Kodi Community Forum
Linux i3 Quiet build comments welcome - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Linux i3 Quiet build comments welcome (/showthread.php?tid=131085)

i3 Quiet build comments welcome - Plecebo - 2012-05-09

The plan here is to use xbmcbuntu or another linux variant with as little sound as possible. Output from the HTPC to my AVR and then to my TV all via HDMI. I play 1080P blueray rips, and will eventually want to take advantage of bitstreaming capabilities when they are a bit more mainstream to XBMC. I don't have much desire for 3D movies, but don't want to limit myself either. I play mostly HD movies and TV shows, but would be interested in adding HD YouTube and Hulu content as well to my future builds.

I'll not use windows, so Linux combatability is a big point here.

I'm moving from an Ion 330 build, so a big upgrade for me.

Borrowing heavily from others who have gone before me I've selected the following components.

Case:APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I32105
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1600C9
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC064B/WW 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

For now I'll try the Intel 3000 integrated graphics and see if I run into trouble with the 24p issue. If I do and it bothers me i'll look to upgrade to a discrete GPU.
Also I don't have need for an optical drive.

Some questions I have. I'd like for this to be a completely fan less setup, so thoughts on how I can ditch the stock CPU cooler and get something that will still allow me to access both the ram slots as well as the pci slot in case I need to upgrade the GPU later. That is partially why I chose a case with a bit more room, would a Big Shurken 2 fit in here and keep those slots open? Are there other alternatives? I'm a little unclear, is the power supply fan less? If not... suggestions on this style case with a fan less power supply?

What about the ability to wake this setup up with a remote? I use a Harmony 880 which I dont' have a strong desire to replace.

I'm open to changing out components if they make sense, but would like to purchase these bits by the end of the week, sooner is better.

Lastly, I appreciate all the information that people have shared on this forum that made this research so much easier, as well as any advice that will come and keep me from making dumb mistakes.

RE: i3 Quiet build comments welcome - Plecebo - 2012-05-09

Anyone know if the PSU in the APEX Mi-008 case is fanless?

Does the big shurken 2 fit in this case ok? Does it block the PCI slot?

RE: i3 Quiet build comments welcome - scrolling - 2012-05-09

(2012-05-09, 19:48)Plecebo Wrote: Anyone know if the PSU in the APEX Mi-008 case is fanless?

The PSU is not fanless but it's very quiet.