Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: xbmcbackup broken! - pmolson - 2012-09-25

(2012-09-25, 02:06)thrak76 Wrote: Please link the entire log, using xbmclogs.com or pastebin.com.

Post Updated! Thanks

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - boppyman - 2012-09-25

(2012-09-21, 15:20)Rhothgar Wrote: If you are on ATV2, simply go into Program Add-ons, select XBMC Backup without pressing enter and hold Menu button down for 3 seconds to bring up context menu then go to Add-on settings.

(2012-09-21, 19:56)robweber Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 19:25)boppyman Wrote: Pretty stupid question but where do i go to create a backup?

I've configured it all, i just cant find any options to create the backup

Do what Rhothgar said to configure the addon. If you've already setup everything all you have to do is highlight the addon under Programs and hit OK on your remote (or enter on the keyboard). Unless you have run silent turned on the progress bar will pop up at this point. For scheduled backups they will just run, with a small notification when they start.

I've set everything up in the settings but when i go into program addons and highlight XBMC backup and press enter it just goes into addon information

right clicking or holding select to bring the context menu up just says show information and configure, so im stuck stuck

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-25

@pmolson - based on this line
Code:
"/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/vfs.py", line 102, in listdir
                                                jsonobject = json.loads(json_response)
                                            AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'loads'

I'm going to venture a guess that you've deleted a needed library somewhere that this addon needs to run. At the top of the python file vfs.py you'll see the line "import json". This is where the json module comes from. The error that the json module does not contain the function "loads" comes from the fact that python cannot load the module as needed to run the correct method. Given that it was working and by your own admission you deleted some stuff, I'm going to guess there was a dependency somewhere. The bad part is that I couldn't even tell you which one it was. The json module being used is supposed to be part of xbmc's python library set, so it should always be available.

Are you running Eden on your ATV or one of the Frodo nightlies? If you're on Frodo let me know and I can hook you up with a pre-Frodo build of this addon that does not need the vfs.py library.

@boppyman
What type of system are you on? Are you sure you're in the Programs area? Showing the addon info instead of launching it is the default behavior when browsing for the addon under Settings->Addons not when browsing under the Programs node. If you can't find a way to get to Programs it might not be enabled in your skin, check the skin settings to see if it is turned on.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - pmolson - 2012-09-25

@robweber, Thanks for looking into this Rob! I have bought this ATV2 a week ago or so and it was already J/B and preloaded with tons of apps, included XBMC.I'm new to xbmc and atv2, but looking under system info, I can see that it has xbmc 11.0 Git:20120702 (compiled: Jul 2, 2012). As for removing potential dependencies, I should correct what I said, I did not physically remove (uninstall) anything, all I did was to disable the add-ons I had no interest in... (i.e. Korean, Viet, TV games, and other addo-ns I didn't care for. Moreover, I know that some of the addons do call on this "json thing" and they 're still working ok...Livestreams, being one of them...I'm open to any suggestions...Thanks!

(2012-09-25, 20:02)robweber Wrote: @pmolson - based on this line
Code:
"/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/vfs.py", line 102, in listdir
                                                jsonobject = json.loads(json_response)
                                            AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'loads'

I'm going to venture a guess that you've deleted a needed library somewhere that this addon needs to run. At the top of the python file vfs.py you'll see the line "import json". This is where the json module comes from. The error that the json module does not contain the function "loads" comes from the fact that python cannot load the module as needed to run the correct method. Given that it was working and by your own admission you deleted some stuff, I'm going to guess there was a dependency somewhere. The bad part is that I couldn't even tell you which one it was. The json module being used is supposed to be part of xbmc's python library set, so it should always be available.

Are you running Eden on your ATV or one of the Frodo nightlies? If you're on Frodo let me know and I can hook you up with a pre-Frodo build of this addon that does not need the vfs.py library.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-09-28

For pmolson, or anyone with a nightly build version of XBMC dated June or later, I've updated the pre-Frodo zip file located on the Github downloads page for this project.

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/downloads

The pre-Frodo build has several changes from the Eden version. The most notable is that the vfs library has be replaced with functions from the xbmcvfs module. This is a great change since everything can now go through the XBMC virtual file system instead of doing JSON calls. The other big change is that you can define a backup retention number, only keeping a set number of daily backups if you wish. Coupled with the scheduler you can have a rotating backup policy in place for your xbmc backups without filling up your HD with a lot of useless data. The option to keep everything is still available as well. All of these changes are due to additions that exist only in Frodo so they will not be ported to the Eden versrion.

Once there is a Frodo repository I'll be submitting this version of the addon, but until then it is manual install for people on the nightly builds only.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - pmolson - 2012-09-28

@robweber, here is are a few stupid questions for a noobie like me:

1. How do I know if I have a nightly build on m y ATV2? I can see that I have xbmc 11.0 Git:20120702 (compiled: Jul 2, 2012).
2. Is this pre-Frodo version for ATV2 only or can it be installed on Windows as well (so I can play with it a bit and familiarize my self with this version)
3. Ok, I understand the installation is manual, but is there a step by step procedure (url) on how to this?

Thanks A 10^6!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - TubbyPoutine - 2012-10-04

First of all, this app is a great idea - Much appreciated!

Question:
After I've done my backup and I load up a fresh install of XBMC for the first time, what are the steps to do the restore properly?
For example, do I add my Movie, TV show, and Music paths again first - and then do the restore? Or should the restore be the first thing that I do?

Background info:
I'm running XBMC (Crystalbuntu) off a USB drive on my ATV and I want to scrap that and do a fresh install of XBMC (Crystalbuntu) onto the ATV's internal hard drive. So I'm just looking to do the backup from the USB install and restore it to the hard drive install.

Thanks!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-10-04

(2012-10-04, 07:28)TubbyPoutine Wrote: First of all, this app is a great idea - Much appreciated!

Question:
After I've done my backup and I load up a fresh install of XBMC for the first time, what are the steps to do the restore properly?
For example, do I add my Movie, TV show, and Music paths again first - and then do the restore? Or should the restore be the first thing that I do?

Background info:
I'm running XBMC (Crystalbuntu) off a USB drive on my ATV and I want to scrap that and do a fresh install of XBMC (Crystalbuntu) onto the ATV's internal hard drive. So I'm just looking to do the backup from the USB install and restore it to the hard drive install.

Thanks!

I'm going to assume you've backed up the majority of your USB install using the addon - including config files, database, etc. If this is the case then doing a restore should be the first thing you do. What I would do is do your fresh install, and then before doing any other configuration download the XBMC Backup addon from the online repo. Configure it and set the restore date you want to pull from, then run it. This should bring in your sources, database, fanart, addons, everything you selected to backup.

I'm not an expert on when XBMC reads certain files (like sources.xml), so just to make sure everything is working correctly you may want to reboot after the restore completes. After that everything should work.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Beer40oz - 2012-10-08

Thank you for this Robweber... this is pretty handy.

Question...

When I installed this in configure the only option not ON was the ADDON DATA in the file selection...
do I need this on or not?

Or is it best just to have everything on?

Thanx

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-10-08

The default options are really based on my personal preferences. I guess to me the addon_data, while it does hold the addon settings information, isn't 100% critical. I'll probably hear some disagreement here but I've noticed that as addons evolve the settings file gets full of unneeded information. For others though I'm sure capturing the addon data folder is critical, just personal preference I guess.

When in doubt - back it all up!

(2012-10-08, 17:49)Beer40oz Wrote: Thank you for this Robweber... this is pretty handy.

Question...

When I installed this in configure the only option not ON was the ADDON DATA in the file selection...
do I need this on or not?

Or is it best just to have everything on?

Thanx

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - BrianM - 2012-10-16

(2012-09-19, 15:37)robweber Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 15:24)fuffa Wrote: I have the same problem of muppet1986!
I try to restore but when I select the folder with date there was a "remote path doesn't exists" error...
In which way can I restore manually? Where are the folder to overwrite from backup?
Thanks

When you select "restore" an additional setting becomes visible. This is where you input the folder name (date basically) of the backup you'd like to restore from. Do not browse to the folder with the path selection browser - this is incorrect. Once you set the path to your backups folder you should never have to change it if you are doing a backup or restore.

What is happening is that the addon is putting the path and folder name together when you are trying to do the restore, if you browse for the folder you get a path does not exist message. If your backup path is smb://machine/backups all you have to do is enter the date of the backup when you select restore and it will create a path of smb://machine/backups/YYYYMMDD when you run the addon. Please check the logs and see what path it is trying to find to figure out what you are doing wrong.

I'm having the same problem:
Browse Remote Path smb://ALARM/TV Recordings/
Backup Folder Name: 20121016

Ddidn't work 3 times - just tried again (to properly report error message) and, guess what? It worked this time...

And it got the movies but not the config files (eg. MPEG2 / VIC) nor the Live TV settings

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-10-16

(2012-10-16, 13:16)BrianM Wrote: I'm having the same problem:
Browse Remote Path smb://ALARM/TV Recordings/
Backup Folder Name: 20121016

Ddidn't work 3 times - just tried again (to properly report error message) and, guess what? It worked this time...

And it got the movies but not the config files (eg. MPEG2 / VIC) nor the Live TV settings

Did you get the error message about the path that doesn't exist? The latest version should also list the path in the error message so you can see if it is wrong. If this is not the case (and it eventually worked) it is probably just a network issue or something along those lines.

What files specifically did it not get? If everything was backed up all of the DB files in the userdata/Database folder and all of the .xml files (config files) should have been backed up. If they did not restore properly they may have been in use when you did the restore. The xbmc.log file will have information on the file copy operations. The best way to do a restore is to boot the system fresh, then do the restore operation immediately before other files are accessed or locked by regular operations.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - boppyman - 2012-10-19

(2012-09-25, 17:30)boppyman Wrote:
(2012-09-21, 15:20)Rhothgar Wrote: If you are on ATV2, simply go into Program Add-ons, select XBMC Backup without pressing enter and hold Menu button down for 3 seconds to bring up context menu then go to Add-on settings.

(2012-09-21, 19:56)robweber Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 19:25)boppyman Wrote: Pretty stupid question but where do i go to create a backup?

I've configured it all, i just cant find any options to create the backup

Do what Rhothgar said to configure the addon. If you've already setup everything all you have to do is highlight the addon under Programs and hit OK on your remote (or enter on the keyboard). Unless you have run silent turned on the progress bar will pop up at this point. For scheduled backups they will just run, with a small notification when they start.

I've set everything up in the settings but when i go into program addons and highlight XBMC backup and press enter it just goes into addon information

right clicking or holding select to bring the context menu up just says show information and configure, so im stuck stuck

Guys i'm still struggling with this, can anyone help?

Is there supposed to be something to select in programs because i don't have anything to do with XBMC Backup in there

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - john.doe - 2012-10-20

I've been using 0.1.6 on my Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC (XBMC v12) and it's been working great.

However, I've now installed the latest (Frodo) version 0.2.1 because I wanted to use the rotating backups feature but I get an error with the script every time I try to run it.
I'm pretty sure it's configured properly as well...

The full log is here: http://sprunge.us/AECK but the relevant bit is towards the bottom:
Code:
16:52:03 T:1340081248   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
                                            Error Contents: No module named resources.lib.backup
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup-frodo/default.py", line 1, in <module>
                                                from resources.lib.backup import XbmcBackup
                                            ImportError: No module named resources.lib.backup
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
16:52:03 T:1340081248    INFO: Python script stopped

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - scb147 - 2012-10-20

Is there anyway to add an option to only keep a specified number of backups?