Kodi Community Forum
[released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for iOS Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+---- Thread: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS (/showthread.php?tid=128279)

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - rahnlys - 2013-01-22

Hi Joe,

Just got back from holidays. I am running XBMC v12 Alpha (Frodo) with a windows 7 64bit OS. I have my media stored on a NAS. This relates to a question you asked on the 1/2/2013.

Below are some screen shots that show the content but none of the files. Interestingly for music all of the artist and album details are there but when you select one of them there is no info. Likewise with the movies or tv there is no info in any of the library functions on the remote.

Thanks.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - wreckthisplace - 2013-01-22

Hey guys,

Can I get a confirmation on whether or not the remote is supposed to work with the new version of Frodo RC3? Currently mine only half works, meaning everything seems to be ok other than the navigation buttons (the arrows) and the middle button while watching a movie. When watching a movie, they don't seem to function so I can't fast forward, rewind, pause etc...

Just some insight would be much appreciated so I can stop searching a ton of threads for the answer and simply wait for an update.

If that's the case, can anyone recommend a working remote for the time being until an update for this remote is released?

Thanks!

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - Tommy Atkins - 2013-01-22

@wreckthisplace:

Frodo treats the input of Up, Down, etc. differently now, so you only can forward with the keys at the bottom of the Now-Playing-screen. This will not be fixed in an update, since it's an problem with the new XBMC api and not with the app.
Here is the ticket joe filed for this behaviour: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13464

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - wreckthisplace - 2013-01-22

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

So you're saying this won't be fixed in an update? The arrow keys and the middle button from this point on will not function while playing a movie and the way to control this now and from this point on is with the 'now playing' screen? Not a huge inconvenience. Just something new to get used to.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - kricker - 2013-01-22

You can use the ffwd and rwnd button on the remote. You do not have to go to the now playing screen. The directional keys are no longer available for skipping during playback right now. I miss these as well. Hopefully there will be a way to re-instate this at some point.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - joethefox - 2013-01-22

(2013-01-18, 22:22)Syncopation Wrote: The app says "go to system settings > network" all I see in Frodo is "system settings > internet access". Maybe that should be adjusted?

SOLVED Smile
It's System > Services > Webserver > Allow control of XBMC via HTTP (set to active)

@joethefox: Could you add that important info to the first post and adjust the info in the app itself so it matches frodo?
Thank you! I'll fix it in the next release (it's the XBMC eden path).

(2013-01-18, 23:17)LCF_R Wrote: joethefox
But I have a new idea to improove usability (logical construction of you app). May be you can move power on/off menu (hibernate, reboot and so on) [under the REMOTE CONTROL menu?

I can do that, let me just think about it a bit more.

(2013-01-19, 07:14)distracto Wrote: is it possible to sort by year in the movies section?
no at the moment, but the support for sorting filters is in the TODO list.

(2013-01-19, 21:40)Syncopation Wrote: I'm wondering where the default view for movies is. When I click on "movies" I get "No items found." But when I click the camera with the clock, I see all my movies in the order that I added them. Can someone help me out?
The camera with the clock is the recently added movies list (last 25). If you get "no items found" when clicking on movies, probably there is something wrong in the answer that the app receives from XBMC: in the past there was issues with UTF8 characters, can you try a rescrape? For Frodo - To do a full re-scrape of the faulty source :

Edit the source and change the content type to none
Accept the clean dialog
Edit the source again and set back the correct content type.

(2013-01-21, 00:10)robcrouch Wrote: this is an amazing remote thanks, just recently I have noticed that it is a little slow to respond with my Xbmc's on two MacBooks. for example scrolling through films it will be unresponsive for a split second or it may jump a few rather than just one when pressing the down arrow.

It used to work seamless so I am just wondering what could be causing this slight interference?

thanks for any help
If you scroll with the keyboard arrows everything is smooth? if yes, seems a connection issue: temporarily seems that the app looses the connection with XBMC. You can check this by using the remote control under the "now playing" view: if you loose the connection you can notice a red led saying "no connection". Check the OS firewall. Let me know.

(2013-01-21, 14:07)thebodster Wrote: @Syncopation Is xmbc running on a mac by any chance? I have this problem also connecting to the bedroom xbmc installation running on a mac mini, but I dont have the problem when connecting to the xbmc installation running in either my lounge or kitchen (both openelec on revos)
check the OSX firewall, I saw that other users have had a similar issue and it was the firewall.

(2013-01-21, 17:05)funkster Wrote: First time poster.

I've tried looking through the 87 pages of this thread and can see problems similar to mine, but not identical.

Mac mini 2012 running Eden, using a iPad 1st Gen.

Sometimes I can connect to XBMC first time and control it, other times it will take 4-5 attempts, shutting the app down, or re-searching until the app "finds" computer

Any ideas?
... and three Big Grin. Check the firewall settings.

(2013-01-22, 01:57)trauco Wrote: Hi,

Since I installed this I'm unable to use my normal Apple TV remote. I can't seem to be able to unpair the iOS app, if such a thing is possible. Any ideas?

Also, I can't access the context menus using the iOS app.

Thanks.
I think that the issues with the apple tv remote are unrelated with the app (there is no connections between the two). About the context menu: looking at this screenshot http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128279&pid=1302587#pid1302587 , try to tap and hold that button to activate the context menu.

@rahnlys, please try Frodo RC3 and rescrape your library. Frodo Alpha is a bit old and unsupported.

@TommyT, @wreckthisplace, @tommy Atkins, I'm working on a solution to have back the small/big step behaviour.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - Syncopation - 2013-01-23

(2013-01-19, 21:40)Syncopation Wrote: I'm wondering where the default view for movies is. When I click on "movies" I get "No items found." But when I click the camera with the clock, I see all my movies in the order that I added them. Can someone help me out?
Quote:The camera with the clock is the recently added movies list (last 25). If you get "no items found" when clicking on movies, probably there is something wrong in the answer that the app receives from XBMC: in the past there was issues with UTF8 characters, can you try a rescrape? For Frodo - To do a full re-scrape of the faulty source :

Edit the source and change the content type to none
Accept the clean dialog
Edit the source again and set back the correct content type.
Joe, thanks so much for trying to help me out. It's appreciated. There was another post of a user having the same problem with a mac.
see
(2013-01-21, 14:07)thebodster Wrote: @Syncopation Is xmbc running on a mac by any chance? I have this problem also connecting to the bedroom xbmc installation running on a mac mini, but I dont have the problem when connecting to the xbmc installation running in either my lounge or kitchen (both openelec on revos)
I did what you suggested. Thanks for the detailed instructions. That gave me a complete rescan of the movie section. Just recently I've had a lot of trouble with the universal scraper. Maybe that was what caused the mess initially? However the rescan using the universal scraper worked just fine.

Consider this solved. Smile

A few follow-up questions though: Can I rename movies from the remote? And can I mark movies watched from the remote?

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - thebodster - 2013-01-23

I was avoiding doing a re-scrape as I started fresh with RC3 of frodo so didnt think it was that. Will try again and see if it solves it.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - thebodster - 2013-01-23

Ok, did a re-scrape. Same problem. Doesnt get any movies when I connect to mac mini but does when using the openelec based installations.

I am using mysql for the database so I know they are using the same information.

Knock together a python script to request the information from the mac mini and can confirm that all the data is returned correctly and is valid json (check with json lint)

/shrug

Dont know what is going on, I will just use constellation for the mac mini as that works ok and will use this for the openelec installations.

Very strange. If I have time later I will do some more investigation

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - Frunktz - 2013-01-23

Hi! I've just updated my Eden v11 with Frodo (first beta, then rc3), but I always have a big problem. During the movie in Eden v11 I can forward/rewind the movie using "Remote Control" page, and the arrow keys on XbmcRemote app on IOS. With v12 I cannot use those keys, but I must use the slowly forward/rewind button..
Some tips to restore or fix that problem?

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - stricher1 - 2013-01-24

Hello joe,

I'm loving the app and i tried about 10 others out there. But, as others in thread already wrote, one feature i would request: A Folder for Favorites in start screen or nearby. Hope it's coming soon. Mostly i miss on RasPi without Monitor, just speaker connected. I've managed Favorites with radio station playlist, my wifes iTunes Playlists and my daughters fav music and tales, but can't use in app. As i'm willing browsing sub-menus and addon/playlist that deep my wife won't do that.

Thanks in advance
stricher1

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - rahnlys - 2013-01-25

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help, updated XBMC version and works perfectly!

Thanks.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - LunaPi - 2013-01-25

Great App !

Maybe a stupid question: I know the app uses JSON to communicate, but would it be possible to get an XML file (like remote.xml) into the communication chain somehow so it would be possible to remap the key presses of the virtual remote?

Thanks,
LunaPi

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - thebodster - 2013-01-28

Ok, did some more playing with the "no items found" problem.

It does indeed appear to be returning invalid json. The path to the image on certain movies that I have have badly encoded unicode.

I just did a git pull and re-compiled with the "JKParseOptionLooseUnicode" flag and it at least lets me see my movies, albeit with no cover art.

I tried a complete rebuild of my media library and stripped all the media folders back to just the video files. I guess the pathnames having "foreign" characters in them is causing the problem. Strange that constellation works though.

RE: [released] Official XBMC Remote for iOS - Frunktz - 2013-01-28

Anybody has problems with forward/backward in Frodo v12 using left/right keys?