Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - scott967 - 2013-05-02

Not sure what the requirement is, but prior to 3.5.6.2.c I had art as moviename-fanart and and moviename-poster. If I check the movie preference to save art as fanart and poster instead, the existing art using the other name convention no longer is displayed in the browser. Seems like it should still be displayed?

scott s.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-05-02

(2013-05-02, 04:39)scott967 Wrote: Not sure what the requirement is, but prior to 3.5.6.2.c I had art as moviename-fanart and and moviename-poster. If I check the movie preference to save art as fanart and poster instead, the existing art using the other name convention no longer is displayed in the browser. Seems like it should still be displayed?

scott s.

A bit muddled there, but your saying existing moviename-fanart and -poster are not displaying if New Movies? scraped in format fanart.jpg and poster.jpg?

Your wanting any variation in fanart or poster to be displayed, no matter what the saving convention is set to? How will you know if you have artwork missing??

I'll have to check how the code is working out what artwork is available, but the idea is to have consistent artwork for a user's movies, ie: all as poster.jpg/fanart.jpg or all as -poster.jpg/-fanart.jpg.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-05-02

Fix in place for next release.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - greybeard - 2013-05-02

Now that MC is not renaming my movie files, I am finding trouble with posters and fanart in tv-shows. I am running a new install of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Each series has its own folder within a folder named tv-shows. There are no season folders. Episodes are named series-nxnn-hb-di.mp4. (handbrake-deinterlaced). It seems that when I first ran 3.562b that all the art that was there showed up, but even though all of the series have folder.jpg, fanart.jpg, season-all.tbn, season01.tbn, etc., only fanart.jpg is being displayed by 3.562c, but only for some series. I have "Both" selected in the General Preferences. If I select the Poster button it displays the current season*.tbn on the right, even though the Main Browser is not showing it. If I try to D/L a new poster from TVDb All by clicking that button then selecting the poster by clicking the radio button under it, then I get a box telling me something about cannot access folder.jpg because it is open by another process (almost certainly the process that is displaying it on the right). Then if I go to another window (like this one) to check something and I go back to MC, it is frozen waiting for me to type OK in the box, but the box is buried and does not show up on the Task Bar so I have to kill it using Task Manager. I tried to OCR the screenshot of the error message but HP Solution Center is hosed right now.

Any clues?

(2013-05-02, 14:52)greybeard Wrote: Now that MC is not renaming my movie files, I am finding trouble with posters and fanart in tv-shows. I am running a new install of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Each series has its own folder within a folder named tv-shows. There are no season folders. Episodes are named series-nxnn-hb-di.mp4. (handbrake-deinterlaced). It seems that when I first ran 3.562b that all the art that was there showed up, but even though all of the series have folder.jpg, fanart.jpg, season-all.tbn, season01.tbn, etc., only fanart.jpg is being displayed by 3.562c, but only for some series. I have "Both" selected in the General Preferences. If I select the Poster button it displays the current season*.tbn on the right, even though the Main Browser is not showing it. If I try to D/L a new poster from TVDb All by clicking that button then selecting the poster by clicking the radio button under it, then I get a box telling me something about cannot access folder.jpg because it is open by another process (almost certainly the process that is displaying it on the right). Then if I go to another window (like this one) to check something and I go back to MC, it is frozen waiting for me to type OK in the box, but the box is buried and does not show up on the Task Bar so I have to kill it using Task Manager. I tried to OCR the screenshot of the error message but HP Solution Center is hosed right now.

Any clues?

IF you can get screenshots or the likes, please post an issue on media companion's codeplex site. You can attach screenshots etc with the issue.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - scott967 - 2013-05-03

(2013-05-02, 04:44)vbat99 Wrote:
(2013-05-02, 04:39)scott967 Wrote: Not sure what the requirement is, but prior to 3.5.6.2.c I had art as moviename-fanart and and moviename-poster. If I check the movie preference to save art as fanart and poster instead, the existing art using the other name convention no longer is displayed in the browser. Seems like it should still be displayed?

scott s.

A bit muddled there, but your saying existing moviename-fanart and -poster are not displaying if New Movies? scraped in format fanart.jpg and poster.jpg?

Your wanting any variation in fanart or poster to be displayed, no matter what the saving convention is set to? How will you know if you have artwork missing??

I'll have to check how the code is working out what artwork is available, but the idea is to have consistent artwork for a user's movies, ie: all as poster.jpg/fanart.jpg or all as -poster.jpg/-fanart.jpg.

All I know is I installed the new 62c build, saw now the option to either use moviename-fanart or fanart for file names when I set up the build, so I thought I would try changing the default movie-fanart to fanart (and also posters) to see what difference it would make/test. So I added my movie folder and rescanned. None of my existing movies showed any fanart or posters which I found surprising. After changing the option back, then the art was displayed. I don't know what the right answer is. It seems like the user would like to know if either moviename-fanart or fanart was available, but I can see how it could get more and more complicated. I guess if it was up to me I would propose a requirement that if any valid art is available it gets displayed in the main browser view, and the naming conventions only apply to scraping new art.

scott s.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-05-03

(2013-05-03, 02:19)scott967 Wrote:
(2013-05-02, 04:44)vbat99 Wrote:

scott s.

All I know is I installed the new 62c build, saw now the option to either use moviename-fanart or fanart for file names when I set up the build, so I thought I would try changing the default movie-fanart to fanart (and also posters) to see what difference it would make/test. So I added my movie folder and rescanned. None of my existing movies showed any fanart or posters which I found surprising. After changing the option back, then the art was displayed. I don't know what the right answer is. It seems like the user would like to know if either moviename-fanart or fanart was available, but I can see how it could get more and more complicated. I guess if it was up to me I would propose a requirement that if any valid art is available it gets displayed in the main browser view, and the naming conventions only apply to scraping new art.

scott s.

Right, there is a fix in place ready for the next release, but I need to do some other housekeeping for missing fanarts and posters to keep it in line.

I also need to disable fanart.jpg and poster.jpg if Pre-frodo is selected, as this isn't compliant for Dharma/Camelot or XBMC4XBox. Hope to have that done for next release also.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-05-03

(2013-05-03, 02:19)scott967 Wrote: All I know is I installed the new 62c build, saw now the option to either use moviename-fanart or fanart for file names when I set up the build, so I thought I would try changing the default movie-fanart to fanart (and also posters) to see what difference it would make/test. So I added my movie folder and rescanned. None of my existing movies showed any fanart or posters which I found surprising. After changing the option back, then the art was displayed. I don't know what the right answer is. It seems like the user would like to know if either moviename-fanart or fanart was available, but I can see how it could get more and more complicated. I guess if it was up to me I would propose a requirement that if any valid art is available it gets displayed in the main browser view, and the naming conventions only apply to scraping new art.

scott s.

The biggest problem is that if someone switches from Pre-Frodo to Frodo only, and MC displays any available artwork, then the user will not know if they are missing Frodo artwork.

The same goes for if a user changes to saving as poster.jpg and fanart.jpg, then by rights, MC should only display this artwork, that way the user knows what is missing, and missing posters and missing fanart etc function as they should.

So really need to have specific rules in place for this, and I'm afraid it's gonna have to be strictly what is selected in preferences gets displayed.

Now, even harder is what is displayed if "both" artwork mode is selected. By rights we need to indicate to the user that Pre or Frodo is missing, that way the user can tell their files are catering for "Both" artwork styles. That is on my To Do List.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - Livin - 2013-05-04

I think people should stick with one artwork method. Ideally, MC would have a 'cleanup' function that would allow the user to choose to delete the unused files - e.g. the files from the method not chosen. I'm moving everything to Frodo and really don't want to manually delete all the pre-Frodo files by hand.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - greybeard - 2013-05-04

Please continue to support compatibility between Eden and later releases as long as possible. I have an AppleTV2 that I am not sure I can update because I never got it backed up.

I wish the way the art is tiled in "Main Browser" was user configurable because my TV folder.jpg's are almost all banners and I would like to see them in the banner location while using artwork = pre-frodo, but I also have some season*.jpg files that are banners. If I could specify where folder.jpg, fanart.jpg and season.tbn are displayed on the right screen in "Main Browser" if artwork=pre-frodo, then I could rationalize my filenaming in a pre-frodo setup. If artwork=frodo then the now hardcoded arrangement works with fanart and folder on top and banner beneath.

I agree that it is better to have uniquely named banners, posters, fanart, etc., but for those of us who have years old collections of thousands of movies and tv episodes, flexibility is a good thing. ARPANet/Internet got where it was in the '90s by following a philosophy of flexibility in accepting documents into programs.

As far as doing large scale renaming and deleting go, I have UNIX tools for Windows 7 installed and that gives very powerful scripting using ksh or csh.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-05-05

(2013-05-04, 17:40)greybeard Wrote: Please continue to support compatibility between Eden and later releases as long as possible. I have an AppleTV2 that I am not sure I can update because I never got it backed up.

I wish the way the art is tiled in "Main Browser" was user configurable because my TV folder.jpg's are almost all banners and I would like to see them in the banner location while using artwork = pre-frodo, but I also have some season*.jpg files that are banners. If I could specify where folder.jpg, fanart.jpg and season.tbn are displayed on the right screen in "Main Browser" if artwork=pre-frodo, then I could rationalize my filenaming in a pre-frodo setup. If artwork=frodo then the now hardcoded arrangement works with fanart and folder on top and banner beneath.

I agree that it is better to have uniquely named banners, posters, fanart, etc., but for those of us who have years old collections of thousands of movies and tv episodes, flexibility is a good thing. ARPANet/Internet got where it was in the '90s by following a philosophy of flexibility in accepting documents into programs.

As far as doing large scale renaming and deleting go, I have UNIX tools for Windows 7 installed and that gives very powerful scripting using ksh or csh.

Request on Codeplex as a new feature/

(2013-05-04, 08:37)Livin Wrote: I think people should stick with one artwork method. Ideally, MC would have a 'cleanup' function that would allow the user to choose to delete the unused files - e.g. the files from the method not chosen. I'm moving everything to Frodo and really don't want to manually delete all the pre-Frodo files by hand.

Request as a new feature on codeplex.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - swehawk - 2013-05-05

(2013-05-04, 08:37)Livin Wrote: I think people should stick with one artwork method. Ideally, MC would have a 'cleanup' function that would allow the user to choose to delete the unused files - e.g. the files from the method not chosen. I'm moving everything to Frodo and really don't want to manually delete all the pre-Frodo files by hand.

Wouldn't you rather want to reuse your existing artwork by renaming your files? Ideally MC would have an option to do that for you, although there are several other ways to do that manually or semi-automatically.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - trogggy - 2013-05-05

(2013-05-05, 11:34)swehawk Wrote: Wouldn't you rather want to reuse your existing artwork by renaming your files? Ideally MC would have an option to do that for you, although there are several other ways to do that manually or semi-automatically.
An ideal situation would be to have the option in MC to either re-name existing artwork, copy existing artwork and re-name but keep the original, or delete pre-frodo artwork (if you've already taken the second option in the past).
That way anybody still using (pre-)Eden or xbox can scrape for (post-)Frodo and their older builds, and delete un-needed files when (if) they move on.
As for me, I'll take whatever the devs dish out and be glad to have it - I love this program!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - swehawk - 2013-05-05

Just registred at the MC CodePlex site and realized that it not only has an issue tracker but a discussion forum as well! Now, why would you keep 2 forums going? Why not lock this forum thread for new posts and only keep it to post info on new releases in 1st post containing a link to the CodePlex site? It would certainly make it easier to keep up with what's going on with MC!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - greybeard - 2013-05-05

This is to vbat99:

I keep trying to add a comment and attack a file to issue #932 or #924 (I believe) on codeplex, but when I click "Submit" I get a prompt about leaving or staying on page and I say stay and the "working" message stays up as long as overnight.