Kodi Community Forum
Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon Nox: Silvo (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+---- Thread: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. (/showthread.php?tid=131524)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - Deano316 - 2012-06-13

(2012-05-21, 20:47)kaburke Wrote: Can right-click menu items be added via scripts or skins? If so, it should be simple enough to add a "Go to extras" item.

Wondered if you'd made any headway with this "Go to extras" shortcut?

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - kaburke - 2012-06-14

Sort of. I've hit a conceptual roadblock.

Let me ask: ideally, in a perfect world, how would movies and extras work together in the skin? Ideas (not in any order, nor are any necesasarily great ideas - just brainstorming):
  1. When browsing movies, they appear as currently, but selecting a movie presents you with a view listing the movie and its extras. Movie collections would just add another layer (Movie Set -> Movies in set -> movie with extras).
  2. When browsing movies, they appear as currently. Selecting a movie starts playback. Each movie has a right-click option to take you to the associated extras. Movie collection behave similarly, but with the added layer (as is the case now).
  3. When browsing movies, they appear as currently. Selecting a movie starts playback. The side menu has an option to take you to the associated extras (under the show preview option, for example). Movie collection behave similarly, but with the added layer (as is the case now).
In cases 2 and 3, what would be the ideal way to get back to the movie from the extras? Is there some other ideal way for movie and extras to work together?

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - Deano316 - 2012-06-14

The first thing I would say about collection is bear in mind that currently the extras for movies in a collection are grouped together so the hyperlink for any movie part of a set will be the same. Looking at your suggestions:

1. Would appear to work universally with all views.

2. This one would need to be altered for different views. There is no right-click in landscape, there is in lowlist for example. Maybe swap the left/right and up/ down controls for lowlist.

3. Could work, seems to be the simplest to implement, would keep them seperate from the regular controls but save you leaving the movie section. Not sure if it would work in kiosk mode though.

I'm slightly biased with regard to viewtypes, I'll admit for me there is only lowlist and Landscape w/logo. Using Landscape logo as an example, to navigate I currently have left/right to browse, enter to play movie, up for trailer, down just goes to the skip browse "thing" which is superflous IMO. Maybe change to left/right to browse, up for trailer, enter to play movie, down to go to extras. Down disabled for any movie without extras. Upon entering extras, escape would return you to movie browsing. Again, could swap the left/right and up/ down controls for lowlist.

If we were to do it this way then it may be better to keep movie extras on a "per film" basis rather than having them grouped in sets. Then you could keep them to one season and activate the "flatten" mode for seasons. One less menu to wade through.

Thoughts?

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - thrak76 - 2012-06-14

What if when you pressed "M" to get to the media player controls/misc. settings overlay, there was a button there that would take you to the extras. In this manner you could also switch to them if you got the notion while watching the movie.

Or... if while watching the film, bookmarks could be used to represent relevant extras as you're watching the film. This is a little out there - but reminiscent of the disc extras where a little icon would pop-up while you were watching, and if you hit enter you'd be taken to the extra.

But how to get back to the film after watching?

Oh, and how is "right-click" implemented on a remote control?

Why not have the extras also accessible in the same manner as trailers are when you bring up the infoscreen for a particular movie?

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - Deano316 - 2012-06-14

(2012-06-14, 20:06)thrak76 Wrote: Oh, and how is "right-click" implemented on a remote control?

Why not have the extras also accessible in the same manner as trailers are when you bring up the infoscreen for a particular movie?

Right click on a remote is exactly as it sounds, most remotes have arrow keys on these days. I know that all the XBMC ones do at least. All the major options are available from the infoscreen, extras would be no different. Not sure about the icon idea, for the first iteration at least. Keep the ideas coming, need as much input as possible. Nod

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - thrak76 - 2012-06-14

I guess i was thinking of right click on a mouse Smile

I suppose if you'd have said right arrow, there would have been no confusion.

(2012-06-14, 20:33)thrak76 Wrote: I guess i was thinking of right click on a mouse Smile

I suppose if you'd have said right arrow, there would have been no confusion.

My mistake, I didn't think. I usually either use my keyboard or my iPad to control XBMC Confused

I don't remember what thread I read this in, but if the extras were named in the same manner as trailers -

movie-extra.xyx
movie-extra1.xyz
movie-extra2.xyz

Then all the extras could be contained within the same folder as the movie. This kind of defeats all the work we put into the cool episode views for the extras though. I wonder if an extras button in the infoscreen could then bring up an episode viewtype (or similar) screen where the extras could be scrolled through?

(2012-06-14, 20:51)thrak76 Wrote: I don't remember what thread I read this in, but if the extras were named in the same manner as trailers -

movie-extra.xyx
movie-extra1.xyz
movie-extra2.xyz

Then all the extras could be contained within the same folder as the movie. This kind of defeats all the work we put into the cool episode views for the extras though. I wonder if an extras button in the infoscreen could then bring up an episode viewtype (or similar) screen where the extras could be scrolled through?

My only questions are how would you tell which extra you're watching and how would you select the one you want?

(2012-06-14, 20:55)Deano316 Wrote:
(2012-06-14, 20:51)thrak76 Wrote: I don't remember what thread I read this in, but if the extras were named in the same manner as trailers -

movie-extra.xyx
movie-extra1.xyz
movie-extra2.xyz

My only questions are how would you tell which extra you're watching and how would you select the one you want?

True.

So, an extras button that is linked to the tvshow folder that contains the "episodes"? There would, I think, need to be a defined naming convention of the tvshow folder linked with the movie - say... for "The Lord of the Rings" there would be a: "The Lord of the Rings-extras" folder to link to with Extras button in the infoscreen.

If it was to keep its current format, I think that naming format would be ideal. This confirms though that extras should be done for each film individually, this naming convention would not accommodate a collection.

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - kaburke - 2012-06-15

Right-click = 'c' key. Not sure how various remotes would handle that. [edit]Right-click seems to work for me in Landscape. Are we not talking about the same thing? Am I messing up terminology?[/edit]

How are you able to make 'up' start the trailer? Aren't trailers now only accessible through the side menu (and not accessible in kiosk mode)?

And perhaps I'm lost here: but way does there need to be a naming convention for the folders? A movie is linked with it's extras TV show. You can either set up a different show for each movie in a collection, or, as we all seem to be currently doing, set up a show with separate seasons for each movie. Certainly, given some of the navigation options, it may make more sense to set each movie's extras up as a separate show.

Am I correct in understanding that, ideally, we would still like to be able to start the movie immediately, without having to go into another sub-view?

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - Deano316 - 2012-06-15

(2012-06-15, 01:45)kaburke Wrote: Right-click = 'c' key. Not sure how various remotes would handle that. [edit]Right-click seems to work for me in Landscape. Are we not talking about the same thing? Am I messing up terminology?[/edit]

How are you able to make 'up' start the trailer? Aren't trailers now only accessible through the side menu (and not accessible in kiosk mode)?

And perhaps I'm lost here: but way does there need to be a naming convention for the folders? A movie is linked with it's extras TV show. You can either set up a different show for each movie in a collection, or, as we all seem to be currently doing, set up a show with separate seasons for each movie. Certainly, given some of the navigation options, it may make more sense to set each movie's extras up as a separate show.

Am I correct in understanding that, ideally, we would still like to be able to start the movie immediately, without having to go into another sub-view?

The 'c' key is the context menu for me, link to tv show etc, by right click I mean right arrow key. Have done a mod to Nox (see mod thread) which allows me to access a trailer in kiosk mode by pressing up, you're not going crazy Wink

For me the best namest convention would be to match the name of the movie with year: e.g. Batman Begins (2005). Keeping the movies with their extras is going to be a must. With moviesets though they will at least be grouped together. Also, I think still being able to start the movie without going to another view is the way forward. I think it's the simplest option.

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - thrak76 - 2012-06-15

(2012-06-15, 02:27)Deano316 Wrote:
(2012-06-15, 01:45)kaburke Wrote: Right-click = 'c' key. Not sure how various remotes would handle that. [edit]Right-click seems to work for me in Landscape. Are we not talking about the same thing? Am I messing up terminology?[/edit]

The 'c' key is the context menu for me, link to tv show etc, by right click I mean right arrow key. For me the best namest convention would be to match the name of the movie with year: e.g. Batman Begins (2005). Keeping the movies with their extras is going to be a must. With moviesets though they will at least be grouped together. Also, I think still being able to start the movie without going to another view is the way forward. I think it's the simplest option.

Yes. C for Context here too. I just have it mapped to a soft-key on my Harmony.

What I mean about the naming conventions is perhaps this: The folders, i guess, wouldn't matter, but perhaps the TVshow itself is named in the manner I spoke of earlier i.e.: Batman (2005)-extras - and this would be in <title> tag in the tvshow.nfo.
And then, if we were to add another option on the infoscreen - "i" on the keyboard - to access that TVshow that is associated with the movie. Press extras and get taken to the top level of the tvshow that is the extras. This way, you can still just play the movie in manners implemented, and if you choose you can get to the extras via the infoscreen - but not the infoscreen while the movie is playing. In that case, I suggested that maybe there is an option on the player controls overlay to go to the extras.

RE: Aeon Nox 3.0: Movie Extras/Bonus Features - How to add them to your setup. - kaburke - 2012-06-15

I've started on a proof of concept script. I have to say that the documentation around all things XBMC is quite lacking. Trying to get a list of linked shows for a movie is proving difficult: I can't find the API methods that I need. I'm going to keep trying, but this could be very slow going until I can get up to speed.