Kodi Community Forum
Improved UPnP serving and client - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+---- Forum: GSoC (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=299)
+----- Forum: GSoC 2012 (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=161)
+----- Thread: Improved UPnP serving and client (/showthread.php?tid=127949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - alcoheca - 2012-11-05

I understand what you're saying, and have seen the blog post. What you describe is the plan, its just not what is currently possible - there needs to be a lot more thought and agreement on how to do this in the best way. I don't have that answer but have some ideas...

This is the dev forum for the existing changes, so we better end it there..

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - Skank - 2012-11-05

(2012-11-05, 20:16)alcoheca Wrote: I understand what you're saying, and have seen the blog post. What you describe is the plan, its just not what is currently possible - there needs to be a lot more thought and agreement on how to do this in the best way. I don't have that answer but have some ideas...

This is the dev forum for the existing changes, so we better end it there..

Ok thx...

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - michael7oliver - 2012-11-09

Great project alcoheca. I haven't looked into UPnP much at all until the recent blog post. Is there a listing somewhere that sets out what you've been able to achieve against what you set out to achieve in the initial post? I'm just trying to get a clearer picture of what to expect in Frodo.

Thanks for all the hard work.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - sstavross - 2012-11-09

Hi!

Alcoheca thank you very much for all the hard work your are doing in improving upnp services in XBMC. I am a fun of upnp as it is easy to set up and easy to control from my smart TV, android phone etc.
I have tested the latest xbmc-12.0-Frodo_alpha7 and the only problem(?) I have seen is this:
I have a lot of music files in flac/cue and ape/cue format. When I select from my android device a track after number 1 ( say track 2 or track 3 etc) I always get to play track number one, even if the time displayed in both my phone and xbmc is of the track I have choossen. I choose xbmc as renderer and library.
Is this a limitation of XBMC, upnp or my android upnp apk (but I have tried 2-3 of them)

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - Starstream - 2012-11-09

Here's a small report from my try out of xbmc-12.0-Frodo_alpha7 with a bunch of stuff I have access too.

* Samsung TV PS50C7000 (known as PN50C8000 in USA) - cannot play any media but they are supported, Samsung are notorious for requiring custom profiles so not too surprising, also it cannot browse the TV show Title section it errors out saying cant retrieve playlist but it can read the files area.
* LG TV LM760T - works fine.
* PS3 - works with supported formats however there is an unusual bug where some of the text on a section disappears and turns into a hyphen (see photo), it only happens at that level when you get down into your content or files it's fine.
* Xbox 360 - works fine with supported formats.
* Boxee Box - works fine.
* Popbox V8 - works fine.
* Various iOS UPnP/DLNA clients - works fine (mediaconnect seems the best of the bunch if you want to see coverart).

I have one suggestion, if possible maybe put a 'File Source' section at the top level alongside 'Music Library' & 'Video Library', you could also put in the photo and music file sources in there too. One of the complaints I've observed about UPnP/DLNA over the years is the menus you have to drill down to get to your content for people who just want quick file access and nothing more. Obviously you still have to have a files section in the sub sections for things like the Xbox which dont give you access to the top level.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - alcoheca - 2012-11-09

(2012-11-09, 14:08)Starstream Wrote: Here's a small report from my try out of xbmc-12.0-Frodo_alpha7 with a bunch of stuff I have access too.

* Samsung TV PS50C7000 (known as PN50C8000 in USA) - cannot play any media but they are supported, Samsung are notorious for requiring custom profiles so not too surprising, also it cannot browse the TV show Title section it errors out saying cant retrieve playlist but it can read the files area.
* PS3 - works with supported formats however there is an unusual bug where some of the text on a section disappears and turns into a hyphen (see photo), it only happens at that level when you get down into your content or files it's fine.
* Various iOS UPnP/DLNA clients - works fine (mediaconnect seems the best of the bunch if you want to see coverart).

I have one suggestion, if possible maybe put a 'File Source' section at the top level alongside 'Music Library' & 'Video Library', you could also put in the photo and music file sources in there too. One of the complaints I've observed about UPnP/DLNA over the years is the menus you have to drill down to get to your content for people who just want quick file access and nothing more. Obviously you still have to have a files section in the sub sections for things like the Xbox which dont give you access to the top level.

Thanks for this its really useful as I don't have any consoles to test with.

About the layout - I believe you can modify this using the XML customization feature of the library. Worth an attempt maybe?

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - alcoheca - 2012-11-10

(2012-11-09, 14:17)alcoheca Wrote:
(2012-11-09, 14:08)Starstream Wrote: Here's a small report from my try out of xbmc-12.0-Frodo_alpha7 with a bunch of stuff I have access too.

Thanks for this its really useful as I don't have any consoles to test with.

About the layout - I believe you can modify this using the XML customization feature of the library. Worth an attempt maybe?

Sorry I misread your message. The root structure is set in the code so there's no way to modify it from a user's perspective. I'll have a think about what is best - as it stands the files node is first below the video nodes so it's not really that much of a burden to browse to it. The reason there's no music files node, is the music library hasn't been updated to use the library customization feature.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - edrikk - 2012-11-11

FYI, for tracking I have opened ticket http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13526 with respect to non-video files appearing in video branch...

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - alcoheca - 2012-11-13

(2012-11-04, 14:05)bartplessers Wrote: Hi Everybody,

Just to let you know, I am really looking forward to a smooth working UPnP environment!

The greatest feature I'm missing now is UPnP search, see also "this library does not support UPnP search" at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144244
Is there a roadmap to this functionality?

hi I hope to have searching working for the next release, not enough time to get it working for this one.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - alcoheca - 2012-11-14

(2012-10-26, 09:56)alcoheca Wrote:
(2012-10-26, 01:03)alcoheca Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 23:45)sialivi Wrote: ...
BubbleUPnP on the other hand can browse those nodes just fine.
I just recreated this, it's a bug in our or Platinum's URL encoding. As our library paths can include ampersands, we need to escape them properly. For some reasons we represent an & as & when it should be &

Actually, on second thoughts, there's nothing wrong with & when it's like that, it's doubly escaped to fit into the soap envelope.

It's Skifta & the Panasonic which are misbehaving. I've just read a lot of specs and the only restriction on object IDs is that they're UTF-8 encoded, XML escaped, and no longer than 256 bytes.

They cope fine with doubly escaped ampersands in Artist names and song titles, just not in object ids.

I've contacted the Skifta developers, hopefully they'll fix this bug soon.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - Mizaki - 2012-11-14

I've just bought an LG BD670 and thought I'd try out the DLNA. It doesn't like MP3s from XBMC. Reports them as an unsupported type. These same files from USB work fine and with Serviio.

http://pastebin.com/4pfNWP2g

I couldn't really see anything in the log but I thought it was worth asking if it was LG or XBMC. I'm expecting LG as all the Andriod apps I try work without issue.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - sialivi - 2012-11-15

Played around a bit more with the BubbleUPnP Server to access XBMC over the internet, and noticed that files mode works just fine. I successfully played a movie from my XBMC server at home when I was at my parents house. So it's only library mode that result in the dreaded "Browse error".

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - sialivi - 2012-11-15

(2012-11-15, 08:21)Ruthie512 Wrote: The server is closed, so I doubt any code would trickle anywhere

What does that have to do with anything?

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - jmarshall - 2012-11-15

Just a spammer.

RE: Improved UPnP serving and client - bubbleguuum - 2012-11-15

(2012-11-15, 08:03)sialivi Wrote: Played around a bit more with the BubbleUPnP Server to access XBMC over the internet, and noticed that files mode works just fine. I successfully played a movie from my XBMC server at home when I was at my parents house. So it's only library mode that result in the dreaded "Browse error".

Hi,

I am the BubbleUpnP developer and I can explain why you get a "Browse error" browsing some folders.
XBMC sends didl items with resources containing the invalid mime-type "fanart" which makes BubbleUPnP Server
error out to the client parsing this invalid mime-type.

I've workarounded this issue in the new v0.6.3 of the server that I released today, so
you should not get this error anymore

Ideally this issue should be fixed in XBMC which should not send invented mime-types (or at the very least respect the <type>/<subtype> format).

@alcoheca: congrats for the great work enhancing UPnP in XBMC.