Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-02-25

Pm me and ill show you how.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - pusb87 - 2016-02-25

(2016-02-25, 16:15)plonka Wrote: This is one mega thread and has taken some wading through. I have a scenario that is slightly different to anything thus far discussed and am wondering if there is the means of doing it using “Backup”. I share my Kodi build with family and want to share a single backup source that I can host on a server ensuring the integrity of the build meaning I maintain the up-to-date version there for family to download and overwrite their existing version without the need for them to upload their Kodi build at all.

Is this something that can be done and if so how?

im not sure i follow what you are saying but you can generate a single compressed backup file ( via settings) resulting in a single zip file which can be used as the restore

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-02-25

He wants an easy way to share his backups. Download the addon dbmc. And go from there.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - plonka - 2016-02-26

(2015-08-26, 02:02)mattmartinolc Wrote: Thanks for all your help man. I am using your application unconventionally so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me making modifications to it. I am actually using it as an updater for media boxes. I make an archive of any changes or updates, then upload to a server, and then the users click update from their front menu and it goes straight to the restore function without them seeing backup/restore option, skipping over the first screen.

@ mattmartinolc

Your use of this is exactly what I'm looking for! Big Grin Big Grin

Care to share method and detail please, or perhaps a new thread might be more appropriate?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - misa - 2016-02-26

(2016-02-26, 13:21)plonka Wrote:
(2015-08-26, 02:02)mattmartinolc Wrote: Thanks for all your help man. I am using your application unconventionally so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me making modifications to it. I am actually using it as an updater for media boxes. I make an archive of any changes or updates, then upload to a server, and then the users click update from their front menu and it goes straight to the restore function without them seeing backup/restore option, skipping over the first screen.

@ mattmartinolc

Your use of this is exactly what I'm looking for! Big Grin Big Grin

Care to share method and detail please, or perhaps a new thread might be more appropriate?

Are we allowed to promote this?...Don't think so

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-02-26

(2016-02-26, 13:39)misa Wrote: Are we allowed to promote this?...Don't think so

Robweber doesn't care if his code is modified by anyone, that is what open source is all about.

@plonka you have 2 options:

Option1: use an ftp server. Upload your files to the server as individual files or better still as a zip.
Option2 use the Dbmc addon to download the files to USB or temp folder and then use the backup addon to restore them.
Option 2 is the simplest option, but both work fine.

I have no problem with the “Method 1” that you mention which is what mattmartinolc is doing, its the android / Kodi end that's the harder bit. With mattmartinolc having this down to a single click process including a forced Kodi restart at the end of the download/install he seems to have it well sorted.

Sorry I cant PM anyone, probably not enough posts or something like that, nothing personal Confused

Reading his post about the restart. It doesn't do a forced shutdown, just a normal shutdown. Anyway getting rid of the first screen is fine but you will still have to choose your restore file anyway. It won't be fully automated.

To do the restore from ftp use this format in he type path:

ftp://username:password@URL/FOLDER

Yes that’s my take on it too Ed, the ‘user’ may have a couple of builds to choose to restore from, not a hardship. I stand corrected, it appears to be two clicks plus a shutdown.

Actually if you recoded you can specify the restore to use and get it to restart combined with bypassing the first window that's 1 click. And now with Jarvis the skin settings are in the addon_data so a forced shutdown isn't necessary. I too would like to code this but don't know how. Robwebber is busy working on the addon now so we will see what is in his next update.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-02-29

Create your own wizard updater. I just did, works awesome, just one click.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - plonka - 2016-03-01

(2016-02-29, 22:03)ed_davidson Wrote: Create your own wizard updater. I just did, works awesome, just one click.

..and you did that how Mr. Ed? open source and all that....

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-01

(2016-03-01, 03:22)plonka Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 22:03)ed_davidson Wrote: Create your own wizard updater. I just did, works awesome, just one click.

..and you did that how Mr. Ed? open source and all that....

I don't like this guy but I used his youtube video and the template which was from LEE or PIPCAN at Noobsandnerds.com THANKS GUYS YOU ARE AWESOME
here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyEhPjRNYEI

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2016-03-05

Hi Rob,

I hope i'm not to late to request this but I had an idea. Since most users only want their favorites and library entries backed up, how about adding an option that only backs up certain addons like the list could be backup:
Istream script.module.universal (istream favs)
script.icechannel (Istream Library)
1Channel
TV online
SALTS
Super Favorites
etc, etc