Kodi Community Forum
I just don't quite understand this application... - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: I just don't quite understand this application... (/showthread.php?tid=130730)

Pages: 1 2 3

I just don't quite understand this application... - dynamite - 2012-05-05

So I downloaded this "complete media center" solution and gave it a test drive on my laptop. I have never been more frustrated by a new application before. Can someone please explain to me why:

1. I do not see a volume control by default? This is a media application, right? Changing volume is a very common action, right? So, who agreed to this idiotic UI design where one of the most used control is missing?
    My first instinct was to use the mouse wheel to change the volume but that did not help. I had to google to realize that "+" and "-" does that. Come on, its not Vim for godsake.
  2. There is no easy/direct way to switch from Full screen to Normal mode while playing videos.
    I had to click that little icon on bottom-right, click my way sequentially through the options! Ever heard of usability testing?
  3. I can't amplify audio for music playback also? The setting is available for video only. And no Equalizer. Doesn't make any sense to me.
  4. I cannot view the list of music files and the playback controls at the same time. I need to sway the mouse to the left for that. That's just ridiculous.
Jazzy interface doesn't maketh a good software.

Uninstalls the application with beautiful interface.

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - Mudislander - 2012-05-05

I heard that the floods had washed a bunch of trolls out from under their bridges

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - Chris! - 2012-05-05

Quote:This is a media application, right?
Nope, as you said at the start of your rant it is a "complete media centre". So I think this is where your confusion has come from... that said:

1) Usually you would adjust the system/tv volume so XBMC software volume is hidden

2) Use the short key that makes an app full screen or not (apple key + f on mac). I'm not sure what "normal mode" refers to, or what this refers to:
Quote:I had to click that little icon on bottom-right, click my way sequentially through the options! Ever heard of usability testing?

3) XBMC is in the process of improving the audio engine - part of the reason it isn't in music is that you don't want DRC on music.

4) No it's not - most people use a remote control.

Being insulting rather than constructive doesn't mean you'll be taken as seriously. XBMC always has room to improve and respond to feedback, the project relies on people donating their free time to improve the software so pleasant and constructive feedback is more appropriate I feel.

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - Martijn - 2012-05-05

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - joejoeaz - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 15:13)dynamite Wrote: So I downloaded this "complete media center" solution and gave it a test drive on my laptop. I have never been more frustrated by a new application before. Can someone please explain to me why:

1. I do not see a volume control by default? This is a media application, right? Changing volume is a very common action, right? So, who agreed to this idiotic UI design where one of the most used control is missing?
    My first instinct was to use the mouse wheel to change the volume but that did not help. I had to google to realize that "+" and "-" does that. Come on, its not Vim for godsake.
  2. There is no easy/direct way to switch from Full screen to Normal mode while playing videos.
    I had to click that little icon on bottom-right, click my way sequentially through the options! Ever heard of usability testing?
  3. I can't amplify audio for music playback also? The setting is available for video only. And no Equalizer. Doesn't make any sense to me.
  4. I cannot view the list of music files and the playback controls at the same time. I need to sway the mouse to the left for that. That's just ridiculous.
Jazzy interface doesn't maketh a good software.

Uninstalls the application with beautiful interface.

It sounds as if you're missing the point of the program. You're using it on your laptop, to manage/view your media. For that use XBMC makes slightly less sense. I have XBMC on a PC connected to my TV in the living room, the sound goes through the HDMI port to my 5.1 receiver.

Most sound adjustment is done via the Receiver's remote control.

The backslash key seems to toggle full screen in Windows.

In regard to the "Jazzy Interface", there might actually be a skin called Jazzy, or Jazz, but I'm assuming that's not what you're referring to. The interface for XBMC changes quite a bit with different skins. You'll want to experiment until you find the skin that works best for you. Generally speaking however the skins are designed for a user sitting +/- 10 feet away from the screen, and controlling it with a remote control. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, as the $5 PC remote I bought is ergonomically offensive.

I don't think anyone has heard of this "usability testing" idea you've come up with. I'll bet you could make a pretty penny selling the idea to software companies! Maybe you can even name it after yourself, and call it "Dynamite" instead of "Usability testing". Would you like to payroll the "Dynamite" team?
A lot of people (I'm sadly not one of them) devote a considerable amount of their time to make XBMC possible, to the best of my understanding, for free. (I know I didn't pay for XBMC, and it's not ad supported).

You might want to come out of the gate with a different approach.If you were one of those people who contributed to XBMC, would you really pay much heed to some blow-hard who came onto your forum and told you your work (that you shared with the community out of the kindness of your heart) was crap?

In summary, if your question was in earnest, I have done my best to address your points. If your question was just to make yourself feel cooler than the software you didn't understand, than kindly take a long walk off a short pier Smile

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - gabbott - 2012-05-05

As a media center it has a design focus of a machine being connected to a display such as a television and be controlled via a remote. (yes, I realize it can also be controlled by keyboard and mouse as well) Point is, it can work very well from a usability standpoint in the right setting.

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - pecinko - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 15:13)dynamite Wrote: [*]I can't amplify audio for music playback also? The setting is available for video only. And no Equalizer. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree equalizer would be nice to have. Not only for music but for videos with crappy audio as well.

As for the rest of the post I believe you would feel the similar way if you could plug a mouse into your tv set and try to navigate menus. It would be much better if xbmc would have it's own remote with xbmc style labeled buttons.

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - dynamite - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 15:48)pseudo7 Wrote:
Quote:This is a media application, right?
Nope, as you said at the start of your rant it is a "complete media centre". So I think this is where your confusion has come from... that said:

Being insulting rather than constructive doesn't mean you'll be taken as seriously. XBMC always has room to improve and respond to feedback, the project relies on people donating their free time to improve the software so pleasant and constructive feedback is more appropriate I feel.

Thank you for your response.
Believe me, I had brought down my anger/frustration level several notches down so as not to come across as a troll. Apologies if I did.

Maybe I should have read the About XBMC page with a grain of salt: "While XBMC functions very well as a standard media player application for your computer..."
(2012-05-05, 15:51)Martijn Wrote: Image

This is called rubbing salt on the wounds.
If you expect users to RTFM even for the most fundamental and standard aspects of an application, somewhere something is very wrong.

Re: I just don't quite understand this application... - gabbott - 2012-05-05

To be fair, you've come across that you've completely written off XBMC. If it doesn't suit you then it doesn't. But the developers do listen to constructive feedback, I've seen that many times.

Perhaps list out your expectations of a media center and we can help.

(2012-05-05, 16:31)joejoeaz Wrote: It sounds as if you're missing the point of the program. You're using it on your laptop, to manage/view your media. For that use XBMC makes slightly less sense. I have XBMC on a PC connected to my TV in the living room, the sound goes through the HDMI port to my 5.1 receiver.

Then I must admit that I was slightly misled by the About XBMC page: "While XBMC functions very well as a standard media player application for your computer..."

(2012-05-05, 16:31)joejoeaz Wrote: In regard to the "Jazzy Interface", there might actually be a skin called Jazzy, or Jazz, but I'm assuming that's not what you're referring to. The interface for XBMC changes quite a bit with different skins. You'll want to experiment until you find the skin that works best for you. Generally speaking however the skins are designed for a user sitting +/- 10 feet away from the screen, and controlling it with a remote control. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, as the $5 PC remote I bought is ergonomically offensive.
I used Jazzy in its most literal sense (Showy, flashy) Smile

(2012-05-05, 16:31)joejoeaz Wrote: I don't think anyone has heard of this "usability testing" idea you've come up with. I'll bet you could make a pretty penny selling the idea to software companies! Maybe you can even name it after yourself, and call it "Dynamite" instead of "Usability testing". Would you like to payroll the "Dynamite" team?
It's a fairly well established practice in software development and testing. See Usability Testing

(2012-05-05, 16:31)joejoeaz Wrote: A lot of people (I'm sadly not one of them) devote a considerable amount of their time to make XBMC possible, to the best of my understanding, for free. (I know I didn't pay for XBMC, and it's not ad supported).

You might want to come out of the gate with a different approach.If you were one of those people who contributed to XBMC, would you really pay much heed to some blow-hard who came onto your forum and told you your work (that you shared with the community out of the kindness of your heart) was crap?

In summary, if your question was in earnest, I have done my best to address your points. If your question was just to make yourself feel cooler than the software you didn't understand, than kindly take a long walk off a short pier Smile

I really appreciate you taking time to respond. As I mentioned in another post, I really held myself back while posting my rant so as not to offend others. Apologies if I still came across as hostile.

(2012-05-05, 18:37)gabbott Wrote: To be fair, you've come across that you've completely written off XBMC. If it doesn't suit you then it doesn't. But the developers do listen to constructive feedback, I've seen that many times.

Frankly, yes I have given up on XBMC as a media player on my laptop.
In hindsight, spending several frustrating minutes searching for the volume control did it. After that it was a downhill ride all the way.

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - Martijn - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 18:51)dynamite Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 18:37)gabbott Wrote: To be fair, you've come across that you've completely written off XBMC. If it doesn't suit you then it doesn't. But the developers do listen to constructive feedback, I've seen that many times.

Frankly, yes I have given up on XBMC as a media player on my laptop.
In hindsight, spending several frustrating minutes searching for the volume control did it. After that it was a downhill ride all the way.

OH MY GOD. Several minutes Image
Give that guy a medal.

(2012-05-05, 18:38)dynamite Wrote: It's a fairly well established practice in software development and testing. See Usability Testing

So the many many many thousands of users are rocket engineers who have been using XBMC for years?

Even my little niece can operate XBMC within couple of minutes

Edit:
Fixed the typo Wink

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - Chris! - 2012-05-05

*neice

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - darthdiablo - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 19:30)pseudo7 Wrote: *neice

*niece

RE: I just don't quite understand this application... - Hitcher - 2012-05-05

*niece