Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-08-27

Version 1.5.0 Released. 

This is a release copy of the Beta version mentioned above. It includes the Advanced Editor functionality I've had requests about for a while. Since the entire addon is not yet Python 3 compatible I can't push this version to the repo yet. It uses features from Krypton+ version of Kodi and addons need to be Python 2/3 compatible to get into the Leia repo. I'll be working on this next. For those that want a manual download is available on GitHub.

[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - MB1968 - 2019-08-27

Hi Rob,

Is it possible with version 1.5.0 to set up more than 1 backup task? This is what I would like to see:
Task 1: Complete backup
Task 2: Only database folder

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-08-28

(2019-08-27, 18:39)MB1968 Wrote: Hi Rob,

Is it possible with version 1.5.0 to set up more than 1 backup task? This is what I would like to see:
Task 1: Complete backup
Task 2: Only database folder

So you're thinking within like a scheduler type function or perhaps when you select "Backup" you get a choice, task 1 or 2? 

With the advanced editor you can setup a variety of sets, the database backup would be a set within the full - correct? As an example you'd have something like: 
  1. Addons
  2. Addon Data
  3. Database
  4. Etc

So for your database only backup would it work to just be able to select a specific set you'd want to backup rather than having to do all sets? If I'm following your question right something akin to how the Restore functionality works but in reverse. With a Restore you select what sets to restore. What you'd want to do is during a Backup select which sets to backup, with one selection being "all". Does that sound like it would work ?

[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - MB1968 - 2019-08-29

Hi Rob,

A variety of sets, is what I was looking for. Including the option to do a full backup (alll sers). Compare it with a pc. Daily I only backup specific program folders. Once a month I make a full back up of my C drive.

It seems that the Advanced Editor is able to create different backup tasks/sets, so I'll definitly will test this new options the coming weeks.

I did not use the scheduler in the previous versions. But since version 1.5.0 is able to create different backup sets, I think a scheduler would be a big improvement. I would like to use the scheduler to backup the database folder on a daily basis.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-08-29

(2019-08-29, 13:22)MB1968 Wrote: Hi Rob,

A variety of sets, is what I was looking for. Including the option to do a full backup (alll sers). Compare it with a pc. Daily I only backup specific program folders. Once a month I make a full back up of my C drive.

It seems that the Advanced Editor is able to create different backup tasks/sets, so I'll definitly will test this new options the coming weeks.

I did not use the scheduler in the previous versions. But since version 1.5.0 is able to create different backup sets, I think a scheduler would be a big improvement. I would like to use the scheduler to backup the database folder on a daily basis.

Ok, based on that explanation I don't think the new version will do quite what you want....at least not yet. You can create different sets (or even overlapping sets) but the "backup" function, including the scheduler, will run through them all each time. I see what you're seeing with the daily/monthly type backups as per a "real" backup utility. I think the Advanced Editor in its current form gets us a good chunk of the way there but I'll need to add a few more features. I'll start a github issue for this so I can keep track of it. Right now I'm staring the Python 3 port so I can get 1.5.0 into the Leia repo.

[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - MB1968 - 2019-08-30

I'm glad you're willing to develop the addon in the direction I suggested. Thanks a lot. I'll visit the Github page every now and than. Good luck with upgrading the addon to Python3.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Blurayx - 2019-09-05

(2019-08-27, 15:23)robweber Wrote: Version 1.5.0 Released. 

This is a release copy of the Beta version mentioned above. It includes the Advanced Editor functionality I've had requests about for a while. Since the entire addon is not yet Python 3 compatible I can't push this version to the repo yet. It uses features from Krypton+ version of Kodi and addons need to be Python 2/3 compatible to get into the Leia repo. I'll be working on this next. For those that want a manual download is available on GitHub@robweber
Great update

Thank You  Smile

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Blurayx - 2019-09-07

@robweber
I’ve noticed 1.5.0 and all the previous versions. some settings reset to default after a restore(kodi fresh install)
I have to manually reconfigure kodi. Is this intentional or the limitations of kodi.

Reset to default after a restore :
Audio
weather(Disabled)
Adjust display refresh rate(off)
Regional

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-09-09

(2019-09-07, 15:38)Blurayx Wrote: @robweber
I’ve noticed 1.5.0 and all the previous versions. some settings reset to default after a restore(kodi fresh install)
I have to manually reconfigure kodi. Is this intentional or the limitations of kodi.

Reset to default after a restore :
Audio
weather(Disabled)
Adjust display refresh rate(off)
Regional

The addon does make an attempt to try and restore settings found in the guisettings.xml file via JSONRPC (Setttings.SetSettingValue). This is to get around the fact that the guisettings.xml file can't be overwritten while Kodi is running. I'll do some testing to see if the settings you mention can be restored this way or not. Thanks for pointing this out.

UPDATE: I believe you've found a bug. Not sure when this first started happening but I'm sure it's been happening for a while. https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/issues/154

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-09-11

@Blurayx 

I think version 1.5.1 should fix what you're seeing. Thanks for pointing it out. At some point the layout of the guisettings file changed and the xml parsing I was using on restore wasn't working anymore. Now the restored guisettings file settings should update the Kodi settings that differ. This should affect anything that can be updated via the JSONRPC calls. There might be a handful of settings this doesn't apply to but most of the major ones will work now. 

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/releases

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Blurayx - 2019-09-11

(2019-09-11, 17:09)robweber Wrote: @Blurayx 

I think version 1.5.1 should fix what you're seeing. Thanks for pointing it out. At some point the layout of the guisettings file changed and the xml parsing I was using on restore wasn't working anymore. Now the restored guisettings file settings should update the Kodi settings that differ. This should affect anything that can be updated via the JSONRPC calls. There might be a handful of settings this doesn't apply to but most of the major ones will work now. 

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/releases
It's been like this for a few years, I always thought it was a Kodi limitation.

Update: Working great. Backup saved all my settingsCool

Thank's for the updateSmile

[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2019-09-11

Does this addon now restore the addons.db File so when upgrading from 17 to 18 addons will be enabled??

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-09-11

I guess yes and no(?). You still have to go in and manually enable the addons after the restore. There is a call to "UpdateAddons()" to refresh the addon list but it's still a manual process. 

This started as an addition to how the internals of Kodi work a few years a go to help combat piracy and people who use Kodi as a vehicle for some shady addons. I was approached by the Kodi team and asked not to include any auto-enabling within this addon as it would simply make auto-deploying their crap that much easier. Given the hard stance that the Kodi project has to take against stuff like this, so-as to remain a legitimate media solution, I can understand their position here. I certainly don't want this addon blacklisted as "helping piracy" over something like this. 

I realize it's a pain for individual users but the Kodi GUI has some pretty decent ways so quickly enable addons now - even dependencies. I had to restore a bunch of stuff just a few weeks ago and it took maybe 5-10 minutes to quickly go down the addon list and click "enable" on each one after the restore.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - ASDasfasfdasfas - 2019-09-12

Hey Rob, thanks for your hard work on this. I haven't been able to get local storage, network storage or Google Drive storage to work. I either get the error 'Destination may not be writable' and then 'Bcakup complete, some files may not have been written'; OR 'Backup error - check log'.

I can't see anything in the logs (not sure if I need to turn logging on for the add-on. Am I doing something wrong?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2019-09-12

(2019-09-12, 14:24)ASDasfasfdasfas Wrote: Hey Rob, thanks for your hard work on this. I haven't been able to get local storage, network storage or Google Drive storage to work. I either get the error 'Destination may not be writable' and then 'Bcakup complete, some files may not have been written'; OR 'Backup error - check log'.

I can't see anything in the logs (not sure if I need to turn logging on for the add-on. Am I doing something wrong?

I can understand Google Drive being a bit difficult to setup but local and network storage should work fairly easily. It uses the same file system components that Kodi itself uses to traverse those kinds of file systems. 

If you can, turn on debug logging (Settings->System->Logging) and then run the addon. Post the result to something like https://paste.kodi.tv/. It will have info in it that would be helpful in trying to figure out what is going on.