Kodi Community Forum
Win XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Win XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor (/showthread.php?tid=127642)

XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-03

Hi all, I've recently downloaded latest Eden and bought a cheap Geforce 210 for dxva and dual monitor support. But whenever I do anything on the primary/computer screen, web browsing for example, XBMC gets minimized/disappears from the TV. Very annoying.

If I change in XBMC to use fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen then the problem gets resolved, but then I get severe tearing when watching a movie and also no sounds in the menus.

Is it my cheap Geforce 210 who is to blame, or does the problem lie within XBMC?

Thanks

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-03

A little of both. The GPU just isn't powerful enough to handle XBMC being in a window, thus you get the tearing. XBMC's fullscreen mode forces it to not play nice with any other running app. There isn't much you can do at this point except maybe a better GPU like a GT430 or maybe 2 discreet graphics cards, so one can be dedicated to XBMC.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-03

(2012-04-03, 21:21)kricker Wrote: A little of both. The GPU just isn't powerful enough to handle XBMC being in a window, thus you get the tearing. XBMC's fullscreen mode forces it to not play nice with any other running app. There isn't much you can do at this point except maybe a better GPU like a GT430 or maybe 2 discreet graphics cards, so one can be dedicated to XBMC.
Ok I see. So that basically means that most people using XBMC with a dual monitor setup are forced to run it in window mode?

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-03

Correct. If you do a bit of searching you'll see this topic more than once.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-03

(2012-04-03, 21:56)kricker Wrote: Correct. If you do a bit of searching you'll see this topic more than once.
Ok thanks. Do you happen to know any way of getting menu sounds when using window mode?

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-04

They should be there regardless of windows mode or not.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-05

(2012-04-04, 16:05)kricker Wrote: They should be there regardless of windows mode or not.
Ok, I can live with that.

Last question now, I noticed that if I disable "adjust display refresh rate to match video", in other words, running 60hz on both displays instead of 60hz + 24hz, the tearing disappears. So would it really help with a more powerful GFX?

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-05

Maybe your display doesn't support 24Hz.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-05

(2012-04-05, 03:14)kricker Wrote: Maybe your display doesn't support 24Hz.
It does and it works perfectly in true full screen. Anyway I returned the card for a GT520 instead which supposedly is even better than GT430 at DXVA http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discrete-htpc-gpus-shootout/10 but got the same problem so I give up. True fullscreen seems to be the only thing that really works. Thanks for your help!

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-05

Are you running it on the primary monitor? When you identify the monitors, they should be labeled 1 and 2. Primary is 1.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-06

(2012-04-05, 16:03)kricker Wrote: Are you running it on the primary monitor? When you identify the monitors, they should be labeled 1 and 2. Primary is 1.
The computer screen is primary, TV just have the desktop background.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-06

Make the TV primary (if that is where XBMC is running).

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-07

(2012-04-06, 17:44)kricker Wrote: Make the TV primary (if that is where XBMC is running).
TV is number 1, Computer screen is nr 2 but marked as main display. Have to have cumputer as main display otherwise the taskbar and desktop icons will end up on the TV.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - snooze - 2012-04-07

Just wanted to add that I tried the same on another TV with a firends computer which has a Radeon 6850 and a Core i7 860 and got the same problem with tearing when running fullscreen window with 24hz on the TV and 60 hz on computer screen. So it seems there is a problem with XBMC after all.

RE: XBMC on TV gets minimized when doing anything on computer monitor - kricker - 2012-04-07

In win 7 i thought there was a way to move the taskbar and icons to the secondary display.