Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Bergy16 - 2012-10-21

Great adonBig Grin

I have managed to save my backup on my NAS server, and it's great.

A little question: is it possible to save and restore from a destination on the internet, e.g. Dropbox. This would be great, because you would then be able to share your settings and plugins with other users. I have tried to upload my backup folder to my public dropbox folder and write the adress down in Remote Path.

When I try to restore from it, I get the message that the remote path doesn't exist.

Any help on this? Doesn't the plug in support https-adresses?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-10-22

I just had time to go through all the new posts on here in the last week or so. I'll try to answer the best I can and follow up afterwards if needed.

@John.doe - I'll try to recreate this myself and see if it is related to the RPI specifically (I have one as well) or if there is just something wrong with the Frodo version of the addon. It is not as heavily tested as the stable version at this point but in my last round of tests it did work.

@scb147 - Yes, this is an implemented feature in the Frodo version of the addon. The xbmcvfs library does not have the needed functionality to implement this for Eden, so for now the stable version will not include this. If you have a nightly version of XBMC you could try the Frodo development version or just wait until a Frodo specific XBMC repo is available as I will add it then.

@Bergy16 - the program does not support https addresses. At the moment it only supports file systems that can be read/written to by the xbmcvfs plugin - bascially anything that you can browse to as an xbmc source. Adding a remote file system, like Dropbox, is something I can put on the todo list. I know Dropbox has a python library and some tutorials on their website.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-10-23

(2012-10-20, 18:21)john.doe Wrote: I've been using 0.1.6 on my Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC (XBMC v12) and it's been working great.

However, I've now installed the latest (Frodo) version 0.2.1 because I wanted to use the rotating backups feature but I get an error with the script every time I try to run it.
I'm pretty sure it's configured properly as well...

The full log is here: http://sprunge.us/AECK but the relevant bit is towards the bottom:
Code:
16:52:03 T:1340081248   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
                                            Error Contents: No module named resources.lib.backup
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmcbackup-frodo/default.py", line 1, in <module>
                                                from resources.lib.backup import XbmcBackup
                                            ImportError: No module named resources.lib.backup
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
16:52:03 T:1340081248    INFO: Python script stopped

I managed to find the issue here. Completely my fault too. At some point the __init__.py files that are needed to make the directories python packages were removed from the Frodo branch of the addon. Since switching branches in git does not remove the .pyo files I still had them in my development directory even though they didn't actually exist in the repo. I've added them back in, along with a few other bug fixes. Here is a link to the most current Frodo build.

https://github.com/downloads/robweber/xbmcbackup/script.xbmcbackup-frodo.zip

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - dkplayaclub - 2012-10-24

I have been considering using this for a bit now, but I have a few questions before I attempt to use it on my main box. I have spent literally hundreds of hours on tweaking and perfecting the layout etc. of XBMC and I just want to make sure it will do what I need it to do.

1. Will all of my views be saved? Some add-ons can only be customized by going through them screen by screen and setting the view types you want manually, This alone took an insane amount of time, as some of these add-ons have thousands of screens.

2. If I create a backup to an external drive, then wipe my hard drive so I can do a clean install, can I then just import the backup from the external?

The only other thing that worries me is all the metadata and fanart I have edited over the past few years, but I assume since I exported my entire library and created .nfo files for every video that all the info should just show up automatically when I scan my video sources (they are in the same folders as the videos).

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - john.doe - 2012-10-25

(2012-10-23, 15:15)robweber Wrote: I managed to find the issue here. Completely my fault too. At some point the __init__.py files that are needed to make the directories python packages were removed from the Frodo branch of the addon. Since switching branches in git does not remove the .pyo files I still had them in my development directory even though they didn't actually exist in the repo. I've added them back in, along with a few other bug fixes. Here is a link to the most current Frodo build.

https://github.com/downloads/robweber/xbmcbackup/script.xbmcbackup-frodo.zip

Thanks for the quick fix – sometimes Git is too clever for it's own good!

I've downloaded the latest zip but XBMC is now telling me that the "Add-on does not have the correct structure" and won't install it...

EDIT: It installs correctly after downloading the source files from github as a zip, but the zip from your link above (and in the github 'Downloads' section) is broken.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-10-25

(2012-10-24, 20:09)dkplayaclub Wrote: 1. Will all of my views be saved? Some add-ons can only be customized by going through them screen by screen and setting the view types you want manually, This alone took an insane amount of time, as some of these add-ons have thousands of screens.

2. If I create a backup to an external drive, then wipe my hard drive so I can do a clean install, can I then just import the backup from the external?

The only other thing that worries me is all the metadata and fanart I have edited over the past few years, but I assume since I exported my entire library and created .nfo files for every video that all the info should just show up automatically when I scan my video sources (they are in the same folders as the videos).

1. Your views are most likely saved in the guisettings.xml file (someone correct if I'm wrong here). This file is saved if you are selecting the "Config Files" option in the addon. Unfortunately the guisettings.xml file is the most problematic of the XBMC config files in that it is read/written to a lot during normal operation. This usually doesn't affect backup but restores to that file sometimes fail if XBMC has it open. In this case you just manually move it from your backup location or keep trying until the lock is gone.

2. Yes, you should be able to just install the XBMC Backup addon from the repo, configure it, and do a restore from your external to get you settings back. A restart of XBMC may be necessary to refresh sources, and other preferences since they might be read at startup.

3. Rescanning your sources should not be necessary if you are saving your DB and fanart/thumbnails with the addon. All of this should repopulate itself. That being said doing the library export as insurance doesn't hurt either!

(2012-10-25, 00:33)john.doe Wrote: Thanks for the quick fix – sometimes Git is too clever for it's own good!

I've downloaded the latest zip but XBMC is now telling me that the "Add-on does not have the correct structure" and won't install it...

EDIT: It installs correctly after downloading the source files from github as a zip, but the zip from your link above (and in the github 'Downloads' section) is broken.

Thanks for letting me know. What is really funny is the GitHub download link is just a repost of the "download as zip" option from GitHub. All I did was rename it. I'll try it again! Glad it's working for you.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - john.doe - 2012-11-01

Frodo version working well so far... except I've got it set to a max. of 5 backups, but it's making the newest backup then deleting it straight-away, instead of deleting the oldest one!
e.g. Deleting folder 20121031 instead of folder 20121026.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-01

(2012-11-01, 02:01)john.doe Wrote: Frodo version working well so far... except I've got it set to a max. of 5 backups, but it's making the newest backup then deleting it straight-away, instead of deleting the oldest one!
e.g. Deleting folder 20121031 instead of folder 20121026.

Thanks for posting that back here. In the testing I've done the xbmcvfs module always returned the folders in a dated order. This may not work across all protocols, or maybe I was just getting lucky. In any case I made a github issue so I wouldn't forget. Making a sorting function to put them in the right order before deleting should be pretty trivial.

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/issues/20

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-03

Just an FYI to everyone, I've included this addon in the Transifex translation site as documented on the XBMC blog recently. Now that Frodo is in a feature freeze I plan on publishing to the Frodo specific repository as soon as its open. I'll pull any translations that are done and publish any new changes to the addon then. I'll also do an Eden update for anything that would work for that release as well.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Ukrainianoiler - 2012-11-06

(2012-10-22, 15:16)robweber Wrote: I just had time to go through all the new posts on here in the last week or so. I'll try to answer the best I can and follow up afterwards if needed.

@John.doe - I'll try to recreate this myself and see if it is related to the RPI specifically (I have one as well) or if there is just something wrong with the Frodo version of the addon. It is not as heavily tested as the stable version at this point but in my last round of tests it did work.

@scb147 - Yes, this is an implemented feature in the Frodo version of the addon. The xbmcvfs library does not have the needed functionality to implement this for Eden, so for now the stable version will not include this. If you have a nightly version of XBMC you could try the Frodo development version or just wait until a Frodo specific XBMC repo is available as I will add it then.

@Bergy16 - the program does not support https addresses. At the moment it only supports file systems that can be read/written to by the xbmcvfs plugin - bascially anything that you can browse to as an xbmc source. Adding a remote file system, like Dropbox, is something I can put on the todo list. I know Dropbox has a python library and some tutorials on their website.

On ATV1 - I tried to backup to my pc which XBMC is able to access - it would show on the screen my atv is hooked up to that is was going thru and backing it up but I would never get a file in the designated directory on my pc.

In the end I just tried a usb thumbdrive and it was successful and the file was there there. I'm likely asking a dumb question, is this just a pc/mac compatability issue or is there something I should have done that would allow it to save where I had tried. Mostly asking just out of curiosity : ) Thanks for all your great work here.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-06

There shouldn't be a compatibilty issue. I'm assuming you have all the traffic going over the network; most likely a SMB share?

Try to run the whole thing in debug mode on your ATV1 and post a link to log here (use pastebin please). Most likely there is something funny going on with the paths and the folders are trying to write to directories that don't exist or it doesn't have access to.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-07

Attention testers -

On the github downloads page I've added two new downloads. One is the latest Frodo build of the addon. As mentioned before this includes some file system read/write updates as well as a backup rotation policy. These features are Frodo-specific so they will not be included in any Eden releases. Anyone on the latest nightlies can try them out as the Frodo XBMC repo is not open yet.

The other download is the same Frodo build with a new target - Dropbox. Based on a request from Bergy16 I've implemented reading/writing directly to a Dropbox share as a remote target. This is extremely experimental at the moment but I've done numerous backup/restore operations with it so far with great success. You do not need the Dropbox client running on your XBMC machine to use this, although there is some added setup. See the README file for more information.

Any feedback on these builds please post them back here (with a link to a debug log please!).

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/downloads

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2012-11-26

I really like this.....i do have one request

It doesnt backup the system settings, so when i do a restore my whole system has the wrong settings, so weather is default (even though it backs up my weather addon and settings), my location etc....

Need to add the main system settings to the backup as well, Is there a way of allow you to select backup or restore when running the application, hard work doing a restore when setting it up...

I am using this on Windows installed and Raspberry PI openELEC

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Wanderlei - 2012-11-28

Where is the default backup location?

I pressed ok, it ran through a backup but I have to idea where it went?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2012-11-28

(2012-11-28, 14:28)Wanderlei Wrote: Where is the default backup location?

I pressed ok, it ran through a backup but I have to idea where it went?

Go to System > Settings > Add-ons > Programs > XBMC Backup > Configure

You will find the location its backing up in, when you "run" the program under "programs" then its executes what you have set in the above location.

This was my concern, to do a restore you need to go to system and change everything then back to programs to "run" that restore.