Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2012-07-22

(2012-07-17, 00:42)Wanilton Wrote: @pkscuot, thanks for info, there are many artists with more 50 albums, it´s normal...about off-line mode, my goal not is download image, but show images, but your script only work for us, if running one song first, imagine this situation i have artists, if press button info artist or info album, don´t show discography image, only work (show images) if first run one song (playlist) work very well, maybe more clear now for you.
Understand your explanation about API about years, fine,

First, I fixed the issue with the 50th album information not being cleared out. There's an updated version here you can test. I'm going to wait at least a few days before sending in another pull request, as I don't like to do lots of pull requests in a short period of time.

As for the issue above, I see what you are trying to do. Unfortunately, Artist Slideshow is designed to work based on the playing song, and it would be a major undertaking to rewrite it to do something different. That said, there is a potential work around. As of Artist Slideshow 1.3, external scripts can call Artist Slideshow and pass in information about an artist to use in a skin. If your skin ran a script that passed in the artist name, that would trick Artist Slideshow into downloading images (and artist information) even if there is no song playing. There is information on the wiki page about that, and I know XSqueeze is using this feature. Whether it can be adapted to what you are trying to do with the skin isn't clear to me, but it's the best option I have for you.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Wanilton - 2012-07-22

@pkscuot, thanks for fix 50th album, work great now.

Wanilton

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Hetoft - 2012-07-26

Ah, nice to see that you updated this brilliant little addon. THANK YOU!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Lockos - 2012-07-31

@pkscout : this addon is really cool, I use it with the outstanding MQ4 but I wanted to talk about the discography feature.

Sometimes you get pictures for another wrong artist. For instance, if I press "i" when listening to "Aaron", i get album pictures for the right artist (that is to say the band named "Aaron") but also album pictures of "Aaron Eckhart". Rolleyes )

In addition, sometimes you have double or triple album pictures for the same album, so it is not very representative of the real discography Sad

I don't get the interest of gathering pictures of a wrong artist or double album covers (just because the scrapping is automatic and does not see the difference between "Queen" and "The good, the bad and the queen" for instance)

So my question is : for the discography feature, can we manually put album pictures in a specific folder so that we can personnaly chose the right ones for display ( I mean in the same way that we can create an extrafanart folder for artist slideshows) instead of using Last.fm or HT backdrops scrapers ?

In other words, can we set up some kind of "extrafanart folder" for discography 50 albumes display ?

I'm not talking about slideshow feature which works great, but only discography feature.

I already discussed that point with Wanilton, and I wanted to know if you have some kind of answer to bring to us about this issue !

Thank you very much for your answers Wink

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Hetoft - 2012-07-31

So, upon further testing I see that this is 99 % as good as it gets for me.

However, there is one (perhaps small) thing...

When you set it to use "both local and remote" images (that's how I like it, cus I have a lot of downloaded fanart locally), at first it shows a local image (if you have one), and then it goes on to display either a black background (or the "progress image" if you've set one), even if you have multiple local images of the same artist.

So, my question is: Would it be possible to make it so that it WAITS to try to display remote images (or the progress image) UNTIL one is fully downloaded? That way, you won't have an interruption in the slideshow if you, like me, use both external and local fanart. So that, if you use both local and remote, the progress image simply doesn't show (if both local and remote images exist, that is).

I hope you understand my question. It's a bit hard to explain! Smile

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Hetoft - 2012-07-31

Oh, and another thing I noticed...

Artist Slideshow works perfectly with the Spotimc (Spotify) plugin as well. However, it ONLY works if you first go play some local music (from XBMC's music library), let it download an image, and then enter Spotimc.

If you don't do that and just go straight to Spotimc after opening XBMC, it simply displays a black background and continues to do so, no matter which track or artist you play.

Not sure if this is an issue with Artist Downloader or Spotimc, but just thought I'd let you know!

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2012-07-31

(2012-07-31, 12:38)Lockos Wrote: Sometimes you get pictures for another wrong artist. For instance, if I press "i" when listening to "Aaron", i get album pictures for the right artist (that is to say the band named "Aaron") but also album pictures of "Aaron Eckhart". Rolleyes )

[snip]

I don't get the interest of gathering pictures of a wrong artist or double album covers (just because the scrapping is automatic and does not see the difference between "Queen" and "The good, the bad and the queen" for instance)

So my question is : for the discography feature, can we manually put album pictures in a specific folder so that we can personnaly chose the right ones for display ( I mean in the same way that we can create an extrafanart folder for artist slideshows) instead of using Last.fm or HT backdrops scrapers ?

Yea, I've noticed that. The Last.FM search is kind of fuzzy, and I don't think there is any easy way to fix the search to be more specific. Here's what I'm thinking about to allow local override:
  • have another folder called discography at the same level as extrafanart
  • images would be named using the convention number.name.ext (i.e. 1.Cold Spring Harbor.jpg) - this would allow you to order them how you want.
  • you could also put a file in that directory called bio.nfo if you want a custom bio as well.
  • Artist Slideshow would default to use the override if available, otherwise it would look for discography as usual. Because of the way the Last.FM search is done, I don't think it's reasonable (or desirable) to try and let users combined the two.

Thoughts?

(2012-07-31, 13:50)Hetoft Wrote: So, my question is: Would it be possible to make it so that it WAITS to try to display remote images (or the progress image) UNTIL one is fully downloaded? That way, you won't have an interruption in the slideshow if you, like me, use both external and local fanart. So that, if you use both local and remote, the progress image simply doesn't show (if both local and remote images exist, that is).

It is not suppose to ever show the blank image if there is any local artwork. I'll take a look at that.

(2012-07-31, 14:08)Hetoft Wrote: Artist Slideshow works perfectly with the Spotimc (Spotify) plugin as well. However, it ONLY works if you first go play some local music (from XBMC's music library), let it download an image, and then enter Spotimc.

I don't have a Spotify account, but if I can get a free one I'll see if I can get it setup and test on my end.

Hanks for the replies.

Pretty sure the Spotimc addon only works with Premium accounts though. But I could lend you my account if you want?

Or, perhaps, just post two debug logs with the issues I'm experiencing. Would that be helpful to you?

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2012-07-31

(2012-07-31, 20:18)Hetoft Wrote: Pretty sure the Spotimc addon only works with Premium accounts though. But I could lend you my account if you want?

Or, perhaps, just post two debug logs with the issues I'm experiencing. Would that be helpful to you?

Let's do that. Post the debug logs and I'll see what I can figure out.

Cool. Here's the first debug log - of me opening XBMC, browsing my music, playing first Macy Gray and then Mos Def. Both times the same thing happens: a local image appears for around 5 seconds, and then it goes on to display the progress image for maybe 10 seconds, until the first remote image is downloaded. From that point on, it works as it should and doesn't display the progress image again.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5927

I'm using XBMC Eden with Aeon Nox 3.0.1. Also tried with a recent nightly. Using latest Artist Slideshow available from the official XBMC repo.
These are my Artist Slideshow settings. In the "Background" folder I have one 1920x1080 JPEG image.

Code:
<settings>
    <setting id="artistinfo" value="true" />
    <setting id="fallback_path" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\portable_data\userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\background\" />
    <setting id="fanart_folder" value="" />
    <setting id="hd_aspect_only" value="false" />
    <setting id="htbackdrops" value="true" />
    <setting id="language" value="11" />
    <setting id="lastfm" value="true" />
    <setting id="local_artist_path" value="C:\hetoft-hdd\Music\" />
    <setting id="max_cache_size" value="4096" />
    <setting id="minheight" value="0" />
    <setting id="minwidth" value="700" />
    <setting id="priority" value="2" />
    <setting id="progress_path" value="C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\portable_data\userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\background\" />
    <setting id="restrict_cache" value="false" />
    <setting id="show_progress" value="true" />
    <setting id="slideshow_path" value="" />
</settings>

And here's the debug log with the other problem I described about Spotimc/Spotify.

What I did this time was to open XBMC, let it initialize everything properly, enter Spotimc, selecting "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan and going to the "Now Playing" screen, where Artist Slideshow is supposed to be. However, the background is just all black. I let it play for 1 minute just to make sure that it wasn't loading any pictures.

I then quit Spotimc, went into my local music library, played a random song with Jack Johnson, went to Now Playing and let the slideshow begin. I then stopped the track, went back into Spotimc and played the same Bob Dylan track. Now all of a sudden, the slideshow works as it's supposed to. So, you HAVE to play a local track first before entering Spotimc in order for the Artist Slideshow to work.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5930

I hope some of this is helpful. Smile Like I said, these are my only issues with this otherwise brilliant little addon.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - mikebzh44 - 2012-08-01

Hello.

Here is French strings.xml

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5957

For addon.xml :

Code:
<summary lang="fr">Télécharger les images et les informations additionnelles de l'artiste en cours de lecture</summary>
<description lang="fr">Cett addon permet de télécharger les images et les informations additionnelles depuis Last.FM et htbackdrops.com de l'artiste en cours de lecture. Les images, ainsi que les images locales, et les informations peuvent être utilisées par le thème pour créer un diaporama pour l'artiste que vous êtes en train d'écouter.</description>

Now my questions Big Grin

Does your addon can be called from the skin in daemon mode without having song played.

I have found in the wiki how to start script.artistslideshow in daemon mode :
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Artist_Slideshow#Accessing_Script_from_Other_Screens

And your script can be called from another addon :
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:Artist_Slideshow#How_to_call_this_addon_from_another_addon

But can I call it directly from the skin ? Or do I have to write an addon/script to call your addon/script ?

For example, at skin init, I start your script in daemon mode.
When I enter a specific window (artist information window for example), I want to start slideshow, so if I set up property CURRENTARTIST to my windows and use :
Code:
<onload>RunScript(script.artistslideshow,windowid=WINDOW_ID&artistfield=CURRENTARTIST)</onload>
and define multimage object in my window, slideshow will work ?

And when exiting artist info window, I just have to set CURRENTARTIST to blank ?

I'm a newbie in skin modding so before losing my hear scratching my head because it doesn't work, I ask if it's possible Big Grin

Thanks.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Lockos - 2012-08-01

(2012-07-31, 20:05)pkscuot Wrote:
(2012-07-31, 12:38)Lockos Wrote: Sometimes you get pictures for another wrong artist. For instance, if I press "i" when listening to "Aaron", i get album pictures for the right artist (that is to say the band named "Aaron") but also album pictures of "Aaron Eckhart". Rolleyes )

[snip]

Yea, I've noticed that. The Last.FM search is kind of fuzzy, and I don't think there is any easy way to fix the search to be more specific. Here's what I'm thinking about to allow local override:
  • have another folder called discography at the same level as extrafanart
  • images would be named using the convention number.name.ext (i.e. 1.Cold Spring Harbor.jpg) - this would allow you to order them how you want.
  • you could also put a file in that directory called bio.nfo if you want a custom bio as well.
  • Artist Slideshow would default to use the override if available, otherwise it would look for discography as usual. Because of the way the Last.FM search is done, I don't think it's reasonable (or desirable) to try and let users combined the two.

Thoughts?

@pkscuot : Your addon (and Ronnie's Angel ) would be just perfect if you could allow this. Is it in the changelog of next version ? Big Grin

I don't know what other users think about that, but for me, an easy way to make it work all together locally (with homepage slideshow) would be :

- What already exists, that is to say a local folder at artist level called "extrafanart" with fanart.jpg, fanart2.jpg, fanart3.jpg....for artists slideshow.

- A local folder at albums level (or at the same level as extrafanart if it is what you wanted) called "discography" with album, album2.jpg, album3.jpg...for artist's discography pictures

- An easy way to create simple nfos manually for "similar artists" and "bio" information (this would avoid having nfos full of http jpg adresses for pictures). Those nfo's could be placed in the artist or album folders too.

This is just some thoughts as you asked for it but if someone has other / better ideas... Wink

Anyway I am really liking the idea of a local override for discography Wink

Keep up the good work !

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - mikebzh44 - 2012-08-01

Make some tests.

First, I start script in daemon mode in Home.xml :

Code:
<onload>XBMC.RunScript(script.artistslideshow,daemon=True)</onload>

And in DialogAlbumInfo, I set up properties and call script :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<window id="2001">
    <onload>SetProperty("CURRENTARTIST","$INFO[ListItem.Artist]")</onload>
    <onload>SetProperty("ArtistSlideshow.ExternalCall", "True")</onload>
    <onload>XBMC.RunScript(script.artistslideshow,windowid=12001&artistfield=CURRENTARTIST)</onload>
    <onunload>clearProperty("ArtistSlideshow.ExternalCall")</onunload>

I think that properties are well set up :

[code]
11:43:42 T:1600   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating SetProperty("CURRENTARTIST","$INFO[ListItem.Artist]")
11:43:42 T:1600   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To SetProperty("CURRENTARTIST","Adele")
11:43:42 T:1600   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating SetProperty("ArtistSlideshow.ExternalCall", "True")
11:43:42 T:1600   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To SetProperty("ArtistSlideshow.ExternalCall", "True")
11:43:42 T:1600   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating XBMC.RunScript(script.artistslideshow,windowid=12001&artistfield=CURRENTARTIST)
11:43:42 T:1600   DEBUG: CApplication::ExecuteXBMCAction : To XBMC.RunScript(script.artistslideshow,windowid=12001&artistfield=CURRENTARTIST)

and script get it but with an error :
Code:
11:43:42 T:3632   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: script version 1.4.1 started
11:43:42 T:3632   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: window id is set to 12001
11:43:42 T:3632   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: artist field is set to CURRENTARTIST
11:43:42 T:3632   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: language = en
13:16:43 T:1348   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: external call is set to True
13:16:43 T:1348   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: first song started
13:16:43 T:1348   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: current artist is U2
13:16:43 T:1348   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: start download
13:16:43 T:1348   DEBUG: script.artistslideshow: cachedir = C:\Documents and Settings\mibertho\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.artistslideshow\ArtistSlideshow\3b8e138f\
13:16:43 T:1348    INFO: -->Python script returned the following error<--
13:16:43 T:1348   ERROR: Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>
13:16:43 T:1348   ERROR: Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 42: ordinal not in range(128)
13:16:44 T:1348   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Documents and Settings\mibertho\Application Data\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 668, in <module>
                                                slideshow = Main()
                                              File "C:\Documents and Settings\mibertho\Application Data\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 132, in __init__
                                                self._use_correct_artwork()
                                              File "C:\Documents and Settings\mibertho\Application Data\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 183, in _use_correct_artwork
                                                self._start_download()
                                              File "C:\Documents and Settings\mibertho\Application Data\XBMC\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py", line 323, in _start_download
                                                xbmc.executebuiltin('XBMC.Notification("' + __language__(30300) + '", "' + __language__(30301) + '", 10000, ' + __addonicon__ + ')')
                                            UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 42: ordinal not in range(128)

Error is due to accented characters in French :

Code:
<string id="30301">Téléchargement de la première image de l'artiste</string>

No error with

Code:
<string id="30301">Telechargement de la premiere image de l'artiste</string>

Because of accented characters, you need to UTF8 encode strings :

Code:
xbmc.executebuiltin('XBMC.Notification("' + __language__(30300).encode("utf8") + '", "' + __language__(30301).encode("utf8") + '", 10000, ' + __addonicon__ + ')')