Kodi Community Forum
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only (/showthread.php?tid=128298)

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - wingrunr21 - 2012-05-23

(2012-05-22, 18:26)furii Wrote: getting a crash when playing an mkv with a 6.1 channel flac. dts-es 6.1 works fine with the same video. this is my first time attempting to do a backtrace (based on this post here) so let me know if i royally borked it.

xbmc log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1001159/
gdb: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1001160/

ubuntu 12.04, nvidia 290.10 drivers, alsa 1.0.25

Any way you can post the file. I'd like to test it on my Gentoo box. I do not see a lot of these posted issues and the common denominator seems to be Ubuntu for a lot.

(2012-05-22, 21:18)Red_F Wrote: It looks like there is some sort of a race condition going on between several initialisation threads (as far as I can tell).

Building and running on Ubuntu 12.04, built after ./configure --disable-debug.

XBMC will randomly have audio or not. Testing by starting XBMC from the command line, opening an episode of The Big Bang Theory, stopping and exiting XBMC.

20:57 See pastebin http://pastebin.com/Z2XAYPZm, audio works fine.
20:58 See pastebin http://pastebin.com/Bj5NCcUJ, no audio.

Switching on debug logging using the settings menu will lead to successful audio every start. The extra time needed for the additional logging seems to prevent the problem from happening.... A bad thing as this means that I can not provide any detailed info. Nevertheless I hope these observations are helpful in some way.

ubuntu 12.04, Virtualbox

It looks like your AE install isn't enumerating ALSA devices at all when the audio doesn't work. Can you post a log with DEBUG turned on?

(2012-05-22, 21:53)vpiotr Wrote: Does version 302.11 of nvidia drivers fix those issues that 295.x is known to have? Anybody tried it with AE?

I never had issues with 295.x. I have not yet tried 302.11 as they aren't in my package manager yet.

(2012-05-23, 18:19)Aenima99x Wrote: Wondering if anyone can help with this one......
Ubuntu 12.04, GIT build from 5/22
I have an Nvidia GeForce GT520 video card using the 302.11 drivers, this is connected direct to my plasma via VGA (HDMI on tv is busted, don't ask)
I have to use a xorg.conf with custom modelines because the tv doesn't provide correct EDID data
I also have the nvidia card connected via hdmi to my receiver
XBMC is only recognizing the built-in Intel sound, not the HDMI. Here's the error
Quote:DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Skipping HDMI device hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 as it has no ELD data

Anyone know how to fix this?

You need to post your full XBMC log as well as aplay -l and aplay -L output.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Aenima99x - 2012-05-23

(2012-05-23, 18:32)wingrunr21 Wrote:
(2012-05-23, 18:19)Aenima99x Wrote: Wondering if anyone can help with this one......
Ubuntu 12.04, GIT build from 5/22
I have an Nvidia GeForce GT520 video card using the 302.11 drivers, this is connected direct to my plasma via VGA (HDMI on tv is busted, don't ask)
I have to use a xorg.conf with custom modelines because the tv doesn't provide correct EDID data
I also have the nvidia card connected via hdmi to my receiver
XBMC is only recognizing the built-in Intel sound, not the HDMI. Here's the error
Quote:DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Skipping HDMI device hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 as it has no ELD data

Anyone know how to fix this?

You need to post your full XBMC log as well as aplay -l and aplay -L output.
I've given up on this for the time being and gone back to Eden.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - tlanfer - 2012-05-23

I had the same issue and reverted back to eden too. But not before saving logs:
Full log: http://pastebin.com/9GCgy4Wn
Quote:tlan@tlan-htpc temp $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
tlan@tlan-htpc temp $ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
default:CARD=Intel
HDA Intel, STAC92xx Analog
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output

Hope this helps.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - furii - 2012-05-23

(2012-05-22, 18:26)furii Wrote: getting a crash when playing an mkv with a 6.1 channel flac. dts-es 6.1 works fine with the same video. this is my first time attempting to do a backtrace (based on this post here) so let me know if i royally borked it.

xbmc log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1001159/
gdb: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1001160/

ubuntu 12.04, nvidia 290.10 drivers, alsa 1.0.25

Any way you can post the file. I'd like to test it on my Gentoo box. I do not see a lot of these posted issues and the common denominator seems to be Ubuntu for a lot.

i should be able to split the mkv into something manageable later tonight. i'll shoot you a PM with the link as i'd rather not it be out for public consumption.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - furii - 2012-05-24

as a workaround for the HD audio dropouts i disabled dts-hd/truehd capable receiver in my system audio options but left the dolby/ac3, dts and lpcm options enabled. playing a movie with a truehd track resulted in pcm audio. however, when playing a movie with a dts-hd track the result was dts core audio. after further disabling dts capable receiver i did get pcm audio. gnif or wingrunr, can either of you confirm that the dts-hd track is being decoded as pcm and not the dts core?

that all said, i'm curious what the progression for the audio tracks is. ideally i think ae should decode HD audio as pcm if bitstreaming isn't available as this wouldn't result in any loss in quality. if this isn't currently how AE handles it maybe it could be changed or at least made an option.

i also noticed (what i assume is) a small bug. if i disable dolby/ac3 capable receiver the truehd option remains accessible. however if i disable the dts capable option this disables the ability to enable dts-hd. my guess is that truehd should also be disabled when dolby is.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Red_F - 2012-05-24

(2012-05-22, 21:18)Red_F Wrote: It looks like there is some sort of a race condition going on between several initialisation threads (as far as I can tell).

Building and running on Ubuntu 12.04, built after ./configure --disable-debug.

XBMC will randomly have audio or not. Testing by starting XBMC from the command line, opening an episode of The Big Bang Theory, stopping and exiting XBMC.

20:57 See pastebin http://pastebin.com/Z2XAYPZm, audio works fine.
20:58 See pastebin http://pastebin.com/Bj5NCcUJ, no audio.

Switching on debug logging using the settings menu will lead to successful audio every start. The extra time needed for the additional logging seems to prevent the problem from happening.... A bad thing as this means that I can not provide any detailed info. Nevertheless I hope these observations are helpful in some way.

ubuntu 12.04, Virtualbox

It looks like your AE install isn't enumerating ALSA devices at all when the audio doesn't work. Can you post a log with DEBUG turned on?

As I said, debug logging seems to change timing. But after a gazillion attempts, surprise, I managed to launch XBMC with debug enabled and failing audio. Here is the (verbose) debug log: http://pastebin.com/AVY74Wb7.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - robo989 - 2012-05-24

(2012-05-24, 07:07)furii Wrote: as a workaround for the HD audio dropouts i disabled dts-hd/truehd capable receiver in my system audio options but left the dolby/ac3, dts and lpcm options enabled. playing a movie with a truehd track resulted in pcm audio. however, when playing a movie with a dts-hd track the result was dts core audio. after further disabling dts capable receiver i did get pcm audio. gnif or wingrunr, can either of you confirm that the dts-hd track is being decoded as pcm and not the dts core?

that all said, i'm curious what the progression for the audio tracks is. ideally i think ae should decode HD audio as pcm if bitstreaming isn't available as this wouldn't result in any loss in quality. if this isn't currently how AE handles it maybe it could be changed or at least made an option.

i also noticed (what i assume is) a small bug. if i disable dolby/ac3 capable receiver the truehd option remains accessible. however if i disable the dts capable option this disables the ability to enable dts-hd. my guess is that truehd should also be disabled when dolby is.

No it's the core that is getting decoded to PCM. There is no free decoder for DTS-MA, there is for TrueHD, which it why you are getting what you are.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - furii - 2012-05-24

(2012-05-24, 15:57)robo989 Wrote: No it's the core that is getting decoded to PCM. There is no free decoder for DTS-MA, there is for TrueHD, which it why you are getting what you are.

well that's certainly disappointing, though not surprising. too bad 90% of blurays come with dts-hd. thanks for the info.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Aenima99x - 2012-05-25

Is anyone else having problems playing videos with mono (1.0) audio using AudioEngine? I have a very noticeable video stutter in anything that has a mono audio track. The audio does play fine however. I know the problem is specifically related to something in AE because I don't have the issue running Eden stable or using GIT compiled with the last commit before the AE merge into master.

Log here - This is a log from about a week ago, but even using git compiled yesterday, the problem is still there.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - robo989 - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-24, 16:19)furii Wrote:
(2012-05-24, 15:57)robo989 Wrote: No it's the core that is getting decoded to PCM. There is no free decoder for DTS-MA, there is for TrueHD, which it why you are getting what you are.

well that's certainly disappointing, though not surprising. too bad 90% of blurays come with dts-hd. thanks for the info.

The main aim for "audioengine" in this context is the ability to bitstream the lossless track for decoding in your receiver, nearly all receivers these days can decode TrueHD and DTS-MA even the ones at the cheaper end.

Your other option would be to use something like eac3to and convert the DTS-MA to FLAC which would give you a bit perfect audio track and mux that into an MKV with the video stream along with any subs\additional audio tracks etc.To do that is quite simple but obviously it wouldn't work for playing a bluray and you also need the Arcsoft DTS decoder that eac3to interfaces with for a bit perfect decode.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - furii - 2012-05-25

(2012-05-25, 16:44)robo989 Wrote:
(2012-05-24, 16:19)furii Wrote:

The main aim for "audioengine" in this context is the ability to bitstream the lossless track for decoding in your receiver, nearly all receivers these days can decode TrueHD and DTS-MA even the ones at the cheaper end.

Your other option would be to use something like eac3to and convert the DTS-MA to FLAC which would give you a bit perfect audio track and mux that into an MKV with the video stream along with any subs\additional audio tracks etc.To do that is quite simple but obviously it wouldn't work for playing a bluray and you also need the Arcsoft DTS decoder that eac3to interfaces with for a bit perfect decode.

oh i'm well aware. as i said in my previous post i was just attempting to work around the audio dropouts with hd audio tracks. i'm sure gnif and company will get it fixed up. i'd also be willing to bet that there are plenty of people with a non-hd audio capable receiver who wouldn't have minded being able to put off an upgrade by decoding to pcm.

as for flac, that works most of the time but i also posted that i was getting a crash with a 6.1 flac track. i've tried a few 5.1 flac tracks and those seem to work ok. after a few remuxes though i got tired of going through all that and just decided to mux the hd tracks in the hopes of someday being able to bitstream them to my receiver Smile

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - tseller - 2012-05-25

I tried AE today on my system and got mixed results. Maybe i'm doing something wrong, plz help. Here's my system:

- Intel DH67CF + Core i3 2100T (Intel HD 2000 Gfx)
- Fresh Ubuntu 12.04 32bit started with minimal install (no pulse, only alsa is installed)
- USB CEC Adapter
- Compiled XBMC from git master today with ./configure --enable-libbluray (VAAPI was automatically enabled and is working properly in XBMC, Pulse was disabled)
- Set audio ouput to HDMI, 7.1, AC3/DTS/LPCM/TrueHD/DTS-HD support
- My marantz AVR shows up as audio output and passthrough device, so selected him for both options
- "Sync playback to display" is off as well as "Adjust display refresh rate to match video"

But... When i try to play a m2ts-File with TrueHD or DTS-HD audio, i only get noise on all speakers. The AVR shows that he is playing 7.1 PCM. Normal DTS files are working fine, AC3 too. If i disable DTS-HD support, the core DTS stream plays also fine. Haven't tried more files yet, but if needed, i'll do more testing with other files/combinations.

Here is a full log. I played two TrueHD files and one DTS HD file + a little bit of seeking. Maybe someone has a clue what's going on.

http://sprunge.us/gLFD

ELD looks like this:

Code:
root@Htpc:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/eld#3.1
monitor_present         1
eld_valid               1
monitor_name            marantz-AVR
connection_type         HDMI
eld_version             [0x2] CEA-861D or below
edid_version            [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
manufacture_id          0x4935
product_id              0x19
port_id                 0x0
support_hdcp            0
support_ai              1
audio_sync_delay        0
speakers                [0x5f] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC RLC/RRC
sad_count               7
sad0_coding_type        [0x1] LPCM
sad0_channels           8
sad0_rates              [0x1ee0] 32000 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
sad0_bits               [0xe0000] 16 20 24
sad1_coding_type        [0x7] DTS
sad1_channels           6
sad1_rates              [0x6c0] 44100 48000 88200 96000
sad1_max_bitrate        1536000
sad2_coding_type        [0x2] AC-3
sad2_channels           6
sad2_rates              [0xe0] 32000 44100 48000
sad2_max_bitrate        640000
sad3_coding_type        [0xb] DTS-HD
sad3_channels           8
sad3_rates              [0x1ec0] 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
sad4_coding_type        [0xa] E-AC-3/DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus)
sad4_channels           8
sad4_rates              [0xc0] 44100 48000
sad5_coding_type        [0xc] MLP (Dolby TrueHD)
sad5_channels           6
sad5_rates              [0x1ec0] 44100 48000 88200 96000 176400 192000
sad6_coding_type        [0xc] MLP (Dolby TrueHD)
sad6_channels           8
sad6_rates              [0x6c0] 44100 48000 88200 96000

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - DDDamian - 2012-05-26

There's a patch coming in next merge window that I think will help some of these ELD issues.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Aenima99x - 2012-05-26

(2012-05-26, 05:39)DDDamian Wrote: There's a patch coming in next merge window that I think will help some of these ELD issues.

Any ideas if that might fix my issue with the mono audio (couple posts up)? Has anyone else reported something similar?

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - DDDamian - 2012-05-26

ReplayGain is now fully functional again and in master/nightlies. You'll see the new GUI settings in Settings>Music>Playback.

Changes are applied to the next track, so are not immediate. Be careful not use Pre-Amp settings too far from the default of 89dB unless you are really sure - those values are in decibels, so each 6dB doubles the volume, and excessive volume will cause clipping. You can enable avoid clipping to prevent this if your files are correctly scanned/tagged for peak values.

Enjoy!