Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-28

@SFX Group

I really like your suggestion. I've probably just been using the program the way it is for so long I didn't think of how the interface probably seemed to new users. With your suggestions in mind I've merged in the following changes.

Here you can see the new prompt when running the program. This is where you choose to either backup or restore. These options have been removed from the settings area so now that is only for setup of the remote directory.

If you choose restore a list of restore points, pulled from your destination, are displayed and you choose the one you want to restore from. This eliminates the need to check your destination directory and type in a file name.

One other large merge that was done today is the merging of the Dropbox file system with the master branch. This will allow you to use Dropbox as a remote destination without needing the Dropbox client on your XBMC machine. The addon will write directly to the cloud store. Please be warned additional setup is required here to authorize the addon to work with Dropbox, so read the Readme file.

I plan on testing these changes more over the next few days but expect a push to the Frodo repo by the weekend. I am going to try and merge the GUI changes into the Eden branch as well but Dropbox will remain a Frodo only feature.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2012-11-29

Sounds good, this looks alot better, do you have the option of which to run in programs when running the program?

Also are you able to include system settings as well?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-29

(2012-11-29, 01:58)SFX Group Wrote: Sounds good, this looks alot better, do you have the option of which to run in programs when running the program?

Also are you able to include system settings as well?

Yes, if I'm understanding you right. When you click "XBMC Backup" in the programs list you will now get the Backup or Restore prompt instead of having to configure it in settings. This also takes some confusion out of the scheduler application as it is not affected by the program mode and will only run backups.

As far as the system settings I guess I'm not sure what you mean. Any XBMC specific settings are stored if you backup the Config Files in the settings. The Locale and other pieces are part of the guisettings.xml file and should be backed up. Below is a rip straight from my guisettings.xml -

Code:
<locale>
        <audiolanguage>original</audiolanguage>
        <charset>DEFAULT</charset>
        <country>USA (12h)</country>
        <language>English (US)</language>
        <subtitlelanguage>original</subtitlelanguage>
    </locale>

Weather location data is stored in the addon_data folder as these are now addons.

One thing that may be helpful to know is that after a restore you should restart XBMC for your config files to take affect. Many of these files are only read on startup, of if the addon reads/writes to them. This is especially true if your backups contain advancedsettings.xml.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - SFX Group - 2012-11-30

Hi

Yes i have checked my backup, it does contain guisettings.xml. Looks like i didnt fully test this, will need to do more testing.

I am trying to find a very easy way of getting data back on Raspberry PI openELEC as reading 2 partitions in Windows is impossible on an SD card so the only way to get settings back is to use this backup add-on.

How do we get the updated version of this add-on?

[Release] XBMC Backup - Canyaya - 2012-11-30

Hello, sorry if this has been covered, if it was I didn't understand it. I backed up to an external hdd via smb. It backed up fine and used the date as the folder name in the hdd but now when I configure the addon to restore and run it, it tells me that the path doesn't exist. I'm trying to back up to an xios ds running Linux xbmc. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Edit: I figured it out. For anyone else having trouble I'll try to help. On the restore I was navigating all the way to the folder and clicking ok on that. That made the full path appear on that bar of the settings. Now when I went to the second bar, "backup folder name" and I typed the name of the folder, it would add whatever name I typed to the path. That's why the paths didn't match. You're supposed to only browse as far as the drive that the back up is on then in the backup folder name you type the name of the folder and it will complete the path. Awesome addon!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-11-30

(2012-11-30, 07:32)Canyaya Wrote: Hello, sorry if this has been covered, if it was I didn't understand it. I backed up to an external hdd via smb. It backed up fine and used the date as the folder name in the hdd but now when I configure the addon to restore and run it, it tells me that the path doesn't exist. I'm trying to back up to an xios ds running Linux xbmc. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Edit: I figured it out. For anyone else having trouble I'll try to help. On the restore I was navigating all the way to the folder and clicking ok on that. That made the full path appear on that bar of the settings. Now when I went to the second bar, "backup folder name" and I typed the name of the folder, it would add whatever name I typed to the path. That's why the paths didn't match. You're supposed to only browse as far as the drive that the back up is on then in the backup folder name you type the name of the folder and it will complete the path. Awesome addon!

Thanks! Glad you figured it out. When I push the new version (see screenshots above) hopefully this will get less confusing as you'll only have to set the root "remote path" once and then be presented with a list of restore points when doing a restore. The wrong path error has stumped a lot of people I think.

[Release] XBMC Backup - Canyaya - 2012-11-30

It's already an awesome addon. Thank you for your hard work.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - matt77303 - 2012-12-09

Im getting a scipt error when ever i enable user-addons in the file selection window.

If i dont select that then it all works perfect.

log below

Matt

http://www.filefactory.com/file/4144ng2y765f/n/xbmc_log

File was to big for pastebin

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-09

(2012-12-09, 16:21)matt77303 Wrote: Im getting a scipt error when ever i enable user-addons in the file selection window.

If i dont select that then it all works perfect.

log below

Matt

http://www.filefactory.com/file/4144ng2y765f/n/xbmc_log

File was to big for pastebin

Thanks for the log file, as I had feared it is the dreaded UnicodeDecodeError. I had thought these were all stamped by now. It looks like whatever file is next in the folder skin.AeoNoxmaster/media/flags/studios/ after Zodiac Films.png is the culprit as that is the last file name listed. Can you tell me where to find a copy of this skin so I can attempt to replicate?

I also noticed the addon is running in the folder "xbmcbackup-master" so I'm wagering a guess you downloaded and installed this right from the git repo. That's fine but make sure you're on the latest version. I haven't done anything with Unicode in a while so I don't think it will matter but just to be safe.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - matt77303 - 2012-12-09

Heres the skin to download, its frodo only

https://github.com/BigNoid/Aeon-Nox/archive/master.zip

Matt

whats the best way to install xbmcbackup so i always stay up to date, ive always just done it via the git repo.

from memory installing it via the xbmc rep didnt work at all, just script errors

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Baswazz - 2012-12-09

@robweber, this looks really nice. I ofter have to change all the library images to my needs as i forget to backup. Thanks for this add-on.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Michi1979 - 2012-12-09

Hello,
great Addon. Keep on the good work Smile

Now to my problem: From the official Repository i can only download Version 0.2.3!

I don't know, what the problem can be.

Greetings from germany,
Michael

Ok, just downloaded from Github and now it's working.
But when i want to connect to my Dropbox account i get the message, that the app is in development and only a few users can connect to Sad

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - silvine - 2012-12-10

I have this scheduled to run every week at a certain time. What happens if my machine is turned off at that time? Does the backup run when it boots up?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2012-12-10

(2012-12-09, 17:45)matt77303 Wrote: Heres the skin to download, its frodo only

https://github.com/BigNoid/Aeon-Nox/archive/master.zip

Matt

whats the best way to install xbmcbackup so i always stay up to date, ive always just done it via the git repo.

from memory installing it via the xbmc rep didnt work at all, just script errors

There was a period of time when the official XBMC repo version had some logging errors causing a lot of issues. These should be mostly cleared up now (except for you and Aeon apparently!). The XBMC repo is the easiest way to stay up to date. The official repo is a little behind at the moment but I think that is just due to Team XBMC being busy pushing out the Frodo Betas right now. I did submit a repo pull for the latest version and anticipate this will be updated as soon as they can get to it.

(2012-12-09, 23:08)Michi1979 Wrote: Hello,
great Addon. Keep on the good work Smile

Now to my problem: From the official Repository i can only download Version 0.2.3!

I don't know, what the problem can be.

Greetings from germany,
Michael

Ok, just downloaded from Github and now it's working.
But when i want to connect to my Dropbox account i get the message, that the app is in development and only a few users can connect to Sad

Sorry about that. I hadn't realized I needed to do anything on the Dropbox side of things, this is my first time developing something for their API. I found a way to apply for production status. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. I'll post back here when I receive confirmation. Thanks for trying it out.

(2012-12-10, 00:52)silvine Wrote: I have this scheduled to run every week at a certain time. What happens if my machine is turned off at that time? Does the backup run when it boots up?

The scheduler uses a cron-style scheduling method to schedule the backups. Like real cron if you miss a set timer due to the computer, or xbmc, not running it will just skip and go for the next time when it is running again. Most people schedule backups for times when they won't be using their media center (ie 4am) so playing "catch-up" is more of a nuisance if it starts running at times you didn't want it to.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - samuk - 2012-12-10

Hi Guys,

Can XBMXC backup to a network share?

i get errors when i try to point the location to a smb share?

Thanks