Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - onesolo - 2017-01-26

(2017-01-25, 21:38)robweber Wrote:
(2017-01-24, 22:14)gillmacca Wrote: Working on amazon fire tv, but still getting the message 'not all files were copied'

Usually this means the files were in use somehow - might be related to a specific addon. Debug log would help.

(2017-01-25, 13:04)onesolo Wrote: I just made a second chance to backup.
Made a backup on SPMC, with v1.09 and then restore it on latest Kodi 17 RC3 with v1.09.
Not everything got well.
Add-ons were all disabled. Anyone knows why?
My movie library was not set. Series library was set.
The rest I think was fine, specially the addons config backup.
and can you overlook the library problem?!

On Kodi 17 the addons are not enabled by default after the restore. It's on the "todo" list.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-31

I pushed something to the repo today that I think will be of interest to anyone trying to use Dropbox or Google Drive as a backup target. Trying to find the authorize URLs for getting these to work is always a big pain, and in some cases almost impossible. To ease the user experience I've implemented a way to encode these urls using the TinyURL service. Now they are displayed in a dialog box right within Kodi that you can easily type into a browser and complete the process. I've also moved the authorization process to the Settings page of the addon so you can perform it, and know it's working, before attempting to run a backup. This seemed like a more natural place for this process to happen.

Before pushing this to the repo I'm curious if it is actually working for anyone other than myself. If anyone has time to pull version 1.1.0 from the repo and test the authorization process I'd appreciate it.Thanks!

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - MB1968 - 2017-01-31

Hi Rob nice to hear that you're trying to implement cloud backup functions. If you can get it to work, than I would be pleased if you could add Mega to Backup for cloud backups. Mega offers 50gb storage space. I'm still on 1.06 so I can't test it.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-01-31

(2017-01-31, 17:46)MB1968 Wrote: Hi Rob nice to hear that you're trying to implement cloud backup functions. If you can get it to work, than I would be pleased if you could add Mega to Backup for cloud backups. Mega offers 50gb storage space. I'm still on 1.06 so I can't test it.

Do you know if they offer any kind of an API? For both Dropbox and Google Drive I wrote some wrapper classes for their official Python files.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - MB1968 - 2017-01-31

No idea. But I'm able to upload my files on Android within Solid Explorer to Mega. The developer of Solid Explorer has written a plugin for this functionality. I guess there must be a work around for this available.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - lawful - 2017-02-02

Hello, it can't be installed on 17 using iOS device. Any idea?

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-02-02

(2017-02-02, 04:55)lawful Wrote: Hello, it can't be installed on 17 using iOS device. Any idea?

"Can't install" is a little vague. Is it not available in the repo, does it throw an error on install, it just never dowloads? More info please!

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - Pr.Sinister - 2017-02-03

When i saw the new version, i was ecstatic!

But then i tried it and unfortunately it still backups Thumbnail folders that are in other profiles even with the setting disabled

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - icerno78 - 2017-02-03

on my Himedia Q5-Pro-Box i had to upgrade from android 5.1 and kodi 16.1 to android 7. That firmware-upgrade includes kodi 17.
I tried a restore from my 16.1 backup, but allmost all informations are missing now. It doesnt have any information any more, if a folder in the mediasources contains movies or tv-shows and is isnt flagged anymore if the move/tv-show has been watched or not.

Is there a way to get these information working again or do i really have to flag every single item all over again? (Got my Android box only 21 days ago and took my nearly 10 days :-( )

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - DeJuan N. Onley - 2017-02-04

It bears repeating because it hasn't been mentioned in a while, but this addon will not back up your database if you are using MySQL/MariaDB. It really should be mentioned in the description somewhere since no errors will appear, but none of your library information will be backed up or restored. Of course, if you are using one of these methods, you should be backing up your database separately anyway (thankfully I was so it wasn't a big deal). Perhaps a dialog box to remind MySQL users of this limitation when doing backups? Or gray out the database option altogether for such users?

Edit: Now that I think about it, you wouldn't want to disable the option. Since most MySQL users are only using it for storing MyVideos and MyMusic databases, this will still backup the others such as Textures. But a dialog box reminding them to backup MySQL separately might be useful. Here I was scratching my head as to why my libraries were empty when I realized the database backup option was only backing up the SQLite databases and not doing a MySQL dump. Since I had separate MariaDB backups, this wasn't a problem, but I can just imagine someone else screaming that they lost all their libraries. It really needs to be made more clear to the users IMHO.

[Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - ed_davidson - 2017-02-04

(2017-02-03, 21:32)icerno78 Wrote: on my Himedia Q5-Pro-Box i had to upgrade from android 5.1 and kodi 16.1 to android 7. That firmware-upgrade includes kodi 17.
I tried a restore from my 16.1 backup, but allmost all informations are missing now. It doesnt have any information any more, if a folder in the mediasources contains movies or tv-shows and is isnt flagged anymore if the move/tv-show has been watched or not.

Is there a way to get these information working again or do i really have to flag every single item all over again? (Got my Android box only 21 days ago and took my nearly 10 days :-( )

Your MyVideosXX.db in the Database folder contains all the watched flags. Copy that to the new box.

Also you'll need to copy the folder of all the .strm files where ever that are.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-02-05

(2017-02-03, 05:58)Pr.Sinister Wrote: When i saw the new version, i was ecstatic!

But then i tried it and unfortunately it still backups Thumbnail folders that are in other profiles even with the setting disabled

This is still on the roadmap. I'm trying to clean up any lingering issues and focus new features for a Krypton release. https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/issues/75

(2017-02-04, 14:51)DeJuan N. Onley Wrote: It bears repeating because it hasn't been mentioned in a while, but this addon will not back up your database if you are using MySQL/MariaDB. It really should be mentioned in the description somewhere since no errors will appear, but none of your library information will be backed up or restored. Of course, if you are using one of these methods, you should be backing up your database separately anyway (thankfully I was so it wasn't a big deal). Perhaps a dialog box to remind MySQL users of this limitation when doing backups? Or gray out the database option altogether for such users?

Edit: Now that I think about it, you wouldn't want to disable the option. Since most MySQL users are only using it for storing MyVideos and MyMusic databases, this will still backup the others such as Textures. But a dialog box reminding them to backup MySQL separately might be useful. Here I was scratching my head as to why my libraries were empty when I realized the database backup option was only backing up the SQLite databases and not doing a MySQL dump. Since I had separate MariaDB backups, this wasn't a problem, but I can just imagine someone else screaming that they lost all their libraries. It really needs to be made more clear to the users IMHO.

This is a good point. When selecting databases for the backup you do get all the other datbase types (Addons.db, Textures.db, etc) but when using an external database for videos/music you do not get those. I don't like the idea of excessive pop-up warning the user but in this case if advancedsettings.xml contains external database settings it might be a good idea to do a pop-up of some type so they understand this. Thanks for pointing this out!

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - sim099 - 2017-02-06

(2017-01-25, 21:38)robweber Wrote:
(2017-01-24, 22:14)gillmacca Wrote: Working on amazon fire tv, but still getting the message 'not all files were copied'
Usually this means the files were in use somehow - might be related to a specific addon. Debug log would help.

I'm having the same issue, but it seems to go away when I uncheck the "Config Files" option.

Posted a debug log here: http://pastebin.com/QWcKvCpC

From the log, it looks like the script is attempting to create the root of my hard drive; "E:\"... Huh

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-02-06

(2017-02-06, 15:35)sim099 Wrote: I'm having the same issue, but it seems to go away when I uncheck the "Config Files" option.

Posted a debug log here: http://pastebin.com/QWcKvCpC

From the log, it looks like the script is attempting to create the root of my hard drive; "E:\"... Huh

I think you're right. The error you're seeing is related to the "XFILE::CDirectory::Create - Error creating E:\" message. This gets a bit into the code here but the explanation is as follows:

When the addon tries to write a file it passes the file write command to a filesystem handler and gives it the source file and destination on where to copy it. This handler returns a boolean true/false value on if this operation was successful. If False is sent back for any operation in the life of the backup, you see the "some files didn't copy error". Now, for everything except cloud storage destinations this handler is just an alias for the xbmcvfs python library. Basically it's asking Kodi's underlying filesystem code to do the work. That XFILE error is actually originating from Kodi's C++ class.

If you stuck with me this far you're probably thinking - "well then how do you fix it?". I don't have a good answer there. Since Kodi is throwing the error and just passing the boolean value back the Backup Addon is just trusting that the error is valid. In this case it isn't, the file still gets written right? I'll have to investigate and post some questions to Kodi Devs on the issue. I'll reference your log file. Please let me know ASAP if I'm in correct and the files are NOT being written.

RE: [Release] Backup (formally XBMC Backup) - MountainSlide - 2017-02-14

(2017-01-31, 17:39)robweber Wrote: I pushed something to the repo today that I think will be of interest to anyone trying to use Dropbox or Google Drive as a backup target. Trying to find the authorize URLs for getting these to work is always a big pain, and in some cases almost impossible. To ease the user experience I've implemented a way to encode these urls using the TinyURL service. Now they are displayed in a dialog box right within Kodi that you can easily type into a browser and complete the process. I've also moved the authorization process to the Settings page of the addon so you can perform it, and know it's working, before attempting to run a backup. This seemed like a more natural place for this process to happen.

Before pushing this to the repo I'm curious if it is actually working for anyone other than myself. If anyone has time to pull version 1.1.0 from the repo and test the authorization process I'd appreciate it.Thanks!

Hi Rob,

I am having great difficulty setting up my Backup to either Dropbox or Google Drive on an Amazon Fire TV Stick. I am running the stable release of Krypton. So I want to pull version 1.1.0 (to give its new feature noted above a try) from the GitHub repo but cannot find the file on your GitHub. What am I doing wrong? Thank you,

Ron