Kodi Community Forum
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only (/showthread.php?tid=124600)

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-05-22

@JHTom - do you have another TrueHD sample file? Just concerned by all the ffmpeg errors in the log - don't usually see those and they make me suspicious of the file.

EDIT: scratch that - just reproduced it here by disabling TrueHD and m/c pcm capable. Looks like the a/v sync clock repeatedly goes negative while transcoding to AC3, so that's a bug.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Senthil - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-10, 03:48)DDDamian Wrote: We've been working on a seperate branch for next month's merge window as this one closes tomorrow. Bug-fixes can be pushed to master any time though and will continue to be the first priority. Gnif has written a new class and methods for handling DSP's (digital signal processors) and I have written two so far - a headphones enhancement and a low-pass filter for subs when upmixing. Next is a DRC (dynamic range compression) feature for better voice clarity similar to a "night mode" on many receivers, making movies less "loud" while allowing you to hear speech better.

We also have a lot to do in terms of documentation (the Wiki for one) and a better GUI settings page, hopefully over the next month or so.

Thanks for all the testing work so far, and hope you enjoy our efforts as much as we do Smile

Great to see finally great guys hear working on DSP's, last time when i looked in the feature requests, ticket no-#65 (Equalizer and audio channel volume control) and #66(Configurable Audio Normalization Levels) these features are really good to have and specially for people using analog out (get rid of that dodgy AVR's) lol.

Hi DDDamian, just curious to know! do you have any idea of possible implementation of these DSP's! i mean #65 & #66. If we do a voting across the world for these DSP's in xbmc, you might be surprised how many people wanted this.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-05-25

Hi Senthil - in the post you quoted of mine those are the first three: headphones HRTF (head-related transfer function), a low-pass filter to protect subs from higher frequencies, and DRC.

I think next up will be configurable downmix normalization and channel levels. An EQ is probably more of a GUI challange from my perspective - not much GUI experience here, but some other team members can help with that.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Senthil - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-25, 04:47)DDDamian Wrote: Hi Senthil - in the post you quoted of mine those are the first three: headphones HRTF (head-related transfer function), a low-pass filter to protect subs from higher frequencies, and DRC.

I think next up will be configurable downmix normalization and channel levels. An EQ is probably more of a GUI challange from my perspective - not much GUI experience here, but some other team members can help with that.

Great thanks rep +1..Laugh

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-25, 05:46)Senthil Wrote:
(2012-05-25, 04:47)DDDamian Wrote: Hi Senthil - in the post you quoted of mine those are the first three: headphones HRTF (head-related transfer function), a low-pass filter to protect subs from higher frequencies, and DRC.

Great thanks rep +1..Laugh

Heh - thx - thank me twice when they're done Tongue

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Senthil - 2012-05-26

(2012-05-25, 08:06)DDDamian Wrote: Heh - thx - thank me twice when they're done Tongue

Yes, I appreciate your enthusiasm in this community. Specially I'm after the proper DRC and individual channel level adjustment. Gnif and the team done the great job in coding the AE, While everyone working on bit-steaming to the AVR, what about people just using analog output? definitely DSP's are very importent to have in XBMC, If we can get some of these DSP's right, XBMC will dominate other mediacentre software in the market (just my view of thinking). I'm looking forward to see some of them. cheers

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-05-26

Cool - we're aiming to please both the bitstreamers and the good ol' music listeners too (like me Smile). Good things ahead!

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-05-26

ReplayGain is now fully functional again and in master/nightlies. You'll see the new GUI settings in Settings>Music>Playback.

Changes are applied to the next track, so are not immediate. Be careful not use Pre-Amp settings too far from the default of 89dB unless you are really sure - those values are in decibels, so each 6dB doubles the volume, and excessive volume will cause clipping. You can enable avoid clipping to prevent this if your files are correctly scanned/tagged for peak values.

Enjoy!

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - meridius - 2012-05-26

I was just wondering has the audio sync problems with 24p and dts tracks been fixed with this new xbmc audio ? As with xbmc 10 and 11 have audio sync problems with ds and sync to audio settings

Cheers

@meridius - most reports seem to suggest it has - what happens on your system only you will know.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Senthil - 2012-05-27

(2012-05-26, 08:37)DDDamian Wrote: ReplayGain is now fully functional again and in master/nightlies. You'll see the new GUI settings in Settings>Music>Playback.

Changes are applied to the next track, so are not immediate. Be careful not use Pre-Amp settings too far from the default of 89dB unless you are really sure - those values are in decibels, so each 6dB doubles the volume, and excessive volume will cause clipping. You can enable avoid clipping to prevent this if your files are correctly scanned/tagged for peak values.

Enjoy!

Great... thanks, will test this out !Cool

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-05-27

New tag added in as.xml - <allowtranscode44100> - prevents resampling 44100hz to 48000hz over spdif - may lock up some old receivers, but should be fine on most. Good if you don't want any resampling,

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - HeresJohnny - 2012-05-27

(2012-05-26, 19:45)meridius Wrote: I was just wondering has the audio sync problems with 24p and dts tracks been fixed with this new xbmc audio ? As with xbmc 10 and 11 have audio sync problems with ds and sync to audio settings

For those who have problems with 24p synching, I'd suggest you try the following:

Most often, these problems arise when the PC is connected to the TV. Some older Nvidia and Intel chipsets do not correctly sync to those. That's because they can only output 24hz instead of 23.976Hz and will invariably lead to stuttering. A solution could be to set the refresh rate of your TV-connected PC to 23Hz permanently which should be interpreted correctly for 23.976 material. Now, if you activate "Adjust display refresh rate to video" within XBMC it should only change the refresh rate for material OTHER than 23.976hz.

On an offtopic side note, does anybody know why the "VIDEO" section in the post-Eden nightlies does not show thumbnails for new videos anymore? I hate to have to activate both "TV Shows" and "Movies" to get them. I hope this is not a permanent design change.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - meridius - 2012-05-27

(2012-05-27, 09:00)HeresJohnny Wrote:
(2012-05-26, 19:45)meridius Wrote: I was just wondering has the audio sync problems with 24p and dts tracks been fixed with this new xbmc audio ? As with xbmc 10 and 11 have audio sync problems with ds and sync to audio settings

For those who have problems with 24p synching, I'd suggest you try the following:

Most often, these problems arise when the PC is connected to the TV. Some older Nvidia and Intel chipsets do not correctly sync to those. That's because they can only output 24hz instead of 23.976Hz and will invariably lead to stuttering. A solution could be to set the refresh rate of your TV-connected PC to 23Hz permanently which should be interpreted correctly for 23.976 material. Now, if you activate "Adjust display refresh rate to video" within XBMC it should only change the refresh rate for material OTHER than 23.976hz.

On an offtopic side note, does anybody know why the "VIDEO" section in the post-Eden nightlies does not show thumbnails for new videos anymore? I hate to have to activate both "TV Shows" and "Movies" to get them. I hope this is not a permanent design change.

Hi there

thanks but here is my spec of my hardware

My pc spec is

Cpu: intel i3 3.3ghz 65W running on low mhz mode so when needed it ups the clock speed
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M Pro
Memory: Corsair 4GB vengeance
GFX Card: Sapphire 6570 1GB Passive
XBMC 10.1

My Hardware Spec is
Pioneer 5090 TV
Yamaha RX-3900 Amp

I have set my XBMC options to
Video
Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2) = ON
Adujt Disply Refresh Rate To Match Video = ON
Synce Playback to display = OFF

Audio
Audio output = HDMI
Speaker config = 5.1
Dolby Digital = ON
DTS = ON
Audi output Device = WASAPI ATI HDMI HD AUDIO

I have alos went into the ati audio driver to select let programs take control of this device which is also selected

My Pc is hooked up to the amp then to the tv using HDMI cables that uses 1.3

I dont get any audio problems apart from 24p DTS videos, all other 24p content with different audio works spot on so its just this combo. I use the older XBMC 10.1 as i was going to upgrade to XBMC 11 but herd and read that had the same problems.

This is why i am asking if this has been fixed on the latest build. my machine should play these back with no problems at all.

The thing is i dont want to mess things up to much as the build out now are not true releases and wanting to know is there a way of trying the new versions out without damaging the version i have on now ? and can it be removed without problems.

I have done alot of custom setting for xbmc
eg i have it boot stright into the login screen as i have 2 profiles one for the amp and one for the tv.

thanks for any advice or help on the above

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - jpsdr - 2012-05-27

I've take a look at the code, and unless i've missed something, apparently it doesn't check WMA passthrough. There is receiver wich can decode WMA (like mine Tongue).
Is it something wich may be add in the future (WMA passthrough) ?
Or is there some technical issues wich make the feature very hard to implement ?