what to do. Such as assume movie before series. Maybe even consider the length of the movie and if it's longer than say 60 minutes assume it's a movie. But in reality you should not even run into this example as tv series have episode numbers attached to them when downloaded. Movies do not. So Batman tv series will have file names like Batman s01e01

- Munch - 2012-03-04

stoli Wrote:100% of my downloads are completely automated. Movies via CouchPotato, TV via SickBeard and music via HeadPhones. I don't touch a thing and it's all imported and scraped to the appropriate library in XBMC. Then I just select "Recently Added" and it's all there. Simple as that.

A sensibly reply. However not 100% of the stuff I download and watch are movies or series. Where does my other media go? Also how often does xbmc scrape it's folders? Only on start up? Because I never shut xbmc down. So will it scrape.

Anyway I am looking at other solutions. To supplement xbmc. This this the kind of stuff I am requesting to be built into xbmc so no need for 3rd party applications will be needed. I am still working on a method but I am thinking something like this.
1. RSS Downloads to download folder not scraped by xbmc.
2. Tv Rename or something similar to move and rename files to a series folder that is monitored and scraped by xbmc
3. Similar app for Movies
4. Similar app for other Files.
5. A app or individual apps to maybe scrape and generate nfo files for series movies and other types(A friend of mine has actually written this app already and it runs as a windows service. Works allot better than any other scraping app out there and is the only app to do documentary episode numbering correctly. He uses Media Browser though but intends to enhance it for xbmc too. The app also moves and renames files. So far it only works for series and documentaries but he intends adding movie support too. He might release it to the internet when it's feature complete.)

In a ideal world step 2-5 would be done by xbmc but it only does a partial job. And the interface is designed the idea of only Movies and Series and not custom points.

And if some of the apps above are not available I will write them myself. That should at least give a reasonable experience though it is not really user friendly. I tend to think more around the idea of the media center must manage the media. Kind of like the way WMP or iTunes does you music collection so you don't have to worry about the files where they are, what they are called and how to get them to show up etc. You must be able to give the app to you grandmother and when installed it will just work the same for everyone. Maybe think the way a apple or iphone app will be design or even android where the OS does not really want the user to know about the underlying file system and that it exists.

I am really trying to be constructive here. I realize some dev's don't see it that way, but I am. It's more a matter of them getting off on the wrong foot with me. My other posts do explain my position better so wont re-explain.

- nooryani84 - 2012-03-04

I read the first few posts and that was enough. I've worked in the customer service/support industry for 4-5 years now and if there's one thing you learn is that there will always be users who aren't happy with the product no matter what. Certain features aren't there or don't work the way they want it to, which is fine if you're a paying customer for a closed-source application.

XBMC is open source and community driven. It's a damn good piece of software and if I had a hat I would take it off to the developers. In the past I've only briefly used XBMC and put it aside due to my unwillingness to spend time configuring it. I realize now that if you want a tailor-made solution you need to spend a considerable amount of time finetuning it to YOUR liking.

XBMC does the job extremely well and performance/stability has been exceptional in my experience though forming a solid opinion on this only comes through longer periods of time using software. Please take this as a "take my hat off to the devs day"

If there's something that doesn't work the way you want it too then you either a.) file a feature request b.) wait patiently c.) learn C++ and fix it yourself d.) do like everyone else and learn to work with what you have

You're not paying for XBMC, it's a gift considering how full fledged it actually is.

Edit: Adding features/improving XBMC has no doubt been a huge undertaking for the developers. Consider the fact that there's also a roadmap for future versions of XBMC already and you'll see there's very little room for user feedback regarding adding more features while still being able to maintain a release schedule.