Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such? (/showthread.php?tid=134031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- dexx - 2011-10-24

With the explosion in Android tablets (many quite powerful), XBMC would be a great app to add. In addition, theres a growing number of Android based media players. ie a tablet without the screen that connects to a tv via hdmi.

- Starstream - 2011-10-24

phat Wrote:I actually have a prototype RK2918 STB device from a Chinese manufacturer and RockChip themselves. It's running a version of Android 2.3 that's from a tablet.

I'm not an engineer, but I can connect XBMC dev's to the right people who I'm sure can get them info and hardware to help with the porting.

It's a really nice device and I would love to have XBMC on it.

If you have contacts with Rockchip your better off getting them to port GeeXbox so their players dual boot between that and Android. GeeXbox is a small linux OS that boots into XBMC and it already supports a few Arm platforms like OMAP4 and Tegra 2. If Rockchip ported GeeXbox themselves then I'm sure it would boost interest in their Arm players.

XBMC devs have said various Android software issues are blocking XBMC running on it so until Android matures to a point were XBMC can run were probably not going to see it any time soon.

- phat - 2011-10-25

Starstream Wrote:If you have contacts with Rockchip your better off getting them to port GeeXbox so their players dual boot between that and Android. GeeXbox is a small linux OS that boots into XBMC and it already supports a few Arm platforms like OMAP4 and Tegra 2. If Rockchip ported GeeXbox themselves then I'm sure it would boost interest in their Arm players.

XBMC devs have said various Android software issues are blocking XBMC running on it so until Android matures to a point were XBMC can run were probably not going to see it any time soon.

I see that XBMC is running as a frontend. Does that mean that it supports all the add-ons, apps and repositories?

- topfs2 - 2011-10-25

Starstream Wrote:If you have contacts with Rockchip your better off getting them to port GeeXbox so their players dual boot between that and Android. GeeXbox is a small linux OS that boots into XBMC and it already supports a few Arm platforms like OMAP4 and Tegra 2. If Rockchip ported GeeXbox themselves then I'm sure it would boost interest in their Arm players.

IMO its better to get xbmc on android than xbmc and general Linux on one device. We are investigating android and the recent versions of the ndk adds lots (perhaps all) of the needed tools. So if anyone wishes to donate for android development (with hardware) please.use the contact info on thr homepage and perhaps we can do something
AFAIK no device even have a tablet running Android, even less something htpc like. (Tegra devices have never counted as they are to slow) .as always don't see this as any type.of promise as it depends on some developer taking lots of his freetime and devote to this (big project) .

- slyi - 2011-10-25

topfs2 Wrote:IMO its better to get xbmc on android than xbmc and general Linux on one device. We are investigating android and the recent versions of the ndk adds lots (perhaps all) of the needed tools. So if anyone wishes to donate for android development (with hardware) please.use the contact info on thr homepage and perhaps we can do something
AFAIK no device even have a tablet running Android, even less something htpc like. (Tegra devices have never counted as they are to slow) .as always don't see this as any type.of promise as it depends on some developer taking lots of his freetime and devote to this (big project) .

If dev's dont have the hardware could you consider starting with http://www.android-x86.org as you put this on regular beige box's rather than buying special hardware and later move to ARM hardware once it semi-running. According to android-x86 forums have ffmpeg working on already.

Would you consider creating a wiki page of required dependent libraries for the port and what has been successfully compiled. Is it (libxmu fribidi mpeg2dec ffmpeg samba fontconfig curl python libass libmodplug libmicrohttpd wavpack libmms libsdl-image libsdl-mixer virtual/egl mysql5 sqlite3 libmms faad2 libcdio libpcre boost lzo2 enca avahi libsamplerate0 libxinerama libxrandr libxtst bzip2 virtual/libsdl jasper zip-native zlib)?
Did you see https://github.com/vault for fontconfig port.

Can i ask what is the main tasks to port it, apart from the dependencies, for basic painting the xbmc menu system, i doubt you require ffmepg for the main menu.

Is is essentially integrating android_native_app_glue.h for the the windowing/Winsystem.h interface to replace X11/Xlib.h?

- stevellion - 2011-10-27

Android Tablet, running XBMC hmm.. You know, I'd buy an Android tablet if I could run XBMC on it..

Then, I could mount it in the car for my kid to watch, and watch whatever I like on the Sofa, while my kid is watching Peppa Pig.

I know there are complications and generally the hardware is not up to scratch, but just to put my +1 to the "would like to have it"

- HwyXingFrog - 2011-10-28

I wonder if this will help:

http://googletv.blogspot.com/2011/10/update-on-google-tv.html

- topfs2 - 2011-10-29

slyi Wrote:If dev's dont have the hardware could you consider starting with http://www.android-x86.org as you put this on regular beige box's rather than buying special hardware and later move to ARM hardware once it semi-running. According to android-x86 forums have ffmpeg working on already.

Would you consider creating a wiki page of required dependent libraries for the port and what has been successfully compiled. Is it (libxmu fribidi mpeg2dec ffmpeg samba fontconfig curl python libass libmodplug libmicrohttpd wavpack libmms libsdl-image libsdl-mixer virtual/egl mysql5 sqlite3 libmms faad2 libcdio libpcre boost lzo2 enca avahi libsamplerate0 libxinerama libxrandr libxtst bzip2 virtual/libsdl jasper zip-native zlib)?
Did you see https://github.com/vault for fontconfig port.

Can i ask what is the main tasks to port it, apart from the dependencies, for basic painting the xbmc menu system, i doubt you require ffmepg for the main menu.

Is is essentially integrating android_native_app_glue.h for the the windowing/Winsystem.h interface to replace X11/Xlib.h?

It might be a good develo0ment toll but only as an extra. People need to understand that there is no alternative to real hw access. Without devs having real hardware to play with a port will never happen. With hardware it might. One of the reasons the ios port happened was that an interested developer got a few apple TVs to play with. If no one had bothered donating them it might never have happened.

- hbryan - 2011-10-30

I for one would start doing crazy backflips if this thing got ported to android... so how about we make something happen...

Supercurio got a GTAB from SAMSUNG directly. Maybe we can start a petition to get you guys a couple... if that doesnt work I'd be willing to donate $20 to the cause... maybe you guys could get a couple of the cheaper ones...

So GUYS CAN WE PLEASE START A THREAD ON XDA-Developers and have everyone beg samsung to send them a TAB 10.1 and also start donating so they can purchase a couble tablets themselves.... ? I'll start if off with $20 is anyone else willing to donate?

- hbryan - 2011-10-30

please pm me so I can get in touch on how to donate... I don't use paypal... so we can make other arrangements....

- johoja - 2011-10-30

hbryan Wrote:I for one would start doing crazy backflips if this thing got ported to android... so how about we make something happen...

Supercurio got a GTAB from SAMSUNG directly. Maybe we can start a petition to get you guys a couple... if that doesnt work I'd be willing to donate $20 to the cause... maybe you guys could get a couple of the cheaper ones...

So GUYS CAN WE PLEASE START A THREAD ON XDA-Developers and have everyone beg samsung to send them a TAB 10.1 and also start donating so they can purchase a couble tablets themselves.... ? I'll start if off with $20 is anyone else willing to donate?

I'd be willing to chip in, but why not get something like the Logitech Revue it's 99$ and it's running Android/Google TV, once it's on there it won't be hard to have it working on Tablets/Phones. It's a good dev device similar to the AppleTV.

- phat - 2011-10-31

I'm pretty sure I can get any tool required for the RK2918 and I'm willing to donate some money as well. I sent an email using the forum about a week ago and have not received any response.

I think using the RK2918 is a better idea then anything out there because you wont have to worry about jailbreaking, rooting, unlocking or any software updates that could hinder its use. It would be an extremely open platform and could easily be sold in the 100$ price range.

It's also already compatible with pretty much any Logitech/MS keyboard, mouse and webcam.

If someone could contact me we could discuss more details.

- Rohith - 2011-11-01

I was just about to create a thread for this and did a search to be safe.

Good to see this thread on the forum ... and wow 40000+ views of this thread shows the super high demand for an XBMC app on android.

I would love to use XBMC on my android tablet and even my android phone as I have lots of space on the phone and huge media collection (music and videos)
With the tablet I would want to connect it to the TV and manage the media files.

XBMC is available on ipad, iphone and apple TV2 .... please get it on Android too.
With the sales of systems running Android OS being higher than the sales of IOS systems, there is definitely more demand for XBMC on android.

I have never had the opportunity to use XBMC since I don't use a HTPC or an XBOX (I am a PC gamer) .... so looking forward for XBMC on android ASAP. I don't even mind paying a few dollars to buy the app on android.

XBMC would take the media player experience to a whole new level due to its amazing GUI and navigation/media jukebox, and I am sure everyone will love it.
I recently checked XBMC on my friend's HTPC and I have never seen a media player menu/organization so perfect as XBMC.

- davilla - 2011-11-01

I think some are missing the point. There are some very good technical reasons why xbmc is not on Android platform right now. They seem to be continually ignored Smile It's not a 'demand' or any other thing like that. It's technical plain and simple. Once the technical reasons are resolved, then and only then will android become a viable platform.

- Rohith - 2011-11-01

davilla Wrote:I think some are missing the point. There are some very good technical reasons why xbmc is not on Android platform right now. They seem to be continually ignored Smile It's not a 'demand' or any other thing like that. It's technical plain and simple. Once the technical reasons are resolved, then and only then will android become a viable platform.

Sorry, I didn't really read all the posts in this thread.

So, you are saying that XBMC is not on Android at this point simply because of technical issues of the Android OS with XBMC.
Will it be possible anytime soon to resolve these issues Huh, because a lot of the android users feel like we are missing XBMC when the iOS users can enjoy it fully.
Also, when planning please consider older firmwares above 2.0 since many people still use old android firmware.

Adding to smartphones and tablets, now there are TV media players that support android too (like Xtreamer Prodigy) ... so my plan is to use XBMC through android on the prodigy media player to navigate through the media files I store on a 3TB HDD or on a network. I am doing this as its a cheaper method than getting a HTPC to have XBMC.

Thanks for the info ... will be patiently waiting for XBMC whenever it becomes available on android Big Grin