Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - Dirki - 2014-07-22

Thank you, vbat99,

Sorry for asking again, but I just didn't want to miss it, if it were built in already.

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - vbat99 - 2014-07-22

(2014-07-22, 12:46)Dirki Wrote: Thank you, vbat99,

Sorry for asking again, but I just didn't want to miss it, if it were built in already.

Actually, I believe we are already geting the production country and storing this in the nfo

The Other Woman
Code:
<country>USA</country>

Lawrence of Arabia
Code:
<country>UK</country>

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - Dirki - 2014-07-22

OK, yes, the next line under the tagline, I just had a look also into such a nfo file, yes, so there you already can find it, great. But not yet in MC itself.

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - vbat99 - 2014-07-22

Why would you need to see this if it is Present in the nfo?

I can add this to the Alternative Editor, but there is limited room in the main Movie Browser tab.

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - Dirki - 2014-07-25

Quote: Quote:I have no idea how you could get around this except for how you currently are doing it. Ie: have movies on external drive loaded into XBMC Library.
At least this way, it does tell you it's not available if the drive isn't connected.

OK, so there is no way that Media Companion could show movie information of those "offline" movies / series.

I think the answer is No, but not exactly sure what your asking. If your asking the Media Companion retains a list of all movies on an external drive, but that the external drive is disconnected, then Media Companion can not read the relevant movie's nfo file, or display the artwork.

Just to make sure, I had understood it right: suppose you have 6 external hard disks you have stored your movies, series on and you want to watch a / search for a movie (you do not know where it is) with MC, then you have to plug in all of these 6 hard disks. Is that right? There is no way with MC to find out where the movie is stored before plugging in all of the drives. And you can see all of the movie, series information (of those moves, series stored on those drives) in MC only, after plugging in all of them. There is no other way. Is that right?

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - vbat99 - 2014-07-25

(2014-07-25, 10:03)Dirki Wrote:
Quote: Quote:I have no idea how you could get around this except for how you currently are doing it. Ie: have movies on external drive loaded into XBMC Library.
At least this way, it does tell you it's not available if the drive isn't connected.

OK, so there is no way that Media Companion could show movie information of those "offline" movies / series.

I think the answer is No, but not exactly sure what your asking. If your asking the Media Companion retains a list of all movies on an external drive, but that the external drive is disconnected, then Media Companion can not read the relevant movie's nfo file, or display the artwork.

Just to make sure, I had understood it right: suppose you have 6 external hard disks you have stored your movies, series on and you want to watch a / search for a movie (you do not know where it is) with MC, then you have to plug in all of these 6 hard disks. Is that right? There is no way with MC to find out where the movie is stored before plugging in all of the drives. And you can see all of the movie, series information (of those moves, series stored on those drives) in MC only, after plugging in all of them. There is no other way. Is that right?

Mostly correct.

When you add a source, ie: 1 of your 6 external HDD's and add that source to Media Companion, then MC does a refresh. Any movie not found is removed from the cache. Therefore, only showing what is currently available.

Your best bet for finding out where a particular movie is, would be to add each HDD to MC, and export the list of movies, then add the next HDD. Exporting movie list is in Media Companioin with a few different templates. If you named the exported file as per your 1 of 6 HDD's etc, you could easily browse which HDD has which movies.

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - Dirki - 2014-07-26

Thank you, vbat99.

Quote:Your best bet for finding out where a particular movie is, would be to add each HDD to MC, and export the list of movies, then add the next HDD. Exporting movie list is in Media Companioin with a few different templates. If you named the exported file as per your 1 of 6 HDD's etc, you could easily browse which HDD has which movies.
That would mean, I had to search in 6 different lists for a movie, if I understand it right. It does not seem to be possible to search those lists in MC itself.

It seems, as if the xml files MC has exported the lists to are not displayed correctly in that state in Firefox: http://i.imgur.com/flXafff.png. Obviously I have to do anything with the xml files before.

At the moment I use a file lister program, that could list all of the files of all of the HDD in one step. But it is not that convenient at all.

RE: Media Companion 3.5xx beta - vbat99 - 2014-07-26

No you won't be able to search the exported lists in Media Companion.
I'd have thought to export the 6 lists in csv, and open them in Excel (or such). In Excel you could have 6 separate tabs, or amalgamate all 6 lists into one large list, easily searchable.

Sorry, there isn't an alternative way of doing this in Media Companion. Are there other Media managers that can do this?

Quote:In Excel you could have 6 separate tabs, or amalgamate all 6 lists into one large list, easily searchable.
Yes, that is a good idea of course...but you would have a poor list only instead of a nice movie manager with images and...

Yes, there are some or many programs doing that - besides of XBMC - e.g. tMM, PVD, Ember partially, without showing the images, so there is not yet an image cache but one for the movie information obviously, if I have understood it right.

Many thanks.

If I have this right, these other managers have a sort of History of Movies that you can browse, even if the video files are not present?

I don't think that can be possible for Media Companion, as we access each movie's nfo when the movie is selected, to give Live data to the user.

Quote:If I have this right, these other managers have a sort of History of Movies that you can browse, even if the video files are not present?
I am not quite sure, but e.g. you can activate the "Image cashe" of one of those programs (other programs call it somehow different may be) and all of the movie, series information, images are stored on the internal drive or wherever the program is and you can browse all of the movies / series, as if they were on the internal drive or on a drive plugged in at the moment at least.
And XBMC stores - as far as I know, I do not have any idea of all of that - the information in a data base on the same drive. And you have to deactivate the update option to update the data base at start up otherwise all of the items on external drives not plugged in at the moment will be removed from the data base. And I know XBNE uses the data base of XBMC to show the offline videos. So you can see e.g. the path / folder / drive in a list for each video.

Quote:I don't think that can be possible for Media Companion, as we access each movie's nfo when the movie is selected, to give Live data to the user.
It would be a pity. To store videos on external drives being not plugged in all the time seems to be very common. The space on one internal drive might become to small very fast to store videos. I would assume, the content / information of those nfo files along with the images are exported or stored in a (kind of) data base with the program to make the imformation accessible always.

I can add as a Feature Request, and have some idea's on how to go about this, but it will take some time to put into Media Companion..

That would be great, yes I could imagine that will be a lot of work. Many thanks, vbat99.

Does the play option work also with XBMC: http://i.imgur.com/Muu2O99.png?

(2014-07-26, 13:15)Dirki Wrote: Does the play option work also with XBMC: http://i.imgur.com/Muu2O99.png?

No, this only plays using a local media player, ie Windows Media Player, or a custom play you have selected in settings. Not able to select XBMC to play the media.