Kodi Community Forum
xbmc minified as a server? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: xbmc minified as a server? (/showthread.php?tid=132919)

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - lloydsmart - 2012-11-12

@manxam

Thanks for the info!

I was previously under the impression that all xbmc-server.cpp did was to enable us to update the library without a GUI, but if I understand your post correctly, you're saying that it can do much more than that - indeed that it can perform all the functions of a full xbmc install (minus actually playing stuff or having a GUI of course) - is this the case? If so, I'm very impressed!

Thanks for responding.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - manxam - 2012-11-12

Lloyd, exactly. It's a full-blown xbmc install minus the gui.

Bootleg, xbmc-server and xbmcvideolibraryscan ARE the same thing.. don't get confused! I've just renamed the file. *I* call it xbmc-server as I keep it running 24/7 as a SERVER whereas vicbitter who originally wrote this cpp used it only to scan the videolibrary and then exited and he, therefore, called it videolibraryscan.

They are the same thing.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - lloydsmart - 2012-11-12

Got it!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. This is good news!

I'm compiling now - looking forward to testing it out!

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-12

That last makefile did the trick. The server is up and running and I can access the webGUI. Set a different port so that it won't interfere with SABnzbd, and it looks pretty good so far. MUCH appreciated on putting up with my stubborn ass.

Got Alpha 6 running from FernetMenta's GIT. Now, off to get the library populated from my existing non shared one.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - vicbitter - 2012-11-12

(2012-11-12, 19:22)manxam Wrote: Vicbitter is looking into changing the build .cpp to workaround this so hopefully he can find a suitable fix so we can build off Master again.

Just compiled the latest code (ie. libxbmc.so) from HEAD and the existing sample code runs without issue.
(2012-11-09, 10:21)jmarshall Wrote: No difference - just don't call CreateGUI() - I'm sure you're already not calling that anyway, right?

Just had a chance to test against the latest code from HEAD and as you said there is no difference.

Thanks!

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - manxam - 2012-11-13

Thanks for the confirmation Vic!
(2012-11-12, 21:39)Bootlegninja Wrote: That last makefile did the trick. The server is up and running and I can access the webGUI. Set a different port so that it won't interfere with SABnzbd, and it looks pretty good so far. MUCH appreciated on putting up with my stubborn ass.

Got Alpha 6 running from FernetMenta's GIT. Now, off to get the library populated from my existing non shared one.

About time damnit. Can I go relax now? Smile

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-13

Please go relax. I should be golden now. Had to recompile since I forgot I was working off a VM. Thank you again.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - manxam - 2012-11-13

Haha, no problem. Glad it's finally working for you. Hopefully the real devs can institute a true headless version in the future or perhaps the UPnP features being developed and merged into Frodo will negate all of this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Truly, the only reason I care about the headless version is that all of my clients are ATV2s and they take forever to scan content, HATE extracting thumbnails, etc.. If it weren't for the lack of a working/reliable Netflix port on the pivos box I'd be all over it as I hear it's far more powerful than the ATV2 and should do away my need for all of...this.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Bootlegninja - 2012-11-13

I can understand that. I'm interested in this since I set my dad up with an AMD box with a Frodo alpha, and I've got 2 R Pi's on order for him as well. Then I built a NAS similar to mine so that he can do it up. Him and my mom argue on who gets to watch what from the AMD box. (at least until the Pi's get here.) I'm just trying to get all this ironed out for when they arrive so it's just a matter of install, edit the advancedsettings and run with it.

I just use my AMD box and windows system as a test bed for what I got to do there. You don't even want to know the cursing I've done over trying to get the PVR in it set up.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - edhen - 2012-11-13

From memory I did 1 or so on the root path, then the program adjusted itself.
just try 0 to start with and see what happens on first scan then adjust as needed.

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - ZIOLele - 2012-11-13

maybe this is not the right thread for this request, so feel free to ignore my question....but do you guys know if the database version will change before frodo final? I'm asking this becouse my server is aa AMD FUsion e-350, and my boxes are ion 1 gen.... so compiling this from scratch requires a lot of time...and i wouldn't want to do it on every semi official update....

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Kalliban - 2012-11-13

Hi!
I have read this thread with great interest and I am wondering as to how well it works? I am currently using mysql and nfs-shares to synchronize my library to multiple xbmc-clients. My first thought was just simply to install this on the server (runs on ubuntu) to keep the library updater automatically, but then I started thinking that maybe it would be better to scrap the mysql+nfs-combination and simply let the xbmc-server share it's database through upnp?

Edit: Just read that the upnp thingy is not yet finished and that the watched-flags and so on won't sync correctly. They also said that they still recomment mysql, so I guess that I'll continue to use mysql+nfs for the time being. I'm still interested in the xbmc-server for automatically updating the library though. Can I set the xbmc-server to automatically update the library at certain times? Maybe by a cron-job via the terminal?

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Robotica - 2012-11-13

(2012-11-13, 14:37)Kalliban Wrote: Hi!
I have read this thread with great interest and I am wondering as to how well it works? I am currently using mysql and nfs-shares to synchronize my library to multiple xbmc-clients. My first thought was just simply to install this on the server (runs on ubuntu) to keep the library updater automatically, but then I started thinking that maybe it would be better to scrap the mysql+nfs-combination and simply let the xbmc-server share it's database through upnp?

Edit: Just read that the upnp thingy is not yet finished and that the watched-flags and so on won't sync correctly. They also said that they still recomment mysql, so I guess that I'll continue to use mysql+nfs for the time being. I'm still interested in the xbmc-server for automatically updating the library though. Can I set the xbmc-server to automatically update the library at certain times? Maybe by a cron-job via the terminal?

Yes, cron is possible and the way to go.. When Frodo is ready, UPNP and this headless approach is a killer combo to fill your library automaticly (scraping) and sharing over multiple devices (UPNP).

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - Kalliban - 2012-11-13

(2012-11-13, 15:32)Robotica Wrote:
(2012-11-13, 14:37)Kalliban Wrote: Hi!

Yes, cron is possible and the way to go.. When Frodo is ready, UPNP and this headless approach is a killer combo to fill your library automaticly (scraping) and sharing over multiple devices (UPNP).

Great, thank you for your responce! I will come back here to try this when Frodo is ready, unless I decide to try it out earlier Smile

RE: xbmc minified as a server? - joelones - 2012-11-13

Was wondering if others experiencing the same, sickbeard sends updates to the this xbmc server exclusively however when clients start, recently added tvshows tend to be missing the preview thumbs.
The video thumbnail section in Advancedsettings in the portable_data directory is configured like so,
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/Video/</from>
      <to>smb://xbmc:[email protected]/xbmc/Thumbnails/Video/</to>
    </substitute>

Thumbnails are in essence shared on a smb share (on an unraid server) for all clients. However, I'm not sure if this still applies to frodo. Using an alpha 7 build from Sept.
Thoughts?