Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - kingkongxbmc - 2014-04-01

Its installed now. If some one is working on the program would it stop the addon downloading?

After sbout an hour. And I tried several tyoes of xbmc. The frodo 12.3 and minix version. Now installed.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - finov - 2014-04-01

This Add-on don't installed now.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-04-01

If the addon is running it more than likely won't install. Never really tested this but seems to make sense.

For anyone getting install errors please provide a debug log when you tried to install it. There were 2 updates to both the Frodo and Gotham repos within the past 24 hours. They were approved so I'm assuming they passed any dependency checks on those systems but accidents do happen. I need to see the exact reason before concluding it's an issue with the addon or if you just can't contact the mirror for some reason. Thanks.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - kingkongxbmc - 2014-04-01

Its installed ok now thank god.

But I am a reseller of boxes and use the xbmc back loads to reload new boxes with data files from previous boxes to speedy set them up..

If this happens again , is there a manual addon repo for frodo 12.3 to install xbmcbackup?

Or do you have to always install it fromm the xbmcorg repo ?

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Crssi - 2014-04-02

I hope there was no question like mine before.
Can I create a backup on windows computer and then restore on openelec from those backup files?

Thank you in advance

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-04-02

(2014-04-01, 20:21)kingkongxbmc Wrote: Its installed ok now thank god.

But I am a reseller of boxes and use the xbmc back loads to reload new boxes with data files from previous boxes to speedy set them up..

If this happens again , is there a manual addon repo for frodo 12.3 to install xbmcbackup?

Or do you have to always install it fromm the xbmcorg repo ?

In a pinch you can always just download the zip file from the Github page and use "install from zip" in the addon browser. Just make sure you pick the correct branch. Master is usually the most current (Gotham now) and older versions are in different branches. https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup.git

(2014-04-02, 13:16)Crssi Wrote: I hope there was no question like mine before.
Can I create a backup on windows computer and then restore on openelec from those backup files?

Thank you in advance

The xbmc files themselves should all be cross platform (addons, databases, etc) so that shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that might be an issue is if any of your sources or path information changes from one system to the next. For instance - I've seen hiccups where I may have set a path in an addon to fanart or weather backgrounds or something and then on a new system that path is incorrect. You'll end up having to reset these types of things. 90% or more will carry over just fine. If you sources paths will change, then you might be better off doing a database export/import to rebuild that.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Crssi - 2014-04-02

Cool, thank you, just what I have tought.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - gibxxi - 2014-04-02

Rob, does XBMC Backup also backup the uPnPServer.xml file too? I ask for the same reason as Crssi. As it's been stated elsewhere that this file is unique to the machine it was created on, and should not be migrated to another machine. doing so may cause conflicts if/when both machines become active at the same time, thus both attempting to broadcast the same upnp data.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Jarviss - 2014-04-03

Hi Rob.

Have you seen the latest version of xbmc USB wizard? It backs up the guisettings.xml and restores it perfectly. Doesn't need a restart after restore either. You should take a look.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-02, 21:22)gibxxi Wrote: Rob, does XBMC Backup also backup the uPnPServer.xml file too? I ask for the same reason as Crssi. As it's been stated elsewhere that this file is unique to the machine it was created on, and should not be migrated to another machine. doing so may cause conflicts if/when both machines become active at the same time, thus both attempting to broadcast the same upnp data.

Since this is a "generic" xml file in the userdata folder it is most likely being backed up with the "config files" option. I took a quick look at the file and see there is a uuid being generated that is probably unique to the computer it was generated on. If you remove it xbmc does auto regenerate it as long as the UPNP server is enabled. I don't know if there are other custom settings you can store in this file as there was little information in the wiki (that I could find) about it. Might be worth excluding from the backup archives since it will get regenerated anyway.

(2014-04-03, 10:31)Jarviss Wrote: Hi Rob.

Have you seen the latest version of xbmc USB wizard? It backs up the guisettings.xml and restores it perfectly. Doesn't need a restart after restore either. You should take a look.

Can you post a link to this? I did a google search for "xbmc usb wizard" and didn't find it. Curious about how they are accomplishing this. Thanks.

(2014-04-03, 15:24)robweber Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 21:22)gibxxi Wrote: Rob, does XBMC Backup also backup the uPnPServer.xml file too? I ask for the same reason as Crssi. As it's been stated elsewhere that this file is unique to the machine it was created on, and should not be migrated to another machine. doing so may cause conflicts if/when both machines become active at the same time, thus both attempting to broadcast the same upnp data.

Since this is a "generic" xml file in the userdata folder it is most likely being backed up with the "config files" option. I took a quick look at the file and see there is a uuid being generated that is probably unique to the computer it was generated on. If you remove it xbmc does auto regenerate it as long as the UPNP server is enabled. I don't know if there are other custom settings you can store in this file as there was little information in the wiki (that I could find) about it. Might be worth excluding from the backup archives since it will get regenerated anyway.

(2014-04-03, 10:31)Jarviss Wrote: Hi Rob.

Can you post a link to this? I did a google search for "xbmc usb wizard" and didn't find it. Curious about how they are accomplishing this. Thanks.

I'll pm a link.

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Crssi - 2014-04-03

Why cant you put the link here... I am interested too. Smile

Don't want to hijack robs thread.
You can follow my twitter. @jarv1ss

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - Crssi - 2014-04-03

Fair enough

RE: [Release] XBMC Backup - robweber - 2014-04-03

Just had a chance to look over the USB Wizard plugin. It appears that instead of restoring the guisettings.xml file it is just adding the missing skin settings by reading them from the old file and then using Skin.Set() to add them to the one running on the box. This is a very interesting way of updating the file.

The upside is that yes, you will get all of your skin related settings back. The downside is that any non-skin related settings like audio settings, video settings, services, timezone, location etc that are also stored in the guisettings.xml file are going to be missing. If there was a way to also insert these into the guisettings file then doing a "transfer" of settings instead of a replace might be a viable option.