Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to Android OS so that it can run on Google TV based platforms and such? (/showthread.php?tid=134031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- topfs2 - 2011-11-01

davilla Wrote:I think some are missing the point. There are some very good technical reasons why xbmc is not on Android platform right now. They seem to be continually ignored Smile It's not a 'demand' or any other thing like that. It's technical plain and simple. Once the technical reasons are resolved, then and only then will android become a viable platform.

AFAIK most of the really no-go problems are fixed in the later NDKs. Ofcourse there are some bumps left though Smile And there may very well be no-go problems left. Equally possible that there is a technical problem which might be possible to overcome if a dev interested enough have hw Smile

I'd bet if an interested developer which have time for it had (I'm interested but no time) the hw it would be far more likely than now though Smile

- davilla - 2011-11-01

"Also, when planning please consider older firmwares above 2.0 since many people still use old android firmware."

Depends, XBMC plays audio/video content. While audio might not be an issue video MUST have access to hardware decoders and the arm platform powerful enough to handle GUI rendering (including hw jpeg decompression). Without those, it's useless and the reason why XBMC for iOS is only supported on Apple devices that have the armv7 chipset. For example, the iPhone 3G vs 3GS, the 3GS has armv7, the 3G is armv6. We don't support the 3G.

- phat - 2011-11-01

The Apple TV2 is an Apple A4 (ARM Cortex-A8). The RockChip 2918 processor is also based on the ARM Cortex-A8. It also has full 2D/3D with OPENGL support.

It even has a TS port for DVB-T or ATSC.

- Rohith - 2011-11-01

davilla Wrote:While audio might not be an issue video MUST have access to hardware decoders and the arm platform powerful enough to handle GUI rendering (including hw jpeg decompression).

What's the possibility of having XBMC on this: http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer-prodigy-upgraded/

It uses the latest Realtek chip/CPU (Realtex 1186) which supports Android and there are a few other media players released recently with the same chip and more to come.

I know XBMC for some reason will not work with realtek, but this chip is new/different so we might be lucky Big Grin
Since there is no sigma chip based media player that supports full HD 3D videos, the realtek chip will be widely used as it is currently the only chip installed in media players to support full 3D Blu-ray ISOs and also have support for Android.

- davilla - 2011-11-01

phat Wrote:The Apple TV2 is an Apple A4 (ARM Cortex-A8). The RockChip 2918 processor is also based on the ARM Cortex-A8. It also has full 2D/3D with OPENGL support.

And your point is Huh?, they have a similar arm CPU and has some sort of gl which means squat in the complete picture. I really wish the arm-chair pundents would just stop with useless comparisons. XBMC is NOT a trivial app that is easy to port, there are so many pitfalls involved.

- slyi - 2011-11-01

topfs2 Wrote:AFAIK most of the really no-go problems are fixed in the later NDKs. Ofcourse there are some bumps left though Smile And there may very well be no-go problems left. Equally possible that there is a technical problem which might be possible to overcome if a dev interested enough have hw Smile

I'd bet if an interested developer which have time for it had (I'm interested but no time) the hw it would be far more likely than now though Smile

I love the work you and your team have done for my ATV2. I dont have cpp exp to attempt this myself. If it helps, i made a donation to xbmc the price & shipping of the http://blog.gtvhacker.com/2011/logitech-revue-for-89-99 which you may review post eden.
Can i ask
  1. Could you create wiki page for android and list what dependant libs are required and compile or blocked status
  2. Is system.h & windowing\Winsystem.h the main xbmc platform specific pieces or are there others apart from the dependencies?

- phat - 2011-11-02

davilla Wrote:And your point is Huh?, they have a similar arm CPU and has some sort of gl which means squat in the complete picture. I really wish the arm-chair pundents would just stop with useless comparisons. XBMC is NOT a trivial app that is easy to port, there are so many pitfalls involved.

What I do know is that there's lots of interest and if there is interested developers with time then I think something can be worked out to help. I'm simply discussing it and not trying to pressure or tell people what to do. I'm sorry if I sounded like an "arm-chair pundent".

- vinistois - 2011-11-02

Almost anyone interested in XBMC is no doubt also interested in Android. I was actually quite surprised to see the IOS release. All Apple fans I know would be more comfortable sticking with the apple software, because they're not geeks, they're not modders. If they were modders, they'd have an android device and not an IOS device.

Anyways, I have 4 android devices in my household, as well as 3 XBMC builds. Its a total shame that I can't run xbmc on my galaxy tab 10.1. I know it can play the media - I stream HD videos from my home network (and even from icefilms) onto the tablet all the time.

XBMC for android would easily earn a $10 price tag. I know that's not how it works for xbmc... but its a shame!

- Robotica - 2011-11-02

davilla Wrote:....XBMC is NOT a trivial app that is easy to port, there are so many pitfalls involved.

AFAIK, Plex has ported itself as Android app.

Which means that it can run on sub €100,- devices.

- johoja - 2011-11-02

Robotica Wrote:AFAIK, Plex has ported itself as Android app.

The way Plex works is completely different i.e) they separated into a server/client model.

The Plex app can't play any local content, all it can do is talk to the media server, and stream content to your device.

- vinistois - 2011-11-02

johoja Wrote:The way Plex works is completely different i.e) they separated into a server/client model.

The Plex app can't play any local content, all it can do is talk to the media server, and stream content to your device.

I think that's all anybody wants from an XBMC android port. It can play media from internet sources, from an XBMC upnp source, or just from the NAS. I don't know many people that are actually transferring HD movies onto their mobile devices for playback, its all streaming.

I mean, you can only fit a handful of movies on a mobile device anyways. Hardly worth a 'local library'.

- hbryan - 2011-11-02

vinistois Wrote:I think that's all anybody wants from an XBMC android port. It can play media from internet sources, from an XBMC upnp source, or just from the NAS. I don't know many people that are actually transferring HD movies onto their mobile devices for playback, its all streaming.

I mean, you can only fit a handful of movies on a mobile device anyways. Hardly worth a 'local library'.

No that's not what we want. We want the real deal holyfield. We want a fully functional port of XBMC. If there are technical limitations I understand. I am pretty sure that the main issue here is finding a developer with the neccessary skills who is interested enough to take on this headache of a job.

If you guys need the hardware I will pay for it myself and send it to you. If the hardware you require/desire is too much for me alone then we will all chip in to make it work. I said before I would donate $20 I will step it up to $50 because I would really like to have this running on my galaxy tab 10.1

TEAM XBMC,
I love and appreciate all you do. One day I will snap some pics of my setup and hope you guys put me on feature friday. Anyhoo. Thank you for all your GENIUS and hard work on XBMC. That's the kind of stuff that microsoft or Apple would charge buckets of money for. I can't blame you if you don't want to undertake what seems to be a major pain. However, I hope you consider that Android users are your loyal followers. We are the supporters of open source products and innovation. So please we bef of you. Tell us what you need and we will make it happen. Please find someone who would atleast take a really good look and evaluate the possibility of a port in depth. If the conclusion is "It looks like too much of a pain in the ass" then atleast you tried and we are satisfied. But please take a look.

I don't use paypal but pm me and I will get a generous donation to you by another method.

thanks for reading this novel of a comment.

- phat - 2011-11-03

The issue is obviously finding a dev(s) with time. If some are available I can put them in touch with people who will donate significantly to the cause, be it in hardware and/or financially.

- Carcharius - 2011-11-03

topfs2 Wrote:AFAIK most of the really no-go problems are fixed in the later NDKs. Ofcourse there are some bumps left though Smile And there may very well be no-go problems left. Equally possible that there is a technical problem which might be possible to overcome if a dev interested enough have hw Smile

It's been a while since I did any development (not really done any since the xbox days - see if anyone remembers the name lol) but, being a fan of XBMC and having just got an Android phone, I'm quite interested in having a look to see what (if anything) can be done to bring the two together.

Problem is - the last time I looked at the XBMC source it was for the Xbox. From the looks of things it's a much different and larger beast than it used to be.

Does anything exist that details (or can anyone tell me) what the core parts are? i.e. what libs are needed as a minimum to get XBMC up and running?

And if anyone has any hints on getting the XBMC build process and Android SDK/NDK to play nicely that would be appreciated Smile

Carch

PS if people don't remember from my name - the xbox port of Quake 3 - that was me!

- hbryan - 2011-11-04

Charcharius,
Thank you for taking an interest in this. I am super excited about this. You are about to make a whole lot of people happy!!!!! I promise to keep my homo comments to myself ;-) but after you take a look please keep us abreast. Good luck man. Whatever you need (financial) let me know... Thanks a lot man...