Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - jibstar1uk - 2015-08-17

I have tried using this to backing up and restore kodi three times.

The addons and repositories are restored, but not the custom skin settings and custom skin backgrounds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - GTunney - 2015-08-17

(2015-08-17, 12:52)jibstar1uk Wrote: I have tried using this to backing up and restore kodi three times.

The addons and repositories are restored, but not the custom skin settings and custom skin backgrounds.

Have you tried the below?

Quote:Several settings aren't being restored, this includes views, weather, etc. How do I get these back?

GUISETTINGS.xml is a configuration file used heavily by XBMC for remembering GUI specific settings. Due to the fact that XBMC reads this file on startup, and writes from memory to this file on shutdown; it is not possible to restore this file while XBMC is running. You must manually move this file from your backup archives if you wish to restore it. User SouthMark has posted the following steps for restoring in the OpenELEC system where this is more difficult:

1. Run the restore of your backup
2. SSH using putty to the IP Address of your media centre username: root Password openelec
3. Type "systemctl stop xbmc.service" - Your media center machine should now go blank
5. Connect to your machine using WinSCP and copy the guisettings.xml file to the userdata folder (this is the guisettings.xml file from your backup), alternatively you can copy this file directly to an SMB share and use putty to move it to the right spot.
6. go back to your putty window and type "systemctl start xbmc.service"

(2015-08-17, 13:32)GTunney Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 12:52)jibstar1uk Wrote: I have tried using this to backing up and restore kodi three times.

Have you tried the below?

Quote:Several settings aren't being restored, this includes views, weather, etc. How do I get these back?

GUISETTINGS.xml is a configuration file used heavily by XBMC for remembering GUI specific settings. Due to the fact that XBMC reads this file on startup, and writes from memory to this file on shutdown; it is not possible to restore this file while XBMC is running. You must manually move this file from your backup archives if you wish to restore it. User SouthMark has posted the following steps for restoring in the OpenELEC system where this is more difficult:

1. Run the restore of your backup
2. SSH using putty to the IP Address of your media centre username: root Password openelec
3. Type "systemctl stop xbmc.service" - Your media center machine should now go blank
5. Connect to your machine using WinSCP and copy the guisettings.xml file to the userdata folder (this is the guisettings.xml file from your backup), alternatively you can copy this file directly to an SMB share and use putty to move it to the right spot.
6. go back to your putty window and type "systemctl start xbmc.service"

I am restoring a back up from a PC to a Fire TV, if I'm not mistaken Fire TV doesn't have Putty.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-08-17

Have you tried just pulling power to the box after the restore without doing anything else first??

(2015-08-17, 15:05)ed_davidson Wrote: Have you tried just pulling power to the box after the restore without doing anything else first??

I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a go.

(2015-08-17, 15:05)ed_davidson Wrote: Have you tried just pulling power to the box after the restore without doing anything else first??
Didn't think it would work, it but worked like a treat, thanks for the tip. Angel

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-08-17

Glad to help. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - Drdan - 2015-08-17

Recursive custom subdirectories worked perfectly. Thanks a million.
Dr Dan.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - jibstar1uk - 2015-08-18

I am trying to restore a backup of Kodi 15.1 on my PC, and I am trying to restore the guisettings file.

I am using Putty to connect via SSH but I keep getting a connection refused message, when I try to this.

I'm using the IP address under the system info section. Is that the correct address?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - MrNice - 2015-08-19

Hi,

Is there a way to get the add-on as zip file to install when I don't have Internet access?

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-08-19

https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/archive/master.zip

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - MrNice - 2015-08-20

Thanks ed_davidson.

Unfortunately when I try to install I have the error message:
Dependencies not met. Please contact add-on author.

I'd guess robweber will read this post.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-08-20

What version are you running?

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2015-08-20

When you do have Internet, you could always uninstall then reinstall in the usual way. After that is done go to Kodi/addons/packages and copy backup 1.0.6 to a flash drive. You will need to show hidden folders in KODI to see the ADDONS folder.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - MrNice - 2015-08-20

Version 1.0.6 from the page
https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup
download ZIP at the right hand.

The point is that when I start to install (install from ZIP), I get the error message and it stop.

Edit: Kodi Isengard 5.95.3