Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 (/showthread.php?tid=125232)

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - soussef24 - 2012-10-08

Hi jdembski,

Are you having any troubles switching channels outside the main channel list (the one with the channel preview), because on my end trying to switch directly using the arrows keys of my remote control, using the up/down buttons on the OSD Menu, or using the minimal channel list always ends up with XBMC hanging...

Not sure if this is particular to your addon or really a general PVR issue!

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - jdembski - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-08, 14:37)soussef24 Wrote: Hi jdembski,

Are you having any troubles switching channels outside the main channel list (the one with the channel preview), because on my end trying to switch directly using the arrows keys of my remote control, using the up/down buttons on the OSD Menu, or using the minimal channel list always ends up with XBMC hanging...

I must admit that I haven't changed channels without the main channel list yet - I will try it. But if this is really the case I doubt that this is an issue with the addon, as the API calls are the same and the addon doesn't even know whether you switched the channel by pressing a key or by navigating through the main channel list.

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - soussef24 - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-08, 15:12)jdembski Wrote:

I must admit that I haven't changed channels without the main channel list yet - I will try it. But if this is really the case I doubt that this is an issue with the addon, as the API calls are the same and the addon doesn't even know whether you switched the channel by pressing a key or by navigating through the main channel list.

Thanks for your quick reply, I also do always use the main channel list, but I wan't to make XBMC my main medium for live TV and seems everyone (wife, kids, etc...) is more keen to change channels using the UP/DOWN keys of the remote, just like they would do with an STB... Also sometimes it happens by mistake that you click some other button and it gets XBMC to hang!

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - Leatherface - 2012-10-09

Hmm crashes is back since latest changes it seems.
Tried delete whole dir and grabbed the git again for both xbmc and pvr-addons and same thing.
If i remove vuplus addon XBMC works so it's something with PVR addons again.
EDIT: nevermind i used add_vuplus repo now and that one worked. didn't notice it was removed from master.

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - jdembski - 2012-10-09

Yes, I messed up my repository so I needed to delete it and set it up again...

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - RockerC - 2012-10-09

@jdembski, can I suggest that this PVR addon be renamed to "Tuxbox Enigma PVR Client" or something similar and more generic?

Because the addon is today named "VU+ Client", many people still do not know that it also works for Dreambox and other Enigma2 set-top-boxes.

Also, can this thread topic subject then be renamed too with that new name and description summary that somehow best informs everyone that it works with Dreambox, DBox2, Vu+ set-top boxes, as well as possibly compatible with other Tuxbox / Enigma2 set-top boxes?

Better name and better descriptions = more users = more developers = a better addon for us all!

[WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - jdembski - 2012-10-09

(2012-10-09, 15:38)RockerC Wrote: @jdembski, can I suggest that this PVR addon be renamed to "Tuxbox Enigma PVR Client" or something similar and more generic?

Because the addon is today named "VU+ Client", many people still do not know that it also works for Dreambox and other Enigma2 set-top-boxes.

Also, can this thread topic subject then be renamed too with that new name and description summary that somehow best informs everyone that it works with Dreambox, DBox2, Vu+ set-top boxes, as well as possibly compatible with other Tuxbox / Enigma2 set-top boxes?

Better name and better descriptions = more users = more developers = a better addon for us all!

I already changed the name, it will be displayed as "VU+ / Enigma2" in Frodo; that is IF it is going to be added.

I'm actually very reluctant to directly mention dreambox, dream multimedia or how they are currently being called as I heard that they already sued people for it.

But if someone could indeed rename this topic to something like "VU+ / Enigma PVR Addon" then this would be very much appreciated.

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - Leatherface - 2012-10-09

(2012-10-09, 15:38)RockerC Wrote: @jdembski, can I suggest that this PVR addon be renamed to "Tuxbox Enigma PVR Client" or something similar and more generic?
This addon has nothing to do with Tuxbox and Enigma.
Old boxes with Enigma1 uses tuxbox as dist.
New boxes and some of last Enigma1 boxes uses OpenEmbedded.
Tuxbox / OpenEmbedded can be comapred to linuxdists like Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Slackware, Gentoo etc so it has nothing to do with Enigma or this addon.
This addon should be named Enigma2 PVR Client.

(2012-10-09, 15:59)jdembski Wrote: I'm actually very reluctant to directly mention dreambox, dream multimedia or how they are currently being called as I heard that they already sued people for it.
About using Enigma2 and Dreambox as name they're talking about other boxes like Vu+ using Enigma2 and violating DMM's license.
They're not allowed to use either Enigma2 or the name Enigma2.
Same with all clones that is a big problem.
You're just making a addon that supports Enigma2 and not making money with a box with their names so it's a big diffrence.

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - RockerC - 2012-10-09

(2012-10-09, 15:59)jdembski Wrote:

I already changed the name, it will be displayed as "VU+ / Enigma2" in Frodo; that is IF it is going to be added.

I'm actually very reluctant to directly mention dreambox, dream multimedia or how they are currently being called as I heard that they already sued people for it.

But if someone could indeed rename this topic to something like "VU+ / Enigma PVR Addon" then this would be very much appreciated.
If you are worried for real about getting sued then you should not have "Enigma2" in the name of your addon, (should still be ok to use it in description), because it was that name Dream Multimedia objected Satco distributing thier Vu+ set-top boxes displaying when maketing their products.

So you should not really use "Vu+", "Dreambox", or "Enigma2" since they are all copyrighted or trademark names.

I am not a lawyer, but since you are not competing with any of them, and actually helping them in a way to expand their market, I very much doubt they mind you using any of their names in the name or description, if you want to be on the safe side make up a unique name and just add "client for Dreambox/Vu+, but if you want to play it even more safe then only use their product names in the description.

(2012-10-09, 17:08)Leatherface Wrote: This addon should be named Enigma2 PVR Client.
I agree that "Enigma2 PVR Client" is a good name. Either that or a unique "XXXXX PVR client for YYYYYY and ZZZZZ" as a name, and then just use a very good description which includes all supported devices.

[WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - jdembski - 2012-10-09

Maybe I will write to an OpenEmbedded mailing list and ask whether it is OK to name it "OpenEmbedded PVR Client".

Again this plugin has nothing to do with openembedded.
Enigma2 is the GUI for boxes. OpemEmbedded is for all sorts of embedded hardware. Read more here http://www.openembedded.org
DM600PVR and DM7020 for example is using opemembedded but it won't work because they are using Enigma1 so it says less than Vu+ Addon.

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - jdembski - 2012-10-09

Hi,

I can confirm that it crashes, BUT: using a current XBMC from this morning it doesn't crash anymore. Can you confirm this?

RE: [WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - Solo0815 - 2012-10-10

Is this addon already in the sources? I want to try this on my ATV2

[WIP] PVR Client Addon for XBMC for EPG and full control of Dreambox and DBox2 - jdembski - 2012-10-10

(2012-10-10, 08:52)Solo0815 Wrote: Is this addon already in the sources? I want to try this on my ATV2

It was merged a couple of hours ago.