Kodi Community Forum
[XBMCbuntu] XBMC 12.00 - Frodo beta release - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [XBMCbuntu] XBMC 12.00 - Frodo beta release (/showthread.php?tid=134252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - fritsch - 2012-09-03

@sirhcjw:
Check which version you are running: dpkg -l |grep xbmc

Current Testing is broken as hell :-) segfaults, e.g. The new merge window just has started and the first bleeding edge packages are as expected.

We made that one clear, long before: testing will break from time to time. If you need something more stable, please use the "tested" versions out of "xbmc-xvba" ppa.

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - sirhcjw - 2012-09-03

ok I might try and identify the packages causing issues and roll back to older versions

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - Csimbi - 2012-09-05

I understand these are all pre-releases, but what is the latest stable-ish version? (No excessive CPU use, proper DTS, etc.)
The original post is from June.
I'd like to get rid of this bug and be up-to-date as possible.
Thank you!

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - wsnipex - 2012-09-05

use the xbmc-xvba ppa

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - Csimbi - 2012-09-05

I have XBMCbuntu (Oneiric). Does it still apply or do I need to install Pangolin first?
If it still applies, do you mean this one?:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
Thank you!

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - ialand - 2012-09-06

(2012-08-31, 10:18)wsnipex Wrote: Audio Engine builds should list all your devices by default, just select the correct one. If your device really is not listed, please report it to the Audio Engine devs.

Yeah, I thought it would, but it doesn't.. I'm using your PPA and I get exactly ONE device listed for both audio and passthru (it's a bizarre concatenation of the NVIDIA:HDMI and my tv Make/Model) it won't let me choose any other audio device.. it's working ok (mostly) but it's bizarre. It won't even let me enter a custom device if I wanted to (and yes, all devices are unmuted)

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - wsnipex - 2012-09-06

are any other devices connected?

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - d_hero - 2012-09-06

wsnipex - is there a ppa that contains xbmcbuntu like the one in this thread ie pre frodo, audioengine, but also contains PVR? does the ppa in your sig contain all that?

Thanks

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - wsnipex - 2012-09-06

yes, my ppa does contain PVR, so does this xbmcbuntu here, because it uses my packages Wink

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - d_hero - 2012-09-06

ah ok, so the build i have installed, dated sometime at the end of july will contain it too? thats great as I want to play around with it tonight

Edit: do your packages contain the Mediaportal addon?

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - ialand - 2012-09-07

(2012-09-06, 10:31)wsnipex Wrote: are any other devices connected?

Well, I have one TV connected... XBMC>NVIDIA 210>TOSHIBA

I show 4 'devices' in the mixer, all unmuted..

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0

the audio settings page show, for both Audio Output and Passthru

HDA NVidia, TSB Toshiba-TV ON HDMI

(yes, it stops after HDMI) and you can't change it.

I'm about to roll back to the V2.ISO, the update I did from your PPA last night is WAYYYY too unstable (I sneezed and it crashed Smile ) I could do V4.ISO if it would help.

small note: tried the dpkg -i to roll back and it failed with an 'invalid character' in the .deb file names

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - fritsch - 2012-09-07

@ialand:
You manually installed the pulseaudio sound server?

Do:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins libasound2-plugins:i386

Afterwards reboot and retry.

Normally it should not "mute" your sound, but we have seen a lot of strange stuff with pulseaudio. And as wsnipex builds without pulse support, you won't need it anyways.

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - ialand - 2012-09-07

(2012-09-07, 08:01)fritsch Wrote: @ialand:
You manually installed the pulseaudio sound server?

Do:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins libasound2-plugins:i386

Afterwards reboot and retry.

Normally it should not "mute" your sound, but we have seen a lot of strange stuff with pulseaudio. And as wsnipex builds without pulse support, you won't need it anyways.

Neyt. I installed nothing extra. I went from wsnipex's ISO and then added his PPA, Then

sudo apt-get update;
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin
sudo reboot

Nothing extra installed. I have gone back to the v2.iso (wiped drive) but haven't updated any further and haven't made any other changes.

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - ChewbaccaMan - 2012-09-14

(2012-07-24, 23:17)coolblue2000 Wrote:
(2012-06-27, 15:48)d_hero Wrote:
(2012-06-26, 11:08)erhnam Wrote: Could you be more precise on what you did? This allows me to incorporate this into a next version.

I followed this instructions:

On my Mythbuntu and MCE remote setup:

Created a new rule:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/90-mcewakeup.rules

Entered this in with the correct product and vendor id's (with the help of lsusb):

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0471", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0815" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"

Edited one line in my grub (added "usbcore.autosuspend=-1 acpi_enforce_resources=lax"):

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1 acpi_enforce_resources=lax"

Then:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Then after a reboot tested it and it worked.

The problem is that it relies on the vendor id and product id for each different usb receiver
(2012-06-26, 11:07)erhnam Wrote: ppa is enabled. @all users; to upgrade; simply use the sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade commands.

Which ppa do i use to update the build? or is it already in there? Im running the build from the first post with nvidia card, not ATI, but the only ppa i can find refers to ATI cards only?

Wow, I have been banging my head against walls trying to get my mce to wake my machine after upgrading to xbmc 11. This has sorted my issue perfectly. I would note though that if like me gedit returned "Command not found" just edit the files directly using winscp or similar software. Thank you very much for this

I got my screen sizing issues sorted out (it was a TV issue), but my machine also won't wake with my MCE remote. I'm a bit of a linux newb here. Do I need to ssh into my XBMCbuntu machine to run these commands, or can i do it from the terminal in XBMCbuntu? Thanks.

RE: [XBMCbuntu 12.04 alpha release] with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend - jfath - 2012-09-17

The Catalyst 12.4 drivers in fglrx-updates 8.96 have a known bug that causes hdmi sound to be lost when the connected TV is powered off then back on. Sound will return if the user logs out/in or the hdmi cable is disconnected then re-connected. Two of my HDMI connected machines had this problem and two didn't. The two that didn't show the problem were connected to older HDTVs that may not have signaled the power-off correctly.

The Catalyst bug is fixed in 12.6 and later. Unfortunately, support for some older GPUs was also dropped in 12.6.

I downloaded the 12.8 driver from AMD, but was having a tough time getting the module to build and install correctly on my E-350 based machines. The build and install appeared to work, but the kernel module wouldn't load. The log seemed to indicate the module was not seeing the E-350 APU. I noticed that the Quantal packages were just updated to Catalyst 12.8, so I downloaded and installed those packages. The problem is gone and I'm now running the latest Catalyst.

There were a couple of tricks involved, so here's a howto for anyone else who wants to try the Quantal packages:
1) Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ and download theses .deb files:
fglrx-updates_8.982-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
fglrx-amdcccle-updates_8.982-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
fglrx-updates-dev_8.982-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
fontconfig_2.10.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
fontconfig-config_2.10.1-0ubuntu3_all.deb
libfontconfig1_2.10.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
2) Move these files to a new directory, then cd to that directory and sudo dpkg -i *.deb
3) Building of fglrx module will fail because patches can't be applied. These patches are specific to newer versions of the kernel and aren't needed for Precise.
4) Edit /usr/src/fglrx-updates-8.982/dkms.conf and add these lines at the bottom:
PATCH_MATCH[0]="^3.5"
PATCH_MATCH[1]="^3.5"
PATCH_MATCH[2]="^3.5"
This will keep the patches from being applied to non-3.5 kernels.
5) sudo dpkg-reconfigure fglrx-updates
6) reboot

The usual disclaimers:
This worked for me, but may not work for you.
This may render your system unusable now or in the future
If you decide to try this update, please back up your system first