Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - the_optimist - 2013-10-22

Oops - no I don't 'turn on xbmc every day.' I leave it running.
Lately I've been moving the gbox from deployment to office for
devel work and noticed the popup when I restarted it. And, yes,
I think it does show the NEXT scheduled backujp.
Yes, the backup runs perfectly and has been VERY useful, since
until yesterday I hadn't found the xbmc-on-android directory structure with
the file manager. So a big thank you for that.
Since the manual backup (i called it 'interactive') works, I know it can
write to the smb share. I enabled logging, but the log was written to a place
I don't now how to get to. I'm still a noob with android.
Today it dawned on me that this may be an issue with the gbox android
implementation of xbmc, so nothing to do with you. I'll see what I can find out from
the gbox devs, find the log and get back to you. Thanks a million for your answer
and your work.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - TUSSFC - 2013-10-22

(2013-10-21, 16:02)robweber Wrote: It really depends on the OS you are using. Refer to this page for specifics: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

I just committed the changes to add the profiles folder to the list of options. I'll do a pull request for the xbmc repo later today.

Will this update now be available to download from the repo? Thanks.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - THRobinson - 2013-10-23

Just a quickie... about to format my C:\ drive and reinstall Win7x64 and everything else. I have two 3TB media drives, each has a folder inside,

D:\Movies
E:\TV Series (plus sub folders for each TV series)

When I restore however, my plan is to dump the contents to the root of each drive, so all movies are in the D:\ and all TV Series folders are in E:\, just eliminate the extra mouse click to open the parent folders.

Before I restore, is there a file I can open and do a find/replace for "D:\Movies" replace with "D:\" so when I restore, it knows what goes where?

I recall using the XBMC backup for thumbs/art I had to do that back in version 10 I think... assuming this has a similar thing? Thanks

Re: RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-10-24

(2013-10-23, 23:02)THRobinson Wrote: Just a quickie... about to format my C:\ drive and reinstall Win7x64 and everything else. I have two 3TB media drives, each has a folder inside,

D:\Movies
E:\TV Series (plus sub folders for each TV series)

When I restore however, my plan is to dump the contents to the root of each drive, so all movies are in the D:\ and all TV Series folders are in E:\, just eliminate the extra mouse click to open the parent folders.

Before I restore, is there a file I can open and do a find/replace for "D:\Movies" replace with "D:\" so when I restore, it knows what goes where?

I recall using the XBMC backup for thumbs/art I had to do that back in version 10 I think... assuming this has a similar thing? Thanks

You will need to change the paths in your sources.XML file, plus modify your database. The DB will either be sqllite or mysql depending on your setup. I don't know the exact query you'll need but I recall seeing similar questions posted in the forum before. Do some searches and I'm sure it is available.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - THRobinson - 2013-10-24

I remember doing it but was 2 versions (and likely 2yrs) ago... so no recollection of what file name I need to change. Plus that was the XBMC backup. This is the first time using the Add-On Backup so, no idea how it differs. I never had to modify a database though, apart from opening a file in notepad and doing a simple find/replace for the paths.

As for "Do some searches and I'm sure it is available"... I'm sure it exists as well, since I found it a few years ago... but not finding it now, which is why I posted.

Re: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-10-24

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130596

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - THRobinson - 2013-10-24

I'm not much further ahead...Tormi (post#8) asked what I'm asking... what file? They mention 'your xml file' numerous times, but, my backup contains 258 *.xml files.

Other thing is, as I mentioned, is the method the same when using the XBMC export vs this add-on? That thread says to export your data as a single xml file, which I don't see as an option when using this add-on. My backup is 1.2GB so, I'm assuming it gathers everything that the XBMC export gathers plus my settings.

Thread also starts by saying they're running MySQL... I have no idea what I am running. I have Win7x64 and downloaded/installed XBMC and it runs. TV is connected with HDMI and that's my setup.

If I recall correctly, when exported as a single xml, it saved a file named "videodb.xml" and it was editable with Notepad or Wordpad, simple 'find/replace all' fixed it all up.

Yup, just tried the XBMC export and 1.06GB, has the videodb.xml file there, and lists all my movies/series with paths. Change the path to match the new path and import after I reinstall XBMC. It doesn't sound as though this add-on will have a solution as simple as that. Shame... looks like I'll have to run 2 separate backups, the XBMC export for all my artwork/info... and the add-on for my settings.

"...change the paths in your sources.XML file, plus modify your database. The DB will either be sqllite or mysql depending on your setup." sounds harder than find/replace in notepad.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-10-25

I think your issue is that you really have two different objectives here: 1) wipe out XBMC and re-install and 2) change the paths of your sources. The XBMC Backup app is designed for the first one. If you are setting up a new system and you want all of your files/settings exactly how you had them on a different system, then just doing a backup and restore is what you want. Going the additional step of changing your source paths means you'll need to do some extra work exporting and re-importing your library. This addon at it's most basic level a file-mover, it isn't designed to edit anything especially database sources. Your situation is exactly what the library management tools (import/export) are for.

Since you are blowing away your whole library anyway by wiping your c: drive, the easiest solution would have just been to re-scrape the library after adding the new sources. You could have simply exported the whole thing as separate NFO files and then did a re-scrape on the new system. XBMC would have read back in the NFO information and even grabbed the artwork. Would have taken a while to let it run but would have saved the find/replace work.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - THRobinson - 2013-10-25

I ended up using both programs... restored my settings/add-ons with this one, but used the XBMC export to a single file, edited the path in the single xml, and restored from that. Which worked but, took hours to run. Basically started it and ended up going to bed and letting it do it's thing. Takes as long as a rescrape, but, I don't have to go through switching posters/background art from the default scraped at least since sometimes the defaults aren't the best.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - abeltman - 2013-10-30

Hello Rob,

I'm experiencing a problem with XBMC Backup and I can't seem to find a solution for it. I have used the Backup tool in the past successfully in combination with Dropbox, but having trouble getting it to backup directly to Dropbox now.

I have two XBMC installations. One Windows based and the other OpenELEC (Pi) based. The error I get is the same on both systems.
This is the error: ErrorResponse: [401] u'Request token has not been properly authorized by a user.'

As far as I know I follow the correct procedure. I add the both Key and Secret to the Backup Add-on. Then run the Backup tool, check the log file for the Authorize URL, enter (copy/paste on Windows install) this in the OAuth Redirect URL field in the Dropbox App and finally press OK. I receive an "Error in script" message in XBMC and see the above error in the log file.

I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.... Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Arjen

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-10-30

Thanks for the message. I haven't used the Dropbox feature myself in quite a while. I'll blow away the settings on my dev environment and see if I can get it to work. Will post results back here.

Quick question - you are on XBMC Frodo right?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - abeltman - 2013-10-30

Oh yes... forgot to mention that... Frodo indeed.

Thanks!

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - crusader88 - 2013-10-31

I just want to say that i love this add-on its genus great work

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Prettygrim - 2013-11-02

hi all. my first post here so sorry if wrong. i dont know if i am allowed to ask for help here or not.
i have managed to get XBMC installed and working n my OUYA and have installed the SuperRepo with XBMC backup. once installed i went back and found it and clicked on it to see how to back up. i was expecting to get the option of telling where to put the back up but didn't. it went through a proces but dont know what was happening really.
can someone please tell me how to sort out where to put a back up and how to actually do it, please? what can i back up on to?

if i am asking in the wrong place, please move to the appropriate place and inform me so if anyone is kind enough to point me in the right direction, i can find it?many TIA

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2013-11-03

(2013-10-30, 22:47)abeltman Wrote: Oh yes... forgot to mention that... Frodo indeed.

Thanks!

Had some time to test this the other day. I started with a clean install of the XBMC Backup addon. Walking through the process I had no problems getting Dropbox authorized and starting the backup. Here are the steps I followed:

1) Set the dropbox secret and key from my developer account into the addon
2) start the addon and choose backup
3) when prompted find the Dropbox Authorize URL in the xbmc.log file
4) paste this url into a browser and clicke "allow" when prompted. Doesn't need to be on the same computer
5) Click OK on the XBMC GUI

From your description it doesn't sound like the authorization process ever completed between the addon and Dropbox.

(2013-10-31, 05:27)crusader88 Wrote: I just want to say that i love this add-on its genus great work

Thanks!

(2013-11-02, 17:11)Prettygrim Wrote: hi all. my first post here so sorry if wrong. i dont know if i am allowed to ask for help here or not.
i have managed to get XBMC installed and working n my OUYA and have installed the SuperRepo with XBMC backup. once installed i went back and found it and clicked on it to see how to back up. i was expecting to get the option of telling where to put the back up but didn't. it went through a proces but dont know what was happening really.
can someone please tell me how to sort out where to put a back up and how to actually do it, please? what can i back up on to?

if i am asking in the wrong place, please move to the appropriate place and inform me so if anyone is kind enough to point me in the right direction, i can find it?many TIA

You have to set the backup path in the Addon Settings before attempting to run a backup. Your issue makes me wonder if killing the program and prompting the user to set their backup location if left blank would be a good addition. I'm currently prepping to add some features for Gotham releases and will add this to the list as well.