Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-05-09

(2013-05-09, 12:09)pdes Wrote: I had this amny times. It's down to the Shares on your network (unless you are saving locally). I spent many a (un) happy hour trying to figure it out and ended up saving to as many different shares I could find via the various set-up options/routes. Eventually, I hooked up to a Public folder on my NAS and managed to save the backups. It does seem that the app is very tempremental when saving to a Share.

Don't blame the app, I'm using the built in xbmcvfs file library! Making sure your share read/write permissions and your xbmc connection information lines up is key. Since you are writing as well as reading it is a little more complicated than just hooking up a regular xbmc source (since those tend to be read only). You can specify authentication information in your connection string as outlined in the xbmc wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_media_source_types#Generic_Network_Sources

For more complicated issues please post a debug log.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-05-09

ctrlbru posted this issue on Github - https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/issues/30

In a nutshell path substitution information needs to be loaded by xbmc before any other file restoring is done to ensure that your files go to the correct places. To make sure this happens I've pushed a few changes to the master repo today. If the presence of an advancedsettings.xml is found in the restore folder the addon will ask you if you wish to restore only this file and restart xbmc, or continue as normal.

If you choose "yes" the advanced settings file is moved from the restore and you are prompted to restart xbmc. After the restart the addon will detect the interrupted restore and ask if you'd like to continue (this is done via the service part of the addon). From here you can restore the rest of your files with path substitution working correctly.

I'll ask for a git pull and get this into the main repo ASAP. Thanks again to ctrlbru for bringing this problem up.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - prkid - 2013-05-11

(2013-05-09, 15:34)robweber Wrote:
(2013-05-09, 12:09)pdes Wrote: I had this amny times. It's down to the Shares on your network (unless you are saving locally). I spent many a (un) happy hour trying to figure it out and ended up saving to as many different shares I could find via the various set-up options/routes. Eventually, I hooked up to a Public folder on my NAS and managed to save the backups. It does seem that the app is very tempremental when saving to a Share.

Don't blame the app, I'm using the built in xbmcvfs file library! Making sure your share read/write permissions and your xbmc connection information lines up is key. Since you are writing as well as reading it is a little more complicated than just hooking up a regular xbmc source (since those tend to be read only). You can specify authentication information in your connection string as outlined in the xbmc wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_media_source_types#Generic_Network_Sources

For more complicated issues please post a debug log.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated! The app does see my directory and that is what I select yet when it does the backup I have no clue where the files are located. All I see on the screen is /storage/.../.../. I have tried just about everything. I did give all read/write permission to "Everyone" to my Mac yet no success. I also created a new sharing user in my Mac with all read/write permissions. Anyway, I will keep trying and report back if I find a solution. I will also be trying with another PC that I have. It be great if the app did tell you if permissions are not granted and/or if it really is not writing at all to a particular location. I have no way to tell since it seems it runs as it's supposed too.

Any add'l thoughts are welcome! Again, thank you! (By the way, I do have an additional advanced settings.xml -- not sure if any contribution pos/neg.)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-05-12

As you are running your tests please post a debug log to the xbmclogs site. It will have the information needed to track down what is happening (including the path the backup is trying to write to, and any xbmc permission errors).

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - prkid - 2013-05-13

Rob,

I reset my system and proceeded to include a new account on my Mac and provided all the privileges. I then used the browse for path and it gave me an error (could not connect, actually, did not get through the whole path). Thus, I typed in the path where the privileges abd sharing was set. Below is the log url. I lloked and can not really determine at what point my path was set (does not show up!!!). Maybe you can shed some light. Thank you!

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=18572

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - ciantm - 2013-05-13

Hi Rob,

First off great add-on!! I've been doing things like this manually, or by a combination of Rsyncs and other syncs across various instances of XBMC and platforms for some time now and also saw the need for this addon, but without having the expertise to create it!

From some testing it looks like this creates a complete new backup/overwrite each time it is used...

Would an optional update/complete backup (a change of sub-folder name i.e. not the date, would then be required perphaps) be possible Based

i.e. if file no longer exists on destination but exists on source =add, if exists=do nothing, if does not exist on source but exists on destination=remove

Thanks for your work!

Cian

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-05-13

(2013-05-13, 05:48)prkid Wrote: Rob,

I reset my system and proceeded to include a new account on my Mac and provided all the privileges. I then used the browse for path and it gave me an error (could not connect, actually, did not get through the whole path). Thus, I typed in the path where the privileges abd sharing was set. Below is the log url. I lloked and can not really determine at what point my path was set (does not show up!!!). Maybe you can shed some light. Thank you!

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=18572

The log doesn't show the path being set since that is just a setting. The settings file is a text file that gets saved, nothing actually happens until you try to run a backup with the addon. If the XBMC browser gave you an error than that is most likely the problem. Since this addon uses the same virtual file system that XBMC uses when you are browsing for the path. If XBMC can't communicate with it, then you can't write to it. Typing the path manually gets it into the settings, but when you run the addon you'll probably have the same problem.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-05-14

(2013-05-13, 14:24)ciantm Wrote: Hi Rob,

First off great add-on!! I've been doing things like this manually, or by a combination of Rsyncs and other syncs across various instances of XBMC and platforms for some time now and also saw the need for this addon, but without having the expertise to create it!

From some testing it looks like this creates a complete new backup/overwrite each time it is used...

Would an optional update/complete backup (a change of sub-folder name i.e. not the date, would then be required perphaps) be possible Based

i.e. if file no longer exists on destination but exists on source =add, if exists=do nothing, if does not exist on source but exists on destination=remove

Thanks for your work!

Cian

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the biggest issue with something like this is not knowing the file modified dates (these aren't available with the XBMCVFS implementation). In the case where a file exists on the source and destination, you would want to know which was newer so you could copy the source -> destination if it needed an update.

What purpose would this serve you as opposed to how the addon functions now? Obviously instead of multiple restore points you'd end up with 1 main one, but with the backup rotation feature you could trim this down to one anyway. Is it the constant file name rather than the rotating name with date that would better fit your use case or are you more concerned with the bandwidth of transferring all the files every time? Just trying to get a little more information.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Baswazz - 2013-05-16

Dropbox isn't the fasted cloud location Sad
This morning i made a backup and this evening it is still buzzy.

Re: [Release] XBMC Backup - Baswazz - 2013-05-17

Is it possible to backup The watched/unwatched status of my movie library?
I used the xbmc backup's default setting. And i see after restoring The watched status is gone.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-05-17

The watched status of your videos is stored in the XBMC database. If you've backed up the database it should be there. One thing to keep in mind after a restore is that you should probably reboot XBMC to make sure all the restored files/settings take effect.

I see your post regarding Dropbox too. Yes, it is not the fastest transfers ever. One thing that really slows it down is if you have multiple skins in your addons folder, these can be hundreds of MBs in size. Depending on the system you are using it would actually be more efficient to install the native Dropbox client for your OS and then backup to that folder. This way the backup would happen locally and the Dropbox software could send it all up to the cloud in the background. The direct to Dropbox feature was implemented for folks with systems like OpenELEC that may not be able to install a native Dropbox client.

I would suggest putting your feature request into the XBMC ticket tracker - http://trac.xbmc.org. That way the devs can see it - I'd imagine what you are proposing would need to be added to the xbmc core as you'd want to do this from the main movie/tv menus.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Baswazz - 2013-05-17

(2013-05-17, 14:58)robweber Wrote: The watched status of your videos is stored in the XBMC database. If you've backed up the database it should be there. One thing to keep in mind after a restore is that you should probably reboot XBMC to make sure all the restored files/settings take effect.

I see your post regarding Dropbox too. Yes, it is not the fastest transfers ever. One thing that really slows it down is if you have multiple skins in your addons folder, these can be hundreds of MBs in size. Depending on the system you are using it would actually be more efficient to install the native Dropbox client for your OS and then backup to that folder. This way the backup would happen locally and the Dropbox software could send it all up to the cloud in the background. The direct to Dropbox feature was implemented for folks with systems like OpenELEC that may not be able to install a native Dropbox client.

I would suggest putting your feature request into the XBMC ticket tracker - http://trac.xbmc.org. That way the devs can see it - I'd imagine what you are proposing would need to be added to the xbmc core as you'd want to do this from the main movie/tv menus.

Nevermind the future request it was ment for yatse. Big Grin

I only edited the backup location from local to dropbox and back to local. Did not edit the settings which to backup. It could be my backup was before settings those watched/unwatched flags, i don't remember.
I am using a Raspberry Pi. People who are using Raspbmc/Openelec/XBMCbuntu can also use the SFTP protocal and Openelec have SMB shares setup out of the box. Smile But i understand your point about the Dropbox client.

Thx.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - msarro - 2013-05-17

I agree with what a few other folks have said - create a folder in your local dropbox folder, and set XBMCbackup to backup there. Then dropbox will eventually get the upload, it may take a little while but it'll get there. Either way, you still have a local backup on disk in the meantime.

I go overboard - I back up to local dropbox, which is in turn backed up to dropbox, and is also included in crashplan and time machine backups.

I'm anal retentive about not losing data Smile

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - ciantm - 2013-05-28

(2013-05-14, 18:26)robweber Wrote:
(2013-05-13, 14:24)ciantm Wrote: Hi Rob,

Thanks for your work!

Cian

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the biggest issue with something like this is not knowing the file modified dates (these aren't available with the XBMCVFS implementation). In the case where a file exists on the source and destination, you would want to know which was newer so you could copy the source -> destination if it needed an update.

What purpose would this serve you as opposed to how the addon functions now? Obviously instead of multiple restore points you'd end up with 1 main one, but with the backup rotation feature you could trim this down to one anyway. Is it the constant file name rather than the rotating name with date that would better fit your use case or are you more concerned with the bandwidth of transferring all the files every time? Just trying to get a little more information.

Hi Rob,

(First off sorry for the slow reply, I was away!)

Yes, without the modified dates this would be difficult alright.

Previously I had a sync/backup setup from my NAS using rsync between 3/4 instances of xbmc. This is not perfect as now I have XBMC on an Android mini HDMI pc too and using rsync apps on android has not given me any good or more importantly stable results.

Nightly syncs between the same files that you include (except not the thumbnaisl, that is just much to slow to copy - still not sure about that and I am trying to use common thumbnails ion the server at the moment but unsure if it will work long term). I would prefer to use an auto backup/restore to update a server file rather than rsync because of the possibility of deleting server side files that have been erroneously deleted from a single instance of XBMC,

Really the syncs are for changes in addon setups etc, or config changes as my DB is mysql on the server so common to all, the idea being that nightly a master version of the setup is backedup to the server and also copied down to the other instances of XBMC.

For testing new boxes/mini pcs/rasbmcs etc the restore you have is still great - allows me to get a new XBMC image up and running very quickly after a firmware flash or something - that is great.

Any thoughts?!

Cian

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - PoPi - 2013-05-28

(2013-05-03, 15:52)PoPi Wrote:
(2013-05-02, 15:25)robweber Wrote: Try this (from the FAQ). Based on your description this is probably the issue.

If you've created restore points with an older version of the addon (pre 0.3.6) you may see this issue. New versions of the addon look for a file called xbmcbackup.val to validate that a folder is a valid restore archive. Your older restore folders may not have this file. All you need to do is create a blank text file and rename it to xbmcbackup.val. Then put this file inside the archive directory. Your restore points should show up after selecting "Restore" in the addon again.

Thanx for the info.
I just tried that but it didn't work.
I think I might have been using the same version as I reinstalled not that long ago, about 6 weeks tops.
Is there a specific folder I should use, I would have assumed I can put the archive/backups anywhere more or less?
I did reboot but it still doesn't see my other 3 backups, only the one I made after installing OpenElec 3.0.0
Hi Rob
If you could suggest anything else I can try to resolve this issue I would appreciate it?
My 3.0.0 is still running but I know I'll have to reinstall one day all over again so I still need a solution.