Kodi Community Forum
First Build, How's It Look? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: First Build, How's It Look? (/showthread.php?tid=127447)

Pages: 1 2

First Build, How's It Look? - Psyphin-X - 2012-04-01

AMD A6-3500 2.1GHz Triple Core
Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1600
Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2tb
ASRock A75M FM1
Nmediapc 2000b
Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400w
Lite-On DVD Burner
Nyxboard Remote

I already have windows 7.

I believe that is all I will need.

Am I missing anything? And would this play full 1080p mkv's?

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - YoHoJo - 2012-04-01

Would be nice if you also linked to the parts so we can see more specs.

Anyways though, looks good to me! Seems like you have every component.

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - eskro - 2012-04-01

+1 YoHoJo.
but giving it a quick look, it looks compatible.

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - Psyphin-X - 2012-04-02

AMD A6-3500 2.1GHz Triple Core CPU
Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3
Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB
ASRock A75M FM1 Mobo
nMediapc 2000b Case
Rosewill RD400 400w psu
Lite-On DVD Burner
Nyxboard Remote

Sorry should have done this in the first place. Thanks for taking a look though. Looks like i'm ordering this stuff tonight.

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - bluray - 2012-04-02

@psyphin-

You selected a good APU for HTPC. If you want 4GB of memory, it is best to get 2x2GB sticks. For PSU, I'm suggesting this one- SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V. 400W is a little too much wattage for a very low TDP APU........

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - eskro - 2012-04-02

even tho 400w is too much, it doesnt mean it'll cause trouble.
its perfectly fine...

of course, rosewill vs seasonic, i pick seasonic Tongue

(2012-04-02, 03:16)eskro Wrote: even tho 400w is too much, it doesnt mean it'll cause trouble.
its perfectly fine..
If you dissect the operation wattages and amperages, you'll know why I said 400w is overkill and even 300w is overkill. It's not going to have any problem as far operating A6-3500, but you'll dish out more bucks to have overkill PSU. I did a test at work a while ago. PSU operates more efficient at 50-65% of its rated power......

For a 65w APU, you can do the math for yourself.....Tongue

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - Psyphin-X - 2012-04-02

Alright, I went with the rosewill psu. those are cheap enough to replace later if I have to. Why would 2 2GB memory be better? I just wanted some upgradabilty in the future, so this way I could do another 4 if I wanted to use the computer for more than just a htpc.

Thanks for all the info though.

using dual ram is faster, thats why.
but i dont see an issue with a single stick either....

(2012-04-02, 19:49)Psyphin-X Wrote: Alright, I went with the rosewill psu. those are cheap enough to replace later if I have to. Why would 2 2GB memory be better? I just wanted some upgradabilty in the future, so this way I could do another 4 if I wanted to use the computer for more than just a htpc.

Thanks for all the info though.
This pair should work for your mobo- Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX.

Here is why 2 sticks are better than a single stick- dual channel memory (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX is dual channel) allows the CPU to access the memory on two different channels, enhancing the bandwidth, which equate to faster speed. For HTPC, more likely you'll never need more than 4GB......

i've yet to use more then 2GB LoL

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - Direwo - 2012-04-02

You should use a dual channel memory kit for the AMD APU's since they are severly bandwith limited with both the GPU and CPU on the same die. Don't cripple the package by only including a single RAM stick on the motherboard.

In all the GPU intensive tests ( read games ) that were ran when the APU's came out moving to faster RAM they found significant performance benefits.
Almost scaling completely with the increased RAM bandwith. Do you really want to halve that bandwith by only using 1 stick when you want to rely on the GPU to do your Video decoding just because you might want to upgrade later ?

(2012-04-02, 22:11)Direwo Wrote: You should use a dual channel memory kit for the AMD APU's since they are severly bandwith limited with both the GPU and CPU on the same die. Don't cripple the package by only including a single RAM stick on the motherboard.

In all the GPU intensive tests ( read games ) that were ran when the APU's came out moving to faster RAM they found significant performance benefits.
Almost scaling completely with the increased RAM bandwith. Do you really want to halve that bandwith by only using 1 stick when you want to rely on the GPU to do your Video decoding just because you might want to upgrade later ?
+1, I'm glad that you see it the same as me......

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - YoHoJo - 2012-04-02

People say two sticks is better than one. (faster)
So for 4GB, get two 2GB sticks.
Also the voltage on that RAM is pretty high, look for 1.5V ram (Not sure how much it matters and all, but damn I rarely see RAM with voltage that high).

Get 4GB, 1600 (or higher) Mhz with CL9 (or lower, preferable CL8).

RE: First Build, How's It Look? - eskro - 2012-04-03

dont go too crazy on ram timings...
for HTPC use, you wont even notice the difference...
CL9 is perfectly fine.
just my 2 cents...