Kodi Community Forum
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only (/showthread.php?tid=124600)

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - fat-tony - 2012-08-20

(2012-08-17, 22:45)DDDamian Wrote: ...

Anyways - if some of you thread veterans care to give a summary of current issues that would be helpful.

Cheers, Damian

Welcome back, Damian Big Grin

While you were away I got my hands on a suitable PS3 and have ripped the SACDs in my collection. I encountered a couple of issues with multichannel playback (reported way back in the "Support for AE on the Windows platform thread"), so I'll summarise here:

Playback of 5.0 (as opposed to 5.1) FLAC files doesn't work as AE can't find an exact match for the format.
Code:
4:25:37 T:1048   DEBUG: CFileCache::Open - opening <C:\transfers\Miles Davis\Kind Of Blue (SACD 5.0)\01 - So What.flac> using cache
14:25:37 T:3732  NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
14:25:37 T:1048    INFO: AudioDecoder: File is queued
14:25:37 T:1048    INFO: CSoftAE::MakeStream - AE_FMT_S24NE3, 88200, FL,FR,FC,BL,BR
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CSoftAE::Run - Sink restart flagged
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CAESinkWASAPI::IsCompatible: Formats Incompatible due to different :Channels:Sample Rates
14:25:37 T:392    INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - sink incompatible, re-starting
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CAESinkWASAPI::Initialize: Initializing WASAPI Sink Rev. 1.0.5
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: Checking IsFormatSupported with the following parameters:
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Sample Rate     : 88200
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Sample Format   : AE_FMT_FLOAT
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Bits Per Sample : 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Valid Bits/Samp : 24
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Channel Count   : 5
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Block Align     : 20
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Avg. Bytes Sec  : 1764000
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Samples/Block   : 24
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Format cBSize   : 22
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Channel Layout  : FL,FR,FC,BL,BR
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   Channel Mask    : 55
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG:   SubFormat       : KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_PCM
14:25:37 T:392   ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: IsFormatSupported failed (AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT) - trying to find a compatible format
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Format    : AE_FMT_FLOAT
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Rate      : 384000
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Bits/Sample      : 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Valid Bits/Sample: 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Rate      : 192000
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Valid Bits/Sample: 32
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Sample Rate      : 176400
14:25:37 T:392   DEBUG: WASAPI: Trying Valid Bits/Sample: 32 ..........etc etc...

Works fine if I use DirectSound instead of WASAPI

Link to original post here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131237&pid=1136056#pid1136056

Album navigation causes reset of WASAPI sink - sometimes:

I have found another issue with the AE code when playing multichannel FLAC audio files. If I start playing an album, xbmc recognises the format (usually 6 channel, 24 bit at 88.2kHz) and sets the WASAPI sink accordingly. If I leave the album play through normally all is ok. However, if I use the up and down arrow keys on my remote in order to skip to a specific track, xbmc will sometimes determine that there has been a change in the number of audio channels or sampling rate and will initialise the WASAPI sink back to 44.1kHz, two channels momentarily, then re-initialise WASAPI back to 88.2kHz, six channels and play the song. This cause a "click" in the relay on my Onkyo AVR and sometimes results in the first milliseconds of the song being missed. This does not happen on stereo (2.0) FLACs, only multichannel (5.1) and then only sometimes. Foobar on the same machine does not exhibit this WASAPI re-initialisation problem at all.

Link to original post here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131237&pid=1137745#pid1137745

No stable support for Realtek HDMI drivers

Like many others I have been using the Realtek HDMI drivers (in place of the MS ones) in order to get a full 24 bit 192kHz six channel experience on my AMD/ATI based Fusion motherboard. AE + Realtek HDMI drivers = unbelievable video stutter.

I fixed it by removing the Realtek drivers completely and installed the specific drivers from the ATI Catalyst package. Flanger216 has made some comments on Realtek drivers earlier in this thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124600&pid=1141969#pid1141969

High CPU utilisation when playing audio

Normal CPU utilisation when playing live TV or video files, but it goes up >70% if you play regular stereo or multichannel FLAC.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - liquidskin76 - 2012-08-21

(2012-08-17, 23:21)liquidskin76 Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 22:45)DDDamian Wrote: Everyone - sorry for the absence. Without going into details I was a little unhappy with how certain things got handled post-merge, and had to think long and hard about the time I was investing in development. As the merge went forward gnif and I had already begun developing the second release of AE.

It's been two months since that pull request was submitted PR #1074 including DSP's and many fixes to the initial AE release.

Some of that code has made it into master (primarily fixes, thx Memphiz and Davilla) but it seems a few things were broken along the way as well.

It will take me some time to reconcile my dev branch with current master due to these changes, but I will likely continue with AE development. First is to get a few more fixes in such as the freezing issue reported by ace20022 and others, then with the feature packs like DSPs and user-defined channel mapping. That said, I don't want it to consume as much real-world time as the huge effort prior to the merge.

Gnif is taking some time away from programming and that left me as the sole developer for AE; a job which got a little demanding when trying to support the users here as well.

So while I'll pick up where I left off again, forgive me if at times I have to balance the dev time with the support time - just not enough hours in the day lol.

Anyways - if some of you thread veterans care to give a summary of current issues that would be helpful.

Cheers, Damian

Hey Damian,

Really glad you're back and carrying on with AE. The work and time you have given to date is great! Wink

Only issue i have (using Frodo Alpha 3) is that wasapi is locking out audio when using external players. For example, i'm using Arcsoft TMT for 3D playback.

Is exclusive mode a requirement for HD audio bitstreaming? I believe there used to an option to enable/disable exclusive mode. Would resurecting that be a solution?

I've got a feeling this will be a major bug report on Frodo release, as obviously external players are widely used.

Cheers again for your dev and support time! Keep your chin up buddy.

Many thanks

Hi Damian,

Just seen this post in another thread... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138633&pid=1173601#pid1173601

Excellent... great to see you're on the case. Wink

Many thanks Big Grin

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - garysday - 2012-08-22

Guys,

Quick Q.. I have a Zotac ID41+ which has the NVIDIA ION GPU, this apparently doesn't support Bitstreaming of HD, however does support 8 Channel LPCM, is there anyway I can use this machine to output DTS-Master Audio (DTS-HD) to my DTS-MA capable receiver or do i need to upgrade my box to one that supports the next gen Nvidia chipsets to support Bitstreaming of HD Audio ?

Thx

Gary
Guys,

Quick Q.. I have a Zotac ID41+ which has the NVIDIA ION GPU, this apparently doesn't support Bitstreaming of HD, however does support 8 Channel LPCM, is there anyway I can use this machine to output DTS-Master Audio (DTS-HD) to my DTS-MA capable receiver or do i need to upgrade my box to one that supports the next gen Nvidia chipsets to support Bitstreaming of HD Audio ?

Thx

Gary

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - PatrickBateman - 2012-08-22

(2012-08-22, 17:30)garysday Wrote: Guys,

Thx

Gary
Guys,

Thx

Gary

You will more than likely have to upgrade... I have ion boxes and ati boxes and iOS devices and I had to move my main HTPC away from ion due to the inability to bit stream HDAudio Sad

The ion will do TrueHD though, so it's not all bad.
I've jut bought another ati box (a newer version of the same box) and am currently testing that out also, but so far it bit streams all hd audio perfectly.. Albeit not on AE?

I had mad issues with Alpha 3...
I had a strange video anomalys where upon the top of my video would corrupt, I had constant crashes, slow DB navigation and inability to scroll my library...
Constant app crashes, hangs, audio drop outs etc and after only a few days had to drop back to Daniellas build.

So don't upgrade in a rush, it's still in the oven and won't be ready for some time yet Big Grin

But as an example of what to get,
Try the ACER REVO RL70 as currently it's about £170 and it's a fantastic little work horse and looks great!
4GB DDR 3 ram
Dual core 1.65ghz CPU
HD6420 GPU
Wireless KB&M
HDMI 1.4a
IR
Etc
Etc

All for £170ish...
Plus there are a few revo users on here so if you need any help at least you can ask those who have already suffered Big Grin (like me) lol

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-08-25

Just submitted a PR to fix the external player issues with WASAPI exclusive mode
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1326

As it's a fix and not a feature I'll push it in before months-end and the next merge window - just giving a chance for some OSX/Linux dev's review.

@fat-tony & others - will respond shortly - the fix above was a priority Wink

Re: RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - jack0w - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-25, 08:28)DDDamian Wrote: Just submitted a PR to fix the external player issues with WASAPI exclusive mode

As it's a fix and not a feature I'll push it in before months-end and the next merge window - just giving a chance for some OSX/Linux dev's review.

That's great thanks DDDamian!

Will this fix be in tonight's nightly build?

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-25, 13:36)jack0w Wrote:
(2012-08-25, 08:28)DDDamian Wrote: Just submitted a PR to fix the external player issues with WASAPI exclusive mode

That's great thanks DDDamian!

Will this fix be in tonight's nightly build?

Will not be in nightlies yet - waiting for a few more dev comments as there are other areas than external players which can make use of this - you can follow any debate via the link. Patience young grasshopper lol Wink

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - fat-tony - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-25, 08:28)DDDamian Wrote: ...

No problemo Damian Wink

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - HeresJohnny - 2012-08-25

(2012-08-17, 22:45)DDDamian Wrote: had to think long and hard about the time I was investing in development
DDDamian, while XBMC is a team effort, AE wouldn't have been possible without you and gnif, certainly not in the timeframe for Eden. You have been a driving force as well as a balancing voice in development and I think I speak out loud what most are thinking who enjoy AE now: You should coordinate this part of the XBMC project and don't let uncordinated efforts get you down. I'm not a programmer and can't really say who inside the team has more porgramming skills, but you brought a lot of passion with your technical skills which have influenced everybody positively. (I'm not saying this to put you above others, gnif is a driving force as well but strikes me as more of a thinker and behind-the-curtains person). So just be aware that you have the community's faith and support should you need it.

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-08-27

(2012-08-25, 22:48)HeresJohnny Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 22:45)DDDamian Wrote: had to think long and hard about the time I was investing in development
DDDamian, while XBMC is a team effort, AE wouldn't have been possible without you and gnif, certainly not in the timeframe for Eden. You have been a driving force as well as a balancing voice in development and I think I speak out loud what most are thinking who enjoy AE now: You should coordinate this part of the XBMC project and don't let uncordinated efforts get you down. I'm not a programmer and can't really say who inside the team has more porgramming skills, but you brought a lot of passion with your technical skills which have influenced everybody positively. (I'm not saying this to put you above others, gnif is a driving force as well but strikes me as more of a thinker and behind-the-curtains person). So just be aware that you have the community's faith and support should you need it.

@HeresJohnny - you made my day Smile

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - jjd-uk - 2012-08-27

You do a marvelous job Damian, the time you spend on both support & development is very much appreciated and I'm sure there are a lot of people around here very happy to see you back Smile

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - DDDamian - 2012-08-27

Really glad you guys are enjoying and supporting AE as well!
Fix for external players is complete and ready to go. Gonna concentrate on fixes as much as possible as we're in alpha's for Frodo, Then all hell might break loose lol, but after that I'll dust off some of the already written new features like the DSPs and get them in.

Thx for the support and kind words guys.

Re: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - Martijn - 2012-08-27

Just take your time DDDamian Smile
No one is behind you with a whip Wink

Martijn - leave my love life out of it Rofl Cool

RE: [Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only - bossanova808 - 2012-08-28

Just one more awesome work DDDamian (in general, on all of AE) & thanks for addressing the whole suspend/resume streaming silence thing. Looks like the best decision has been made - release the device by default (since holding it brings no real benefit to most) - but offer a stream-silence advanced setting for those with temperamental receivers....

Incidentally somewhere back in this thread I posted a note about boomy sound recurring with AE - I have since upgraded to Catalyst 12.6 and have not experienced this again so far...so if you're looking through old reports, ignore that!