Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-09

(2014-03-08, 22:22)gibxxi Wrote: AFAIK, the general restore proceedure with XBMC Backup should be as follows:

1. (Re)install XBMC (if required),
2. Restore advancedsettings.xml to userdata folder,
3. Start XBMC and install XBMC Backup add-on from the XBMC.org repository,
4. Run the restore job after configuring Backup/Restore folder in XBMC Backup add-on,
5. Exit XBMC and restore your guisettings.xml file to your userdata folder,
6. Restart XBMC.

Note: Doing a clean install may require you to run XBMC at least once to get the userdata folder created so you know where to put the advancedsettings.xml file in step 2. If you know the path, then this is not nessecary.

Good procedure for those unfamiliar with how to setup a new box with a restore. Only modification is that you shouldn't have to manually copy your advancedsettings.xml file first. The restore process should detect if an advancedsettings file exists in the restore archive and copy that first, prompt you to reboot xbmc, and then continue.

Also an update on the guisettings issue. I've been following the PR on this and it seems things are slow moving. Since the Gotham Beta is out it's unlikely this will make it in any more. Sorry I know this is a big issue for some people and kind of a pain. I had nothing to do with this PR and I'm really not sure if it's not ready (worked for me on a dev box) or if it just wasn't a priority for Gotham and is now on hold.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - xbm3000 - 2014-03-09

with Windows, xbmc 13.0 “Gotham”, it said 'dependencies not met'.
with Android, xbmc 12.4 “Frodo”, it said ' script failed'
Any help would be appreciate.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-10

(2014-03-09, 18:50)xbm3000 Wrote: with Windows, xbmc 13.0 “Gotham”, it said 'dependencies not met'.

Tried this addon on a clean install of the Gotham Beta on Windows. Installs and runs with no issues. Is your system a clean install or an upgrade? Just wondering as this addon has no dependencies other than the xbmc python interface so it sounds like something else is messed up on your system to get an error like that. I've heard of issues in the past with upgrades where the xbmc python libraries get messed up, especially if you've tried to copy over files after the Gotham install and messed up the libraries.

Also, do you mean Frodo 12.3? There is no 12.4, at least not officially. Been running this on my Frodo install with the latest updates for quite some time, although not an Android system. Would need a debug log to really troubleshoot that one.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - xbm3000 - 2014-03-11

(2014-03-10, 17:02)robweber Wrote:
(2014-03-09, 18:50)xbm3000 Wrote: with Windows, xbmc 13.0 “Gotham”, it said 'dependencies not met'.

Tried this addon on a clean install of the Gotham Beta on Windows. Installs and runs with no issues. Is your system a clean install or an upgrade? Just wondering as this addon has no dependencies other than the xbmc python interface so it sounds like something else is messed up on your system to get an error like that. I've heard of issues in the past with upgrades where the xbmc python libraries get messed up, especially if you've tried to copy over files after the Gotham install and messed up the libraries.

Also, do you mean Frodo 12.3? There is no 12.4, at least not officially. Been running this on my Frodo install with the latest updates for quite some time, although not an Android system. Would need a debug log to really troubleshoot that one.

Thanks 4 your advice, the XBMC Backup works beautifully on windows 7 x64 now on the Gotham Beta clean install :-)
And as for the android box, it does say 'Frodo 12.4' when the device first turn on. My brother just recently bought it like that. And it seem like the box has some sort of system lock because it does let me to installed the XBMC Backup but it ONLY allowing me to set the remote backup path to Drop Box [ it does not provided the option to backup to any other directories.] and when I got my Dropbox backup directory set, it say ' script failed' when I tried to executed. I am just trying to get some addons from that box that I could not find on the net. Thanks for the help.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-16

Is there a command I could use within a skin to run the add-on in a specific mode?

For example:

RunScript(script.xbmcbackup,mode=restore)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-16

Yes. Take a look at the readme file on github. The commands should be in there. Definitely possible.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-16

Brill. Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm trying to write a script which will run XBMC Backup, wait until it has finished, and then start another script.

Do you know which function I can use to achieve that?

(Sorry for going off topic)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-17

That is an interesting idea. Looking at how the scripted addon piece is coded I think I could make it a little better. Some of the Gotham changes allow for making sure the progress bar is always backgrounded (or not visible at all depending on your settings). I could also set some GUI properties that you could check on in your script when the addon is running. This would give you a really easy true/false variable for testing if the addon is running from another script. An example would be:

Code:
#kick off the xbmc backup
xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Addons.ExecuteAddon","params":{"addonid":"script.xbmcbackup","params":{"mode":"backup"}}, "id": 1 }')

#sleep for a few seconds to give it time to kick off
xbmc.sleep(10000)

window = xbmcgui.Window(10000)

while (window.getProperty('script.xbmcbackup.running') == 'true'):
     #do something here, probably just sleep for a few seconds
     xbmc.sleep(5000)

#backup is now done, continue with script

If this looks like something that would work I'll get to work adding the properties.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-17

My knowledge of Python is pretty basic, so I’m more than happy to take your lead Smile

My aim is to use the script to overcome guisettings limitation, so if it works as I hope, perhaps you could incorporate into the main branch/add-on?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-18

(2014-03-17, 13:32)Samu-rai Wrote: My knowledge of Python is pretty basic, so I’m more than happy to take your lead Smile

My aim is to use the script to overcome guisettings limitation, so if it works as I hope, perhaps you could incorporate into the main branch/add-on?

I have a branch on github called "scripting_updates". This is branched from the gotham version of the addon so it will only work on that platform. Right now this branch has the window properties and I mentioned adding. I tested it using a skin visibility check on the true/false value and sure enough it works. You should be able to use it in something very close to the example I have to test if the backup process is running from within another script or even within a skin xml.

If you want to test it out please do. I'll probably merge it into the main branch before my next repo request.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-19

Great. Thanks for that.

Out of interest, when you switch the main branch to Gotham, will it remain compatible with Frodo?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-19

When Gotham is released that branch will be merged into master. The Frodo version will remain as its own branch. Many of the Gotham changes are not compatible with Frodo, so that version will only get bug updates as needed as long as xbmc will accept repo updates for it. If they use the same timeline as Eden updates for that version will no longer be accepted to the repo (or at least discouraged) a few months after the new release.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-19

I see. So anybody running Frodo won't have their addons automatically updated to the Gotham versions, unless they update XBMC?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-03-19

Exactly, there are different versions of the repo. This way addons not compatible with a different version won't show up in that version of XBMC. Big updates that are Gotham only will stay that way since they use features that don't exist in Frodo. As I said though, I will fix major bugs if they translate to the Frodo version and update that as well.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Samu-rai - 2014-03-21

Great. Thanks for the info.