Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

[Release] XBMC Backup - ktjensen - 2014-01-08

Have to agree with the discussion. The algorithm seems lacking in need to shut XBMC first before backup or restore of primary user files. It's a complicated issue that might be platform dependent.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - bertel333 - 2014-01-11

Hi,

This addon does a really great job especially with its integrated scheduler. Unfortunately the contents of the folder "userdata\Thumbnails\a" are not copied to the backup location, only an empty folder is created. If debug logging in XBMC is enabled it shows something like that on a windows machine but its also the same on RaspBMC:

17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/9/9fff0fc5.jpg
17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: -C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/a
17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: -C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/b
17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/b/b00019ab.jpg

So it seems the addon does not recognize the files in subfolder "a" for backup although there are about 1000 thumbnails in it. That's a very strange behaviour because all other subfolders of userdata/Thumbnails are backed up perfectly.
I would appreciate any hints how to solve that issue...

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-13

(2014-01-11, 18:32)bertel333 Wrote: Hi,

This addon does a really great job especially with its integrated scheduler. Unfortunately the contents of the folder "userdata\Thumbnails\a" are not copied to the backup location, only an empty folder is created. If debug logging in XBMC is enabled it shows something like that on a windows machine but its also the same on RaspBMC:

17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/9/9fff0fc5.jpg
17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: -C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/a
17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: -C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/b
17:03:16 T:6364 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup: Writing file: C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails/b/b00019ab.jpg

So it seems the addon does not recognize the files in subfolder "a" for backup although there are about 1000 thumbnails in it. That's a very strange behaviour because all other subfolders of userdata/Thumbnails are backed up perfectly.

Thanks for pointing this out. After a few tests I realized my "a" directory was not getting backed up either. I tracked the issue down to a really weird issue with how the matching was done for incorrect file types (like .zip and .rar). Not sure how the "a" directory was matching that filter but it was. As a result none of the files in that directory were getting backed up. I rewrote how this filter works so now it doesn't catch directories that it shouldn't.

If you can pull the modified version of the addon from github and see if it works for you. If you just want the file I modified its in resources\lib\backup.py

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - bertel333 - 2014-01-14

(2014-01-13, 18:37)robweber Wrote:
(2014-01-11, 18:32)bertel333 Wrote: Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out. After a few tests I realized my "a" directory was not getting backed up either. I tracked the issue down to a really weird issue with how the matching was done for incorrect file types (like .zip and .rar). Not sure how the "a" directory was matching that filter but it was. As a result none of the files in that directory were getting backed up. I rewrote how this filter works so now it doesn't catch directories that it shouldn't.

If you can pull the modified version of the addon from github and see if it works for you. If you just want the file I modified its in resources\lib\backup.py

Thank you for the quick bugfix. I just tested it and backup works now like a charm (folder "Thumbnails" gets fully copied now ;-)).
I guess you can safely release this bugfix with version 0.4.4 for all the other users...

Greetz
bertel333

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Baldy54 - 2014-01-15

Is there a step by step direction on how to install Dropbox to make work.

[Release] XBMC Backup - ktjensen - 2014-01-15

Baldy - you install DROPBOX to your platform. Win7, Linux, android. Then you backup to your DROPBOX directory.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-15

(2014-01-15, 03:05)Baldy54 Wrote: Is there a step by step direction on how to install Dropbox to make work.

You can just install Dropbox on your platform as ktjensen suggested and backup to it as a regular target. If you want to use the built-in Dropbox functionality that will send directly to the cloud without needing the Dropbox app installed on your htpc there are some basic instructions. Look at the README file for this project on github. It has the steps you need to create the developer account and get it talking with the addon.

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-20

Updates for Gotham!

I finally decided to start updating this addon for XBMC Gotham specific features. Those of you running nightly builds can try out these new features by using the gotham-dev branch - https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/tree/gotham-dev. I will get this published to the Gotham repo soon (more testing needed first).

Changes so far are:
  • Replacement of "run silent" with "Progress Display". This lets you choose from the normal progress bar, a background progress bar (like the one you'd see during a media scan), or none. For scheduled backups the progress bar setting is always a backgrounded progress bar. None is no display for any mode, exactly like the old "run silent" method.

• There are also a few small under the hood tweaks to take advantage of some xbmc python enhancements, nothing visual though.

Let me know if you find any bugs. Anything that can be backported to Frodo will be until Gotham is released.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - jl88 - 2014-01-21

After i choose the plugin for Installation, there is a short prompt in the Addon List who shows "0%".
After that the Installation is aborting without any prompt.
Any Suggestions?

XBMC Version: 12.2 Git:d1002b4
Openelec Version 3.2.4 Generic.i386
Hardware: Zotac ID42

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-21

(2014-01-21, 20:48)jl88 Wrote: After i choose the plugin for Installation, there is a short prompt in the Addon List who shows "0%".
Any Suggestions?

Are you trying to download from the repo or install manually. Usually a 0% progress bar and failure means it can't install from the repo. This app doesn't have an deps that you would need to worry about. Check your log, might be a message there related to the installation. Something with the xbmc addon manager for sure.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-01-21

A couple of questions if that's ok?

Firstly, does the add-on overwrite each 'category', or will it just add to what is already in place?

For example, if I have a set up with 10 add-ons, and the restore a backup with 2 add-ons (which aren't already on the system), after the restore has been finished will the system now have 12 add-ons or 2?

Secondly, is it possible to restore from Dropbox through a developer app?

I have tried a few times, it starts as expected but then hangs on 'gathering file list'.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - renhack - 2014-01-21

(2014-01-21, 22:03)robweber Wrote:
(2014-01-21, 20:48)jl88 Wrote: After i choose the plugin for Installation, there is a short prompt in the Addon List who shows "0%".
Any Suggestions?

Are you trying to download from the repo or install manually. Usually a 0% progress bar and failure means it can't install from the repo. This app doesn't have an deps that you would need to worry about. Check your log, might be a message there related to the installation. Something with the xbmc addon manager for sure.

Confirmed. Won't install through the addon manager. Was working fine last night. Tried to set up my last appletv this morning and couldn't install.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-01-21

(2014-01-21, 22:10)Samu-rai Wrote: A couple of questions if that's ok?

Firstly, does the add-on overwrite each 'category', or will it just add to what is already in place?

For example, if I have a set up with 10 add-ons, and the restore a backup with 2 add-ons (which aren't already on the system), after the restore has been finished will the system now have 12 add-ons or 2?

Secondly, is it possible to restore from Dropbox through a developer app?

I have tried a few times, it starts as expected but then hangs on 'gathering file list'.

Your first example is correct, a restore will not "wipe out" existing addons, simply add to what is already there. If a file with the same name does exist it will be overwritten. So if you've downloaded an updated addon and then do an import where an older version exists you may end up with the older version again. My suggestion for restores is typically to do them right after a new install or when you aren't worried about losing files (like DB gets corrupted or something).

It should be possible to restore from Dropbox with the developer app. That being said their API does seem extremely slow. Not sure if this is due to how their python libraries are setup or just their systems in general. The gathering files process goes out and tries to do a recursive "find" on all folders matching your criteria in the backup archive. Try watching your log if you can, it could be that it is finding files but just taking a very long time.

(2014-01-21, 22:39)renhack Wrote: Confirmed. Won't install through the addon manager. Was working fine last night. Tried to set up my last appletv this morning and couldn't install.

Do other addons download? This may be something to post in the general support forum as it relates to the addon manager specifically, it could be something wrong with the mirror sites or even just xbmc on your device.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - renhack - 2014-01-22

Other addons install fine. It's just your addon that does it.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - renhack - 2014-01-22

Here's a log for you. http://pastebin.com/WPk1KhdE