Kodi Community Forum
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration) (/showthread.php?tid=124880)

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-01-05

(2013-01-05, 05:22)msfc Wrote: Why can't AS be properly integrated with Confluence, e.g. as a visualization add-on? It took me months after I first installed it to realize that I needed to install modified skin files in order for it to work. That I have to keep manually doing this after XBMC upgrades is a PITA. It is a visualization choice and should appear in the visualization selection menu along with ProjectM etc.

Visualizations are a completely different beast. I actually looked at writing one, but I believe they have to be written in something like C++ and compiled for every platform. That was well outside my abilities. When I found AS it was already a mature plugin, so I volunteered to take over the maintenance and add new features. Most folks do one of two things. They either use a skin that has AS support built in or make a copy of the Confluence skin, modify it (including changing the name and ID of the skin in addon.xml), and then don't have to worry every time XBMC is upgraded.

Quote:At a bare minimum, when AS is installed it needs to tell the user of need to manually install these customized skin files.

I will look to see what it would take to do that. I know the Hulu plugin posts a prompt after every upgrade of the plugin, so I might be able to adapt that.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - malacai - 2013-01-08

hey.
i have tryed to get this to work, but i cant.. downloaded latest addon from repo. but this addon maby dont work on frodo candidate 3`? .. i tested with Confluence with the files swapped, and AEON MQ4..
any suggestions?

Yes.. my mistake... dident know it was the Appdata/... that needed the 'edited files'

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - Kib - 2013-01-10

A possible solution for pkscuot:

It is also possible to have an addon patch skin files at startup.
I know of at least one addon that does this (SpotiMC) in order to work in (almost) every skin.
The patching is detected / done on every addon startup so if the skin updates it will just be patched again when necessary.
I can't help you with the code myself, but you might be able to use a similar approach.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-01-10

Thanks for the link, but I have absolutely no desire to have the addon modify somebody's skin. I've done some custom mods to Confluence, and I would be royally pissed if some addon just started modifying my skin without my permission.

It is unfortunate that the default XBMC skin doesn't have support for Artist Slideshow, but I can respect the decision to keep the default skin relatively straight forward. The required mod is very simple once you know about it, so I'm going to look at options that will better educate the user about what needs to be done. Plus there are a number of skins that do support Artist Slideshow natively. So there are plenty of options that work well now that don't require the addon to try and modify the skin.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - bossanova808 - 2013-01-10

XSqueeze uses a runtoken approach for messages with each new version...just as another example to look at...

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-01-11

(2013-01-10, 11:45)bossanova808 Wrote: XSqueeze uses a runtoken approach for messages with each new version...just as another example to look at...

Yea, yours is on my list to look at. The trick is trying to figure out where to put a message. If the skin doesn't support AS, it won't ever run unless you try and run it manually, so you'd never see the message. I'm thinking about another tab in the preferences labeled as SKIN SUPPORT that will have a message there.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - msfc - 2013-01-12

(2013-01-05, 06:16)pkscuot Wrote: Visualizations are a completely different beast. I actually looked at writing one, but I believe they have to be written in something like C++ and compiled for every platform. That was well outside my abilities. When I found AS it was already a mature plugin, so I volunteered to take over the maintenance and add new features. Most folks do one of two things. They either use a skin that has AS support built in or make a copy of the Confluence skin, modify it (including changing the name and ID of the skin in addon.xml), and then don't have to worry every time XBMC is upgraded.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible to get the Confluence skin modified to support AS?

Is it possible to put the modified fies into my userdata directory instead of the XBMC installation folder? If so, how?

There is a bug with AS in Frodo. In Eden to see AS I would select "Visualisation: None". If I selected another visualization I would see that visualization. In Frodo I see AS overlaid over the selected visualisation. I don't like this for 2 reasons: (1) there are times when I would just like to have one of the other visualisations; (2) I was hoping, perhaps incorrectly, that AS would be inactive and not fetching images and bios when another visualisation was running. [There are times when I would prefer not to be broadcasting to the internet what songs I'm listening too.]

Quote:
Quote:At a bare minimum, when AS is installed it needs to tell the user of need to manually install these customized skin files.

I will look to see what it would take to do that. I know the Hulu plugin posts a prompt after every upgrade of the plugin, so I might be able to adapt that.
It is upgrades of XBMC that are more often the problem. Anyway all I am proposing is that you put some text on the information screen that is shown when you browse or install the plug-in that informs users that if they use Confluence they need to download and install some files and give a link to those files. Umm, can't the add-on installer automatically install the files?

Where can I find the Hulu plugin? I did not find it in the add-ons listed in the standard repository browsed from XBMC/Frodo.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-01-13

(2013-01-12, 09:34)msfc Wrote: I see. Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible to get the Confluence skin modified to support AS?
That's up to the XBMC folks, and the skin is feature frozen for Frodo, so it would likely have to wait until the next major release.

Quote:Is it possible to put the modified fies into my userdata directory instead of the XBMC installation folder? If so, how?
I've added information to the wiki page on that.

Quote:There is a bug with AS in Frodo. In Eden to see AS I would select "Visualisation: None". If I selected another visualization I would see that visualization. In Frodo I see AS overlaid over the selected visualisation. I don't like this for 2 reasons: (1) there are times when I would just like to have one of the other visualisations; (2) I was hoping, perhaps incorrectly, that AS would be inactive and not fetching images and bios when another visualisation was running.
That's not a bug. It's a change in behavior with Frodo. Artist Slideshow uses the built-in functions for displaying a folder of images, so there is nothing I can do about that. Also, once you install Artist Slideshow and make the skin modifications, it runs anytime you use fullscreen mode when listening to music. So in Eden even though the visualization was hiding AS, it was still running in the background and downloading images.

Quote:Where can I find the Hulu plugin? I did not find it in the add-ons listed in the standard repository browsed from XBMC/Frodo.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121023

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - msfc - 2013-01-13

(2013-01-13, 03:55)pkscuot Wrote:
Quote:Is it possible to put the modified fies into my userdata directory instead of the XBMC installation folder? If so, how?
I've added information to the wiki page on that.
The information seems inadequate and confusing. It says use the files from the zip to overwrite the files in the userdata directory but (a) the userdata directory does not contain the 2 files contained in the zip file and (b) in regard to creating a custom skin it says "go to the directory above (userdata) and find the skin.confluence folder." There is no such folder.

If I put the files in special://xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/ then AS works but that is the root of the xbmc installation, requires sudo and the files are overwritten when xbmc is updated. I tried putting them in special://home/addons/skin.confluence/720p/ but that does not work. I tried without the 720p. That does not work either. Nor does either of special://home/userdata/addon_data/skin.confluence/{720p/,}. So where exactly should I put these files in special://home? Note, special://home/userdata is otherwise known as special://userdata and special://masterprofile.

Quote:
Quote:There is a bug with AS in Frodo. In Eden to see AS I would select "Visualisation: None". If I selected another visualization I would see that visualization. In Frodo I see AS overlaid over the selected visualisation. I don't like this for 2 reasons: (1) there are times when I would just like to have one of the other visualisations; (2) I was hoping, perhaps incorrectly, that AS would be inactive and not fetching images and bios when another visualisation was running.
That's not a bug. It's a change in behavior with Frodo. Artist Slideshow uses the built-in functions for displaying a folder of images, so there is nothing I can do about that. Also, once you install Artist Slideshow and make the skin modifications, it runs anytime you use fullscreen mode when listening to music. So in Eden even though the visualization was hiding AS, it was still running in the background and downloading images.
As far as I am concerned it is a bug. I want to be able to use the other visualizations without AS overlaid and finding the AS plug-in settings so as to disable it, is too much like hard work. I have a hard time remembering where to find them.

Quote:
Quote:Where can I find the Hulu plugin? I did not find it in the add-ons listed in the standard repository browsed from XBMC/Frodo.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121023
Thank you. I will give it a try.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - pkscout - 2013-01-13

(2013-01-13, 04:50)msfc Wrote: The information seems inadequate and confusing.
I made a couple of clarifications. It's clear you know where the folders in question are, as you reference them in your reply. If you are unable to get it to work, I'd encourage you to try the Modded Confluence Vol.2 which includes support for Artist Slideshow.

Quote:As far as I am concerned it is a bug. I want to be able to use the other visualizations without AS overlaid and finding the AS plug-in settings so as to disable it, is too much like hard work. I have a hard time remembering where to find them.
EDIT: This was an issue with the skin files I provided. I've updated them so that AS plays all the way in the background.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - ronie - 2013-01-13

(2013-01-12, 09:34)msfc Wrote: There is a bug with AS in Frodo. In Eden to see AS I would select "Visualisation: None". If I selected another visualization I would see that visualization. In Frodo I see AS overlaid over the selected visualisation. I don't like this for 2 reasons: (1) there are times when I would just like to have one of the other visualisations; (2) I was hoping, perhaps incorrectly, that AS would be inactive and not fetching images and bios when another visualisation was running.

maybe i misunderstand the issue at hand,
but isn't this because you changed the order of the visualisation and multiimage control in your .xml?

(2013-01-13, 05:19)ronie Wrote:
(2013-01-12, 09:34)msfc Wrote: There is a bug with AS in Frodo. In Eden to see AS I would select "Visualisation: None". If I selected another visualization I would see that visualization. In Frodo I see AS overlaid over the selected visualisation. I don't like this for 2 reasons: (1) there are times when I would just like to have one of the other visualisations; (2) I was hoping, perhaps incorrectly, that AS would be inactive and not fetching images and bios when another visualisation was running.

maybe i misunderstand the issue at hand,
but isn't this because you changed the order of the visualisation and multiimage control in your .xml?

Well, that's embarrassing. I had no idea I had changed the order between versions, so I just assumed it was a behavioral change with Frodo. My bad. I've updated the Frodo Confluence files so that AS now plays in the background and visualizations play on top.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - msfc - 2013-01-13

(2013-01-13, 05:07)pkscuot Wrote:
(2013-01-13, 04:50)msfc Wrote: The information seems inadequate and confusing.
I made a couple of clarifications. It's clear you know where the folders in question are, as you reference them in your reply. If you are unable to get it to work, I'd encourage you to try the Modded Confluence Vol.2 which includes support for Artist Slideshow.
The clarification states " The zip is organized by the same directory structure as the skin" but it is not. It has only 3 files in a folder called Confluence_Frodo_Artist_Slideshow_Support." However the readme.txt file does tell you the proper location to put the files. I just downloaded the zip again but it does not have the change you mention below. The files are still dated 12/25/12.

The other confusion is that special://xbmc is not the "installation userdata folder", it is the "XBMC installation root directory." Indeed that appears to be the only place where you can install the updated files and have AS work. So the answer to my original question about where in userdata or home to install the files is "Nowhere. AS doesn't work with the files in userdata or home."

Quote:
Quote:As far as I am concerned it is a bug. I want to be able to use the other visualizations without AS overlaid and finding the AS plug-in settings so as to disable it, is too much like hard work. I have a hard time remembering where to find them.
EDIT: This was an issue with the skin files I provided. I've updated them so that AS plays all the way in the background.
I'm delighted to hear it. Please post again when you have updated the .zip archive.

Thanks for all your efforts and your rapid responses.

(2013-01-13, 06:41)msfc Wrote: I'm delighted to hear it. Please post again when you have updated the .zip archive.
They are there now.

RE: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow 1.3.0 addon (with skin and addon integration) - msfc - 2013-01-14

(2013-01-13, 06:58)pkscuot Wrote:
(2013-01-13, 06:41)msfc Wrote: I'm delighted to hear it. Please post again when you have updated the .zip archive.
They are there now.

Thank you. I have got the new file. The main AS window is now at the back but the Artist Bio and other albums windows are still on the top. IIRC in Eden the artist bio was also behind other visualisations.

The instructions on the wiki still refer to userdata. I think you should change
Quote:This is probably the easiest way, but anytime you upgrade or reinstall XBMC you will have to reinstall these modifications. Go to the installation userdata folder (see this wiki page under special://xbmc for the path for your operating system). Then go to addons --> skin.confluence. Use the files from the zip to overwrite the ones in this directory. Read the README file for the correct location of the files.
to

"This is probably the easiest way, but anytime you upgrade or reinstall XBMC you will have to reinstall these modifications. Go to the XBMC installation root folder (see this wiki page under special://xbmc for the path for your operating system). Then go to addons --> skin.confluence. Use the files from the zip to overwrite the ones in this directory. Read the README file for the correct location of the files."

Note the new zip file has an additional file called "Icon^M". I think this slipped in accidentally.

I have another topic. I have several songs with multiple artists. For example one with Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. It is apparent from XBMC's library behaviour that the correct way to tag such songs is "artist a; artist b". Then the entries for each artist will show the song and when it is playing the display shows the names separated by a "/". If I use e.g. "artist a & artist b" a new artist is created with that name in the library.

With songs tagged like this, AS shows info and photos only for the first artist. It would be wonderful if it could show them for each artist. It could so so serially, perhaps displaying each artist for an equal amount of the song's time. I.e.,

time-per-artist = song time / number of artists

but if you have a long song with 2 artists, you probably don't want to wait until half the song has played before displaying the second artist. So it would be good to interleave the artists' displays in some way.