Kodi Community Forum
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only (/showthread.php?tid=128298)

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - fiveisalive - 2012-11-14

(2012-11-14, 01:59)uNiversal Wrote: I repeat myself http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128298&pid=1236889#pid1236889

Please guys posting anything here in forums is no help developers are MIA, open reports at http://trac.xbmc.org/newticket if it doesn't exist already.

uNi

Maybe someone with permissions can modify the initial post in the thread with information to this effect, so that folks finding the thread will realize it's inoperative. Also, maybe if it's really the case that no devs are looking at this, the thread should be locked and archived.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - un1versal - 2012-11-14

There's a PR that may fix HDMI detection problems

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1779

And other AE fixes PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1548

However nothing looks like its quite ready.

My comment on devs MIA comes form a Team XBMC member at post #566 earlier in in the discussion http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128298&pid=1230891#pid1230891

I'm just trying to let ppl get some information on this which they seem to ignore or hope some other user has a solution. Either way these bugs should be reported on trac if they dont already exist.

Hope this helps.

uNi

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - thethirdnut - 2012-11-14

If AudioEngine is already rolled into Frodo then isn't this thread a moot point as well?

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Tripplesixty - 2012-11-14

(2012-11-14, 21:23)thethirdnut Wrote: If AudioEngine is already rolled into Frodo then isn't this thread a moot point as well?

So my question is similar, since audio engine changes are going to be implemented in Frodo, are we really gunna see supported HD Audio streaming in linux on intel and nvidia chipsets?

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - un1versal - 2012-11-15

Not are going to be, they already are (have been since June, HD audio is a reality now (if you use pre-frodo), frodo is about to spit out a beta release anytime now and is pretty stable.

some bugs outstading which apparently while PR's exist for some of those bugs not all are fixed.

@thirdnut

Your probably right topics like this should probably be closed as soon as frodo is out, as to if they should exist at this time, your guess is as good as mine. Wink

uNi

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Tripplesixty - 2012-11-15

uNiversal, is this knowledge you have from experimenting and reading forums? I find it hard for someone who doesn't browse the forums every day to find this information. For example, what hardware is supported, or reported to work, what software platform is required (Ubuntu / kernel version), Nvidia driver versions etc... Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, regardless I am excited about this beta and am planning my newest HTPC build centred around easy of use and HD Audio support. This just might be the key to a stable long term HTPC solution I've been looking for.

Yes knowledge I have is from posts I read (not just here), some replies I get and I also read on xbmc git development and PR's etc...

I compile xbmc myself so I need to know what's going on with the code so I dont compile a totally bummed copy.

Supported hardware is too much to list but ION gen1 (what I have) works well. Theres other topics on this matter.

Personally I do minimal Ubuntu install 12.04 precise LTS with the xbmc install script on my signature and the whole signature are fixes for many nvidia systems and some are specific to my system. + wiki which I been dabling oon fixing up some parts.

Your right you need to have some interest on what's going on and read a lot to learn something. Not everyone wants or cares to.

uNi

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - Tripplesixty - 2012-11-15

Great, well I might go ahead and give the beta a shot when it comes out, and see if I can Intel Ivy bridge working with HD audio. If it goes I will be overjoyed.

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - vicbitter - 2012-11-15

(2012-11-14, 23:50)Tripplesixty Wrote:
(2012-11-14, 21:23)thethirdnut Wrote: If AudioEngine is already rolled into Frodo then isn't this thread a moot point as well?

So my question is similar, since audio engine changes are going to be implemented in Frodo, are we really gunna see supported HD Audio streaming in linux on intel and nvidia chipsets?

HD Audio bitstreaming on Linux running with Intel and nVidia chipsets has been working for a number of months (for example, check out the OpenELEC development forums).

(2012-11-15, 01:25)uNiversal Wrote: Yes knowledge I have is from posts I read (not just here), some replies I get and I also read on xbmc git development and PR's etc...

I compile xbmc myself so I need to know what's going on with the code so I dont compile a totally bummed copy.

Supported hardware is too much to list but ION gen1 (what I have) works well. Theres other topics on this matter.

Personally I do minimal Ubuntu install 12.04 precise LTS with the xbmc install script on my signature and the whole signature are fixes for many nvidia systems and some are specific to my system. + wiki which I been dabling oon fixing up some parts.

Your right you need to have some interest on what's going on and read a lot to learn something. Not everyone wants or cares to.

uNi

Whilst the AudioEngine works on nVidia ION1 chipsets, the ION1 chipset DOES NOT support Bitstreaming. You need an ION2-based system for bitstreaming of DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.

@vicbitter

I know what my hw supports, thats not the point of that reply.

uNi

@uNi, you may know what your hardware supports... But in context of your reply to @Tripplesixty who was asking about HD audio it doesn't make sense to mention the ION1 without clarification.

Ok.

uNi

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - negge - 2012-11-15

(2012-11-15, 00:26)Tripplesixty Wrote: uNiversal, is this knowledge you have from experimenting and reading forums? I find it hard for someone who doesn't browse the forums every day to find this information. For example, what hardware is supported, or reported to work, what software platform is required (Ubuntu / kernel version), Nvidia driver versions etc... Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, regardless I am excited about this beta and am planning my newest HTPC build centred around easy of use and HD Audio support. This just might be the key to a stable long term HTPC solution I've been looking for.

All I know is that a GT520 will give you absolutely no trouble with HD audio. Every single format I've tried works nowadays (there were a few bugs in the very beginning).

RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - ChrisW - 2012-11-15

(2012-11-15, 10:21)vicbitter Wrote: @uNi, you may know what your hardware supports... But in context of your reply to @Tripplesixty who was asking about HD audio it doesn't make sense to mention the ION1 without clarification.

ION1 can't bitstream DTS HD or Dolby HD, is that correct? But those formats can be decoded in software and output as multi-channel PCM?

(2012-11-15, 13:04)ChrisW Wrote:
(2012-11-15, 10:21)vicbitter Wrote: @uNi, you may know what your hardware supports... But in context of your reply to @Tripplesixty who was asking about HD audio it doesn't make sense to mention the ION1 without clarification.

ION1 can't bitstream DTS HD or Dolby HD, is that correct? But those formats can be decoded in software and output as multi-channel PCM?

Correct, ION1 can not bitstream DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and only Dolby TrueHD can be decoded (in software) as multi-channel PCM.