Kodi Community Forum
Is this12TB Nas worth getting? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Is this12TB Nas worth getting? (/showthread.php?tid=134059)

Is this12TB Nas worth getting? - wally101 - 2012-06-15

I currently have my HTPC ([Micro-ATX] A8-3850 (4x2.9Ghz) + HD6550D) and a LaCie Network Space 2 2TB.

The NAS is pretty much full now and getting very slow. It also means I have to download my tv shows in SD......yock Sad

This is the NAS I have been looking at. Its a Synology DS411+II

Heres a bit of the hardware
CPU Frequency : Dual Core 1.8GHz
Floating Point
Memory : DDR2 1GB
Internal HDD/SSD : 3.5" or 2.5" SATA(II) X4 (Hard drive not included)
Max Internal Capacity : 12TB (4X 3TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types) (See All Supported HDD)
External HDD Interface : USB 2.0 Port X 2, eSATA Port X 1
Size (HxWxD) : 184 X 168 X 230 mm
Weight : 2.23Kg
LAN : Gigabit X1
Wake on LAN/WAN
System Fan : 80x80mm x2
Wireless Support
Noise Level : 22.5 dB(A)
Power Recovery
AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC
Power Frequency : 50 / 60Hz, Single Phase
Power Consumption : 41,8W (Access) ; 16,5W (HDD Hibernation)
Operating Temperature : 5°C ~ 35°C (40°F ~ 95°F)
Storage Temperature : 15 to 155°F (-10 to 70°C)
Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
Maximum Operating Altitude : 10,000 feet
Certification : FCC Class B, CE Class B, BSMI Class B
Warranty : 2 Years
Info from Synology website

I want to get 4x3TB drives for it. Which would be the best?

I still do not know which variant of RAID to choose from. To be honest im a bit confused by it all. Without knowing all the ins and outs and variables I don't want to made a mistake. Just off this description is there any type that people would recommend for my use. Im thinking RAID 5
Basically Its just for media storage and it connected to my HTPC via ethernet cable.

Only other thing is that its runs off a Dual Core 1.8Ghz Atom CPU with 1GB RAM. Will this be powerful enough as the drives get full?

Would anybody recommend this drive or something similar?

Thanks for reading

RE: Is this12TB Nas worth getting? - krasv - 2012-06-15

Synology and QNAP boxes are pretty common and sophisticated - its not a mistake getting one.
However, they are pretty pricey.
The DS411+II is actually quite powerful, if you aim for pure storage and dont want to run stuff like sabnzbd or unrar you might want to check the ds411j.

When i was in your situation, about one year ago, i also considered those NAS boxes, but ended up buying a HP N40l (£239.00) and an Unraid License (69$) which has room for 6 drives (2 of them in the dvd slot).

If you dont like tinkering and want something that functions out of the box - a QNAP or Synology box is the way to go.

RE: Is this12TB Nas worth getting? - GortWillSaveUs - 2012-06-15

Why not consider build an unRaid server.
With unRaid,...you can use mixed hard drives,..and add drives as you need them, and as you can afford them.
I built mine using drives, an old mother board, and ram I had laying around.
Only had to buy a case and power supply.

See my build link below for details.

RE: Is this12TB Nas worth getting? - Beer40oz - 2012-06-15

(2012-06-15, 11:03)krasv Wrote: Synology and QNAP boxes are pretty common and sophisticated - its not a mistake getting one.
However, they are pretty pricey.
The DS411+II is actually quite powerful, if you aim for pure storage and dont want to run stuff like sabnzbd or unrar you might want to check the ds411j.

When i was in your situation, about one year ago, i also considered those NAS boxes, but ended up buying a HP N40l (£239.00) and an Unraid License (69$) which has room for 6 drives (2 of them in the dvd slot).

If you dont like tinkering and want something that functions out of the box - a QNAP or Synology box is the way to go.

Right.... if you don't mind the price and wan't something out of the box go for it! I know I would.

But I do have an unRAID server. At first you need to learn a few things. After it's all set-up it's pretty nice.

RE: Is this12TB Nas worth getting? - DJ_Izumi - 2012-06-15

I don't understand the point of building or buying a NAS that can only hold four 3.5" drives. You can use a pretty cheap ATX case that can take ten drives (If you use 5.25"->3.5" drive brackets) without much money. Then just toss in a cheap and economical motherboard, a PCI-E SATA controller card and you can readily max the thing out. It seems like the cheap and effective solution.