Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - vijayk416 - 2013-03-02

Thanks for the clarification here on what works and pitfalls, Rob. It was clear to me from the get-go that I was going to need a dedicated folder for backups, so I created one, lucky me I guess (also, smart me for using a Synology system that makes me organize my media into shares so I just created a new one for backups). Perhaps you can put a disclaimer on this on post#1 of this thread so that anyone starting to use the addon for the first time sees it?
Outside of that, this continues to be a core utility in my XBMC toolkit and I thank you for making it happen and your continued commitment to improve it.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - hal1000 - 2013-03-04

Do any of you know the default save path for the backup file in Android, just did a backup with this program and like hell can I find it?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-03-04

There is no default save path. If you haven't edited the settings and set a path, then it is just blank. The VFS file system probably interprets this as the root "/" directory. On something like Android the xbmc process probably doesn't have permission to write here so there won't be a backup file. XBMC will log when the file system can't write a file but the GUI doesn't show anything.

Be careful where you are putting your backups directory. As many people have stated here make sure you use a separate directory for backups only. I'm working on a fix for the file deleting but it isn't out yet.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-03-04

Update on 2 big items I threw into github today:

1) Anyone still waiting for the "custom directories" feature, I have made some more progress on this. The master branch on github now has the most recent code with these changes. I've added support for 2 non-xbmc directories that you can configure in the addon settings. I've also fixed it so these should now work with the Dropbox target as well.

2) Progress on the "the addon deleted all sorts of files it shouldn't have" bug. As part of the backup process a simply validation file is thrown in the root of each backup folder. If this file doesn't exist, then the folder is not a valid xbmc backup archive and will be left alone. Because this file did not exist in the past you can cut/paste the validation file into all your existing backups once you've created one with the new branch so that they'll show up as part of the restore and backup rotation. Sorry for the manual work on this piece but there is no other way for the addon to know what is a backup directory without some human intervention on this one. If you don't do anything, no harm done you just won't see these backups get deleted or in the restore option until you add the file.

Just to reiterate - all of these changes are live in the master branch right now. Any brave souls that want to test it out and report bugs back here please do so. I'm doing my own testing over the next few days and hope to do a repo pull by the end of the week. I'm hoping to update the backup scheduler code and translations as well.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - j1mpst3r - 2013-03-05

script error on both ATV2 and OSX versions of Frodo with DropBox:

*removed unnecessary log*

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-03-05

I don't think you setup Dropbox as detailed in the instructions. I see the Dropbox Authorize URL in the log file, and then the error is "token is invalid". This really only happens when you fail to authorize dropbox via the URL and then click "OK" as prompted by the GUI. The token will always fail if you don't do this. After the first time the addon will save your token file so it won't need you to do it again, but you have to follow the instructions and find the generated URL the first time.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - j1mpst3r - 2013-03-06

Hi, thanks for your response.

I set up dropbox as instructed, entered the key and secret into the xbmcbackup settings.

Clicked Back Up, opened the log file and located the dropbox url. Entered url into my browser which prompted me to authorise, dropbox confirmed it was successful.

Next I run xbmcbackup click OK and the plugin fails with a script error.

Have done this multiple times on multiple devices (ATVs and OSX versions of xvmc), set up multiple folders and different keys etc on dropbox.

Each time I get Script Failed.

Now, one thing I do notice is the log file is not updated until I quit XBMC, is this going to cause a problem? If so how do I get the log file with out quitting XBMC ?

apologies, for some reason today my log file is updating itself in realtime and I can successfully back up to dropbox ( why didn't this happen yesterday over a 5 hour period!!!! ). sorry to trouble you.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-03-06

(2013-03-06, 10:49)j1mpst3r Wrote: apologies, for some reason today my log file is updating itself in realtime and I can successfully back up to dropbox ( why didn't this happen yesterday over a 5 hour period!!!! ). sorry to trouble you.

Glad you got it working. You may have been authorizing old URLs as they are different each time, causing the most current one to fail. As long as you have it working now you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

well its working in respect of dropbox but backing up always hangs at 4% while doing the thumbs.db (both on the current release and your master)

seeing as it is necessary to SSH into each ATV to grab the URL I have reverted to simply SSHing the files I wish to back up.

its a great project you have, thanks for your assistance and I will check back on it further down the line, when it is more refined.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-03-07

(2013-03-06, 23:07)j1mpst3r Wrote: well its working in respect of dropbox but backing up always hangs at 4% while doing the thumbs.db (both on the current release and your master)

seeing as it is necessary to SSH into each ATV to grab the URL I have reverted to simply SSHing the files I wish to back up.

its a great project you have, thanks for your assistance and I will check back on it further down the line, when it is more refined.

I'll admit the Dropbox setup really lacks polish - but that is mostly on the fault of how Dropbox structures their API. Nothing likely to change here on that front. Dropbox is also really finicky about the files and if they are in use or anything it causes issues transferring them. Thumbs.db is typically a windows file that is generated for thumbnails, xbmc doesn't have a database file by that name that I've ever seen.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - gibxxi - 2013-03-12

The thumbs.db files are also classed by many as one of Windows "Annoyances". Google how to disable them. There are several methods:

1. In the "Organize" menu for Windows Explorer you can set it to "Show icons, never thumbnails".

2. Download one of the many registry hacks floating around the net that turn off the creation of thumbs.db files at the registry level.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - vijayk416 - 2013-03-13

Hey Rob, I just ran a full backup upon reinstalling OpenELEC 2.9.9.5 and noticed that the system setting are not being restored. Is this not something that should be reset or did my backup not update everything properly?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-03-13

(2013-03-13, 01:50)vijayk416 Wrote: Hey Rob, I just ran a full backup upon reinstalling OpenELEC 2.9.9.5 and noticed that the system setting are not being restored. Is this not something that should be reset or did my backup not update everything properly?

By "system settings" do you mean things that would be stored in the guisettings.xml file? This includes things like language, locale, views in skins, etc.

There are some posts on this thread regarding the guisettings.xml file, I'll summarize them for you. XBMC reads the guisettings file into memory on startup, and writes out the entire file periodically when settings are changed. It also does one final write to the file with current settings when the program closes. This leaves absolutely zero room for the backup addon to replace this file while xbmc is running, and have it take effect.

For example:

You start xbmc - it reads in guisettings and sets up default xbmc views and settings. You restore you files from backup - guisettings.xml file is now a new version based on what you backed up previously. You shutdown xbmc so that your new settings will take effect - xbmc writes the old settings from memory right over the top of you restored guiesettings file.

The only way to restore this file is to do it while xbmc is not running. For systems like OpenELEC this will take some command line magic. I submitted a ticket on trac regarding a method to allow this file to be restored while xbmc is running but nothing has been changed yet.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - audio.addicted - 2013-03-13

Very cool addon so far! I got one problem with Frodo + Dropbox + Aeon Nox. I want to backup all files, but the script can't get past the following file: addons/packages/skin.aeon.nox-4.0.9.zip It is around 70MB big and gets stored completly in Dropbox. But after that, nothing happens. It stays at 7%, cancel is not possible. Any Ideas?

EDIT:
The last Log-Entry is the following:
Code:
20:51:26 T:748   DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: C:/Users/rwiesner/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/addons//packages/skin.aeon.nox-4.0.9.zip

If I take a look at Thread 748 of XBMC.exe it is in a waiting condition "Wait:UserRequest". And the Dropbox connection seems to be closed (CLOSE_WAIT)
Code:
XBMC.exe    768    TCP    htpc-deluxe    51142    ec2-107-22-221-113.compute-1.amazonaws.com    https    CLOSE_WAIT