Kodi Community Forum
[Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) (/showthread.php?tid=129499)

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - screwdriverjockey - 2017-03-31

Guys I got the backup from the kodi repo for use on my android tv box I scroll down to open settings in backup and browse path to my removable usb drive, then right arrowed over to file selection to make sure all were selected. I see a android & lost.dir folders on my usb drive. Then I go back and start backup. It looks like files are going somewhere and when the status bar completed I removed the drive & inserted in my pc to view the files, but there is nothing there, except the 2 empty directories. Any ideasHuh?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - msnow - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 14:36)screwdriverjockey Wrote: Guys I got the backup from the kodi repo for use on my android tv box I scroll down to open settings in backup and browse path to my removable usb drive, then right arrowed over to file selection to make sure all were selected. I see a android & lost.dir folders on my usb drive. Then I go back and start backup. It looks like files are going somewhere and when the status bar completed I removed the drive & inserted in my pc to view the files, but there is nothing there, except the 2 empty directories. Any ideasHuh?

See previous post #1470.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - screwdriverjockey - 2017-03-31

Ok where do I find the path /storage/6016-98a8/lost.dir/ ? also i see no way to cut & paste with a remote control from the box. Please understand this is the 1st time ever trying a backup. Might be quicker to put indigo on my new box & just let it set everything up. Thx for the help.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - DarrenHill - 2017-03-31

If you put that banned add-on (wiki) junk on there then you're on your own when it infests your system, as it violates our forum rules (wiki) on piracy amongst other things.

Don't say we didn't warn you.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - msnow - 2017-03-31

(2017-03-31, 16:40)screwdriverjockey Wrote: Ok where do I find the path /storage/6016-98a8/lost.dir/ ? also i see no way to cut & paste with a remote control from the box. Please understand this is the 1st time ever trying a backup. Might be quicker to put indigo on my new box & just let it set everything up. Thx for the help.

Yeah, @DarrenHill wasn't very helpful. You'll need a third party tool such as Total Commander or ES File Explorer that will allow you to see and write to both your local storage folder and your external USB drive. Another backup option is adblink which runs on your PC or Mac.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - mattmartinolc - 2017-04-04

Is there a way to get the cron scheduler to launch the restore function rather than the backup function on a schedule?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - yellow1144 - 2017-04-04

Hi Everybody.. Thought I'd try again.. Backup still isn't working for me here. It was then stopped. Any thoughts?

(2017-03-06, 20:05)yellow1144 Wrote: I discovered that backups have been failing for me for over a month. Don't really know why. Does this give anyone any ideas?
It had been working fine. I did recently upgrade to 17.0 but the backups were failing before that.
Running on Win7/64 - 24GB RAM no shortage of hard drive space.

Quote:11:45:49.568 T:16388 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.9: Writing file: -C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons/resource.images.weathericons.hd.animated
11:45:49.569 T:16388 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.9: Writing file: -C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons/resource.images.weathericons.hd.animated/resources
11:45:49.569 T:16388 DEBUG: script.xbmcbackup-1.0.9: Writing file: C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons/resource.images.weathericons.hd.animated/resources/Textures.xbt
11:46:01.264 T:16388 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.MemoryError'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\default.py", line 73, in <module>
backup.run(mode)
File "C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\backup.py", line 256, in run
filesCopied = self.backupFiles(fileGroup['files'],self.xbmc_vfs,self.remote_vfs)
File "C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\backup.py", line 482, in backupFiles
wroteFile = dest.put(aFile,dest.root_path + aFile[len(source.root_path):])
File "C:\Users\otherUser\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.xbmcbackup\resources\lib\vfs.py", line 97, in put
self.zip.writestr(utils.encode(dest),aFile.read())
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\zipfile.py", line 1240, in writestr
bytes = co.compress(bytes) + co.flush()
MemoryError
-->End of Python script error report<--
11:46:01.279 T:16796 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogNotification.xml) ------
11:46:01.383 T:16388 INFO: Python script stopped
11:46:01.383 T:16388 DEBUG: Thread LanguageInvoker 16388 terminating
11:46:01.652 T:16796 DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (DialogExtendedProgressBar.xml) -----

Also, when backup fails the notices at the top of my screen showing which files are being backed up just stays there. The backup has crashed but the notice is there. It is stuck showing that it is adding - Addons/Resource.images.weathericons.HD.Animated/REsources.

That folder contains a 169MB Textures file. This was only added in the last week, long after the backups were failing.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-04-05

(2017-04-04, 21:47)mattmartinolc Wrote: Is there a way to get the cron scheduler to launch the restore function rather than the backup function on a schedule?

I'm guessing if it did this you'd want to auto select the restore file as well right? If you select restore that's the first thing you'd see is what file to do the restore operation on. You could get this to work but with the help of another addon. Try looking at Cron For Kodi . This would let you schedule a process via the Backup addon's Scripting methods and have that kick off. This addon is meant to be a backup/restore operation - not a way to pass configs around or auto sync stuff so I won't add that to the main addon. The Scripting functions are the best you'll get.

(2017-04-04, 22:44)yellow1144 Wrote: Hi Everybody.. Thought I'd try again.. Backup still isn't working for me here. It was then stopped. Any thoughts?

(2017-03-06, 20:05)yellow1144 Wrote: I discovered that backups have been failing for me for over a month. Don't really know why. Does this give anyone any ideas?
It had been working fine. I did recently upgrade to 17.0 but the backups were failing before that.
Running on Win7/64 - 24GB RAM no shortage of hard drive space.

Also, when backup fails the notices at the top of my screen showing which files are being backed up just stays there. The backup has crashed but the notice is there. It is stuck showing that it is adding - Addons/Resource.images.weathericons.HD.Animated/REsources.

That folder contains a 169MB Textures file. This was only added in the last week, long after the backups were failing.

That is a pretty tricky on. The error is something in the Python zip library. I did some searching and found some stuff regarding reading/writing large files within zips using the Python lib but nothing definitive. It is probably due to the size of the file in some way, and a limitation of the library. Try doing it without compression and see what happens (locally).

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - yellow1144 - 2017-04-06

Quote:That is a pretty tricky on. The error is something in the Python zip library. I did some searching and found some stuff regarding reading/writing large files within zips using the Python lib but nothing definitive. It is probably due to the size of the file in some way, and a limitation of the library. Try doing it without compression and see what happens (locally).

I should have thought of that. It did work without compression. I ran it again with compression and it still choked on the same 169MB texture file. Backup just froze on that spot, looking like it was taking forever to run.

So running without compression will suffice but the backup is almost 5GB without it. It would be nice to get compression working again.

Thanks Rob for looking into it.Big Grin

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-04-06

That at least gives some focus to where the problem is. I'll try some things on larger files on my own system. Online a read a few posts regarding the way in which the files are being added to the zip could make a difference.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - newbz0324 - 2017-04-06

I have tried various times by following your step by step instructions for both dropbox and google drive but for some odd reason cannot get through to where it will give me an authorization code to be able to authorize for back up. I can only think that I am of course either missing a step or doing something wrong. As my name can give you a hint I am new to doing this so I hope I can get some help.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-04-06

(2017-04-06, 16:58)newbz0324 Wrote: I have tried various times by following your step by step instructions for both dropbox and google drive but for some odd reason cannot get through to where it will give me an authorization code to be able to authorize for back up. I can only think that I am of course either missing a step or doing something wrong. As my name can give you a hint I am new to doing this so I hope I can get some help.

Are you following these instructions? They are the most current. The basic process is make sure your either Google or Dropbox IDs are entered correctly in the addon settings, and then hit Authorize. You should see the tinyurl that you need to enter in a browser (can be on the same computer if you can minimize Kodi without closing the dialog). Once you go through the authorization process hit OK on the dialog in Kodi.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - RomMon - 2017-04-09

Performed a restore of a backup I made with LibreElec 7.0.2 (Kodi 16.1), on LE 7.0.2.

But after the restore I'm missing not only things related to guisettings.xml like Weather info, Video add-ons shortcuts.
(like I found is explained in FAQ number 1), but also files that are in the backup, that don't get restored.

For example the following directories/files are missing, but are present in the backup file (.zip):
Code:
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/net.rieter.xot/*
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.*
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.hts/settings.xml
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.module.simplecache/simplecache.db
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.skin.helper.service/*
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.xbmc.debug.log/settings.xml
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.tvheadend/*

From my custom directory /storage/.config/ has not been restored.
Code:
/storage/.config/modprobe.d/disable-brcmxxxx-for-wifi.conf
/storage/.config/modprobe.d/disable-zarlink-for-dvbt.conf

I didn't go through the whole list, but more must be missing.

I also have an advancedsettings.xml so the restore is done with a reboot in between, but continued normally.
I followed the messages up to 100% restore, and didn't see any unexpected messages.
(didn't look at kodi.log during the restore).
Edit (2017-04-14): the missing files above was caused using the default File Selection configuration. So even if the backup contains the files, if a selection is disabled in the config, it will not be restored.

(A 'restore completed' message would be nice.)
The first message, immediately after the 100% restore was
Quote:"No PVR add-ons could be found, You need a tuner, backend software, and an add-on for the backend to be able to use PVR. Please visit http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR to learn more."
The add-ons are present. But settings are empty (e.g. YouTube, Backup).

Edit (2017-04-14): also related to above mentioned reason.

Kodi system settings like language, region, timezone are restored.

Performing a restore with the LibreElec backup/restore option worked without an issue.
But I would like to have Backup working, so I can schedule a backup e.g. each week.

Edit (2017-04-14): Below differences still apply.
I did a detailed compare between a backup made by LE, and Backup, but I only see some minor differences (LE-7.0.2 and LE-7.0.3):
(Edit, 2017-04-11, don't know if symlinks could cause issues.)
  • LE backup also contains directory /storage/.cache/
  • LE backup also has 3 symbolic links in the customer directory /storage/.config/:
    (/storage/.config/pulse/b63ff30980d44312a5400fc2c3c58fcf-runtime -> /tmp/pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n,
    /storage/.config/system.d/kodi.target.wants/service.multimedia.tvheadend.service -> /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/system.d/service.multimedia.tvheadend.service,
    /storage/.config/system.d/service.multimedia.tvheadend.service -> /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/system.d/service.multimedia.tvheadend.service)
  • LE backup also has .gitignore files:
    (addons/script.keymap/.gitignore, addons/script.module.urlresolver/resources/.gitignore, addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/.gitignore, addons/script.xbmcbackup/resources/lib/.gitignore, addons/service.watchdog/.gitignore, addons/webinterface.chorus/lib/flatui/.gitignore)
  • LE backup also contains directory /storage/temp/
  • LE backup also contains the file /storage/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.tvheadend/.lock

Edit (2017-04-09): Just performed another restore with a tail on kodi.log. I don't see error messages regarding the missing files.
(e.g. no results searching for addon_data or modprobe.d)

It does generate 15k lines of (mostly) files that are getting restored.
Edit (2017-04-14): Next still applies, but additional info might be helpful to know which backup was restored.
The restore path looks to contain "temp/201703111404", but this is not correct. The actual path is without this part.

kodi.log output:
(line 1 to 4999) https://paste.ee/p/T5d4E
(line 5000 to 9999) https://paste.ee/p/oVW9C
(line 10000 to end) https://paste.ee/p/6TFw4

Looking for a reason why the restore is unsuccessful?
Edit (2017-04-14): cause found, see above mentioned reason.

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - CiNcH - 2017-04-10

Hey guys,

which config file stores the customized main menu? It looks like it is not backed up for Krypton and Leia. Am I missing something?

RE: [Release] Backup (formerly XBMC Backup) - robweber - 2017-04-11

(2017-04-09, 22:43)RomMon Wrote: Performed a restore of a backup I made with LibreElec 7.0.2 (Kodi 16.1), on LE 7.0.2.

Thanks for the detailed information. Give me a bit to review it all and see if I can come up with something.

(2017-04-10, 16:20)CiNcH Wrote: Hey guys,

which config file stores the customized main menu? It looks like it is not backed up for Krypton and Leia. Am I missing something?

Not sure what you mean here - is the customized menu specific to a certain skin? I like to use reFocus and I know the menu for that skin is using the "skin shortcuts" addon, so the customized parts of it are stored in the addon_data directory for that addon. I imagine something similar is going on with what you're doing. Try just backing up the addon_data and see what you get.