Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-12

Allright.. got it to work.

But... after extracting the file asks me a question about the advanced file and that I should do this first, then restart.
I'm saying YES and restarting the device. At the start up a popup asks me if I want to continue. I press YES and it starts to do the restore.
But, the thing is that kodi hasn't recovered at all. If I look in the folders for the "temp-files" they are there with the zip file and so on.
But, it seem that it doesn't work. Why?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-12

Alright guys.. sorry for a lot of writing. But, I got everything to work now.
Just ONE last thing!

Since I'm not able to upload stuff from external source to my web host I'm doing it locally to my raspberry pi.
I then send the backed up file to my host. The problem is that the backed up file has the source locally which means that I have to change the source to the "ftp source".
Is there any way to change the source after the backup has been Done, in the backed up files?
Been searching through the non compressed backup files for the settings for the addon, but I can not find the source path.

Someone?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-13

(2017-01-12, 22:59)TaceN Wrote: Alright guys.. sorry for a lot of writing. But, I got everything to work now.
Just ONE last thing!

Since I'm not able to upload stuff from external source to my web host I'm doing it locally to my raspberry pi.
I then send the backed up file to my host. The problem is that the backed up file has the source locally which means that I have to change the source to the "ftp source".
Is there any way to change the source after the backup has been Done, in the backed up files?
Been searching through the non compressed backup files for the settings for the addon, but I can not find the source path.

Someone?

So just to make sure we're getting it all straight. You are making a backup on Kodi Instance A to a local folder. You're then restoring the backup on Kodi instance B. The problem is that the addon settings from A point to a different source folder so when you restore to B it overwrites the settings and you have to keep setting the source folder?

As long as you are backing up addon_data this will probably keep happening as it will pull in the settings.xml from the backup addon on A and put them in folder on B. If you wanted to manually hack this after the fact I would delete the settings.xml file in the addon_data/script.xbmcbackup folder in the compressed file. Would that work for you?

If you really wanted to get crazy - and had some python skills - you could script the deletion of the file, or it's exclusion entirely from the backup. Doing it from a compressed file would be a bit trickier but it could probably be done.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-13

(2017-01-13, 17:04)robweber Wrote:
(2017-01-12, 22:59)TaceN Wrote: Alright guys.. sorry for a lot of writing. But, I got everything to work now.
Just ONE last thing!

Someone?

So just to make sure we're getting it all straight. You are making a backup on Kodi Instance A to a local folder. You're then restoring the backup on Kodi instance B. The problem is that the addon settings from A point to a different source folder so when you restore to B it overwrites the settings and you have to keep setting the source folder?

As long as you are backing up addon_data this will probably keep happening as it will pull in the settings.xml from the backup addon on A and put them in folder on B. If you wanted to manually hack this after the fact I would delete the settings.xml file in the addon_data/script.xbmcbackup folder in the compressed file. Would that work for you?

If you really wanted to get crazy - and had some python skills - you could script the deletion of the file, or it's exclusion entirely from the backup. Doing it from a compressed file would be a bit trickier but it could probably be done.

I'm gonna try explaining this correctly! =D

Everything works just fine. I'm able to make the backup and so on locally to the storage/backup folder.
This backup then contains information about the source storage/backup which it should find the backup files in.
My problem is when I upload the file to a host and restoring a raspberry, it after contains just that source. Not the source to my server which it does from the first beginning when setup. I need to change the source after the backup has been made so it always will be my web server instead of locally.

Sorry if I'm explaining this like a m f:er! =D

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-13

So you mean like a Kodi Source - as in where your videos/music are? Not the source of where the backup is coming from right?

This file is sources.xml and it's in the userdata folder. It is included in the "config files" portion of the backup. If your config files (advancedsettings, etc) don't change often you could just exclude even pushing those files into your backup. You'll have to edit the file once on your RPI (or manually add the source) but then it shouldn't overwrite as long as you aren't putting that file in your backup anymore.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-13

(2017-01-13, 19:14)robweber Wrote: So you mean like a Kodi Source - as in where your videos/music are? Not the source of where the backup is coming from right?

This file is sources.xml and it's in the userdata folder. It is included in the "config files" portion of the backup. If your config files (advancedsettings, etc) don't change often you could just exclude even pushing those files into your backup. You'll have to edit the file once on your RPI (or manually add the source) but then it shouldn't overwrite as long as you aren't putting that file in your backup anymore.

No .. the source of where I'm suppose to save the backup zip file (Browse Remote Path). This path I've added in the file manager as a SFTP path.
This source is from the beginning locally. I'm then moving the file to another computer for uploading it to my web server. This source is then saved in the backup file somewhere.
When restoring the backup file the remote path is changed to the local path so. If I'm updating the recovery file it ends up being to the local path if the user will restore again. I need this to be the SFTP path.

So, when downloading the recovery backup file from my server it ends up being the locally Remote Path instead of the web host path.

The problem here is that the file contains the source to the locally stored backup file. So, I need to change the source to the SFTP source.
Therefore I need to edit some file, with the local source of the backup file to the source of my web host where I upload it.
Been searching a lot of different files connected to the backup addon but can not find it. Tried to change the settings.xml file in the userdata/addon_data/script.xbmcbackup/settings.xml file where I found the remote_path setting. But this didn't do it.

I hope that I'm clear enough with that explanation ...! (?)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-14

I know solved the problem...
Found the settings.xml file that I was looking for. Changed the storage/backup folder to the specific path I need it to be.
This is an SFTP-path though showing passwords and everything. Not so great maybe.
Will it work by just adding a www.mydomain.com/backup if I place it in a folder like that. Worth a try!

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-16

(2017-01-14, 16:49)TaceN Wrote: I know solved the problem...
Found the settings.xml file that I was looking for. Changed the storage/backup folder to the specific path I need it to be.
This is an SFTP-path though showing passwords and everything. Not so great maybe.
Will it work by just adding a www.mydomain.com/backup if I place it in a folder like that. Worth a try!

It will work for restores but only if your hosting provider (or your webserver settings if your own server) allow directory listing of a folder. this is required for the addon to pull a list of files/folders for the restore portion.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-16

I solved it by using another raspberry pi as a ftp server! Smile

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - onesolo - 2017-01-17

Does anyone knows if restore from a SPMC backup to the latest 17 Kodi, finally works?! A few months ago, I couldn't restore anything...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - glenr - 2017-01-17

If I backup from a box with 17 on it and restore to a new box with 17 on it, what happens to the addons already on the new box? Say I have addon A, B,C and D on the old box and addon A and B on the new one, what is the result after a restore?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-17

(2017-01-17, 17:12)glenr Wrote: If I backup from a box with 17 on it and restore to a new box with 17 on it, what happens to the addons already on the new box? Say I have addon A, B,C and D on the old box and addon A and B on the new one, what is the result after a restore?

Well, I tried this out actually. But on a 16 version.
I tried to both add addons and remove addons.
Worked fine.. don't know about 17 though since it's soooo many bugs still. Don't want to use it!

(2017-01-17, 17:22)TaceN Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 17:12)glenr Wrote: If I backup from a box with 17 on it and restore to a new box with 17 on it, what happens to the addons already on the new box? Say I have addon A, B,C and D on the old box and addon A and B on the new one, what is the result after a restore?

Worked fine.. don't know about 17 though since it's soooo many bugs still. Don't want to use it!

Sorry, I don't quite understand your reply. Forgetting about 17, what was left after the restore, was it just the addons that were on the original box or was it the original plus what was already on the new?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - TaceN - 2017-01-17

(2017-01-17, 17:28)glenr Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 17:22)TaceN Wrote:

Sorry, I don't quite understand your reply. Forgetting about 17, what was left after the restore, was it just the addons that were on the original box or was it the original plus what was already on the new?

Everything was there.
I made a backup to my ftp. A backup file just like I wanted it to be with settings, addons etc.
I started another raspberry pi in this case. This machine had the same OS in it but not the same addons.
Added the backup addon and my FTP source in to the addon.
Downloaded and restored the backup file that was previously created.

After the restore the second pi was restored just like the first one.
One thing though.. the GUISETTINGS.xml will not be backed up.
Good thing to know!

(2017-01-17, 17:32)TaceN Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 17:28)glenr Wrote:
(2017-01-17, 17:22)TaceN Wrote: Well, I tried this out actually. But on a 16 version.

Everything was there.
I made a backup to my ftp. A backup file just like I wanted it to be with settings, addons etc.
I started another raspberry pi in this case. This machine had the same OS in it but not the same addons.
Added the backup addon and my FTP source in to the addon.
Downloaded and restored the backup file that was previously created.

After the restore the second pi was restored just like the first one.
One thing though.. the GUISETTINGS.xml will not be backed up.
Good thing to know!

Thanks for trying to help me but I am not getting the answer to my question, which is, what happens to the currently installed addons on the new box. Did your new raspberry pi already have addons installed and if so what happened to them? My new box has many addons already installed, some are the same as the old box and some that are different. You say " the second pi was restored just like the first one". Does this mean that whatever addons were already on the new box were deleted? And what happens to duplicates?