Kodi Community Forum
Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Media Companion 3 beta's - Now with Music Video support (/showthread.php?tid=129134)

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-09-22

(2013-09-22, 08:16)TH3 M0L3 Wrote:
(2012-04-18, 08:40)guyonphone Wrote: I know this is a long shot, but is there any possible way you may think about adding a music section to media companion, that would scrape band pics, and album art from last.fm or all music?

My opinion of this is that MC is an awesome program which handles Movie and TV scraping excellently. Yes there are a few minor bugs, but these always get resolved. I think it's important to let the devs of MC do what they do best and that's to concentrate on what they're already doing.

There are many other programs / freeware which are perfectly capable of tagging music correctly.
I for one will probably not use the music functionality if / when it gets introduced to MC purely because I'm comfortable with what I already use.

1. Music brains Picard - To identify and tag
2. Mp3Tag - To sort tags and artwork

Have a look at this thread for what I did.

Keep it up guys. MC is awesome!

It was always a thought of adding music library to Media companion, but we've never really gotten there. That, and as TH3 M0L3 mentioned above, there is software available that can do the job. so, um, why re-invent the wheel....so to speak.

It may still happen, but personally, I'd rather see the all present issues resolved, and current requests added to MC.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - TH3 M0L3 - 2013-09-22

Quote:It may still happen, but personally, I'd rather see the all present issues resolved, and current requests added to MC.

+1 for that!

If the musicbrainz database is used to identify and tag files then that'd be a deal maker for me because.

It would be great to have just one program to manage my media, but I'm not holding my breath for the release as I'm quite happy with what I use ATM.

Keep it up devs.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - McButton - 2013-09-23

(2013-09-22, 08:07)vbat99 Wrote:
(2013-09-22, 07:25)McButton Wrote: Amazing. Just switched from Ember because it's unstable and only scans some things sometimes.

MC is ultra fast and works great. My only request would be to lock custom content. I have a few custom .NFO files that I'd like to keep. The only custom part is the name of the title. I use Boxee as well as XBMC, and Boxee needs 1,2,3,4 listed with my movies to signify sets. If I load a file into MC, it wipes it for the default name.

Any way to stop this from happening?

Thanks a ton!

Not sure if this is possible, but can I as you to sign in to mediacompanion site, and raise an issue, posting a sample nfo or two.

From the sounds of it, your looking to lock certain fields in an nfo, and that may not be possible. Instead, there might be a way we can incorporate code for Boxee. Can't guarantee anything, but worth a look.

Anyway, glad you've found Media Companion useful. I hope to have a new release up soon, with BD folder support, as well as enhanced renaming functions.

Nah. Boxee is dead now. I still love it, but why support it further? It's the only media box that play absolutely everything, so I have to use it.
I found that if I update movie names IN Media Companion, and rescan, it doesn't generally wipe out my info. I'd like to lock my movie from being touched after initial scan, but no biggie. I've wasted so many hours getting Ember to work, only for it to stop again at random. Media Companion definitely works better. I'll always take more options though. I can't complain with free. I'd be alright with an option that just doesn't overwrite .nfo files. There's an option to keep existing covers. I'll deal with it. Thanks!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - TH3 M0L3 - 2013-09-23

Why is "sets" not available in table view?

The tick box is greyed out for me.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-09-24

(2013-09-23, 02:56)McButton Wrote: Nah. Boxee is dead now. I still love it, but why support it further? It's the only media box that play absolutely everything, so I have to use it.
I found that if I update movie names IN Media Companion, and rescan, it doesn't generally wipe out my info. I'd like to lock my movie from being touched after initial scan, but no biggie. I've wasted so many hours getting Ember to work, only for it to stop again at random. Media Companion definitely works better. I'll always take more options though. I can't complain with free. I'd be alright with an option that just doesn't overwrite .nfo files. There's an option to keep existing covers. I'll deal with it. Thanks!

Media Companion shouldn't mess with tags in the nfo, unless they aren't compliant with XBMC, which MC is coded to.

And, unless you batch rescrape over all your movies, no nfo is loaded and re-saved without manually clicking the 'Save' button. But, the movie cache file, may show differences that are not in the nfo. What I mean is, MC read's the movies nfo, and saves some info into a moviecache.xml file. Now, there is a chance that the entries in the moviecache.xml file, might be different to what is in each movies nfo file, if the tags read are not, you guessed it, compliant with XBMC.

But, these differences won't be saved back to the movies nfo, unless 'Save' is clicked.

As for locking movies, this has been asked for once before, but is quite an undertaking to add to Media Companion.

I would still suggest logging into Media Companions site, and raising an issue/feature request, if more people vote for the Lock Movies feature, I may come around to getting serious and doing it. But right now, there's a couple of other items I need to look at.

(2013-09-23, 20:57)TH3 M0L3 Wrote: Why is "sets" not available in table view?

The tick box is greyed out for me.

I spotted that a few days ago, but was busy sorting out tableview missing artwork and some other issue a user was having......LOL.

I have to look at the code, see why someone disabled that part of Tableview. there might be something else going on as to why it was disabled.

Let ya know when I figure it out.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-09-24

OK, re-enabled sets in Movie Tableview. I can't see any reason why this was disabled, so hopefully there are no side-effects. It'll have to wait for the next release.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta Release with Frodo support - vbat99 - 2013-09-26

New Media Companion Released - MC3.578b

New Features:
Revised context menu 'Rename Movie' options.
Rename Folders added to Batch Rescraper Wizard
Blu-Ray Folder Structure Support - Now scrape your metadata for BD rips with Media Companion
(including mediainfo)

Download here

Revision History

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - Acrobat76 - 2013-09-26

Thanks for the update Smile

Can i update the program whilst retaining my database and possibly options?

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - vbat99 - 2013-09-26

(2013-09-26, 11:32)Acrobat76 Wrote: Thanks for the update Smile

I would suggest this:
Download and extract MC3.578b to a new location.

From your old install of Media Companion, copy(not cut) the settings folder to the new location, open the new settings folder and delete the file "profile.xml"

Now, open Media Companion, and close it again. This will update your old config.xml file with any new settings in the new version of Media Companion.

Open Media Companion and use as normal.

Note: If anything weird seems to occur, then you can still go back to your previous version.
If you want to start the new version of Media Companion as Fresh, delete the Settings folder and Cache folder. Then restart MC and it'll be virgin again.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - Methanoid - 2013-09-26

Thanks Vbat... Can I suggest that text is slotted into ReadMe as its good practice and gives a clean install with preserved settings. Didnt realise how much extra crap I had accumulated over the numerous over installs!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - Acrobat76 - 2013-09-26

(2013-09-26, 12:02)vbat99 Wrote:
(2013-09-26, 11:32)Acrobat76 Wrote: Thanks for the update Smile

I would suggest this:
Download and extract MC3.578b to a new location.

From your old install of Media Companion, copy(not cut) the settings folder to the new location, open the new settings folder and delete the file "profile.xml"

Now, open Media Companion, and close it again. This will update your old config.xml file with any new settings in the new version of Media Companion.

Open Media Companion and use as normal.

Note: If anything weird seems to occur, then you can still go back to your previous version.
If you want to start the new version of Media Companion as Fresh, delete the Settings folder and Cache folder. Then restart MC and it'll be virgin again.

Thanks for the walkthrough Smile

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - bobrap - 2013-09-26

Thanks for the new version. Really great new features. Tried the new renaming options and they are not working correctly. The folder rename seems ok, but, the file isn't renamed. Thanks again!

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - vbat99 - 2013-09-26

(2013-09-26, 16:40)bobrap Wrote: Thanks for the new version. Really great new features. Tried the new renaming options and they are not working correctly. The folder rename seems ok, but, the file isn't renamed. Thanks again!

If I recall correctly, if UseFoldernames is selected, then only the foldername is renamed.

If 'All movies are in folders' is selected, then folders and files are renamed.

This was to ensure I didn't piss people off if they had custom filenames, and kept the renaming within selected options.

Really sorry, hope to write up the documentation this weekend.

(2013-09-26, 12:53)Methanoid Wrote: Thanks Vbat... Can I suggest that text is slotted into ReadMe as its good practice and gives a clean install with preserved settings. Didnt realise how much extra crap I had accumulated over the numerous over installs!

This isn't really recommended practice while MC is in beta as any changes to names of settings will still screw the pooch, so it speak, but if coming from a recent release to the latest, it seems to work OK.

I'll update the documentation this weekend so the options are there, and will see about a 'ReadMe.txt' file to be with the downloaded release. Good idea anyway.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - juggy - 2013-09-30

Thanks for the great app. This is my first time using it however I have noticed some bugs/improper user settings Smile

1) Posters are not properly handled/updated (this has been reported but I think it is not yet fixed in this version) - false missing poster, wall, and affects the filters concerning posters as well (ex: filter displays lots of movies without posters but they do have)

2) XBMC link - I love this feature however I couldn't make it work properly. XBMC 12.0, library and MC 3.578 are on the same PC (WIN7 64). All setting for the XBMC Link seem to be working properly and were validated and XBMC link was enabled. However, when I tried to edit the plot for a movie and update XBMC, MC couldn't do it. I have full and brief logs if needed but basically at some point it says that "XBMC is not longer running. Jobs queue will be purged". XBMC is running and I don't understand where is the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Workaround for now is to manually refresh in XBMC for changes to appear

3) text of some of the menus/icons seem squeezed/different lines and a bit unreadable. Probably because its beta...

4) I knew that MC has integrated filters and I was looking for at least 30min to find them. It turns out that I have to resize the screen at the bottom left so that they appear so basically they were "hidden". I write this since I noticed many people where looking for those filters on google and may be had the same issue...

Hope this will help improve this great app.

Thanks in advance for your help.

RE: Media Companion Stable & Beta with BluRay Folder Support - vbat99 - 2013-09-30

(2013-09-30, 15:22)juggy Wrote: Thanks for the great app. This is my first time using it however I have noticed some bugs/improper user settings Smile

1) Posters are not properly handled/updated (this has been reported but I think it is not yet fixed in this version) - false missing poster, wall, and affects the filters concerning posters as well (ex: filter displays lots of movies without posters but they do have)

2) XBMC link - I love this feature however I couldn't make it work properly. XBMC 12.0, library and MC 3.578 are on the same PC (WIN7 64). All setting for the XBMC Link seem to be working properly and were validated and XBMC link was enabled. However, when I tried to edit the plot for a movie and update XBMC, MC couldn't do it. I have full and brief logs if needed but basically at some point it says that "XBMC is not longer running. Jobs queue will be purged". XBMC is running and I don't understand where is the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Workaround for now is to manually refresh in XBMC for changes to appear

3) text of some of the menus/icons seem squeezed/different lines and a bit unreadable. Probably because its beta...

4) I knew that MC has integrated filters and I was looking for at least 30min to find them. It turns out that I have to resize the screen at the bottom left so that they appear so basically they were "hidden". I write this since I noticed many people where looking for those filters on google and may be had the same issue...

Hope this will help improve this great app.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi and thanks for the feedback.

I will try and answer your points as best as possible, but without knowing your setup, if you upgraded overtop of an existing release, or what your previous release was etc, these may make it more interesting to resolve.

1. Posters - false missing, wall and filters. I'll look into this for Pre Frodo, Frodo and onwards.

2. Only issue I had with XBMC link was ensuring XBMC was set correctly under systems settings, as well as, once MC was configured, close MC and re-open it. Seems MC needed a restart before it would successfully talk to XBMC.

3. This will depend on your PC's DPI settings. Currently MC doesn't cater for Higher DPI, and this is in the To Do List. RoadMap

4.If you've upgraded from an earlier build of MC without filters, ie: overwritten older version with latest version, then the filters will disappear. Simply right-clicking the bottom bar in the Movie Browser list, and select your required filters, and they reappear. You can also dbl-click the divider between movie list and filters, to make the list drop away, and come back.

Unfortunately, I am not the expert with XBMC and the dev on that part of XBMC has been busy with real-life. Hopefully another user of XBMC Link can step in and advise with any help.