Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such? (/showthread.php?tid=134031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- Raketemensch - 2011-08-14

Personally, a Honeycomb port for XBMC would be the bomb, just for running it on a Logitech Revue, which should be running Honeycomb (via an OTA update) in the next 30-60 days. Having run XBMC, Plex, MP and God knows how many other media centers over the years, the HDMI passthrough on the revue makes DVR integration the simplest thing ever. With XBMC and Samba capabilities, it'll pretty much become the holy grail of media players, IMHO.

- illiac4 - 2011-08-15

greybeard Wrote:I am one of those people who would like to see XBMC on Android tablets and Google TV devices. I have been running XBMC for several years on a 1st gen ATV. About a year ago I brought up an ASUS Ion system of some sort with Ubuntu 10.4 and XBMC. The wife acceptance factor (WAF) of both of those setups is very low, because everytime she turns on either of those systems it is likely to have changed state since it was turned off and she invariably has to navigate back to XBMC, which is obtuse in both of those setups. In frustration I bought an ATV2 as soon as Davilla and the boys got the beta XBMC going on it, and it is the best as far as WAF because I was able to simplify the menus and get everything we do not use (all the apple store crap) off the menus making it easier for her to find XBMC (as well as Netflix and Youtube).

My problem is that the ATV2 port does not support ISOs, and much of my video collection is 3 to 5 part documentaries that I captured and made dvds of years ago and which have not been indexed on thetvdb and I would rather have them under movies anyway. Furthermore, staying ahead of Steve Jobs' brickamatic marketing strategy is a pain. All the gyrations to jailbreak Apple products, prevent them from getting bricked by an auto-update, and to setup a restore plan is also more trouble than I want to deal with. I jb'ed the atv2, but I will not jb my wife's ipad and risk bricking it or cutting her off from the next upgrade of Huff Post. Besides, when IOS 5 comes out, JB'ing may become a much more difficult task, with all the IOS 5 devices tied together by the over the air update capability. (Reminds me of Gary's super network in Antitrust.)

I recently purchased a Toshiba Thrive 32G and would like to be able to run XBMC on it, particularly since it has a full-size HDMI port. I can access the XBMC DLNA server from the Thrive (which most of my other DLNA clients do not see), which is relatively good. I can also access my NAS with DLNA, but the DLink NAS makes me drill down 3 or 4 levels to the content, and does not show all of it for some reason.

What I really want is a horizontal form factor (many of the Ion PC's need to be vertical for cooling) that is an XBMC pure play and costs $200 or less. The Boxee Box is a non-starter because I want it to follow my indexing of video content rather than impose its own overly aggressive method which gets most of everything wrong. I also am an old fart who does not do any social networking or anything similar. 480P or 720P is good enough for me; most of my videos are MPG captured at 4Mbps. (Yes I do have a 52" Sony Bravia 1080P tv).

Then a couple of weeks ago Logitech dropped the price of the Revue to $99 and have recently announced a Honeycomb upgrade by the end of the Summer. I had a very negative experience with a Sony Google TV last Fall (no sound), but I might be willing to work a little harder to get sound working with a $99 box that ran XBMC.

Question: would a port to honeycomb work on both the ntegra tablets and the Logitech Revue, or would those have to be separate ports?

At $99 dollars, I would probably be willing to buy a honeycomb Revue once the software upgrade is available for someone who has proven they can carry out a port in the past.

Use ATV1 and chrystalbuntu.First i was using original installation based on 10.4 osx but not anymore. It boots into XBMC directly plays almost everything and is easy to use. My parents using it and also some other who are not very technical and all are satisfied.

- rflores2323 - 2011-08-15

I just picked up a asus transformer and if xbmc could be installed on this it would be icing on the cake. I really hope someone can do this in the near future as it seems like android is really picking up market and having xbmc on it would just make the experience complete for media playback.

THANKS xbmc Devs for all your work.

- lefty420 - 2011-08-15

rflores2323 Wrote:I just picked up a asus transformer
If you got the docking sation dont let the battery drain out it may never come back to life. There seems to be a hardware flaw Sad I had to return mine a week after I got it for a refund, Asus told me to return it as there was no point fixing it.

- rflores2323 - 2011-08-15

lefty420 Wrote:If you got the docking sation dont let the battery drain out it may never come back to life. There seems to be a hardware flaw Sad I had to return mine a week after I got it for a refund, Asus told me to return it as there was no point fixing it.

dont let the battery run out on the docking station or the tablet?

- davilla - 2011-08-15

nice QC there asus.

- SpenZerX - 2011-08-15

I think porting xbmc to Android is not necessary.

I have mounted all my media which i normally access from my xbmc htpc to my android tab.
There are a lot of apps that can play all the media files very comfortable. No need for xbmc. Only very high quality media (1080) is actually a problem. Its a wlan and/or tegra problem. Mkv,mp3,pdf,mp4,jpg...

What i have not found is an good app for movie file management and selection with imdb support...

PLEASE ADD TV SUPPORT TO XBMC BEFORE ANDROID SETTOP BOXES OR TABS/PHONES CONNECTED TO THE SCREEN WILL REPLACE THE HTPC AND XBMC.

SpenZerX

- atari800 - 2011-08-15

I dont think XBMC is going to close shop if a tablet or phone can communicate to a TV.
But since this is free and open source, nothing stops "them" from ripping XBMC off in concepts.

- Nutdotnet - 2011-08-21

SpenZerX Wrote:I think porting xbmc to Android is not necessary.

I have mounted all my media which i normally access from my xbmc htpc to my android tab.
There are a lot of apps that can play all the media files very comfortable. No need for xbmc. Only very high quality media (1080) is actually a problem. Its a wlan and/or tegra problem. Mkv,mp3,pdf,mp4,jpg...

What i have not found is an good app for movie file management and selection with imdb support...

PLEASE ADD TV SUPPORT TO XBMC BEFORE ANDROID SETTOP BOXES OR TABS/PHONES CONNECTED TO THE SCREEN WILL REPLACE THE HTPC AND XBMC.

SpenZerX

I disagree. I have an Android tablet and two Google TV setups. Sure, I can use the built in media players to watch my saved shows, but I want XBMC for the front-end. It looks so much better and has so much more functionality than what you get from Google, Sony & Logitech.

So...someone should take this on. I'd be happy to donate.

- rflores2323 - 2011-08-21

+1 on donation if we get a developer working on this.

- mullcom - 2011-08-25

I would probably prefer one type of sync instead of porting the whole XBMC for android.

what I mean is that when I start a movie on the Media Station to display it also on the plate. thus one can also see TV kannaler if you have TV tuner

- epoke - 2011-08-27

Recently a Korean company launched HD media player based on Android 2.3. link -> Valueplus Tizzbird
It has interesting specification. 1Ghz CPU, 2GB flash memory, hard disk installable, HDMI and componet video, coaxial and optical sound, USB 3.0. 3D interface based on Open GL-ES, full-HD video playback support(?). But it's price is not cheap in Korea(about US$ 230).
I think this will be a interesting machine for XBMC.

- davilla - 2011-08-27

epoke Wrote:Recently a Korean company launched HD media player based on Android 2.3. link -> Valueplus Tizzbird
It has interesting specification. 1Ghz CPU, 2GB flash memory, hard disk installable, HDMI and componet video, coaxial and optical sound, USB 3.0. 3D interface based on Open GL-ES, full-HD video playback support(?). But it's price is not cheap in Korea(about US$ 230).

For $230, I can get an Ion based box.

- vikjon0 - 2011-08-27

Quote:For $230, I can get an Ion based box.
Still not a bad price, assuming the HW is what is needed? Sure it is not 99$, but the out of the box IONs e.g. ASROCK are getting more and more pricy for every day. (by adding better components and 3D)

- SpenZerX - 2011-08-29

epoke Wrote:Recently a Korean company launched HD media player based on Android 2.3. link -> Valueplus Tizzbird

I think next year this devices will flood the markets with low prices. And they will be based on Android. So its best to start from scratch with an XBMC for Android. Split it in 3 or more APPS for movies, music, pictures, TV ... with nice widgets and modern touch user interface (somthing like Youtube on Honeycomp). Than Mobile Phones, Tablets (sales will rise!), TV-Mediaplayer running android can enjoy the new XBMC.

SpenZerX